PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to get xbox 360 if you don't have HDTV

archangelsi
12-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi All,

Just need a lil help. Is it worth getting the Xbox 360 if you don't have a HDTV? I don't plan on getting HDTV for awhile. Please help!

SamSmith
12-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Thats fine, theres plenty of Hdtv's to be found.
Can not say the same about 360's.
Get your 360 first, then if you want to get a hdtv do it after.
I have my 360 running on a crappy tv, not hdtv :( It still does look good though.

Ninjermy
12-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Well man, there is no right answer to this, its opinion. Obviously not everyone with the 360 has HDTV. How much do you care about graphics? Mabye you should play it non-hdtv and hdtv so u can compare. And remember the gameplay is the same and that matters most imo

J3bus WTF
12-17-2005, 06:53 PM
You can always play it on your monitor, it had hdtv. Thats if a smaller screen doesnt bug you.

greenpyro
12-20-2005, 08:21 PM
to be completely honest. yes buy the 360 even if your tv is not hd. that's what i did, and it's still b-e-a-utiful. i've played 360 on an hdtv at futureshop, and it was better, but not so much better that i'd wait to get an hdtv before getting a 360. that's just one man's opinion though.

DJ tx
01-02-2006, 10:23 AM
I totally agree with GreenPyro,

I have a 27 inch Sony WEGA, standard definition flat tube TV, bought it about 6 months ago for $300, and I have it connected with the component cables which is the best way you can connect a standard TV, and it looks awesome. I haven't tried connecting it over standard composite AV cables yet, although im sure it will decrease quality, but the component hookup over a standard large-ish TV is completely a good experience.

If you plan on playing King Kong they say it will view very dark and be hard to play, but all else seems fine. I have to admit that I have been used to graphics on a 20 inch TV and my original playstation which obviously is not that great, but I have also seen the kiosks at target and circuit city where their 360s are connected to HD sets, and while those look amazing, I am completely happy with my standard TV until I can afford an HD TV. I would not wait to get a 360 for this reason alone.

Only reason I see waiting is obvioiusly for MS to get more unts on shelves if you prefer not to have to stalk your local stores or camp out all night to get one. Not to mention that instead of paying so much $$$ to get one on eBay immediately, you could wait and be guaranteed the regular $399 price, or maybe lower if MS decides to have a slight price drop.

Anyway, just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth, 360 looks great on standard TVs, just not quite as perfect as on an HD. :)

good luck finding a 360. I found one by showing up right as my target store was opening at 8 AM. They had 2 and I got one. Of course this meant that I had to show up there in person by 8am and I did this about 12 mornings as they never know ahead of time when they will get them. I focussed on going Wednesdays-Sundays, and I didnt go every single day, took me til Dec 31st til I found one

Hope you find one! ;) You won't regret it!

pjh13
01-02-2006, 01:39 PM
i dont think it is needed to have an hdtv, i was playing on a 8 year old 13in tv till chirstmas and it was clearly not the best picture but i was still impresed. Even on my crappy tv i could still notice a fairly dramatic differance between the original xbox and the 360.

mrmp3
01-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Like someone else said, getting the VGA cables isn't such a bad idea. I got a 17" monitor that can handle 1280x1024 and though I'm still waiting for my power supply to be shipped to me, the little I played on it, it looked friggin sweet. Two player split screen honestly isn't that bad, but any more and yea you'll feel like you need a bigger monitor, but if it's just for yourself and maybe one friend or a brother and you got a decent size computer monitor, just get the VGA cables, not to mention, if you have LAN parties, it's a lot lighter to carry. Just make sure you know the max resolution of your monitor.

But even without HD, yea it still looks friggin sweet.

BoogerBoy
01-04-2006, 11:11 PM
I got my 360 not long ago, I don't have an HD tv. I played it on my regular tv and it looks great. I can definately tell a difference from Xbox 1. I'll probably buy an HD some day though, when my tv blows up. I don't have $500+ to spend on a tv at the moment:rofl:

Ford Mustang
01-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Absolutely. Just because the games aren't in high def doesn't make them any less fun. Plus, you can just get an HDTV later.

thatdude222
01-05-2006, 09:19 PM
get the VGA cables. a 17 inch HDTV for 40 bucks aint bad, you know.
EDIT: yay 700th post!

Stormlord
01-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Like everyone has said it's still next-gen graphics and great gameplay just on a standard tv. The Fight Night demo looks superb and it plays just the way the fans have come to expect for example. Buy the VGA output and hook it up to your monitor. It's a great and inexpensive solution for high-def display.

Nato King
01-06-2006, 08:38 AM
like everyone is saying I would agree getting the xbox360 with out a HDTV it worth the money for sure. You can always at a later date get a HDTV but a xbox360 you might not be able to get.