PDA

View Full Version : Xbox says the disc is dirty

chris8105
12-28-2005, 01:12 PM
I have a xbox that will freeze in the middle of a game and say that the disc is dirty, it only does it though with Madden 05 and 06, all the rest of the games work just fine on it. The madden 06 is brand new, did it right out of the box. Any suggestions?

ll Mista GT ll
12-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I have a xbox that will freeze in the middle of a game and say that the disc is dirty, it only does it though with Madden 05 and 06, all the rest of the games work just fine on it. The madden 06 is brand new, did it right out of the box. Any suggestions?

Hmm... It could be the Xbox. I think that it's a DVD drive problem. Nothing to worry about, I get it all the time... I need to reboot 2-3 times before I get my Halo 2 to work (like the only game I play)

You can buy replacemnet parts, or send it in to Microsoft for fixing (although it is costly) Replacing it yourslef is much easier.

chris8105
12-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Well restarting it doesnt work, you get about 5 minutes of time to play and it locks, I restarted it 5 times in a row yesterday and the same thing, why would it only do it with the madden football games and not do it with anything else?

ll Mista GT ll
12-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Well restarting it doesnt work, you get about 5 minutes of time to play and it locks, I restarted it 5 times in a row yesterday and the same thing, why would it only do it with the madden football games and not do it with anything else?

Interesting... Where did you get the games? New.. Used... Ebay?

chris8105
12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Brand new still in the wrapping from Best Buy, I have cleaned the heck out of the disc.

ll Mista GT ll
12-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Brand new still in the wrapping from Best Buy, I have cleaned the heck out of the disc.

Man, I dont know what to tell you. Maybe the laser power needs to be increased ( a little screw inside the xbox that increases reading power of the disks)

Is here a specific point in the game that it stops?

chris8105
12-28-2005, 01:33 PM
No I wouldnt say a specific spot, its about 2 minutes into the first quarter it screws up. You think me emailing microsoft about this situtation, you think they will tell me anything, or just try to get me to mail it to them?

ll Mista GT ll
12-28-2005, 02:18 PM
No I wouldnt say a specific spot, its about 2 minutes into the first quarter it screws up. You think me emailing microsoft about this situtation, you think they will tell me anything, or just try to get me to mail it to them?

naw, Microsoft doesn't care about just 1 costumer. Just keep on troubleshooting. Rent the game.. and see if it happens. If the rented one works, keep it :hump:

chris8105
12-28-2005, 03:12 PM
I will do that, and if the rented one doesnt work, then I am screwed :cuss:

Jackyboy
12-28-2005, 03:59 PM
I will do that, and if the rented one doesnt work, then I am screwed :cuss:
screwed until you get a 360

ll Mista GT ll
12-28-2005, 05:43 PM
screwed until you get a 360

Great idea! He can borrow yours! ;)

tsrdawg
12-28-2005, 08:49 PM
try removing the outer case and spraying your hardware with some air-in-the-bottle...or, if youre on a tight budget, break out the vacuum cleaner and goto work...
besides, madden has been played out since about 93...I bet NFL2k5 would work better!

thatdude222
01-01-2006, 08:25 AM
you can order a replacement DVD drive online.... id bet it would fix your problem, but would void your warranty. its a very eay install, the same is changing a DVD drive in a computer. go to www.llamma.com , thye sell them there.

thatdude222
01-01-2006, 08:25 AM
you can order a replacement DVD drive online.... id bet it would fix your problem, but would void your warranty. its a very eay install, the same is changing a DVD drive in a computer. go to www.llamma.com , thye sell them there.

ll Mista GT ll
01-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Great Idea!

ll Mista GT ll
01-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Even better Idea!

thatdude222
01-01-2006, 11:46 AM

ll Mista GT ll
01-01-2006, 01:36 PM

Aahahaha :rofl: Your funny.

nascarfan29
01-02-2006, 09:54 AM
I had a very similar situation with my first-gen XBOX. Seemed to mostly happen while starting or using EA games. I considered the DVD replacement also, but ended up buying a new XBOX. If you're out of warranty, consider buying a new unit. The DVD drives are about 1/3 the cost of a new system. Good luck.

Max33
01-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I've been experiencing the same problem.The thompson is just working less and less, so I've decided to get a new drive,and idealy I'd like to up grade to a samsung...

So my question is wether or not a samsung will be compatible with my xbox.

Any help would be greatly appretiated. Thanks.

thatdude222
01-02-2006, 03:49 PM
im pretty sure all xbox dvd drives are compatible with all xboxs.

Cein
01-04-2006, 06:36 AM
I had the exact same problem so I ordered the replacement drive. Popped out the old one, slapped in the new one; smooth as butter. But guess what? I still get the same old problem when it attempts to load a disc. Xbox doesnt' recognize the DVD, make sure it actually is a DVD, or it might be dirty, etc... I've tried it with several games, movies, and audio cds, btw.
Soo hey Xboxfreakkid, where's this laser-power-screw you spoke of? Or would anyone else have any leads I could chase down?

deadpool187
01-06-2006, 08:06 AM
I have the same problem with an XBox I got off my cousin, although it does still play audio CD's.
It also locks up/stutters when I select "Memory" from the console bit (without disk in).
Is this deffinately a fault with the DVD Drive or could it lie elsewhere?

realgamer88
01-06-2006, 09:01 AM
i get this problem with halo 2 some times but i have a cleaner that cleans the eye and it fix's it so try that the disc is cheap.

Cein
01-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Well, it most likely is a problem with the drive itself. Try cleaning the discs or laser. If that doesn't work order a replacement and cross your fingers that it's not the same problem that I've been having. I haven't tried cleaning the lens on the replacement drive but I dont see why they'd ship a fresh product with a dirty lens. I've ordered a modchip in an attempt to work around the need of a dvd-rom. After countless hours of searching through several different forums and sites for a solution, that's the best I could come up with. I'm going to try replacing the IDE cable, I should have a spare laying around somewhere.
Biggest problem is though; it's not even my Xbox, it's my bosses. :bang:

ll Mista GT ll
01-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I had a link on how to increase the lazer power, let me find it :)

Cein
01-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Well, since I was all gungho to get to work this morning, I decided to replace the IDE cable anyway. Since the switch would improve loading times by ~30%, I figured there'd be a chance that the signal getting sent from the drive would be somewhat intensified. "It's only a cable," I thought, "a little swap won't hurt." But of course, something had to go wrong; the system clock was reset and I forgot the controller at buddy's when I brought the xbox over to see if I could make progress with a second pov.:eek:
I did find something out while I over there though; Thompson Xbox drives have a history of blowing major chunks. (Both the original and replacement were TGM600s)
Anyway though, was this the link you were talking about?
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/thompson_potentiometer.htm
I'm sure that this would fix that DDE error but man, I haven't used a multimeter in AGES!
I can't help but think though that there's updated firmware for the drive somewhere. There's not much that I can do right this instant though but I'll keep you all updated; my trials and errors should be able to help a few of you.

ll Mista GT ll
01-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey, we don't talk about chips here. (Just a heads up) :)

Cein
01-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Chip?! What chip? I dont see no stinkin' chip! :whistle:

ll Mista GT ll
01-08-2006, 10:44 AM
*cough* PMs *cough*

U.2.K
01-08-2006, 02:02 PM
It happens all the time with me, when i play some of my used games, no biggie.

Cein
01-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Guess what? I think I may have found another problem with this infernal Xbox. I was looking over the motherboard for evidence of any trace problems when my attention turned to the power supply; it appears to have vomitted over itself. (forgive my vocab) One of the main coils at the front of the PSU is 1/3 covered in white paste and this happens again at 4 other areas along the PSU board. My hypothesis here is that the Xbox is getting just enough power to boot up, access the hdd, and everything else except deliver enough juice to fully power the DVD laser; which results ultimately in that DDE. (I increased the pot on the old drive to a 902 reading btw; no dice) Remember, I got this error with both the original and the replacement drive, so this is a valid guess imho. Would this make sense to the rest of you reading this? Man, if I had those torx before I started working on this Xbox, I would've just bought my boss a new box. (prolly cheaper by now anyway)

(oh, and sorry 'bout hijacking your thread chris; there's no way I could've predicted all this :cuss:. Have you had any luck yet?)