PDA

View Full Version : FarCry water effects: 360 vs. PC

Go420Dawgs
02-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Here's the link (http://www.xboxyde.com/news_2567_en.html)

Man the 360 version looks pretty sick.

gensundeit
02-11-2006, 10:43 PM
A stupid argument on the water effects I think. And maybe the 360 does have better water effects than the PC. But will this mean that the 360 FC is better than the PC FC.

A reminder that the FC for Xbox sucked.

l Maximus l
02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Honestly, I don't know much about Far Cry...and those screens looks sick!

Is it supposed to be a kick ass game? And, if anyone has played the PC version, what other FPS would you compare it to? (Referring to running pace, gameplay, etc)

Snowblind
02-12-2006, 01:06 AM
Far Cry for Xbox kicks ass. You sure you're playing Far Cry, gensundeit? I don't think so.

Honostly though, I'm one of those gamers who will spend like 10 minutes just gawking at and screwing around with the water in games like Far Cry or even Crimson Skies. I don't know why I do.....

swivel
02-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Aren't they comparing the water in the PC version, which is over 2 years old, to the water in the XBox version, which is brand new? That seems like a strange comparison to make, unless you are demonstrating how far the developers ability has progressed.

ll Mista GT ll
02-12-2006, 10:19 AM
It's not a good argument because they don't compare the statistics of the computer vs. Xbox 360. The info is very vague.

swivel
02-12-2006, 11:11 AM
It's not a good argument because they don't compare the statistics of the computer vs. Xbox 360. The info is very vague.

Yeah, they would have made the same point, even better, by just showing the XBox pics. Those shots are great enough to stand on their own. But when I look at the article, I almost imagine them putting up pictures of the original Wolfenstein to one side, and using that as an example of what PC graphics look like.

By the time the PS3 launches, the graphics chips in both next-gen consoles will be slow in comparison to what the PC has. Already ATI's 1800XT is faster than both of them, so 6 more months will leave them even further behind. Especially with SLI.

Not to badmouth the consoles, it is just the reality of having to plan the specs a year in advance, and the fact that you don't get to upgrade the hardware for 5 years. There is no way to future-proof the things.

swivel
02-12-2006, 11:38 AM
A better comparison would be to look at what the same company is currently making for the PC in the form of Crysis. Check out these screens to see what the NEXT generation of console will be hoping for in terms of graphics five years from now.

http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3147565

gensundeit
02-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Far Cry for Xbox kicks ass. You sure you're playing Far Cry, gensundeit? I don't think so.

Honostly though, I'm one of those gamers who will spend like 10 minutes just gawking at and screwing around with the water in games like Far Cry or even Crimson Skies. I don't know why I do.....

Yes I am playing FarCry, I own the one Instincts and the orginal for the PC. And I do have to admit that FCI for Xbox has some really knewl ass kicking features (climbing up vines, you swim much faster, and about two or three other cool features). IMO the PC FC totaly outdos the XB FC (plus the PC one has a better map editor-- though I've seen some pretty good custom maps for the XB also) since in the PC one you really dont have a max. number of items that you can place on the map (you can place more items in the PC map than the XB map fo sho).

My other complaint for FCI is that the graphics are weak COMPARED TO OTHER XBOX GAMES. The sun is just too weird and often times theres this annoying yellow/orange color that is in the XBOX version. Its the color that you get when your in the evening, its pretty sad that you can see this color on any of the levels EVEN IF YOU'RE IN THE MINES OR SWIMMING TOWARD A BEACH THAT'S IN FRONT OF A LUSH TROPICAL FOREST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway I've played both Farcry's FYI.

TheCovenant
02-12-2006, 03:01 PM
A better comparison would be to look at what the same company is currently making for the PC in the form of Crysis. Check out these screens to see what the NEXT generation of console will be hoping for in terms of graphics five years from now.

a few of those were actually fine art. ANd the last one was very unimpressive. The morning sun on the island was very cool, however, alan wake is on the same track as of right now.

ANd lets not forget about optimization, swivel. I dont care if you have a quad SLi system, if the programmers dont take full advantage of them, then whats the point? sure, you'll have kickass benchmark scores, but how will it improve the game?

greg756
02-12-2006, 03:18 PM
i hope they spend as much time on the enemy AI as they do on that pretty pretty water...and hopefully a good bit of new content....

swivel
02-12-2006, 05:23 PM
a few of those were actually fine art. ANd the last one was very unimpressive. The morning sun on the island was very cool, however, alan wake is on the same track as of right now.

ANd lets not forget about optimization, swivel. I dont care if you have a quad SLi system, if the programmers dont take full advantage of them, then whats the point? sure, you'll have kickass benchmark scores, but how will it improve the game?

I agree about optimization. All this horsepower has made programmers lazy. Especially the way they waste space since storage is so cheap.

How will it improve the game? Man... where to begin... PC games come with so many options that you can turn on and off for video and graphical settings. They build the game with a wide range of hardware in mind. Whether or not the game is fun is a different issue, but every PC game can be made much more immersive if you can turn on every option and run the game over 60 fps. With consoles, they are usually aiming for 30 fps, which is fine, but it means a lower draw distance, dealing with pop-ups and fog, less enemies onscreen, etc. There are numerous games that I have run at maximum settings and seen on my neighbor's PC with medium settings. The difference is like between that of the XBox and the XBox 2. It is night and day. Especially when you can move the resolution up to 1600 X 1200, instead of 800 X 600 or 1024 X 768. You are going beyond the highest of high definition, and still getting buttery framerates, and 4X AA, and antistropic filtering.

If you have never seen the difference, it would be easy to dismiss it, but once you have, you are addicted forever. You will upgrade components every 6 months to stay at the maximum the games will allow. Money is not an issue.

I think the people that dismiss PC's either hate the fact that they are so expensive, which is understandable, or have never played a game on a high-end PC. I can understand both of those situations, and do not mind people of that opinion, however wrong it might be.

mattgame
02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Looks unreal to me. Anything is good for the 360 now though. Hell I'd play Sesame Street Football if it came out and looked good.:p

BoogerBoy
02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Looks nice, Far Cry looks great on 360. I really liked it on Xbox, so I'll probably buy it when it comes out:hump:

Go420Dawgs
02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Looks nice, Far Cry looks great on 360. I really liked it on Xbox, so I'll probably buy it when it comes out:hump:

Nice to see another Atlanta person in here.

killerscott
02-13-2006, 10:37 PM

Idk man. I don't see anything special. Many of the pics I see are concept art... IDK just not great screens.
this
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1167/1116361333.jpg

compared to this

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2686156&type=lg

I just dont know why it is so hard to accept that right now at the moment xbox360 looks better than most PCs.

Jags
02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
hey looks nice
but would i go out and buy the game JUST to sit there and go "ooooo, ahhhhhhh" at the water effects...NAH

BananaMan
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Yeah, they would have made the same point, even better, by just showing the XBox pics. Those shots are great enough to stand on their own. But when I look at the article, I almost imagine them putting up pictures of the original Wolfenstein to one side, and using that as an example of what PC graphics look like.

By the time the PS3 launches, the graphics chips in both next-gen consoles will be slow in comparison to what the PC has. Already ATI's 1800XT is faster than both of them, so 6 more months will leave them even further behind. Especially with SLI.

Not to badmouth the consoles, it is just the reality of having to plan the specs a year in advance, and the fact that you don't get to upgrade the hardware for 5 years. There is no way to future-proof the things.
can you say quad sli brother?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=195

console ownage

swivel
02-14-2006, 07:55 AM
can you say quad sli brother?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=195

console ownage

Ouch.

Well, console fanboys will always have the Ferrari argument. They can complain that PC's are too expensive! (Anytime they resort to that, all I hear them saying is, "My console is SLOW, but CHEAP!) ;)

I can't wait to play Gears of War on my PC in 1600 X 1200 splendor at 70 fps with 4x AA and larger textures loaded.

killerscott
02-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Ouch.

Well, console fanboys will always have the Ferrari argument. They can complain that PC's are too expensive! (Anytime they resort to that, all I hear them saying is, "My console is SLOW, but CHEAP!) ;)

I can't wait to play Gears of War on my PC in 1600 X 1200 splendor at 70 fps with 4x AA and larger textures loaded.

All that I was stating was that the game you gave for an example looked mediocre. I spose I wont argue with the PC views. I just choose X360. It's just so much more fun.

swivel
02-15-2006, 06:15 AM
All that I was stating was that the game you gave for an example looked mediocre. I spose I wont argue with the PC views. I just choose X360. It's just so much more fun.

I agree with you there. Over the last three years, I have had more fun with my consoles. I love games like Ratchet and Clank, Mercenaries, Katamari, and the sports games. They are just great, sit-down fun.

I think, in contrast, my PC provides me with my gaming excitement. That's where I play my RPG's, FPS's, and RTS's. These are the games where you FEEL like you are IN the game, if you know what I mean. They give you adrenaline. They feel like work, sometimes, like a compulsion, like you have to clock in and get some tasks completed.

Which is why I bounce back and forth between my TV and my monitor. My PC is, by far the more powerful and prettier of the two... but I will always love the down time I get in front of my consoles, just having fun.