PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to cut Nvidia from X-Box 2

DOOM
02-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Those in the know have seen Microsoft's final reference platform for the X-Box 2 and say that the plan appears to be to cut Nvidia out of the new equation.
That has driven Via to heights of unparalleled ecstasy because the plucky little company now reckons it could get the whole deal - graphics chipset and CPU.

It would have to offer Microsoft a fantastic deal to swing that particular miracle off, but Via is in the business of swinging such fantastic deals, my best friends at Vole Centrale tell me.

Y'know what the problem is? Nvidia charges Microsoft just a little bit too much for its technology and Microsoft wants to lose just that little bit less on each X-Box it sells. More. While Via reckons it could scoop the opposition and get the graphics chipset and the CPU business, it has one major competitor in the final running and that happens to be little Canadian company ATI.

My boy said: "That would really make Nvidia gnash its teeth - imagine the schadenfreude at ATI if it swept away with the chipset for the X-Box 2 design."

It's always possible that Nvidia might cut its prices sufficiently to make it worth Microsoft's while. But unlikely, says the lad.

One must never forget that La Intella can always rush in at the last minute...

WTF!!!:rolleyes:

CHECK IT OUT:
http://www.theinquirer.net/22020204.htm

Hugh_Jass
02-23-2002, 07:39 AM
Not bloody likely.

LynxFX
02-23-2002, 04:49 PM
I agree with Hugh_Jass, A VIA chipset for their high end gaming system?!? VIA has created nothing that can compete with nVidia or ATI in the graphics department. They are only good for low cost OEM systems, not a gaming console. Bad bad move if they go that way. One of the main reasons I got the xbox was because of nVidia 'inside'.

Xboxfan123
02-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by DOOM
Those in the know have seen Microsoft's final reference platform for the X-Box 2 and say that the plan appears to be to cut Nvidia out of the new equation.
That has driven Via to heights of unparalleled ecstasy because the plucky little company now reckons it could get the whole deal - graphics chipset and CPU.

It would have to offer Microsoft a fantastic deal to swing that particular miracle off, but Via is in the business of swinging such fantastic deals, my best friends at Vole Centrale tell me.

Y'know what the problem is? Nvidia charges Microsoft just a little bit too much for its technology and Microsoft wants to lose just that little bit less on each X-Box it sells. More. While Via reckons it could scoop the opposition and get the graphics chipset and the CPU business, it has one major competitor in the final running and that happens to be little Canadian company ATI.

My boy said: "That would really make Nvidia gnash its teeth - imagine the schadenfreude at ATI if it swept away with the chipset for the X-Box 2 design."

It's always possible that Nvidia might cut its prices sufficiently to make it worth Microsoft's while. But unlikely, says the lad.

One must never forget that La Intella can always rush in at the last minute...

WTF!!!:rolleyes:

CHECK IT OUT:
http://www.theinquirer.net/22020204.htm

I did and all I read in the Enquirer is that Oprah is coming out with her own diet pill that will make her even more wealthy and that Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz secretly wed and Nicole Kidman is the Godmother to be.

As for the Xbox2 the Enquirer says it will be a few years until that comes out so as not to undermine the confidence in the Xbox we have now. Furthermore I read in the Enquirer that there is a secret component in the Xbox that is a hybrid from the alien crash at Roswell. No wait my grandmother said the last thing.

LynxFX
02-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Oh geeze, I didn't even notice that the link was from the inquirer. The leader on false technology info as well as other stuff.
:rolleyes:

Dar
02-23-2002, 09:15 PM
With all due respect, it is way too early to even mention XBOX2.

wizkid918
02-24-2002, 07:42 AM
check out the link, the inquirer... *cough* Bullsh it *cough*

gula
02-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Not likely:

http://www.mdronline.com/mpr_public/2002nominees.html

NVIDIA® Corporation announced today that its proprietary processors designed for Microsoft® Xbox™ has been named the "Best Gaming Chip Set of 2001" by Cahners In-Stat/MDR, publishers of the Microprocessor Report. The Xbox processors feature the dual-processing architecture of NVIDIA’s Xbox Graphics Processing Unit (XGPU) and Xbox Media Communications Processor (MCPX) to power the video game system’s standout graphics, audio and networking capabilities. The award, chosen by the analyst team of the Microprocessor Report, is one of the first presented in the fourth annual Analyst’s Choice Awards honoring the best in microprocessor technology unveiled in 2001.

Explains everything...