PDA

View Full Version : Dear Microsoft.....with love, XBA

mattcoxonline
02-23-2002, 06:31 AM
Okay, strange name for a thread, but what I want to know is what improvemnt's you'd love to see on Microsoft's next console.

I don't want any replies saying "But Xbox is still a new console" or moaning about *****e cos it's just a bit of fun...

Ninja Scroll
02-23-2002, 09:14 AM
Smaller console, smaller controllers, & da rest is all graaavy!:D

StudioAlex
02-23-2002, 09:31 AM
Bigger console and bigger controllers!

Seriously, I have no idea. They did just about everything right from a design standpoint. Sure, the next thing will be bigger and better but what new features will be integral (as the broadband modem and hard drive are now) I really don't know. Maybe by then everyone will want to have smells in games, so maybe that will be important. I don't know. Maybe they could be a little tougher on the crap they allow 3rd parties to release--a certain fighting game comes to mind.

Ninja Scroll
02-23-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
Bigger console and bigger controllers!

Seriously, I have no idea. They did just about everything right from a design standpoint. Sure, the next thing will be bigger and better but what new features will be integral (as the broadband modem and hard drive are now) I really don't know. Maybe by then everyone will want to have smells in games, so maybe that will be important. I don't know. Maybe they could be a little tougher on the crap they allow 3rd parties to release--a certain fighting game comes to mind.

I agree with ya StudioAlex!;)

jhixson2
02-23-2002, 10:13 AM
i bigger harddrive! and games that cost 40 dollars instead of 50!

StudioAlex
02-23-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by jhixson2
i bigger harddrive! and games that cost 40 dollars instead of 50!

Yeah, what's the deal with that. Ever since the DC came out, all the games have jumped up to fifty a piece.

Frostberg
02-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by StudioAlex

Yeah, what's the deal with that. Ever since the DC came out, all the games have jumped up to fifty a piece.

Hmm you must not remember the days of the $65 Genesis games!

Ninja Scroll
02-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg

YO frosty you must have forgotten about da most expensive game of all-times!

And it was on Sega Genesis. Do you know what game and how much it was?

Virtua Racing for MSRP of $99.99! That's right. The cartrige was bigger than the EA Sports Genesis games.
I rented it and it looked awesome,.. well back in da hay days when we were all drooling over games just getting into 3D!:cool:

SnOoPy
02-23-2002, 11:59 AM
SNES also had a $99 price tag game, I think it was call "Ogre Battle" I seen it in a Funcoland price list for $99.99 and that was used! Wonder how much it would be brand new :p

StudioAlex
02-23-2002, 12:33 PM
I think Phantasy Star 4 released for one hundred bucks as well.

StudioAlex
02-23-2002, 12:34 PM

Of course I do, but that doesn't change the fact that I wish games were 40 a piece. They were sixty and up in the 16 bit days because cartridges cost a lot more than cds and dvds to produce.

Frostberg
02-23-2002, 01:23 PM
but as the cost of the cartrige is now no more, doesnt really matter because also now more than ever it costs more to make a game...a whole lot more now that you need 3d artists, voice actors, expensive develomental hardware and such that they didnt really need or didnt cost as much back then because you could throw a game up a lot sooner...

redrum237
02-23-2002, 01:29 PM
dont forget N64
there games cost like $60- $75 when they were new

StudioAlex
02-23-2002, 01:35 PM
but as the cost of the cartrige is now no more, doesnt really matter because also now more than ever it costs more to make a game...a whole lot more now that you need 3d artists, voice actors, expensive develomental hardware and such that they didnt really need or didnt cost as much back then because you could throw a game up a lot sooner...

Yes, but with rare exception games still don't cost nearly as much as a movie does(I'm talking about your average action or sci-fi or celebrity heavy flick), but I only pay 20 or 25 bucks for them on DVD. The game business now makes more than the movie business, not because more people are into games, but because they charge more and enjoy a higher gross.

Frostberg
02-23-2002, 01:50 PM
dont forget that a movie has the potential to make a whole lot more than a game can...games could be $25 too, they would just have to sell twice as many, which would be impossible to do...and its kind of a "well all the other games are $50" thing. You already know the game will be $50, so its not like they are going to sell it for $40...and we all know that your store doesnt pay near that...btw, buy.com has some discounted xbox games...and controllers for $32.99!

StudioAlex
02-24-2002, 10:25 AM
dont forget that a movie has the potential to make a whole lot more than a game can...games could be $25 too, they would just have to sell twice as many, which would be impossible to do...and its kind of a "well all the other games are $50" thing. You already know the game will be $50, so its not like they are going to sell it for $40...and we all know that your store doesnt pay near that...btw, buy.com has some discounted xbox games...and controllers for $32.99!
It's funny that you bring up earning potential because now that I think of it, we never get the net from video game sales. WE only get units so we never know how much money is actually made. Videogames may be making more than movies. I think they are actually, as many more movies come out than games and the game industry now pulls in more money than hollywood.

Also, thanks for the tip on buy.com, I shall check it out in the near future.

Warthog
02-24-2002, 10:39 AM
Xbox is already the perfact system so you dont move anything:) :) :) :) :) :)

JimmieDoogan
02-24-2002, 10:51 AM
I paid a horrid 85 dollars for Killer Instinct for SNES . . . Boi what a game!

Plewis
02-24-2002, 11:17 AM
getting back to the subject, I just wish Microsoft hadn't lied to us about the specs... don't flame me because you think im a GCN owner... there is no way they can pull of that many polys, I would have bought the xbox anyways. But other than it being made by microsoft:D i think it's a great console

Frostberg
02-24-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
I just wish Microsoft hadn't lied to us about the specs...

They did?