PDA

View Full Version : PGR3 cone challenges?

DJ tx
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Greetings all~

For any of you who have read my previous posts, you probably know about my PGR3 addiction...did I say addiction? no no no, its just a hobby, I can stop anytime I want...I just don't want to yet. ;)

In any case, I've completed most of the game at the medium/silver level, but the cone challenges are giving me hell. So I need some help. Are there any cars that you recommend for doing this? Obviously just navigating the cones is only a small part of it, the hard part for me is collecting enough kudos on these particular tracks. During regular races when I can go flying around corners and drift and spin tires I collect on average 1500-2500 kudos, and in some rare cases 3500 on a single race. I'm no kudos expert by any means, and probably have a lot to learn. But on these cone challenges I am needing a bare minimum of 1500 to win and can only manage 1250 or so.

So first, is there a car or cars that are better at the cone challenges?

Second, what is the best method during a cone challenge to rack up the kudos?

Anyone?

DJ tx
02-15-2006, 04:44 PM
C'mon guys...surely there are plenty of other PGR3 freaks out there who can help me.

Hmmm...maybe I'm not getting any replies due to some people in the US being at work still, and others too busy playing to read this forum. And other parts of the world, some people might even be sleeping. How strange to choose work or sleep over playing the 360...oh well, to each his own.

I hope I get some replies soon~

aasp
02-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I completed all the cone challenges at the hard level using the "sagaris"

here's what you can do:

Press A (handbrake) to drift between the cones, that will pretty much double your score and will make it easier for you. Also, try not to miss the cones, or crash because it really hurts your kudos.

I haven't tried the hardcore level ( too hard ) :)

ShadedNine
02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
I've done a fair number of the cone challenges on hardcore, but it's tough.

The hard part isn't getting the kudos, it's not losing them. What do I mean? Well, the points required for hardcore basically requires that you maintain a combo throughout the entire race. If you break your combo in half, you won't make it.

To keep your combo alive, you'll have to hit pretty much every cone gate in the race, and still pull off a few powerslides (the cone gates don't add points, they just keep the combo multiplier up there so that every move you do is worth 50-100x as much).

My car of choice for the cone challenges is the Mclaren F1. It slides well, and is still fast enough to bridge the longer gaps between cone gates without losing your combo.

CrazyCougar
02-15-2006, 10:27 PM
I used both the Noble M400 and the Ferrari F50 because they both have great acceleration to get to that next cone. The power sliding is a bit squirrely in them, but once you get used to the car its not so bad.
As the guys stated above, sometime you have to string together ALL the cone gates, with a few extra power slides added on to meet the combo requirement. On the silver level this shouldnt be the case, but it wouldnt hurt. I have about 15 more Hardcore events to compete in for 100% platinum in the game and its almost a must to string ALL the cone gates at a higher level. Or at least string 98% of them.

DJ tx
02-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Okay, now we're talking. This is the good info I was looking for.

Typically when I do cone challenges I have chosen the Ariel Atom Supercharged since it has great accelleration and slide-ability. I think my main problem is I was trying to do the cones without using the braking manuevers you guys are suggesting. The only kudos I am really good at are break-necking around corners. I hardly ever experiment with the handbrake because I'm not sure what to try with it in order to score kudos. I think mainly its a problem of not knowing exactly how to go about achieving most types of kudos, and ultimately if I see a kudo added to my score then I will learn from that and try to duplicate that action. But it seems to be hard to accidentally perform certain other types of kudos in order to learn them. I need to go to PGR3 school to learn this stuff.

In case you guys haven't figured it out, this is my first racing game in many years, and my first experience in a kudos-based racing environment. So with this in mind, is there any other advice that you have? Like a button-by-button breakdown of how and when to use the handbrake in order to slide in a particular way to increase my score. The past info was good, but I think I need more detail tolearn it.

Thanks again for your help. Hope to hear back some good info ;)

CrazyCougar
02-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Well one huge combo booster is when you can powerslide through a cone gate going around a corner. But thats when you get more experienced, trust me. You'll only frustrate yourslef trying to do it without really getting to know your handbreak and the slide of the car you are using.

Now, you dont have to powerslide every corner, and in actuality, sometimes it hurts your combo by powersliding because you may not make the next gate. Usually the best turns to slide on (use handbrake) are the 90's and the 180's. Most of the time the cones are positioned on the outside of the turn where you will be coming out of your slide. (MOST OF THE TIME, but not always).

In order to make a good slide, progress straight into the turn as if you were heading straight at the wall. Just as you approach the actual turn, turn the wheel and hit the "A" button to begin the slide. Try not to overslide ( meaning basically turning yourslef complete around.) As you progress through the turn begin to turn the wheel with the slide to straighten out and line up for the next set of cones.

Thats basically how I do it, and dont worry, you'll have plenty of restarts because there will always be that time you get overconfident and clip a cone while trying to get some extra kudos...LOL!

mattgame
02-16-2006, 03:45 PM
That is great info guys!! I'm going back at it. :cheers:

DJ tx
02-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Hey guys,

just a quick update...I followed your advice last night, and it worked great. I never really used the handbrake before, but now I see how useful it is for these types of kudos.

I think the main reason it never occurred to me to use it is because if you're braking alot then you aren't going fast enough, and in racing you should always be at top speed, or at least that used to be my thinking. For street racing obviously this holds true, but not for cone challenges and other similar tasks.

So anyway, thanks again for the help, now those cone challenges are pretty easy...well easy on Silver level anyway...I cant imagine having to hit all the cone gates, score really high kudos, and string it all together without error in order to win the harder cone challenges.

Anyway, thanks again for the much needed assistance.

Latah~