PDA

View Full Version : This will be quick

Hard Boiled Cop
03-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Ok my brother recently bought a wireless router for me so I can use both the PC and go on XBL at the same time. I opened it and I managed to get the PC internet working but not Xbox Live. I soon found out that it was not compatible with Live. I decided to get a refund but the company (Amazon) says once the box is opened, you can't get a refund. Bugger. So I went and bought another one, Linksys WRT54G-UK Wireless-G 54MBPS Broadband Router.

This will be quick.

Basically, we have Telewest Broadband 5meg (cable) and we want to hook our PC (Wired), Xbox 360 (Wired) and Laptop (Wireless) to this router. Is this router compatible and will I be able to hook the 3 machines up to use our 5meg line at the same time?

Sorry, I have searched the most of the pages and I couldn't find what I was looking for. This seems to be the quickest method.

l Maximus l
03-10-2006, 06:51 PM
It should work, but, I never recommend using the internet and playing on XBox Live at the same time...the game will lag up unless you have some serious bandwidth speed.

9 out of 10 times a problem exists after hooking everything up. This problem is simply resetting the modem and router. First unplug both the router and modem, wait 30 seconds, and first plug the modem in. Wait until all of the lights are on and then plug in the router and wait for all of the lights as well. First, test your Laptop and the wireless connection, then your PC, and then, finally, XBox Live.

If this still doesn't work, you may want to check the cables. The main reason why I say this is not because it's obvious, but, I had no idea that I had a bad cable and was frusterated for a solid 2 hours before I discovered that it was defective. Anyway, I put in a new cable and it worked perfectly.

mrmp3
03-10-2006, 08:10 PM
People browsing the internet and even downloading video and such really hasn't affected my bandwidth (just my personal experience). What has emphatically dropped my Halo 2 connection from green to low yellow is p2p programs. Don't expect to be running Limewire or eMule or KaZaa or w/e everyone uses these days and play games unless like Maximus said, you got a fat bandwidth pipeline. It's possible, but the speed difference is so obvious. It's almost instant too, maybe like 30-45 secs. after they open the program. So if you run into your games starting lag, check with anyone using a computer make sure they don't got those running. There is plenty of other things but that's just a really common one so I figured I'd mention it.

ShadedNine
03-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Ok my brother recently bought a wireless router for me so I can use both the PC and go on XBL at the same time. I opened it and I managed to get the PC internet working but not Xbox Live. I soon found out that it was not compatible with Live. I decided to get a refund but the company (Amazon) says once the box is opened, you can't get a refund. Bugger. So I went and bought another one, Linksys WRT54G-UK Wireless-G 54MBPS Broadband Router.

This will be quick.

Basically, we have Telewest Broadband 5meg (cable) and we want to hook our PC (Wired), Xbox 360 (Wired) and Laptop (Wireless) to this router. Is this router compatible and will I be able to hook the 3 machines up to use our 5meg line at the same time?

Sorry, I have searched the most of the pages and I couldn't find what I was looking for. This seems to be the quickest method.

Yes, that, and every other wireless router I've ever laid eyes on will do what you need. I don't believe there are any that are not "xbl compatible". They may not be supported or have any sort of guide to go with setting it up through xbl, but they still work.

Anyway, the Linksys will do just fine, and being one of the most popular models around, there's always tons of support.

For those trying to play games and download at the same time, DLink has a model of wireless that prioritizes packets from games over other sources, ensuring you don't have a bottleneck at that end (p2p programs are notorious not so much for hogging bandwidth, but sending out floods of packets to the detriment of all other traffic). You'll still want a fat pipe to the net, but few p2p programs really get going fast enough to push that limit.