PDA

View Full Version : 360 Meltdown (power supply)

Brevity
12-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Guy I know on another site had this happen to him. He is a MS/XB fan and would not make this up or lie. But here it is...
http://www.pocketpiglets.com/private/toasted.jpg
http://www.pocketpiglets.com/private/toasted2.jpg
Power to the 360 was off.
Room 74 degrees.
Well vented.
Only played a few times.
Didnt make a smell or sound, just burned up.

laughs
12-19-2005, 04:33 PM
I look forward to the 360 power block burning down the house and killing my entire family! Merry freakin Christmas! :hump:

carlbme
12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Didn't make a smell? Odd, normally you can smell burning plastic pretty damned well.

Definatly sucks though. I'm sure MS will replace it. Plus I'm sure this isn't going to be the only time it happens. I wouldn't be surprised if MS ends up with another powercord/brick replacement/recall.

F1Ox
12-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Didn't make a smell? Odd, normally you can smell burning plastic pretty damned well.

Definatly sucks though. I'm sure MS will replace it. Plus I'm sure this isn't going to be the only time it happens. I wouldn't be surprised if MS ends up with another powercord/brick replacement/recall.
Anything that burning does make a smell!
:hump:

swivel
12-19-2005, 07:57 PM
Hmmm.... just a month ago a dozen fanboys ripped into me for having concerns with the power requirements for the XBox2. I was suggesting that meltdowns, frozen systems, and increased power bills were a possibility, and I was treated like a leper.

I've had a private message exchange with another member who also attacked me for being too harsh on his beloved system. All in all, with weak launch titles, buggy hardware, not enough systems on shelves, a bad Japanese launch, and now this... I'm thinking that all of the hype and the lack of skepticism really was as silly as it seemed to me during the last several months.

thatdude222
12-19-2005, 09:22 PM
that totally sucks ass....... hope it doesnt happen to me

Kyle Static
12-19-2005, 09:35 PM
I'm a bit weary of it....something like that could be done in photoshop easily enough....hopefully it's a fake, or just a jokester.

l Maximus l
12-19-2005, 09:39 PM
When I saw this post, I was thinking to myself, another n00b coming here and talking smack about the XBox 360; however, it was Brevity creating it; therefore, that automatically makes it a legitimate situation.

That hugs nuts, though...that's the first time I've heard of the power supply fry up like that...

Double_Diablo
12-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Holy crap... The massive power brick burned up. Wow. I pity the poor mailman/men who have to deliver a new one to him. They'll break their backs shipping and handling it.

killerscott
12-20-2005, 12:51 AM
XBox2. Im tired of it. It's the 360 and you know it. I could care less about your complaints but that xbox2 stuff is annoying.

edit:im not seriously getting heated over this... It's in a soft voice that I spoke it. It's just something that slightly makes me want to cut somones throat open...

DD-KGann
12-20-2005, 02:20 AM
Wow, that really sucks. Won't stop me from buying one, though.

When you hear about a transmission that went out on a Ferrari, do you think "Wow, I would never buy one of those"? Of course not, because it's a malfunction. S*** happens, and we gotta live with it.

swivel
12-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Im tired of it. It's the 360 and you know it. I could care less about your complaints but that xbox2 stuff is annoying.

edit:im not seriously getting heated over this... It's in a soft voice that I spoke it. It's just something that slightly makes me want to cut somones throat open...

Sorry man. I do humbly apologize. I would never do anything on purpose to cause harm or discomfort to another human. Seriously.

However, I do have to weigh my personal convictions against societal mores sometimes. And this is one of those cases where I can not lie down and submit to the creep of doublespeak. You see, I am a huge fan of the anti-utopian literature. Ayn Rand and Orwell are my heroes. And I see this naming convention as a 1984ish attempt at doublespeak, or historical fiction. I will not let the next 5 years pass by and have them come out with the XBox 4, and let myself forget. If you think this is impossible... a few examples of things we think we know that are nothing but marketing hype:

Columbus never argued that the world was round. This has been known for at least 2200 years. And the size of the Earth was even measure over 2,000 years ago with some accuracy. Columbus WRONGLY asserted that the world was ONE THIRD the size it actually is. He died never knowning that he discovered new land, and never set foot in the US.

Eisenhower did not get the idea for our highway system in Germany while there during the World War, the Germans actually got their idea for the autobahn and their highways when an interior minister visited here before WWI. This is now taught backwards.

The Cold War posed a serious and ominous threat. As soon as it was over, everyone forgot about/rewrote that 40 year period of history with deleterious effects on us now.

Between Microsoft and Apple, it has been Microsoft that has been most open with its technology and the least acting like a monopoly. It has been Apple that has acted monopolistic in many ways. Apple has sued fan websites for discussing rumors, gives details to manufacturers regarding what they must put on packaging boxes, keeps its hardware proprietary which hampers innovation and leads to higher prices for consumers. Microsoft gives away many of its innovations. Yet the Hollywood crowd, and tech-savy hippies, gush over Apple and disparage Microsoft and Bill Gates.

Was is Santayana that said "He who ignores the past is destined to repeat it"?

Well, I spend too much of my time trying to re-learn the real history of man to be so slack as to allow myself to fall prey to those same tactics in my lifetime.

I urge everyone to adopt these naming conventions. I urge everyone to be as free as human beings can be as long as it does not infringe on the freedoms of others. But I will never submit my will and freedom to others that wish to subvert and control me. I celebrate our individual differences and do not wish our society to become a cult. Please allow me the same freedoms.

CrazyCougar
12-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Xbox 2, Xbox Next Gen, Xbox 360, The 360, New Xbox. Who cares what its called...LOL!

I had a graphic artist look at that photo in his art program and he said there were some pixel discrepancies in the picture, but not enough to definitely say it was a fake. But he did lean towards the picture being tweaked.

But regardless, I would be on the safe side and put those bricks somewhere far away from anything flammable..LOL!

Brevity
12-20-2005, 03:43 PM
OK:
He finnally comes clean!
The photo is not at all edited!
The PSU is 100% home made to looks like its all burned up. lol
Said he used clay and some wires and a pic in the background.

****************FAKE*******************
lol

Might be the reason MS deleted the xbox.com thread someone made for it?!

I hate that I posted something that turned out to be fake and stupid. But he got a lot of people to believe in what he did and made people really worry so overall = good prank.
Internet forum members on loads of diffrent sites just got Punked.

You can read this guys original thread and how and what he did here.
http://forums.modojo.com/showthread.php?t=135343

He got me too. I unplugged mine last night. lol

CarGuy
12-20-2005, 04:01 PM
Holy crap... The massive power brick burned up. Wow. I pity the poor mailman/men who have to deliver a new one to him. They'll break their backs shipping and handling it.

Silly!

yall
12-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Someone on the internet is lying???? :rofl:

DD-KGann
12-20-2005, 05:21 PM
WHAT?! Oh no, you mean I can never trust the internet?!?!?

swivel
12-21-2005, 08:19 AM
I think Microsoft should sue the pants off of this guy.

Now, I'm one of the most anti-litigation people you will ever come across, but this prank is BS. It is like screaming "Fire" in a movie theater and trashing someone's company name at the same time. It could make people not use and or buy the product. It could alter the way someone maintains the product (like the above guy that unplugged his at night). It creates a culture of fear, paranoia, and ignorance.

I, for one, would be totally happy to see this guy thrown in jail to learn a lesson. This is no different than people who use a lopped-off finger in a bowl of Wendy's Chili to try and harm them, or profit, or get publicity.

Throw the book at this loser.

Rhiannon
12-21-2005, 08:42 AM
I dont have a 360 yet...but I suspected this was fake because I was under the impression that the power supply was black in color not grey like in that pic.

Salmonaitor
12-21-2005, 09:05 AM
I think Microsoft should sue the pants off of this guy.

Now, I'm one of the most anti-litigation people you will ever come across, but this prank is BS. It is like screaming "Fire" in a movie theater and trashing someone's company name at the same time. It could make people not use and or buy the product. It could alter the way someone maintains the product (like the above guy that unplugged his at night). It creates a culture of fear, paranoia, and ignorance.

I, for one, would be totally happy to see this guy thrown in jail to learn a lesson. This is no different than people who use a lopped-off finger in a bowl of Wendy's Chili to try and harm them, or profit, or get publicity.

Throw the book at this loser.
Wow, someone takes his Xbox seriously (and perhaps may also need to take some psycotropic medicine). Me jokes. I think it's a pretty damn funny prank.

swivel
12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Wow, someone takes his Xbox seriously (and perhaps may also need to take some psycotropic medicine). Me jokes. I think it's a pretty damn funny prank.

I don't take gaming seriously. I take business law and economics seriously. I also take making fun of houses potentially burning down very seriously.

I have a decent sense of humor, but I fail to see the laughs in this.

Salmonaitor
12-21-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't take gaming seriously. I take business law and economics seriously. I also take making fun of houses potentially burning down very seriously.

I have a decent sense of humor, but I fail to see the laughs in this.
Potato - Potato:cheers:

yall
12-21-2005, 12:16 PM

To be honest, its that kind of bad publicity that can ruin a products reputation. Especially considering the number of sheep out there that believe everything they hear.

My friend just got a new job at a tech company. He said all of the dudes on his team didn't want to get an xbox360 because "they might blow up their tv's" or "burn down their houses". Kepp in mind this is coming from 30 year olds, working in a software company. Heck, even my neighbors kids were spouting the same nonsense.

It can be a serious legal matter when you make false claims about a product, as it can damage the public's view of its quality.

swivel
12-21-2005, 02:18 PM
To be honest, its that kind of bad publicity that can ruin a products reputation. Especially considering the number of sheep out there that believe everything they hear.

My friend just got a new job at a tech company. He said all of the dudes on his team didn't want to get an xbox360 because "they might blow up their tv's" or "burn down their houses". Kepp in mind this is coming from 30 year olds, working in a software company. Heck, even my neighbors kids were spouting the same nonsense.

It can be a serious legal matter when you make false claims about a product, as it can damage the public's view of its quality.

Thanks for making clear what I couldn't. :cheers:

Salmonaitor
12-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for making clear what I couldn't. :cheers:
And coming from someone called "Yall". How does that make you feel?

Kyle Static
12-21-2005, 03:50 PM

You hit the nail on the head. I say we retaliate and say that the PS3 escaped and killed our families...that'll show em.

swivel
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
You hit the nail on the head. I say we retaliate and say that the PS3 escaped and killed our families...that'll show em.

Yeah. That will get back at the guy that made the picture. Harm Sony's business.

Man... you fanboys are evil, aren't you?

AdventChild
12-22-2005, 07:39 AM
ya that looks real, let me go take a picture of my wireless controller floating . . .