PDA

View Full Version : FFXI Beta (ups and downs)

mrmp3
01-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Well for those who haven't picked it up, some things you ought to know.

First, I hate to gloat, but I was right. No additional content or bonus features than of the PC version. So whoever posted that news story and said he knew what he was talking about, like I knew all along, I was right. Basically, if you have the PC version don't bother.

Technically there's one feature the PC version doesn't have and that's "voice chat". Although you can technically still get it with programs like Ventrillo, XBL's is simplier (No configuration required), only you can talk to one person at a time because it uses XBL's private chat. Although there are 4 channels to use, you can't talk to all of them simultaneously. However, I only have 1 friend who plays this so it's a nice feature for us.

Starting off the game is a pain. First, n00bs galore. We got this when it came out on newsstands, and so did many other people apparently. Besides the japanese who already have chocobo's and the like, some people got this like 5 days before newsstands so you got some people in the 20's and by now probably 30's (for American players that is). As for the new people, lemme put it to you this way, there was about 1300 people hunting in West Ronfaure at one time. It was impossible to kill anything. Hoards of people just chasing after rabbits. Though it was funny for a bit, you began to realize how bad it sucked cuz you couldn't kill anything to level. I've played about 10-11 hours, and I'm only up to level 9, which is a lot longer than it take for me on the retail version, just because there are no mobs in the early parts.

The economy is messed up. Fish don't sell, that was how I made money. However, Lizard Skins which are easily obtained in Ghelsba Outpost go for like 5-6k. I'ts insane. A carbon fishing rod, normally 2-3k has gone upwards to 9k, but generally around 6-7k.

Nobody knows short hand. LFP, TNL, WTB, WTS, WTT, etc. noone knows it. It's frustrating cuz people use such overly long words and it just fills up your chat window so quick you can't read everything.

Once you play a bit though, you can seperate yourselves from the lower levels fairly quickly. I saw people who'd be playing about as long as me and were only lvl 3 cuz they were attacking mobs they didn't check to see how tough they were and got destrotyed. I'm at lvl 9, like i said n00bs who started around the same time are like lvl 3, and some other people who got luckier than me managed to get up to like 16-17 (this is just pople I saw start off the same day as me).

Oh one last thing, if you attack something, and it's got you beat, mages and stuff won't heal, a group of like 9-13 people willl just sit around you wait till you die and attack it to get it's EXP. Don't even bother calling for help, just disengage, because if you call for help the other people don't get exp for killing it, so they won't bother, unless they see you die, and see the mobs name change back to yellow.

Overall, it's very frustrating, but because I've played this before, I know how to advance so slowly but surely i'm not running into less n00bs. I try to help but some people just don't want to listen. Like I tried helping a guy setup macros and I said copy this next line exactly and he kept doing it wrong. It was so frustrating.

Quick shoutout to Brevity, if your playing man (just guessing cuz your always responding to my XI posts), send me a friend request. I'm only a lvl 9 red mage, so if your around the same level or could help power level me, that'd be sweet.

My suggestion, give it a shot. It's free, so I can't complain, send me a /tell if you want, lemme know your from XBA so I don't get frustrated. Character's name, Sabinblitz.

Keep in mind the install time is insane, so just be warned (2 hours+). Oh and it takes about 6GB.

Another thing, the disc is REQUIRED to play. Unlike the PS2 version or the PC version, the disc has to be in.

Brevity
01-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Nice write up:
I do play every friggen night and I get about 3-5 hours of sleep cus I suck and I got hooked again.
19WHM in Dunes.
Casper and several other people you might know are playing and around your lvl if I can get a chance I will shoot you a friends request. I just wrote your name down and stuck it in my pocket to remember. Also I got an LS I can invite you too. Mostly its former FFXI players so you can get some helps if needed. I might be willing to lvl a SJ with ya some time. We are taking MMs in the maze this weekend with an all mage pty.

mattgame
01-20-2006, 04:08 PM
2 hours to download? Damn that's a long time.

Crazy Joe
01-21-2006, 12:12 PM
2 hours to download? Damn that's a long time.

not even download... THAT would be understandable, 2 hours to download 5 gigs? that's actually pretty damn fast!!

this is two hours to INSTALL from the OXM disc, that's crazy....

BuLLsEyEWTF
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
It's free.. who can complain?
Where the hell do i get the online player code?