PDA

View Full Version : Sony's "Emation Engine"--Hype discussion

DJ tx
02-08-2006, 01:49 PM
So there is an article over on XBox Circle that is a good read entitled "Top 10 Bogus 360 rumors.

In any case, its good to hear from MS on these issues and get the facts and poke holes in the rumors. In addition down at the bottom, rumor #2 (article in descending order, so its at the bottom) anyway its a link that takes you to an article talking about past sony Hype and the "emotion engine" they were touting for the PS2 and it draws comparisons between the pre-PS2 hype, and pre-PS3. Any way its a good read most definitely...here is an excerpt that I wanted to share. Keep in mind this was written/published about a week before the 360 debuted on MTV last May.

"...what really matters in a cоnsоle is what game experiences it will offer. And as of yet, Sony hasn’t mentioned a single word about their next-gen games. Even Nіntendo, who remains tight-lipped about its Revolution cоnsоle, has revealed more of their plans for the next-generation than Sony."

"Instead of talking about what kind of game experiences the next generation PlayStatiоn will offer, so far the last few months have seen Sony playing a cat and mouse game with Mіcrosoft. Why? Probably because this time they have a serious competitor in the cоnsоle race."

"At the PlayStatiоn Meeting 2004, Sony announced that the PlayStatiоn 3 would make its first appearance before E3 2005 and it will be in full playable form at the trade show in Los Angeles later this month. But for some unknown reason, Sony cancelled that event and now it remains to be seen if the cоnsоle will actually be in playable form at E3."

"When will we find out more about the next-generation PlayStatiоn? Well, that’s a complete mystery. What is a fact is that in only one week we’ll learn the secrets behind the next-generation Xbox when it is unveiled to the world for the first time in the half hour MTV special. Rest assured everyone at Sony will be watching the show too. Will next week’s show delay the PlayStatiоn 3 unveiling even more or will it force Sony’s hand?

One thing is for sure. The coming weeks will answer all these questions, resolve the mysteries and provide a good idea of who will win the next-generation cоnsоle war. Until then, make sure to stay connected to TeamXbox.com for all the latest information regarding the Xbox 360."

Well, it is now 8 months later, and how strange that the available info from Sony about the PS3 is still the same lack of info. Nothing new, no actual system in place, no playable in-game footage. This speaks volumes about Sony. By the way I don't hate Sony at all, I have the original Playstation. I'm just preseting facts, and these facts paint a very questionable picture of Sony.

ll Mista GT ll
02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Sony will be pawned.. you will see....Sony is only good for TVs... but LG still pawns them...

swivel
02-08-2006, 04:08 PM
I would never pawn a Sony anything. Pawn shops are rip-offs. If you really need the money, you are better off putting an ad in the paper.

I've been starting my Sony and Nintendo threads in the "Other Console" section. Doesn't this thread belong there?

mrmp3
02-09-2006, 01:48 PM
It probably does but most people don't bother scrolling down to see what's in it.

Sony seems to be all smiles still. I honestly could care less, the 360 was a big investment, and they can't seem to grasp that (parents buying for kids especially) won't be plopping down another $400+ so easily. I can hear it now, "No Billy, we bought you the 360 last year, and that was a lot of money".

My next door neighbor who loves Sony and Nintendo, was never sold on Xbox, mainly because he isn't the biggest FPS whore like most of us. He doesn't like Halo for his lack of skills, so really proving that Xbox was a legitimate system was hard. We had the same discussion about the 360. Showed him XBA arcade, showed him how sweet Madden looks as well as Fight Night, Call of Duty 2, how much crap u can dload to your harddrive, and he was at the very least sold that Microsoft is a contender this time around. The only one who doesn't seem to see it is, well, Sony and it's majority of fanboys.

mattgame
02-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Sony hasn't even said anything about this years E3. Nothing.

thatdude222
02-09-2006, 07:19 PM
eh, ps3 is dubious to me so far. we know nothing. ill judge it once i know more. (prob E3)

swivel
02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I think the reason Sony hasn't said anything about the PS3 is because there isn't any need to. They do not currently have any next-gen competition. If you remember, they were talking out their rears back around the XBox 2 launch, to try and keep people from buying the system, but now that there aren't any systems on the shelves in any considerable numbers, I think they are staying mum. Why waste any info or hype when there is no decision to be made right now by the consumers? It would be folly to do otherwise.

If Sony was pimping the PS3 daily right now, I would be making fun of how stupid they are. Right now they want all the focus to be on what is being perceived, more and more, to be a weak launch by Microsoft. Every game delay is making news. If Sony was releasing info, Microsoft would be getting a free pass by the media.

As soon as the third plant starts ramping up production, and the XBox's sit on the shelves for more than a day, which creates a real supply, you will see Sony crank up the hype machine to try and compete with the demand.

If I know this, surely the new guy in the Sony mailroom and their janitor on the third floor got together and told somebody.