PDA

View Full Version : Target employee speaking to me this morning about failure rates of the 360!!!

DJ tx
12-21-2005, 10:25 AM
I'll start by saying hello to all. I have been reading posts here for awhile but am just getting registered to post. I had to post after what happened this morning.

So anyway, I am in the process of hunting down an XBox 360 like most of the US, canada, and the UK. I haven't had a console since the original playstation, so I'm pretty excited about this purchase. Even though I have been out of the gaming loop for awhile, I do read alot of news articles and forum posts here and on other sites, and am fairly knowledgable regarding technology. I spent 2+ years working in Tech Support for one of the biggies in the industry. Anyway, so I went to target before work this morning to see if any Xboxes had come in overnight. When a man next to me asked the guy in the electronics dept. about current and future availability the target employee said no we dont have any and there's no way to know when they will be in. He then asked this customer "You do know that about 60% of these Xbox 360s are defective right?" The man who was with his 15-16 year old son said "well maybe, but these kids don't care". Anyway, I was 5 minutes late for work at this point so I didn't have time to have an intelligent discussion about it, and the target employee didn't appear to have the intelligence needed for this discussion either.

I'm Shocked That a Target employee would say this. It's obviously not true...and if it were Microsoft would be in serious legal trouble and/or would be recalling like crazy. He is either trying to scare people into buying older systems that they have in stock, or he believes this because he has read the headlines of news articles that use words like glitches, failures, overheating, etc. How uninformed and idiotic is that? It in no way changed my purchase plan. I would have laughed if this guys lack of knowledge and experience didn't sadden me so much.

Thats all for my first post. I just wanted to share and vent a little.
Anyone have any similar experiences with target or other retailers?

Whisper
12-21-2005, 10:33 AM
60%? yeah right.. he is just pissed off and doesn't want someone to get your money... or he is a ps2 fan..

my best buy has sold 80-some units since launch and has had 1 return for deffectiveness

swivel
12-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Most likely the guy is trying to get some money spent on the things he DOES have in stock. Or, let's cut the guy some slack, it could be that he is a ****ing moron.

Goku_69
12-21-2005, 12:00 PM
welcome to xba DJ

BORNGD
12-21-2005, 12:23 PM
i'm not shocked at all...before i left on my trip a wherehouse employee (its a music store / game store near me) was asked by a customer if he could put a deposit down on the 360. The guy working said you sure can, but you know the ps3 is coming out next year sometime and is going to blow the 360 away! the guy said thanks for the info, and left without putting a deposit down, i was sick to my stomach!

I'll start by saying hello to all. I have been reading posts here for awhile but am just getting registered to post. I had to post after what happened this morning.

So anyway, I am in the process of hunting down an XBox 360 like most of the US, canada, and the UK. I haven't had a console since the original playstation, so I'm pretty excited about this purchase. Even though I have been out of the gaming loop for awhile, I do read alot of news articles and forum posts here and on other sites, and am fairly knowledgable regarding technology. I spent 2+ years working in Tech Support for one of the biggies in the industry. Anyway, so I went to target before work this morning to see if any Xboxes had come in overnight. When a man next to me asked the guy in the electronics dept. about current and future availability the target employee said no we dont have any and there's no way to know when they will be in. He then asked this customer "You do know that about 60% of these Xbox 360s are defective right?" The man who was with his 15-16 year old son said "well maybe, but these kids don't care". Anyway, I was 5 minutes late for work at this point so I didn't have time to have an intelligent discussion about it, and the target employee didn't appear to have the intelligence needed for this discussion either.

I'm Shocked That a Target employee would say this. It's obviously not true...and if it were Microsoft would be in serious legal trouble and/or would be recalling like crazy. He is either trying to scare people into buying older systems that they have in stock, or he believes this because he has read the headlines of news articles that use words like glitches, failures, overheating, etc. How uninformed and idiotic is that? It in no way changed my purchase plan. I would have laughed if this guys lack of knowledge and experience didn't sadden me so much.

Thats all for my first post. I just wanted to share and vent a little.
Anyone have any similar experiences with target or other retailers?

Goku_69
12-21-2005, 12:31 PM
i would have walked up and told him he can get a new computer for what the ps3 will cost him

CrazyCougar
12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Should have just asked him for the facts, especially since most everyone knows from reading the basic newspaper that the percentage of defective hasnt even reached 6 percent...60 %...LOL! to funny!

Well I guess there could be a scenario that would warrant his "facts". It could be a 60% defective ratio at his store especially IF they ony recieved 3 and 2 were defective..LOL!

Otherwise, i would never take a retailer's opinion as truth or fact. On anything except, "What the price of this item?" And then they are wrong sometimes there too! LOL!

DJ tx
12-21-2005, 12:44 PM
welcome to xba DJ

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yes he may be a hardcore PS3 guy, but to me, that makes no sense. I feel that anyone who is a true gamer won't dislike any system just because it happens to be a competitor of the brand they like. Thats like saying I am addicted to board games, but I only Play Milton Bradley Games, and Parker Bros. is garbage. I have nothing against Sony, I liked my original playstation...I also enjoyed thoroughly my original NES, and SNES (I still have them all in my closet). I would never say Nintendo or Sony suck just because I want an XBox. I think the truth is that any true gamer would by all 3 systems if they could afford them, I know I would, and if this is true, then saying one of them sucks is just BS, or sour grapes because they cant have it all. Anyway, thats all for now. I'm off my soapbox...for the moment ;)

Wait a second...I just had a dream...I went to the store and they had XBox 360s for all who wanted them, and the employees at said store were not all friggin idiots...yep it was a dream alright. Maybe someday....its so funny (or sad really) but I am getting 4 XBox 360 games for christmas, and I already ordered the wireless adapter, but I have no console yet. Oh well, maybe soon...
Thats really the end now.

Cheers all~

DJ tx
12-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Sorry, just a quick follow-up to my last post. I apologize for labeling all retail employees as idiots. That clearly is not the case. I actually think it is only a select few morons who give the rest a bad name. I apologize for my sweeping generality. But to those of you who I was right about...you suck :argue1:

Later all~

laughs
12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
Welcome DJ..... Oh, and I'd fire the guy :)

swivel
12-21-2005, 02:17 PM
I think the truth is that any true gamer would by all 3 systems if they could afford them, I know I would, and if this is true, then saying one of them sucks is just BS, or sour grapes because they cant have it all.

100% agree.

Unfortunately, you just described 85% of the gamers that I come in contact with online. They have the one system they can afford, and they bash everything else. Especially if it is something they have never played before.

I like your philosophy.

Welcome to the forum.

ShadedNine
12-21-2005, 06:05 PM
It's a strange fascination, but many people have a tendency to attach themselves to a brand, and fully convince themselves that all threats to said brand are unethical, low quality brands. On top of Xbox vs. ps3 there's other obvious ones like Pepsi vs. Coke, MS vs Apple, HP vs Dell, Intel vs AMD. You'll also find it in clothing markets, fast food chains...just about any consumer industry. Some go about it intelligently (if not irrationally) by picking and choosing their examples carefully...others just bash the others outright with no reasoning to boot, and others still, prefer to just make things up as they go along, and possibly even manage to convince themselves of the truth of their statements.

Anyway, welcome to XBA. You seem like a reasonable fellow, even if you don't have a 360 yet ;). Enjoy your stay.

skorp
12-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Welcome aboard DJ!

Good to know your back in the game... Congrats when you get your new console soon!

:cheers:

Xbox Masta 4
12-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Welcome to the board man.

Also, about the things that happened to you, is just bs. However, there truely are more morons like him around. I just wonder why that guy cares what others buy. Even if he hated Xbox360 with a passion, isn't it his job and to help people? I hate guys like him when I go into stores and they fill you in with BS, I'm like hello I'm not an idiot so I go away. I am a very nice person and not rude what so ever but I'm sorry but I must admit I will throw down an arguement with a salesman anyday when he gives out incorrect information. Sometimes if I've seen the person before and they ask for my help, I say no thank you. I'd rather shop on my own then have moron salesman and what not coming over and filling me in garbage that I don't know is true.

I feel bad for those that don't know any better, and believe all the crap they fill them in with. Videogames are not the only thing that people do this with, as far as I know. I've had experiences with BSers before and I just can't stand it.

I wish people would just do there job as there supose to. Give out wonderful information, and well if there's problems with such merchandise -- well give it to them if it is oh so common. I just love how people hear one or two problems and assume the whole world of products or whatever it is that it is being based on is the same way. I respect those that actually have facts to back up, otherwise they are just a waste of time.

Also, the fanboy thing might be true as well. I don't get why people are like this either, however it's like this for everything. People saying oh I will take this car over that car, or I don't like that tv because it's Sony or whatever. Most people out there stick with the system they bought before. Stick to name brands that they are common with, seeming as if it is the best. However sometimes true, some things to people only really matter in the brand name. They buy one of there products and they feel it to be the best, they will continue to buy that brands products.

Another reason people are like this is because not everyone can afford all systems, so whatever system they get, they feel the need to bash the other. Why? Who knows, people do crazy things. People have there opinions. Some like apples, while the others like oranges. It really doesn't matter what's in the apple or the orange but they like it for one reason or another.

Yeah all I am trying to get at is everyone is different. Some will agree with the people we think are morons, while the rest will just turn into there enemy. I personally usually just ignore all the bs that come from individuals. I just laugh later on about things like that because it really shows how unknowledgable that person really is, and to know that they aren't doing there job correctly. I like doing things right, but I guess everyone isn't the same.

swivel
12-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Well-said XBox Masta.

Everyone is indeed different. But you have to be careful not to go from that axiom to a place of moral equivalence. Some people are different in a way that makes them worse human beings. Like dads that get drunk and beat their kids.

Ever since the "Do-Anything" 60's we have headed further down this path of absolute equality rather than potential equality. The murderer has to be forgiven. All people are just as good at all things. It was a societal correction made in the face of gender and racial bias that went too far in the other direction.

Now we frown on people talking about things that are truly evil. Deconstructionism and Social Constructionism were originally literary theories that attempted to rob all things of meaning. These theories have now become part of our social fabric. And whether or not you are familiar with them, you have adopted parts of these philosophies. We absorb them from our culture.

And they are robbing us of our ability to think and talk accurately on subjects.

So, you are right that people are just different. But it is ok to ask why. And whether those differences are in any measurable way better or worse.

I think the fanboy mentality stems from greed and envy. Greed, because of the undue materialistic attachment placed on an owned object that leads to such fandom, and envy, because the fanboy mentality is mainly about hatred of the things that one does not own. And I truly believe that these two vices are objectively evil. And the people that are consumed by them are evil.

Sadly, that is hard to say in this day of moral equivalence. Also, there are people who frown on any judgement because they believe in being open-minded to a fault. You are never allowed to make up your mind regarding any subject, but must remain like Play-Dough. These people are not open to being more closed minded :)

Xbox Masta 4
12-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Well put Swivel.

Greed could be the answer to it all as well of course. However, a lot of it can be jealousy as well. People can't have everything, and they just bash on those who can have everything. However, it's a reasonable thing but is it really the childrens fault that there parents spoil there children? I really don't see why people make such a big deal about it, unless they are low-life children that don't work for what they get. That I don't respect, reason I don't is because I know someone here that does that and he acts like he's king sh*t and is way too ****y.

The world will always have evil no matter how you look at it. Peoples beliefs, or how they look at it one way or another. This can be based upon by decision, or brainwashing of an individual to look at the world in a different perspective.

People wont change for who they are. There's a lot of people out there to be afraid of themseleves and I really don't have respect for people like that. Most hatred of course is brought by an individual but all it takes is bad rumors and close friends to make the hate at a high increase rate.

For example, 2g: 1995-1999 (eclipses, talons, lasers) (turbo models: GS-T, GSX), are said to have a lot of crankwalk. This statement is overrated. People whos motors get screwy a lot of the times assume it was just crankwalk and don't go further into what really happened. This is because more and more out there read one or two that had crankwalk and assume every motor problem is crankwalk. So in other words, no one researches what happens when it crankwalks. Just like if you're clutch slave solenoid went out on your car, the clutch is going to stick to the floor. You have to know that to know the problem.

Relating this to systems, is there are more and more that always assume and never have true hard facts. They are too lazy to look up the truth about systems. I am far from a fanboy and I usually pick up both systems. Last year I picked up PS2 before Xbox, duh. However, Xbox 360 is beating PS3 out this year and well if I was looking hard enough for one I'd have one. I think some of peoples problems is that they are afraid of change. They feel as if they got to rep one company like they are going to get something back. No major company gives a crap about you really. That's another thing that sucks about big companies, can't always get the help you need. However, like we said -- no one thinks the same way, acts the same way, and well of course plays the same systems. Some people would rather play NES then Xbox 360 or PS3. I'm not going to sit and argue with a person that likes what he likes. I respect people that like what they like, but not the others who like something because they felt like they had to because the other one they heard "sucked."

DJ tx
12-22-2005, 12:01 PM
All good points. I'm glad to see that the majority of people I have come into direct contact with on this forum so far seem to be intelligent, free-thinking, objective people.

Of course I say "so far" because I know some MS/XBox haters/bashers are probably just around the corner planning a brutal assault on my good nature.

In any case, I applaud you all and appreciate you welcoming me.
I give you all Kudos*.

*(Warning: the above-mentioned Kudos not valid or compatible within the XBox Live envoronment, Hawaii or Alaska. Also they cannot be exchanged for Microsoft Points, Apple iPod Nanos, Double Whoppers with cheese, or anything else of value as determined by the corresponding governing body (me)).

Later all~
PS- im nearly out of work for the holidays to have a nice 6 days off of vegging out, watching movies, and of course XBox 360 hunting, so...
Merry Christmas All~

Jade_Dragonfly
12-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome :)

I feel that anyone who is a true gamer won't dislike any system just because it happens to be a competitor of the brand they like. Thats like saying I am addicted to board games, but I only Play Milton Bradley Games, and Parker Bros. is garbage. I have nothing against Sony, I liked my original playstation...I also enjoyed thoroughly my original NES, and SNES (I still have them all in my closet). I would never say Nintendo or Sony suck just because I want an XBox. I think the truth is that any true gamer would by all 3 systems if they could afford them, I know I would, and if this is true, then saying one of them sucks is just BS, or sour grapes because they cant have it all. Anyway, thats all for now. I'm off my soapbox...for the moment ;)

Well said dood. :)

laughs
12-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Yes, you also have to figure in time. Do the average gamer have the time to play 3 systems?

DD-KGann
12-22-2005, 04:15 PM
You know, you gotta love the PS3 junkies. Heres what I wanna know...HOW DO THEY KNOW IT "OWNS"?!? They have never played one, never gotten their hands on it, and in fact, I highly doubt they have ever even SEEN a play-demo of one. Most of them are just either A, M$ haters; or B, PS2 fanboys.

It's stupidly annoying how these people are saying "oh, the PS3 is gonna blow the 360 away" and "oh, the 360 sucks and the PS3 owns", when they have NO facts to back it up!

Microsoft has put Sony in "Check", now, it is your move, Sony.

neutralfighter1
12-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Ack! Too many large posts! Too much reading...
So all I'm gonna do is leave my post and slowly walk away....
Well from the description you were giving of the guy who worked at Target, maybe he just failed math... and the second grade. That's why he's working at Target instead of Walmart. (And don't you dare start bashing Walmart!!!)
And you know what that spells if you get all D's on your report card? That's right.... Oh. you don't know what that spells? Oh, here lemme help you then. Put your hand to you chest, and say: "DUH, DUH, DUH, DUH, DUH!!"
That was cruel... :rofl:

swivel
12-22-2005, 07:19 PM
You know, you gotta love the PS3 junkies. Heres what I wanna know...HOW DO THEY KNOW IT "OWNS"?!? They have never played one, never gotten their hands on it, and in fact, I highly doubt they have ever even SEEN a play-demo of one. Most of them are just either A, M$ haters; or B, PS2 fanboys.

It's stupidly annoying how these people are saying "oh, the PS3 is gonna blow the 360 away" and "oh, the 360 sucks and the PS3 owns", when they have NO facts to back it up!

Microsoft has put Sony in "Check", now, it is your move, Sony.

Nice example of everything we just discussed.

swivel
12-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, sorry for the double-post, but check this out. This gentleman, following some of the gentlest and most intelligent banter you will find within these forums just wrote:

Ack! Too many large posts! Too much reading...

Now. Let's look at the last two posts made by the same gentleman:

5:11 PM

neutralfighter1
Registerd User

I am sorry if this has already been posted, ( I tried to search the forums but i got a bad url)
but I am TOTALLY P***ED about all of those stupid posers out there who criticize the Xbox 360 on MINOR details! They complain on stupid little things like "Oh, no! My Xbox froze!" or "It scratched my disk!"
Or the ever popular "It was a big letdown because it didn't meet my sky fu**in high expectations, so I'm going to place my trust in the PS3 even though when it releases it's pictures it cleans them up nice and good so it can look like something their really not, even though it already crashed BEFORE it was even released because they were so scared of the competition from the Xbox 360 that they tried so hard to outdo the Xbox graphics wize that it caught it's own fu**in self on fire!"
The Xbox 360 is an amazing machine and it deserves to be in every house in the whole world because you can trust Microsoft and it's programmers over the those lying, cheating, backstabbing, jerk offs who work at Sony who call themselves programmers!
And I don't think that many people know this but the pictures for Metal Gear for the PS3 have been cleaned up and spitshined so it would look better than the Xbox 360 to outdo it's sales. And in an interview with Sony they anounced that those pictures weren't "officially" released by them. And they said something else about their not promising that it will look like that. Hmmm.... I wonder what that means? **cough**lying**cough**fu--s**cough**.
But anyways back on the subject of critics.
While I was reading the newspaper (Yes, I'm 15 and I can read.) a consumer was interviewed who had recently purchased a Xbox 360 from BestBuy and said that it froze on him, saying quote "I used to be a big Microsoft fan, but now my trust in them has been lost because of this."
Big whoop'dy fu**in doo! EVERY console has glitches when it is released! And if he doesn't want it then step aside and give it to someone else who wants and deserves it. Instead of wasting $300 to complain about a system who you camped outside in a sleeping bag in the middle of 45 degree weather with your next months rent in your hand for something your gonna bi**h about.
And even if you get a faulty Xbox then use that little thing that's called a warranty that comes with every system including your beloved Sony gaming consoles.
Come on guys! Be smart! And don't be a jack a** just because you couldn't get laid from your already ugly Sony loving girlfriend because you bought a Microsoft console!
Thank you for hearing my plee for sanity in this fu**ed up world. Feel free to respond. I will be back with more evidence of this heracy. God save us all.

And:

7:35 PM

neutralfighter1
Registerd User

Right now I'm having an evil thought. I want to burn my Xbox, yes that's right, my Xbox 360, and my computer. I am so P.O.ed it's beyond words... Today hasn't been a good day for me, first I got angry at the idiots who say Xbox sucks and I got even more pissed at Sony's workers who lie and cheat their way to the top. Now I am on a level of anger that I can't describe! I am trying to hook up my Xbox 360 to my computer and in order to do that I have to download this stupid software. But first I need to log in at Microsoft.com/pcsetup which what I remember when I downloaded it before you didn't have to log in... now you do. Before I tried and it didn't work so it was just an item taking up space on my desktop, so I deleted it. I could always get it back right? Wrong! Now I have to log in and with some passport credentials. And when I tried to sign up and get the stupid download it says: The Passport Network credentials you have entered have not been used to to sign up for Xbox Live on an Xbox 360 console. But I never had a passport before, so how do I sign up with a passport that I don't have!?
People make this world FAR too complicated... Please share your greater wisdom with this n00b. It would be greatly appreciated.

Unreal.

neutralfighter1
12-22-2005, 07:39 PM
I know but I have alot to say!! my opinion must be heard!! Oh, and those are both in two different threads... I think. I like to start my posting in a thread with a booming entrance.
It's my signature...

And you might have noticed by now but I have anger issues when simple things go wrong... like signing into xbox.com :)
But also my cat is REALLY sick right now he's eating through a tube, he can barely breathe and he gives the saddest meow you ever heard.... I'm a bit emotional right now.

swivel
12-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I know but I have alot to say!! my opinion must be heard!! Oh, and those are both in two different threads... I think. I like to start my posting in a thread with a booming entrance.
It's my signature...

It's your modus operandi. Signatures go at the end, and usually don't bang all that much.

I do agree with you that your opinion is far more important to you than to anyone else, and see how that would effect the length of your own posts while leading you to bemoan the lack of brevity exemplefied by others.

neutralfighter1
12-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Now your using too many big words.... **sigh**
Come on guys lets not forget how simple minded I am. My email adress IS absentmindedace@yahoo.com. doesn't that mean anything to you?
But I do understand what your saying... Why do you insist on bashing me?

ShadedNine
12-22-2005, 10:43 PM
It's your modus operandi. Signatures go at the end, and usually don't bang all that much.

I do agree with you that your opinion is far more important to you than to anyone else, and see how that would effect the length of your own posts while leading you to bemoan the lack of brevity exemplefied by others.

Come now swivel. You can't deny that this post was rather demeaning, and to than end, overlty verbose.

Your first post was called for. This one strikes me more as a means of self-elevation through prolixity than an honest concern for his confusion between modus operandi and signature. :rolleyes:

I agree entirely though, that interrupting the flow of discussion here to point out that you didn't want to read it was entirely innapropriate.

DD-KGann
12-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Nice example of everything we just discussed.

Sarcascim?

swivel
12-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Come now swivel. You can't deny that this post was rather demeaning, and to than end, overlty verbose.

Your first post was called for. This one strikes me more as a means of self-elevation through prolixity than an honest concern for his confusion between modus operandi and signature. :rolleyes:

I agree entirely though, that interrupting the flow of discussion here to point out that you didn't want to read it was entirely innapropriate.

His stuntiloquence and ire necessitated grandiouse verbiage.

neutralfighter1
12-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Sorry. :(

swivel
12-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Sorry. :(

Forgiven.

And I'm sorry too.

And I really do love you. Seriously. I can feel it right now in my heart. No B.S. And please, everyone, if you want to make fun of me loving people, do it by sending me a PM. Let's not try and hurt my feelings in public.

Chr0nik
12-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I am on my second 360, and it gave out this morning. First system was DOA right out of the box, this one managed to get me a whole 90 minutes of gameplay. My unit is properly ventilated and all that.

I think there is a bigger problem than what is being made out. Hell on another forum I belong too, many members have experienced failure on multiple units.

swivel
12-23-2005, 12:47 PM
I am on my second 360, and it gave out this morning. First system was DOA right out of the box, this one managed to get me a whole 90 minutes of gameplay. My unit is properly ventilated and all that.

I think there is a bigger problem than what is being made out. Hell on another forum I belong too, many members have experienced failure on multiple units.

What forum? I would like to go do some more reading on this.

Sorry to hear about your luck.

ll Mista GT ll
12-23-2005, 02:09 PM
What forum? I would like to go do some more reading on this.

Sorry to hear about your luck.

Yeah, Chr0nik, hook us up! (Pms)

Xbox 360 FIXER
12-26-2005, 04:14 AM
No advertising.

ll Mista GT ll
12-26-2005, 09:17 AM
You naughty naughty boy/man/advertiser.

I cant believe I didn't get a 360 for Christmas :(