PDA

View Full Version : Large non-HDTV vs. small HD?

DJ tx
12-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Well at this point I still haven't located a 360, although it is only a matter of time. Until then this discussion is all academic, but...

I'm just wondering what I will see when I play 360 games on my current 27 inch flat Sony WEGA that is standard definition. Obvioulsy I know it will not be as good, although someday I will have an HDTV (as soon as prices are low enough). I assume by next Christmas, or hopefully earlier the 30-40 inch HDTVs will be in my price range. If I were willing to buy a CRT HDTV then I could probably get one now, but I want my next purchase to not only be HD but also flat panel.

In any case, I am wondering if I could afford a smaller HDTV, say a 23 inch or so, do you think that would be preferable to a largeryet non-HDTV like the 27 inch I mentioned above?

A 23 inch screen, especially since it is widescreen will seem much smaller than my current TV, especially when viewing regular TV at 4:3 aspect ratio. Maybe I sould save my money til I can afford the 30-40 inch HD, and in the mean time maybe my current 27 inch will be sufficient.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ninjermy
12-30-2005, 12:24 PM
I'd say go with the smaller HDTV for 360 definatley. Just sit closer to it :p

l Maximus l
12-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Personally, I'm all about size...but, the picture has to be there, too. It's my opinion to wait and save up for a large HDTV. You'll be happy that you waited...seriously...Just make sure that the HDTV you buy provides a native 720p signal and you'll be in gaming heaven!

ShadedNine
12-30-2005, 03:33 PM
It's all a question of how close you're planning on sitting.

1.7 times your screen size is considered the 'ideal' distance to sit, though I sit less than 1 times mine. Not that it's a rule you have to follow (and it's not easy to do so with a 20" display, but it makes a good guideline for determining when to look for a larger set.

To answer your original question, yes, I think a 20" HDTV will look better than a 27" SDTV, but if I were in your position, I'd save up, and enjoy the dropping prices in the meanwhile. There's always some good drops near the end of the fiscal year, as manufacturers and retailers compete to meet sales goals, so March - June is considered a good time to buy computers and consumer electronics.

DJ tx
12-30-2005, 04:08 PM
that all makes good sense. Thanks for the advice.

My main concern is that I dont want to hook up the 360
to a standard TV and get the initial first impression of
man this does not look good. Also you cant show off a cool next gen gaming console
to friends if the picture looks bad, they'll wonder why you paid $400+ for this machine.

In any case, I think I will take the wait and see approach, I have read people saying that even though an HD set blows standard sets away, that the standard set will still look better hooked to a 360 than the original Xbox or PS2. In time I will be able to afford a great big HD monitor for gaming.

Thanks again and I'll hopefully see you guys around XBL if I ever get my 360 ;) I'm waiting patiently though. I have a feeling I will find one in the first couple of weeks of January.

Later~

ShadedNine
12-30-2005, 05:30 PM
I look forward to seeing you online :)

Finish up your profile though, add a location. If I happen to see a deal you can get at, I'll be sure to let you know.