PDA

View Full Version : Question for anyone that has a new 360

Rooster
03-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Hey guys,
Now that the 360 is starting to show up in stores I will be picking one up in the near future and I have a question for ya.
Has anyone with a new 360 ( From the second batch that is now coming out) had the problems that were reported with the first batch?
Before I pick this monster up I want to make sure that the problems have been cleared out for the most part. I am really looking forward to seeing mlb2k6 on it and pimping it out a, but just want to be sure.

Variation-XBA
03-10-2006, 04:04 AM
The 'second batch' is exactly the same as the first, they haven't changed anything. Mines been flawless since day 1 so there ya go.

CrazyCougar
03-10-2006, 07:51 AM
I wouldnt be so sure that the "second batch" is no different. I am sure the problems that they were experiencing in the first run of consoles was fixed at some point. While it may not be a visual change, I am sure the later manufactured consoles are somewhat "different" in one aspect or another.

Mine has a December 06 manufacturing date and havent had a proble,..KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

DJ tx
03-10-2006, 08:48 AM
hey Rooster,

Yes there has been at least one change between launch models and the current models, although its only a change of DVD drives. The initial quantities had Hitachi DVD drives in them, and then later shipments were noticed to have Toshiba-Samsung DVD drives in them. The only reported difference is these later Toshiba-Samsung drives are supposedly somewhat quieter. I bought my 360 on Dec. 31st and have the later drive in my unit, so presumably you couldn't find the earlier made consoles with the Hitachi drive in them anyway, so you wont have a choice on that. Although, who would choose the louder drive if given the choice? Not me. You can read this info for yourself over at Xbox-scene at http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEuEllkAuFDfNUMopH.php

Anyway, the main thing to be aware of is that even though reading postings online and listening to "news reports" about 360 problems in the early days is very misleading. The 360 had a slightly lower than average failure rate than is normal for a console like this. SO by percentage very few people had problems. This is probably the same, possibly better, because assembly lines have had time to get used to making these units and know all the ins and outs of it, so mistakes will be fewer and further between. Also, the newer DVD drive I mentioned will obviously fix any issues related to extremely noisy DVD drives you have heard about, of course those seemed to be pretty minimal as well.

SO bottom line, go grab a 360, if you can find one. You wont be disappointed. The odds of you getting a "lemon" are very low.

Happy gaming~ :)

JimmieDoogan
03-10-2006, 11:51 AM
I have had it freeze on me. When I was changing music through Xbox Media Connect (or what ever the hell they're program is called so you can connect to the music on your computer) while playing Burnout. I'm pretty sure it was my fault, as I had pressed the button a couple times while the game was loading and I think I just confused the system and it froze... I didn't wait long so there's a possiblity that it would have unfroze if I'd have left it for a while. Other than that, I haven't had a problem. It's been all good. I absolutely LOVE the system. The style, the solid launch and slightly post launch titiles, the controller. The only thing I don't like is the shoddy backward compatibility. I think the controller was pretty damn good as it was, and forcing me to buy new controllers pisses me off when I've already got 4 perfectly good ones for my old Xbox sitting around. I love the moving of the black and white buttons to shoulder buttons but other than that I think I should be able to use my old controllers as well. And the list of games backward compatible sux. I don't think they have a clue when it comes to that part. Other than that, I dont' think a system has ever had such solid launch titles, especially one with so many seemingly good games on the immediate horizon. I've got Fight Night :yikes: , DOA4:confused: , Burnout :yikes: and Kameo ;) , and I'm quite satisfied with all of them (though I expected a bit more out of DOA...). I want GRAW so bad... but I can't afford it right now. :crying: