PDA

View Full Version : If there's one thing about Xbox I hate, it has to be OXM

mrmp3
01-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Here's another reason why this is such a worthless magazine excluding it features some of the worst writing in any publication ever. One of their tips which EVERYONE seems to be following in the FFXI beta is buying stuff from merchants and selling them for more at AH. Things like all pieces of leather armor, worms, etc. are much higher than they should be. Why would they just ruin the game like that for everyone? It pisses me off so much. And the reason it works is cuz there are people who are new who didn't read the article and new people who have read it. The ones who didn't read it probably don't know anything about the existance of merchants whereas people who read the article and experienced players do know they exist. So mindlessly they continue to still buy stuff from AH that's overpriced. I hate OXM so much.

CarGuy
01-22-2006, 07:38 PM
I played FFXI in late 2004 on the PS2 and that's the way it was. The AH was waaaay more expensive than merchants.. I was a level 20 BLM/ 10 WHM when I stopped. Just to reach that level it took me over 160 hours. I advise you to just stay away from that game..

Variation-XBA
01-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Your kidding right? The game has been like that since launch. People will do whatever means to try and make money ingame, and people that dont know better, or don't care when you DO have the gil, its mroe convienient. Easiest way I make my money at a low lvl :P

swivel
01-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm currently letting my subscription to OXM run out. I'm tired of the official magazines and how they pump up the hype, and forgive the mistakes of their systems. The thing that they are the best for is the scoops they get from having insider status, and every bit of that info makes its way to the internet posthaste.

Demo discs are going to disappear once everyone has an XBox2 and is downloading them instead. I can't wait for that. :)

mrmp3
01-23-2006, 01:19 PM
If they keep the demo discs, they gotta give'em to another magazine or make Xbox Nation like the new OXM. That I could deal with. But like swivel said, they hype up the Xbox, they don't admit to all of it's mistakes and the ones they do admit too they go "just remember Gamecube also..." or "just remember Playstation also...". It's one thing to hype a system but when it effects the quality of the article either cuz they overdo it or just the fact noone there knows how to write decent previews or reviews it just makes me ashamed for Microsoft that's the official magazine.

As for retail, I think it's more balanced, but now that I think about it, I always thought it's good and it's not. Like fire crystals were one of my money makers, but it's unfair to charge so much just cuz they are easy to obtain fighting orcs (especially when your trying to get an orchish axe). I know if I wanted to be a blacksmith that would suck.

All I can say is Huxley can't come soon enough.

CRAYMAN
01-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Actually, I think OXM is a pretty good rag. Sure, all of the reviews are a little higher than a magazine that rates all consoles, but for a 1-2 console specific magazine...they're pretty darn good.
Aaaand they're packaged with that neat demo disc. :cool:

Goku_69
01-25-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm currently letting my subscription to OXM run out. I'm tired of the official magazines and how they pump up the hype, and forgive the mistakes of their systems. The thing that they are the best for is the scoops they get from having insider status, and every bit of that info makes its way to the internet posthaste.

Demo discs are going to disappear once everyone has an XBox2 and is downloading them instead. I can't wait for that. :)
there not going to stop makeing demo's they will just get them way eirler then u can DL them like full auto, or them may even get exclusive demo's u never know

StudioAlex
01-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I get it pretty much for the demos. That said, it isn't as bad as it could be being a system specific magazine. PSM is the absolute worst of the bunch (or they were four years ago when I quit reading it) and they don't even have a demo disc.

swivel
01-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I get it pretty much for the demos. That said, it isn't as bad as it could be being a system specific magazine. PSM is the absolute worst of the bunch (or they were four years ago when I quit reading it) and they don't even have a demo disc.

PSM is unofficial at least. However, when the new XBox was announced, and with the PS3 coming out... I see both of my subscriptions going to rubish as they take turns making stupid promises, and needlessly bashing the competition.

I still don't understand how a subculture of gamers has already become so splintered and factious. We should be banding together against the true enemies: Politicians that blame crime on video games, parents that want kids to get skin cancer, instead of honing their brains and reflexes, and girlfriends that refuse to share their time with our gaming time in a completely fair 20/80 split. ;)

pitt4ever
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
My math:

EGM>OXM>Game Informer

swivel
01-25-2006, 06:35 PM
My math:

EGM>OXM>Game Informer

Amen brother. EGM is the best. Since they cover all platforms, they have true comparisons. I miss the days when the arcades were still huge, and EGM had reviews for all the big boxes as well...

sigh....

Marc
01-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I think it's a little biased.

StudioAlex
01-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Just because a magazine is system specific doesn't mean it has to suck, it just does 99% of the time. For the record, the Dreamcast magazine was excellent. But that's the only one I can recall being good.

EGM is good reading but it's a completely mainstream rag, with the expected reviews of a mainstream rag. Play is the best for enthusiasts by my estimation. GI, the absolute worst.

DD-KGann
01-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Hmm, I enjoy Game Informer. I think they have some great articles...

Their reviews are a little... harsh, but they are still a good magazine. OXM was decent... but they gave WAY too many good scores to mediocre games.

EGM is a great magazine too! I love that one, because it covers my Xbox and PC thuroughly : )

FB-Gollum
01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Here's my OXM beef du jour. A couple of issues ago, some kid wrote in asking how to make a system link cable longer. The geniuses at OXM tell the kid to go buy a little connector and then buy another "system link cable" ( :rolleyes: ) and connect it. I sure hope that'll be long enough and he doesn't have to buy a third. Of course, the *******s could've told him any old RJ45 crossover would work just fine and that he could buy one probably for a lot less than the microsoft cable.

It pissed me off because I feel for a young person gaming is an expensive hobby. With all the expenses on software and controller etc. to try and needlessly gouge them for a few extra buck when a cheaper and better alternative is available seems plain wrong. I wonder what'll happen when the kid realizes the "experts" he turned to for advice were just salesmen.

DD-KGann
01-26-2006, 06:40 PM
I agree! I called MS about my Xbox Live giving me errors, the representative told me I "should ONLY buy Xbox Cables".

HAHAHAHA.

mrmp3
01-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I haven't read EGM in a long time. I used they think they were the greatest, but it just seemed like for a period of time their big preview or review was kind of, well, really late. Like IGN would've done it like more than a week and half before. 3-4 days is understandable, but when it's that long, why pay for the magazine? And they cover PC games again? I remember their compy's were busted (or so said one of their responses to a reader mail) so they didn't do PC games.

GI I think is pretty good, and yea, they are harsh on their scores, and they also are bias a bit. The Oblivion preview was good, though the beginning they sounded so full of themselves "ever since our world exclusive preview of oblivion since oct. it since has become one of the most talked about games" like it was them that made the game huge. At least their previews are good, the bias doesn't really come in until you get to columns comparing systems or reviews.

To be honest, I forgot the name of it, but that magazine EB had, though it sucked, I'd rather have them than whoever's writing at OXM currently. The humor just sucks from the articles to responses to reader mail to the captions for the pictures (some of the worst attempts at trying to be funny I might add) and they just flat out can't write. Not to the point it doesn't make sense, but defintely to the point you just look at it and your like "wow, what garbage! Might as well just look at the score along with the +'s and -'s".

l Maximus l
01-26-2006, 11:32 PM
I discontinued my membership a long time ago...I had it for the first two years and they kept getting worse and worse.