PDA

View Full Version : 720p problem

Xbox Owner
12-26-2005, 12:25 PM
When I set my 360 to do 720p it's pretty jaggy for some reason. My TV is HDTV and supports 1080i, I thought if it supports 1080i it supports everything below? It looks great in 1080i but supposedly they look better in 720p and it's better for motion.. and the captions and stuff from my TV showing it's that resolution arent jaggy at all.. it's just the 360... especially the text? i don't konw if this means anything but i have it hooked up to the componets in the back? does it have to be in the AVs?

any ideas?

swivel
12-26-2005, 02:35 PM
When I set my 360 to do 720p it's pretty jaggy for some reason. My TV is HDTV and supports 1080i, I thought if it supports 1080i it supports everything below? It looks great in 1080i but supposedly they look better in 720p and it's better for motion.. and the captions and stuff from my TV showing it's that resolution arent jaggy at all.. it's just the 360... especially the text? i don't konw if this means anything but i have it hooked up to the componets in the back? does it have to be in the AVs?

any ideas?

Yeah, your TV is probably not setting itself to output 720p, it is probably downconverting the signal. Different sets do this in different ways. One of my Hitachi's senses the incoming signal and switches over to one of three resolutions. You can see on the breakout box which resolution it is in, and even force it manually.

Check your manual and see if there is a way to force your TV to 720, and also if there is a setting for it to automatically adjust to the incoming signal.

ShadedNine
12-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Your TV probably only "supports" both 1080i and 720p. That doesn't mean it can actually display both signals, but simply converts everything to it's "native resolution".

If 720p is looking poor, I'm going to wager your TV is probably natively 1080i. On top of that, many 1080i sets do a very very poor job of displaying non-interlaced signals (it's probably squishing the signal down to 540p, then cutting down half the lines to interlace it, and then scale up 2x to 1080i). So, in the end, my advice to you would be to let the 360 do the scaling/interlacing, and set your box to 1080i. What you read about 720p mostly applies to those who have 720p HDTVs.

What you read about 720p being better for motion is also true, but again, only a native 720p tv has this advantage. Sending a 1080i TV a progressive signal doesn't mean your TV becomes progressive all of a sudden.

Xbox Owner
12-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Is there even a big difference between the resolutions?

ShadedNine
12-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Is there even a big difference between the resolutions?

Between 720p and 1080i? No. But there is a fair difference between 720p converted to 1080i, and 720p itself. If that doesn't make sense to you...what i'm basically saying is that a 720p and a 1080i TV are pretty much on par with one another given that each is being sent a native 720p/1080i signal. As soon as you have to convert from one to the other, you do give up a decent chunk of quality.

Can't really be helped though, outside of buying a new TV. The difference certainly isn't large enough to justify that though, no matter how much xbox you plan on playing.