PDA

View Full Version : Fan interview with Developers of Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion

Go420Dawgs
01-24-2006, 05:45 PM
It's a long read. So here's the link (http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223640) to the interview. Here's some of it.

Can you see your legs in first person?
No

Will having a hard disk for the XBox 360 have a noticeable positive impact?
Yes, load times are faster across the board.

Will dead bodies found by guards or other NPC's be reported or investigated. A heightened security alert of some sort? If yes, then is it possible to move the bodies, or will it remain the Morrowind "Remove Corpse" bit?
NPCs and guards will stop to examine dead bodies that they come across. They’ll kneel down and express their sorrow or wonder at the sight. The biggest worry you’ll have is that it will cause more NPCs to congregate around it, raising your chances of being detected if you’re trying to sneak through. You can drag bodies around using the “Grab” button, but it’s a slow process as bodies are heavy.

We’ve read that it's possible for "friends" to join a faction along side you and you can watch them progress. Is this governed by RAI or is it a specific quest thing? Is it even possible to make friends like that?
Radiant AI is a global system that governs every action of NPCs. While we use it to do grand, overarching things like dictating how and where NPCs spend their days and nights, we also use it in much smaller sequences to do things as mundane as moving a character across a room to pick up an item. So, in a way, everything NPCs do is at some point governed by Radiant AI. In certain factions, you will meet what we term “continuing characters.” These are characters who you will come into contact with at several different points throughout the questline. You can talk to them, watch them grow, influence them, and perhaps even go on quests with them and alter their paths through the game.

How exactly will Necromancy work? Will the Reanimate spell simply ressurect the NPC, or will it produce a zombie? Could a player play a Necromancer class from the beginning to the end? Can I ressurect skeletal corpses I find in dungeons? And will the reanimated NPC's be low level NPC's or will they become creatures and how long will they stay "alive"?
The Reanimate spell returns the NPC to life, but they become a shell of their former selves. The NPC is lifted off the ground, hangs in the air a moment, then returns to their feet to become your servant and assault your enemies. Only the recently dead can be reanimated. The reanimated NPC is returned to their full pre-death health.

On Vampires, is feeding still done with the absorb spell or is there now a sucking animation? What about the disease itself, is it still curable? How widespread is it among the NPC population? Can the PC spread the disease? Also will there be different clans, powers, and Stat boosts? Will we see any outside Elder Scrolls myths about them come into play? Any other goodies you’d like to tell us?
You can feed off sleeping NPCs, and there is a feeding animation. The disease has a cure. While it would be incorrect to describe vampirism as “widespread” in Cyrodiil, you may come across some in very unexpected places. Be very careful if you have to face one in combat. Not only are vampires supernaturally powerful, many possess an invisibility ability that they will engage at will in combat to pop out of sight, only to emerge behind you in full attack.

It has been said that the game will feature physics based telekinesis (like Psi-Ops and Half-Life 2) but there has also been discussion suggesting that objects in the world cannot be thrown to do damage.
Can the Developers please clarify this? Can Telekinesis be used combatively, either by throwing opponents or by throwing things at them (and if so, should telekinesis be moved to the school of destruction magic)? What about long drops? What about ricocheting arrows?
Enemies will not be harmed by thrown objects. There’s a lot of potential for frustration for players if we put that in, as it’s pretty easy to unintentionally send something flying off a table.

George89
01-24-2006, 08:42 PM
great find! :D

CarGuy
01-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Sweet. Maybe one day I'll get to play it..

Double_Diablo
01-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Great! I've got Oblivion pre-ordered already. :p

Go420Dawgs
01-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Yah This was the first game i pre-ordered like 2 months before i got the 360 on launch. I can't wait.

CarGuy
01-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Yah This was the first game i pre-ordered like 2 months before i got the 360 on launch. I can't wait.

me too.. holy crap I just remembered I bought it at EB

Ford Mustang
01-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Very nice. I can't wait for this game.