PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Impressions???

Ninjermy
03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Still waiting to here how this game is. Come on people you should all own it by now!! Thouths?? :cool:

greg756
03-21-2006, 07:13 PM
i have no complaints, though if you are used to playing morrowind somethings have changed like the fighting which now is better and not just going up to someone and just hacking away, there is strategy to it now. in a couple days ill post a review i guess but i need to play it more there is not reall techical issues, i havent seen any framerate problems or anything, just nothing but heavenly textures and lighting and havok physics on everything in the game pretty much...oh and the landscape goes out soo far into the distance its insane...beautiful!

Heavens Gate
03-21-2006, 09:04 PM
i have no complaints, though if you are used to playing morrowind somethings have changed like the fighting which now is better and not just going up to someone and just hacking away, there is strategy to it now. in a couple days ill post a review i guess but i need to play it more there is not reall techical issues, i havent seen any framerate problems or anything, just nothing but heavenly textures and lighting and havok physics on everything in the game pretty much...oh and the landscape goes out soo far into the distance its insane...beautiful!

It really makes you realize how far gaming has come. It is a masterpiece in every sense of the imagination. It draws you into it's world and don't let go with clutches of steel. I'm blown away with everything this game is about. The graphics, gameplay and everything else. If this game don't get GOTY I'm going to be ashamed of the gaming industry. A new bar has been set and I don't think it will be matched for a few good years

mattgame
03-21-2006, 09:18 PM
It really makes you realize how far gaming has come. It is a masterpiece in every sense of the imagination. It draws you into it's world and don't let go with clutches of steel. I'm blown away with everything this game is about. The graphics, gameplay and everything else. If this game don't get GOTY I'm going to be ashamed of the gaming industry. A new bar has been set and I don't think it will be matched for a few good years

WHoa, that's high praise!

Heavens Gate
03-21-2006, 10:06 PM
WHoa, that's high praise!

It sure is Matt. And I meant every word of it. I never really got into RPG's until Morrowind on the Xbox. This is by far the best RPG on the plant right now. It's an escape from reality and you can live a double life through a videogame. That has to stand for something. It keeps blowing me away the further I get. You all owe it to yourself as a gamer to experience this piece of technology. Wow, just...WOW

TheCovenant
03-21-2006, 11:27 PM
superb. poeple complaing about the graphics need to shut up, the game is gorgeous. I cant say much for the gameplay, just cause ive experienced so little of the big pie. so far, jaw dropping is an understatement.

l Maximus l
03-21-2006, 11:46 PM
superb. poeple complaing about the graphics need to shut up, the game is gorgeous. I cant say much for the gameplay, just cause ive experienced so little of the big pie. so far, jaw dropping is an understatement.

Well, it could be because they are playing on a 20" Sylvania boasting analog coax only. :rofl:

Satch
03-22-2006, 01:33 AM
I don't even know what to say about how damn good this game is. I can't believe it's exceeding MY expectations.

Soda Jones
03-22-2006, 02:06 AM
OK, bought it and played it from 5 pm until now (12am) and I will be PISSED if it doesnt get GOTY from everyone.

HOWEVER

That's not to say that it's perfect. I have a few complaints, and these may be just what I have to deal with considering my pc set up, but my pc is pretty fast and pretty new so I think this is just common with the game. First, no framrate problems AT ALL. I was so worried, but there is nothing to fear. My big problem is the draw distance. Yes, you can see out into the sunset...as far as you can see in the real world, the problem is, there is a bubble about 30 yards out surrounding you, and if you're running or out in the open...and especially if you're riding friar tuck's horse, then you're going to really notice the draw distance, cause things start popping up out of nowhere...buildings that are not part of cities pop up at about 50 yards if you're on the horse. That said, it's my only problem with the game, and I gladly accept it in trade for the long distances of major scenery you can see which includes tress, mountains, and cities and any other major landmark.

Things I appreciate: The new fighting....you actually fight in this game, there is actually techniche and timing; the streamlined journal/inventory/map; the havok engine and the beautiful graphics with no framerate problems; the voice acting, the horses

....ill write more when i have time to really get into the meat, but so far this game has been beyond my already incredibly high expectations...it is that good...

p.s. my pc set up is amd 64 3800+ with a radeon x800gt and 1 gig of ram

oh and one last thing, when you start the game, don't be intimidated by the sheer size of the thing. Yes, you have no idea where to go or what to do except the main quest, well take some time, search around the main city, do some side quests, get a feel for the game, you'll be much more confident, your character will be stronger and better equipped, and you'll have a much better idea of what to do and how to do it. I really appreciate the directions for all the quests.

Soundscape
03-22-2006, 04:48 AM
ditto on the draw distance..it blows!
the only time i notice framerate issues is when i'm moving while an area is loading...and some of the load times can be a little long, but not too bad overall i guess(i hear it's slower if you don't have an HD).
the horse doesn't control to well either, imo.
and guards seem to show up out of nowhere sometimes after i've trespassed, even though no one saw me in the act.

i've played the game about 6 hours, and those are the only flaws i see in the game so far.
i'm a Redgaurd, in a custom 'adventurer' class...a black dude with long grey hair

swivel
03-22-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm addicted already. The game is all that it was promised to be and more. Just exploring, or sneaking through the grass with a bow, stalking some deer is so much fun. I've only done one plot mission, I'm just running around exploring. I'm at level 5 already because I picked some good primary skills, but I'm not even really trying to level up. Just enjoying the alternate lifestyle.

The game is perfect, but I laugh at all of the GOTY posts above me. You guys are crazy to already be -pissed- if this game doesn't get GOTY. It is March, fools.

Rhiannon
03-22-2006, 06:45 AM
I am so addicted. I have no complaints other than what Soda has mentioned but that does not take anythink away from the sheer brilliance of this game. I plan to spend some time today exploring/questing to get my toon leveled up. I am playing as a Female Dunmer Battlemage.

What are the rest of you guys playing as?

studepaber
03-22-2006, 10:05 AM
What are the rest of you guys playing as?

Breton Battlemage, soon to join the Fighter's Guild or maybe Mage's Guild....

Love the game so far, great graphics, music, combat, about 6 hours in....

Just closed the first gate and am about to go into the city to look for Martin, those dang Minions kicked my butt in the Oblivion plane though

wulkar
03-22-2006, 02:32 PM

now mind you this is still early in the 360s lifespan better games will come and better visuals with that.

i am getting it this saturday :D

killerscott
03-22-2006, 04:15 PM
I wasn't going to get it because I just got GRAW. I was going to wait and see what I heard and then maybe a couple weeks later buy it, but I was working at BB last night and everyone was coming through the place buying Oblivion and I had to get it. I do not regret it. It seems like a great game. I put in about 2 hours last night and I'm enjoying it. Graphics look great. Gameplay is better then that. It looks to be fun. I like the massive map that comes with it too.

edit: oh and I am a reptilian race (dont know if thats the right name) monk born under the shadow. Oh yes.

swivel
03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Man, I am geeking out over this game. It is an alternate reality I'm living in. I'm playing a Nord Custom Class. A heavy-armor, blade-weilding, Destruction magic-casting, lock-picker.

Let's see... I'm up to level 7. I'm the grand champion of the arena. I've solved a dozen or so quests, some very fun. I bought a house in Cyrodill, and I'm using my arena spoils to furnish it with all kinds of furniture to store my loot in. I'm finding forts and caves all over the place, and ridding them of baddies. I joined the Thieves guild and the Fighters Guild, and the Assasins guild has come calling for me as well. Still ignoring the main plot, and getting my bearings. The arena has been the best bit so far, and having a house takes me back to the Daggerfall days. Can I buy a ship as well????

pitt4ever
03-22-2006, 04:50 PM
I wish I could, but no money!

Nurb
03-22-2006, 06:33 PM
is there a draw distance setting at all on the PC version? Also, are there any sites that allow you to purchase and download the game? I don't feel like driving across town

LeoBreaker
03-22-2006, 07:32 PM
eh, the game is alright. nothing great in my opinion

Soda Jones
03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
ya you can choose you're draw distance, it's not that big of a deal on gameplay, it's only a minor complaint...my impression is that the pc version is much better than the xbox360 version at least from what I've heard and seen, but who cares, I've got the pc version :)

I've done the storyline up to the part where you give the books to the magic lady and she looks for clues into the books to find the secret bad guy hideout. I REALLY REALLY enjoyed the blades' secret mountain base, it was like the ninja place at the beginning of batman begins, even their armor which I now wear looks like the ninja armor on batman, it's awsome and beautiful. I'm now working on the gladiator thing.

Been saving up my money, i have 5000+ now. I'm level 5 I believe.

ll Mista GT ll
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Real dumb question, but is there Xbox Live for this one?

pitt4ever
03-22-2006, 08:36 PM

No, but it is Aware like all the other games.

TheCovenant
03-22-2006, 09:40 PM

theres a download icon in the menu, which is such a tease.

I retract my previous statements. The visuals are pretty damn good, but the draw distances, again, can kinda take you out of it. This was really close to being a perfect game, the only flaw being is the draw distance and pop ups. I fell sooooo relaxed when i play this game though. Almost therapeautic. I think im addicted to just walking around and taking in vistas. Ive been following the main quest, but ive already started to stray.

so yea. I dont know about goty, buts it definatly up there. I really enjoyed graw too though, so i dunno.

Whisper
03-22-2006, 09:46 PM
I want to hear opinions from people who don't consider themself RPG fans at all. Let them rip please.

LeoBreaker
03-22-2006, 10:02 PM
well they found the first glitch which gives you unlimited money. it has been done on the 360 version only so far. http://boards.ign.com/elder_scrolls/b5312/113085161/p1/?86

Soundscape
03-22-2006, 11:16 PM
I want to hear opinions from people who don't consider themself RPG fans at all. Let them rip please.
i'm not an RPG fan by any means, and i like this game quite a bit. much better than morrowind(the only other rpg i've owned).

anyways, i'm fuggin stuck in falling rock cave. i hate these places..it's so damned dark, which makes it pretty frustrating when you just want to get the hell out of there already. :mad:

and no glitching for me. that just ruins the game for me; makes things too simple and i lose interest quickly

Soda Jones
03-23-2006, 12:14 AM
for an easy remedy to darkness get a "light spell" it'll last 60 seconds, anyone can do it I think, it doesnt take much mp, and you can buy it in the main city in the main magic shop...i still havnt learned names yet, sorry....anyhoo, it's like a torch but easier and lasts forever...

I'm sure they'll use live for updates to game....and as for being an rpg fan, i am not. All the games I own are FPS, and that's why I love this game so much, because it has all the action and fight and all the cool experiences of an FPS turned into an RPG, it is the best meld of both worlds. The fighting really does get technical (as you learn when you play in the gladator games). This game doesnt disappoint. Anyone own the pc version? how do you take screen shots, it doesnt list it as an option.

Satch
03-23-2006, 02:09 AM
I've played around 10 hours, and it has froze 3 times....anyone else have freezes???

swivel
03-23-2006, 05:07 AM
theres a download icon in the menu, which is such a tease.

I retract my previous statements. The visuals are pretty damn good, but the draw distances, again, can kinda take you out of it. This was really close to being a perfect game, the only flaw being is the draw distance and pop ups. I fell sooooo relaxed when i play this game though. Almost therapeautic. I think im addicted to just walking around and taking in vistas. Ive been following the main quest, but ive already started to stray.

so yea. I dont know about goty, buts it definatly up there. I really enjoyed graw too though, so i dunno.

Is the draw distances an XBox-Only problem? Because I hiked to the top of a mountain, and could see the entire realm from there, the capital city, the plains, the water... I went and got my girlfriend and made her look at it (of course she just rolled her eyes, looked at me funny, and walked away mumbling). I have yet to see any pop-ups either.

I'm wondering if the large part of the release delay was the developer trying to code for the multiple procs, and if they didn't do the best job, a'la Quake for 360. Any ideas?

You know, it would be cool for us to find a spot, like the top of some parapet, or the peak of some mountain, and we went up there and took screenshots, or pics of our TV's, to compare and see if there is even an issue. Just a thought.

Soundscape
03-23-2006, 06:11 AM
it's the plants, animals, and people that suffer from draw distance/pop up issues from what i've noticed...they just seem to fade into the picture at a distance of about 30 yards...everything else is fine.
but maybe i misunderstood your question, swivel.

Rhiannon
03-23-2006, 06:19 AM
I've played around 10 hours, and it has froze 3 times....anyone else have freezes???

I have had 2 freezes and also have lost all sound when I loaded a game. So I shut down the Box and restarted and reloaded everything was fine on all acounts.

Soundscape
03-23-2006, 09:16 AM
there sure are alot of entheogens in this game. fly amanita mushrooms(amanita muscaria), morning glories, mandrake root, nightshade(atropa belladona/deady nightshade), sacred lotus, wormwood, ect. :trippin:

studepaber
03-23-2006, 03:46 PM
Hah, anyone see this happen in the game yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gNa7Cj5evos

I grabbed a dead wolf and started dancing with him, then threw him off a ledge and into a lake....There's alot of weird things in this game that you can make happen...

George89
03-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Hah, anyone see this happen in the game yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gNa7Cj5evos

I grabbed a dead wolf and started dancing with him, then threw him off a ledge and into a lake....There's alot of weird things in this game that you can make happen...

that was a great video :D

thunderkiss2k1
03-23-2006, 06:46 PM

I've had no problems at all. The game runs perfectly.

y2kash_14
03-23-2006, 09:33 PM
i just played for 6 hours straight.....I would still be playing if my 360 didn't overheat and give me a lame warning and return me to the dashboard...

this game is incredible. i'm wondering whether I should become a Vampire or not...

Pros:
+ Boost a bunch of my stats
+ Night Vision
+ Invisibility move that lasts 180 sec. and costs 0 MP
+ Vampiric Seduction

Cons:
- pwned by Fire (50% more damage)
- pwned by the sun
- People won't talk to you
- You have to constantly feed on humans to prevent sun pwnage

Ninjermy
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
WTF Vampies???
I NEED to stop at EBGAMES after school tomorrow and grab dis one fo sho!

Soda Jones
03-23-2006, 10:49 PM
i just played for 6 hours straight.....I would still be playing if my 360 didn't overheat and give me a lame warning and return me to the dashboard...

this game is incredible. i'm wondering whether I should become a Vampire or not...

Pros:
+ Boost a bunch of my stats
+ Night Vision
+ Invisibility move that lasts 180 sec. and costs 0 MP
+ Vampiric Seduction

Cons:
- pwned by Fire (50% more damage)
- pwned by the sun
- People won't talk to you
- You have to constantly feed on humans to prevent sun pwnage

Do vampires have a story line?

So far my coolest quest has been based out of bruma to the north. Go to the lady Count in the main hall of the castle and talk to her to get the quest, it's really fun, I recommend being level 5-7 before doing it though. Nothing like fighting huge trolls and timberwolves

y2kash_14
03-24-2006, 12:12 AM
hmm...I'm not sure if there are any vampire specific quests...(other than the quest to cure the disease)

But apparently becoming a Werewolf was another one of Bethesda's original ideas...unfortunately it got scrapped.

I actually enjoy RPG's but I hated Morrowind...I found it very boring and complicated.

But I love Oblivion...to me, it's far better than Morrowind, thanks to the new battle system, (of course) the beautiful graphics, and it just seems that it's more organized than Morrowind was (new menus, hotkeys, and whatnot.)

studepaber
03-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Hah, another funny thing I found in the game was casting enrage on bums (or powerful NPC's) and watching them duke it out with each other, bum fights? Also guards don't care much for enraged people either, the first time I did this to someone there was a handful of guards nearby and they shot the dude full of arrows.....I thought they would go after me but nope :D

Heavens Gate
03-24-2006, 11:44 AM

It froze on me this morning while loading another area. It's not your 360 though. It's just a mamoth game and there are bound to be a few freezes here and there. I am loving this game. Whomever said it's a stress reliever was on the money. My all-time favorite game by a mile. I love alot of games but when a game can suck you into it's world, that makes all the difference in the world. I still can't believe how far games have come. An absolute masterpiece. I love it so much that I'm actually getting a picture frame and framing the map to hang up in my game room.

CarGuy
03-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Anyone every been to Bravil? Well there's an argonian there named "City Swimmer" I figured one day i'd catch her swimming through the middle of the city or something. Well i came out of a house to find her running from the guards. They chased her into the church and killed her.. hmmm.... Then a guard walked up to her and said: "Body's still warm..." I hope this doesnt happen to any importan NPC's.

SPARTAN VI
03-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I must grace this thread with my opinion.

Just like Morrowind... the game is boring as hell! But I'm addicted. I love it!

It's nice how you can immediately "travel" to any town or dwelling that you find, but I feel that it disconnects the user from the game making it less immersive. So.. I aviod using the "travel" system whenever possible (since the environments aren't as populated with wild animals and such.

I have the same graphics gripe as TheCovenant, as I brought it to light in our conversation. Technically the "draw distance" is phenominal. You can stand on top of the hill and see for miles. It's the LOD or "level of detail" that's terrible. Pop ups appear at about... 20 feet. Textures don't seem to entirely load sometimes, seems like the same LOD problems Halo 2 had, but much less common. It just doesn't seem "next-gen." The improvement is welcome and noticable, but Bethesda really needs to ditch their current animator... same clunky animations that plagued Morrowind!

In any case.. I contracted Porphyric Hemophelia, the vampire disease. I used a cure disease potion in hopes of getting rid of it. But there's no way of checking what diseases you have, or what curses or fortifications are in effect! That's a step backward!

Nurb
03-24-2006, 02:56 PM
well they found the first glitch which gives you unlimited money. it has been done on the 360 version only so far. http://boards.ign.com/elder_scrolls/b5312/113085161/p1/?86
I just tried it on the PC version and its confirmed, though what does it mean when it says

"your killing of Dorian has been observed by forces unseen"?

how much does something like that count against me? I just started and needs some startin cash

SPARTAN VI
03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
I just tried it on the PC version and its confirmed, though what does it mean when it says

how much does something like that count against me? I just started and needs some startin cash

It doesn't "count against you." If you keep murdering people, the "brotherhood" will try to recruit you.

Rhiannon
03-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Go to sleep somewhere and when you awake, you'll be contacted by a member of the Dark Brotherhood.

Ninjermy
03-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Ahhh. I picked it up for PC. The game now controls my soul :(

Its so amazing...

Nurb
03-24-2006, 06:12 PM
thanks for the info guys, but to be honest the models and textures themselves look ugly

I noticed (my PC version) has a case of the 360 "console-itis", where the 360 is trying to show off its goods and therefore bethseda has loaded the game with VERY bumpy maps, lots of specular maps, and over the top, super-saturated HDRI (the bright light 'bloom' effect and color bleed), so the game just looks off. I mean, look at your swords and how pitted and rough they are, like the makers never heard of a grinding stone. Thos kinds of maps have been over done, just like in COD 2 were the light was unrealisticly contrasted to show off hi-resolution maps in an attempt to look next gen

thats my initial reaction so far

y2kash_14
03-24-2006, 06:41 PM
the Dark Brotherhood is hands down the coolest part of the game

thatdude222
03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
doesnt this go in rpg discussion forum? no biggie.
great game, just went to the monk place after the sewars. not too fat, but i am loving it.

Goku_69
03-24-2006, 08:03 PM
i am useing a wood elf and so far i have made became a member of the Blades. I am loveing this game so far, and Whisper i am not real big are RPG's the only other one i got into was KOTOR

CarGuy
03-24-2006, 09:55 PM
same clunky animations that plagued Morrowind!

They're not perfect but they're far, far better than Morrowind

swivel
03-24-2006, 10:28 PM
This game rules my every waking hour. Up to level 22, and not really by trying too hard. Just running around doing quests. Still haven't explored the main quest thread at all, too much other fun stuff to do. The quest variety is amazing. Best gaming experience I've had since Privateer in 1993.

Tops.

Jags
03-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Hah, another funny thing I found in the game was casting enrage on bums (or powerful NPC's) and watching them duke it out with each other, bum fights? Also guards don't care much for enraged people either, the first time I did this to someone there was a handful of guards nearby and they shot the dude full of arrows.....I thought they would go after me but nope :D

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....:rofl: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SHOT HIM FULL OF ARROWS :rofl: AHAHAHAHAHAHA POOR ******** ALL HE WAS DOING WAS MINDING HIS BUISINESS

Jags
03-25-2006, 12:41 AM
This game rules my every waking hour. Up to level 22, and not really by trying too hard. Just running around doing quests.
see here the thing that they said
u dont get experience point u get good at the **** u do
now that for me is the ****

Jags
03-25-2006, 01:04 AM
sorry to triple post :rolleyes: but i started reading IGN's review
anyway is there any boat travel in this game
coz i know that there water and all that **** but can u actually go a sailin

Kyle Static
03-25-2006, 10:07 PM
AHHHHHH JUST EDIT! EDIT DAMN YOU.

Anyways. I just picked up this game yesterday and it is definitely amazing. The draw distance isn't as big an issue as most people are making it out to be I think...or at least I haven't really had many problems with it.

The game gets a little "chuggy" at times, and I've yet to find why since it wasn't loading at the time, but it's not a big deal either. The Journal system is greatly improved but still....needs improving I'd say. I don't like the clunky, space whoring design of it. I'd prefer my quests to be simply named in such a way that I could click them and bring up their status, and location of the objectives rather than having to look at a "thumbnail-esque" design of the quest details.

While so far I'm finding the original Morrowind to be a bit more gripping (simply because it starts you off in a city with many interesting characters) hopefully the story and amount of character/NPC interactivity will increase as the game progresses. Oh...and I made a custom class...much better IMO simply because the other classes just didn't seem to have what I was looking for.

Soda Jones
03-26-2006, 10:49 AM
OMG I found a ride-able unicorn OMG I TEH ROCK!11!!!11!!

Look for it North of Bravil in the nibenay valley it is fighting two minotaurs.

J4320
03-26-2006, 04:32 PM
I read through this whole thread and I've read other reviews and I think this is probably the best game for the 360 so far.

After nagging the customer service of the free 360 site, they've agreed to just give me a gift card instead of a 360. So I'm gonna get a walmart gift card and I'm gonna sell it to my parents because they always shop there.

So I'm gonna go hunting for a 360 and I'm gonna pick this game up. :cheers:

Crazy Joe
03-26-2006, 04:37 PM
anyone else do the vampire hunting quest? The woman ran up to me, said she needed my help, I was busy, so I told her I'd find her later. Went to talk to her and as soon as she gives me the quest, I get locked in her house and she keeps telling me to get out so she can lock up. I had to get arrested to get out of her house. wtf is with that?

y2kash_14
03-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Shadowmere > Unicorn

I'm loving the variety in some of these missions...did anyone do the one where you enter the guy's dream? That was really fun.

But my favorite mission is from the Dark Brotherhood where you are sent to a mansion with five other people and they think it's a game in which they have to find the chest with the money and the key to get out. It reminded me a lot of Saw II. Well it's fun to kill them off one by one and see how paranoid the others get. I replayed that mission about four times just to see the reactions of the people when I kill them in a different order. It's fun to get them to suspect the others and have them kill each other...

DANCE MY PUPPETS! DANCE!

Satch
03-27-2006, 12:13 AM
OMG! HOW do you join the THIEVES GUILD? I've been wanting to forever

Right now I'm close to the end of the Dark Brotherhood (they got the dude hanging upside down dead, naked, a hole in his head, and his ***** cut out! ugh!!!! made me sick. And I'm the Grand Champion on the Arena. Done some of the main quest, and random other ones and have shut like 4 Oblivion Gates so I'm getting somewhere now lol. I just need to join the damn Theives Guild. I loved it in morrowind so I'm pumped for this one.

Jags
03-27-2006, 12:22 AM
OMG! HOW do you join the THIEVES GUILD? I've been wanting to forever

Right now I'm close to the end of the Dark Brotherhood (they got the dude hanging upside down dead, naked, a hole in his head, and his ***** cut out! ugh!!!! made me sick. And I'm the Grand Champion on the Arena. Done some of the main quest, and random other ones and have shut like 4 Oblivion Gates so I'm getting somewhere now lol. I just need to join the damn Theives Guild. I loved it in morrowind so I'm pumped for this one.
i read some **** saying that u have to spend a day in prison for stealing to join it

P.S:
i havent got this game yet but i read everything i could about it and as soon as i get my hands on some more $$$$$$$$ :hardcore:$$$$$$ ill be rushing to the store to get it....im so bored right now.... :D

y2kash_14
03-27-2006, 03:02 AM
To join the thieves guild:

1. Look around Imperial City for some wanted posters of Gray Fox...(usually by the entrances.) Examine it. Now talk to a beggar and ask him about Gray Fox.

or

2. Get caught for stealing. Go to jail. When you come out someone will talk to you about the Thieves guild.

option two is much quicker and reccomended.

TheCovenant
03-27-2006, 10:32 AM
i became arena grand champion as well DId anyone do the agronak mission?

SPOILERS

Agronak, or the gray prince, is that orc guy who is always slashing away at a chunk of wood in the red room at the arena. Supposedly he wants to reclaim his nobility, lost at birth cause his father condemned it. so he sends you to his house and you go looking for some proof that the gray prince is really the son of the noble man. You go to his house, which is long since abandoned, and start dungeon crawling through it. Suddenly, you are attacked by some crazed guy. WHen you kill him (you have no other choice) you find out it was agronaks father! You keep searching for proof of agronaks father being a nobleman, and you find a journal which basically reads:

My girlfriend, an orc, is pregnant! oh joy! (this means he wanted to keep the child), now i have to confess my horrible truth. I have to tell her that i am a vampire.

Entry 2 or some such states that the girlfriend became terrified of her boyfriend and locked him inside his mansion, and ran away to the imperial city. The father went crazy from not feeding, which is why he attacks you when you go into the house.

AFter telling agronak, the grand champions this, he says "let us meet in the arena, where i will end my misery" and then when you fight the arena grand champion, he lays down his arms and lets you strike him down without retaliation.

END SPOILERS

such a dramatic story, for such a puny side quest. this much attention to detail is simply astonishing.

CrazyCougar
03-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Gamefly is sending this too me as wee speak. I cant wait to play this one! Looks like I'll only be returning one game each time, cause I think Oblivion will be in my household for some time! LOL!

thatdude222
03-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Gamefly is sending this too me as wee speak. I cant wait to play this one! Looks like I'll only be returning one game each time, cause I think Oblivion will be in my household for some time! LOL!just buy oblivion, you'll want to keep it for months.

FatBox
03-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Well I've already got over 20 hours of gameplay and I have become the Grand Champion in the arena which was really fun and it kinda reminded me of Fable. But this is by far the best RPG I have ever played, seriously, the physics are absolutely UNREAL. I can't believe how godly amazing the physics are in this game it blows me away, as well as the graphics. Also for anyone that wants to know, you can join both the Mage's and the Fighter's guild, I think you can join as many as you want. The storyline is amazing. Gaming has really taken a big leap this month... I have no regrets in buying this game.

SPARTAN VI
03-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Accidentally became a vampire! Went into a cave, fought a handful of vamps, got prophyric (something like that) hemophelia, used a cure disease potion and THOUGHT it worked. Went to sleep later that day, woke up a neck biting vamp.

It's so awesome.. there are 4 stages it seems. Stage 1, you get small boosts (+5) in almost all of your stats and skills, but a small weakness to fire and your face changes, you get some wrinkles and look thinner and pale, immunity to diseases, and you gain a night eye + detect life 100ft spell. Stage 2, you're even stronger, stats and skills have increased to +10, face is thinner, higher cheakbones, pale, a charm spell, and a small weakness to sun (-1 damage for every second, I think). Stage 3, stronger and stronger, I think it's +15-20 for your stats and skills, another spell (I forget), take much more sun damage (+4 per second), higher cheek bones, thinner face, and angled eye brows. Stage 4, you're hideous, tiny thin face pale as can be, eyes white. Strong as hell +25 to your stats and skills, but take more sun damage, and I think another spell.. but NO one will want to talk to you, by now they see you're a vampire.

What's neat about this is.. you'd think the more you feed on people, the stronger you'd get? Wrong. It's actually the classical vampire. You feed to retain your mortality, to remain as human as possible. So whenever you feed, you go back to Stage 1 vampirism (little stronger here and there, with just an older looking character). If you go days without feeding, you'll progess to the later stages.

What's even better about being a vampire is it's reversable. It's a very difficult quest, but it's part of the game.. and games are fun! In any case, I didn't want to be a vamp so early so I reloaded the game to about 15 minutes earlier when I only have the hemophelia, went to a temple of the nine, and cured it. I'll get vampirism later. :hardcore:

SPARTAN VI
03-27-2006, 03:06 PM
One more thing, and this deserves its own post.

One of the best improvements over Morrowind... No Cliff Racers.

...I think, haven't gotten that far.

I hope I didn't speak too soon.

FatBox
03-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Accidentally became a vampire! Went into a cave, fought a handful of vamps, got prophyric (something like that) hemophelia, used a cure disease potion and THOUGHT it worked. Went to sleep later that day, woke up a neck biting vamp.

It's so awesome.. there are 4 stages it seems. Stage 1, you get small boosts (+5) in almost all of your stats and skills, but a small weakness to fire and your face changes, you get some wrinkles and look thinner and pale, immunity to diseases, and you gain a night eye + detect life 100ft spell. Stage 2, you're even stronger, stats and skills have increased to +10, face is thinner, higher cheakbones, pale, a charm spell, and a small weakness to sun (-1 damage for every second, I think). Stage 3, stronger and stronger, I think it's +15-20 for your stats and skills, another spell (I forget), take much more sun damage (+4 per second), higher cheek bones, thinner face, and angled eye brows. Stage 4, you're hideous, tiny thin face pale as can be, eyes white. Strong as hell +25 to your stats and skills, but take more sun damage, and I think another spell.. but NO one will want to talk to you, by now they see you're a vampire.

What's neat about this is.. you'd think the more you feed on people, the stronger you'd get? Wrong. It's actually the classical vampire. You feed to retain your mortality, to remain as human as possible. So whenever you feed, you go back to Stage 1 vampirism (little stronger here and there, with just an older looking character). If you go days without feeding, you'll progess to the later stages.

What's even better about being a vampire is it's reversable. It's a very difficult quest, but it's part of the game.. and games are fun! In any case, I didn't want to be a vamp so early so I reloaded the game to about 15 minutes earlier when I only have the hemophelia, went to a temple of the nine, and cured it. I'll get vampirism later. :hardcore:
If you go to the chapel you might be able to get it cured because the chapel is suposed to heal all defects.

SPARTAN VI
03-27-2006, 03:34 PM
If you go to the chapel you might be able to get it cured because the chapel is suposed to heal all defects.

Nope, doesn't heal vampirism, only porphyric hemophilia...

Whether you want to know or not, porphyrins are organic compounds in your blood, usually present in coagulated blood (thick blood or rotting blood). Hemophilia is a blood disease characterized by the inability for the blood to coagulate; a cut can be lethal to a hemopheliac. A seeming contradiction; coagulated blood that can't coagulate? This roughly translates into bad or dirty blood (porhyrins) that must be replenished with clean blood as the hemophiliac cannot retain his own blood. Vampirism.

Jags
03-29-2006, 08:14 PM
75% chance im getting this mother ****er on the weekend... im exicted... but in a way dreading my social life being over after this weekend...hopefully the game sucks balls... :hardcore:

wulkar
03-29-2006, 09:03 PM
one word:

Tight.

mattgame
03-29-2006, 09:05 PM
I wish I had the time to play. I would have it if I did. Is it that good?

y2kash_14
03-29-2006, 09:34 PM
I wish I had the time to play. I would have it if I did. Is it that good?

oh yes. yes it is.

trixmaster
03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
In any case.. I contracted Porphyric Hemophelia, the vampire disease. I used a cure disease potion in hopes of getting rid of it. But there's no way of checking what diseases you have, or what curses or fortifications are in effect! That's a step backward!
You can check your diseases/curses/fortifications. Hit B, go to the magic section, then go to the tab on the far right. It will tell you what's going on.

Also, this game is pretty much ruining my life. I don't go to bed till late, i set my alarm so i can play it early, it's horrible. I'm at 32 hours so far and I didn't even start the main quest until the 18th hour!

nesgamingcom
03-30-2006, 10:57 AM
with all these good reviews in this thread im on my way to go pick up the game tonight

OblivionJunkie3
03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I got this game roughly about 3 months ago and since ive been busy w/ school iv only gotten about 30 hrs in to it but im a lvel 44 argonian and im in the process of dominating as a wood elf :)

Ares.
03-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I got this game over a year ago... I beat it like 3 times with a breton, high elf and a nord.... im on my 4th character, with a breton again. This game you can really get into your character. If you want to have a very strong one you have to put a lot of time into his skills, and if you know how you can have 100 in all attributes even luck. This game got me into RPGs, and if you like this game, you will love Dragon Age Origins. I kinda liked Dragon Age alittle bit better, looks like Oblivion Finally has some competition.

P.S. use this guide to help you with oblivion its really good: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

And heres a guide for Dragon age:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Origins

have fun....

Fargoth
03-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Jesus christ ressurecting all the threads.

Ares.
03-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Jesus christ ressurecting all the threads.

why you gotta do that kid, why do people like posting stuff like this. " jesus guys you posted on an old thread, jesus guys" .... its annoying.....

Variation-XBA
03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Fargoth got told! :yikes::yikes:;):rofl: