PDA

View Full Version : Major Oblivion Bug!

SPARTAN VI
03-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Source: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=293533

The no spoilers bug description:

There are a certain few quests that provide a certain kind of reward. This certain kind of reward causes a skill to never be able to learn or advance moving forward from that point. The skill is 'stuck' if you will. I have spent a couple of hours making sure there was no way around it except for not completing the quest. Unfortunately, I have no workaround. My digging into the quests in the construction set reveals a bug that needs developer attention. The only work-around in the construction set is to alter the reward to not be the certain special kind. Not a big deal to actually perform this mod, but a bummer in removing something interesting.

Spoiler description additions - skip if you understood the above

There are quests (including Ftrs Guild rats, rescuing a girl, and a few more) that give as a reward levels up in a skill. The rescue a girl quest gives a boost of 5 levels in Mercantile. Afterwards, the Mercantile skill is forever stuck. I found no condition that I could get the Mercantile skill to be unstuck after receiving my reward. It has nothing to do with leveling up, sleeping, stat values or anything else under player control. There is a call within a number of scripts (ModPCSkill) that itself is not a script. That would indicate internal game code that modders don't have access to.

I hope you guys didn't rescue Dar Ma at Hack Dirt... you get rewarded in Mercantile. I haven't checked to see if my skill is frozen, but chances are it is..

PC folks can just input a cheat to bypass the bug. Manually entering how much skill they want to add. We have it bad. It'll probably take a month or two before Bethesda gets us something. :mad:

Go420Dawgs
03-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Yah theres also the infinite gold bug that needs to be fixed.

Spoiler

To get infinite gold goto the Talos Plaza District in the imperial city. Goto dorians house and kill him. Now take each of his items one at a time leaving the gold for last. Now simply start taking the gold and you will be able to take as much as you want. I tried it out and it worked for me. Works for both the 360 and pc. Read it on some xbox forums last friday or sat. Just be sure not to do the take all or to take the gold first.

SPARTAN VI
03-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Well... the bug effectively ****ed me in the ass. Some PC guys figured out how to mod the game to get around the bug. No official word from Bethesda.. so this could take a while./

Heading over to Best Buy now to exchange this for the PC version. :bang:

TheCovenant
03-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Well... the bug effectively ****ed me in the ass. Some PC guys figured out how to mod the game to get around the bug. No official word from Bethesda.. so this could take a while./

Heading over to Best Buy now to exchange this for the PC version. :bang:

hot off the press, the bug isnt such a detriment. a secret source (spartan, aka Jon Gray) has informed me that the bug works kindof like a skill advancement, with no interest. If your a level 25, say, blade, and your quest rewards you 5 points, you'll show 30, and act thirty, but the system in the background will be adding up from 25, so when you get to thirty one in the background, your'll start seeing stat increase again. neat.:hump:

Whisper
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
wow.. an RPG game with glitches.. this ... is... shocking...

vman
03-27-2006, 10:47 PM
guys, if you are going to post a spoiler, but the text in the spoiler brackets.

SPARTAN VI
03-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Already traded it for the PC version, looks and plays better anyway. D'oh.. :)

Whisper, this could've been a very critical bug. In fact, a few Xbox360-Oblivion players are still reporting the glitch. If you read the thread, one guy says he's "been playing for 15 hours and his mercantile is still stuck." At least with the PC version, I can immediately grab updates or user made mods. Life saver FOSHO!

Well, when the problem was still projected as PERMANENT, it'd only be logical to post a quest where the glitch occurs. How else can you avoid the glitch? "Rescue Dar Ma at Hack Dirt" spoils an entire 5 minutes, 1 quest of hundreds... I was more concerned about the glitch and making sure you guys don't make the same mistake I did.

TheCovenant
03-28-2006, 12:54 AM
i dont really understand what got spoiled?

CarGuy
03-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Who gives a flying **** about mercantile skill. This isn't a major bug. This isn't even a minor bug. LAME.

SPARTAN VI
03-28-2006, 02:21 AM
Who gives a flying **** about mercantile skill. This isn't a major bug. This isn't even a minor bug. LAME.

Uhh-huh... I hope you're joking.

But just in case you really didn't read the post...

It's NOT only the mercantile skill, it affects ANY SKILL THAT'S AWARDED AFTER A QUEST. The most common would be the Arena quests, where you're awarded blade, block, etc. which become "stuck." If this is a permanent freeze on the stats, then it's a pretty bad bug. Especially since you can finish the Arena at level 5, how would you like to have your blade, marksmanship, block, etc skill forever frozen at 15? :confused:

The Dar Ma rescue quest is just the first place this was noticed, it seems. And it is the quest that I can relate to, as I haven't gone to the Arena.

CarGuy
03-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Ouch.. oooohh.. damn..

SPARTAN VI
03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah. But we've already figured out that this is not permanent. X360 players are stepping forward, having completed these affected quests, and reporting no "stuck" skills. Others are still moaning after so-and-so amount of time and they're still "stuck."

Ah well. I acted too quickly... Still, looks much better on my PC, sounds better on my 5.1 rather than my TV speakers, easier to navigate the interface with the mouse and keyboard, and the mod community ready to mod and patch. Only problem I have is when there's fighting, even with a few characters, it begins to slow down. Upgrading to SLI 7900GTs now. :p

Conchord
03-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh noes my MERcantile skillz are sTucks!!!1111

vman
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
i dont really understand what got spoiled?
well i was just saying when ppl start posting things with "spoiler" written above them, it'd be kinda nice to just put them in the brackets. im not saying anything got spoiled but i mean, just showing curtousy to other members in the forums.

SPARTAN VI
03-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh noes my MERcantile skillz are sTucks!!!1111

MERCANTILE PWNS!!1! You guys don't even know! I'll pay my enemies to kill themselves! :hardcore:

Heavens Gate
03-28-2006, 12:31 PM
There are still a ton of bugs for this game. Missing dialog, things disappearing from your inventory, getting busted for doing nothing etc.

Go420Dawgs
03-28-2006, 05:25 PM
well i was just saying when ppl start posting things with "spoiler" written above them, it'd be kinda nice to just put them in the brackets. im not saying anything got spoiled but i mean, just showing curtousy to other members in the forums.

Vman who really cares. I was just pointing a fact out about the infinite gold. This sounds like a personal problem to me. Since you seem to be the only one in a tizzy about it. Im sure if it really mattered an XBA staff member would have said something to me. 'Nuff said.

SPARTAN VI
03-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Vman who really cares. I was just pointing a fact out about the infinite gold. This sounds like a personal problem to me. Since you seem to be the only one in a tizzy about it. Im sure if it really mattered an XBA staff member would have said something to me. 'Nuff said.

Don't think his post was directed at you. He was pointing out how the quoted text had the word "spoiler" in it, but I didn't use spoiler tags.

The "spoiler description addition" doesn't really "spoil" anything, to me at least. The description is so vague; its only purpose is to single out the bug. :confused:

I'm going to play some Oblivion now.. all this talk ABOUT the game isn't nearly as fun as PLAYING it. :hardcore:

Kyle Static
03-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Solv-0wn-3d!!!111

I'm not surprised if people complain about the mercantile skill still being "stuck". After all it takes a while to even upgrade the skill noticably, so I'm not surprised that if there were a delay in it's level upgrade that it would take much longer. Ah well....I am still eating/breathing and loving Oblivion....so hopefully it'll stay that way after I clear the cache to help with load times.

SPARTAN VI
03-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Solv-0wn-3d!!!111

I'm not surprised if people complain about the mercantile skill still being "stuck". After all it takes a while to even upgrade the skill noticably, so I'm not surprised that if there were a delay in it's level upgrade that it would take much longer. Ah well....I am still eating/breathing and loving Oblivion....so hopefully it'll stay that way after I clear the cache to help with load times.

The people that got their blade, block, marksman stuck were even more pissed off. They wanted blood!

As for the slow leveling, believe it or not, us PC guys are trying to mod the game to slow down the leveling system. Bethesda implemented a new leveling system that raises the level and difficulty as you gradually advance. This is why easier opponents disappear as you level up, this is why you can kill multiple vampires at level 3, this is why you can complete the arena at level 2, this is why when you're at level 25 the common bandit has DEADRIC OR GLASS ARMOR but still want to mug for your 25 gold... :rolleyes:

You'd think at level 40, there should be characters that you'll absolutely annihilate. Or if you're at level 1 and walk into the arena, you'll get your ass handed to you. They ditched the ways of Morrowind and stepped backward with this leveling system. Bad Bethesda... the only way us PC guys can get around it is by modding it (will take a long long time) or by slowing the leveling system so that it takes a while to reach higher levels (our temporary solution).

nesgamingcom
03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
note to self. do not complete those quests

Crazy Joe
03-30-2006, 01:08 PM

I would read the rest of the thread... there is no reason not to complete these quests. It still increases your stats by the said amount, you just cant manually increase it higher until you catch up to the increase.

Conchord
03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I would read the rest of the thread... there is no reason not to complete these quests. It still increases your stats by the said amount, you just cant manually increase it higher until you catch up to the increase.

As soon as I read spartan's first post, I figured this would work...so, I guess its not really free stats, since you have to wait for them to come back up anyway.

SPARTAN VI
03-30-2006, 03:59 PM

No! You've misunderstood or didn't read the entire thread.

Quests that reward you with stats are fine now.. the stat gain is a "loan" if you will. Statistically your stats are where YOU left them, but EFFECTIVELY where you were rewarded. When you STATISTICALLY raise your stats to the EFFECTIVE level, you're no longer "stuck." It's not as severe as it was thought to be.

ShadedNine
03-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Ah well. I acted too quickly... Still, looks much better on my PC, sounds better on my 5.1 rather than my TV speakers, easier to navigate the interface with the mouse and keyboard, and the mod community ready to mod and patch. Only problem I have is when there's fighting, even with a few characters, it begins to slow down. Upgrading to SLI 7900GTs now. :p

TV speakers? eew.

Anyway, there's a ton of things you can do to make a serious jump in performance for the PC version.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36222 is a start, though there's tons and tons more information available at the official forums. Plus, they list a few good mods. The improved interface mod is a true blessing.

The modding system for Oblivion is quite probably the best I've ever seen in a game. The only games that compare would have to be Civ 4 and Neverwinter Nights.

CRAYMAN
03-31-2006, 10:31 AM
I think I'll wait for a patch to see if they adjust/fix these issues before I purchase.

I read a review that seemed to be concerned with the slowdown and load times.

You certainly SHOULD still see those significantly beneath you and throttle them...at least on occasion. Uhhh, Fable RUUUULLLLZZZZZZ!!!!!

:surprised

SPARTAN VI
03-31-2006, 11:23 AM
TV speakers? eew.

Anyway, there's a ton of things you can do to make a serious jump in performance for the PC version.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=36222 is a start, though there's tons and tons more information available at the official forums. Plus, they list a few good mods. The improved interface mod is a true blessing.

The modding system for Oblivion is quite probably the best I've ever seen in a game. The only games that compare would have to be Civ 4 and Neverwinter Nights.

Yeah, 27" Mitsubishi tube. Blech! :nightmare

Way ahead of you on those optimizations. Did a little searching myself and led me to that same website. With the driver updates alone (nvidia's 81.89 to 84.25) I got a little over 5fps boost. Went from averaging 15-20fps outdoors to 20-30 (still not too good) and 30-90 indoors (cha-ching). Eliminated all mouse lag, too. Turned off the soupy textures, and have a billion mods (I'll down the list if anyone asks).

ShadedNine
03-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Eliminated all mouse lag, too

Exactly what sent me out searching for tweaks in the first place.

I never did figure out if it was my tweaks or the switch to Omega drivers that made it go away, but it's gone.

The 360 still absolutely embarasses my PC though, and on the same display.

swivel
04-01-2006, 04:59 AM
Exactly what sent me out searching for tweaks in the first place.

I never did figure out if it was my tweaks or the switch to Omega drivers that made it go away, but it's gone.

The 360 still absolutely embarasses my PC though, and on the same display.

Emphasis on -My- PC.

The real high-def gameplay is at 1600 x 1400.

Kyle Static
04-01-2006, 08:02 PM
The people that got their blade, block, marksman stuck were even more pissed off. They wanted blood!

As for the slow leveling, believe it or not, us PC guys are trying to mod the game to slow down the leveling system. Bethesda implemented a new leveling system that raises the level and difficulty as you gradually advance. This is why easier opponents disappear as you level up, this is why you can kill multiple vampires at level 3, this is why you can complete the arena at level 2, this is why when you're at level 25 the common bandit has DEADRIC OR GLASS ARMOR but still want to mug for your 25 gold... :rolleyes:

You'd think at level 40, there should be characters that you'll absolutely annihilate. Or if you're at level 1 and walk into the arena, you'll get your ass handed to you. They ditched the ways of Morrowind and stepped backward with this leveling system. Bad Bethesda... the only way us PC guys can get around it is by modding it (will take a long long time) or by slowing the leveling system so that it takes a while to reach higher levels (our temporary solution).

Wouldn't it just be easier to up the difficulty tab in the options? That might have an effect? :confused:

ShadedNine
04-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't it just be easier to up the difficulty tab in the options? That might have an effect? :confused:

I can make a difference, but you still have the immersion breaking aspect of bandits in daedric armor, along with the trivialization of gold that comes with picking up daedric drops everywhere.

There's an early build of a mod out that's redone the loot tables though. Seems it won't take long for the community to fix the game up good & proper. Some of the work so far is simply incredible.

nesgamingcom
04-02-2006, 04:47 AM
is this game going to be able to have a download for the 360 version for like bugs, patches etc?

SPARTAN VI
04-02-2006, 05:22 AM
is this game going to be able to have a download for the 360 version for like bugs, patches etc?

Maybe one or two official patches. Mods? Hah! Most definitely not. Arguably THE reason to get it for PC.

Emphasis on -My- PC.

The real high-def gameplay is at 1600 x 1400.

You mean 1600x1200? ;)

I'm on a Dell 2005FPW, so HDR + 1680x1050. Blows the Xbox360 version out of the water. especially after some visual tweaks I've done. Tends to slow down when loading new areas, but my single 7900GT holds up well.

Common misconception. The examples I gave had nothing to do with difficulty, but rather the realism. Doesn't make any sense for a player at level 2 to dominate the arena, take a handful of vamps, and get mugged by a wealthy bandit. It's odd how you can enter a cave and have reasonable trouble with, let's say, an ogre. Leave, level up 10 times, come back to that cave later and that ogre has the same chance of killing you. :confused:

I've tried some static level NPC mods, but combined with the slow leveling mod, the NPCs and enemies are much too tough now. I'll have to stick with level scaling until a better solution is formulated.

swivel
04-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Common misconception. The examples I gave had nothing to do with difficulty, but rather the realism. Doesn't make any sense for a player at level 2 to dominate the arena, take a handful of vamps, and get mugged by a wealthy bandit. It's odd how you can entire a cave and have reasonable trouble with, let's say, an ogre. Leave, level up 10 times, come back to that cave later and that ogre has the same chance of killing you. :confused:

I've tried some static level NPC mods, but combined with the slow leveling mod, the NPCs and enemies are much too tough now. I'll have to stick with level scaling until a better solution is formulated.

I agree with all of your points, Spartan... and I look forward to playing through this game with a heap of mods one day. Right now, I'm enjoying it as much as I can, but it was really odd beating the arena at a low level. Someone should do an entire mod of the arena, and add tons of more fights, and more subquests. Perhaps put in a minimum level limit for certain fighting levels, like the Daedra Shrine quests.

I love this game to death, more than any since Privateer, but I wish it had the leveling system of Gothic 2, where you couldn't travel in most areas in the beginning. It was even more severe in this regard than Morrowind. One of the great feelings of Gothic 2 was getting big enough to kill that monster on the path, and explore that lake area that has been tempting you from the hilltops, but you just couldn't ever go there before. With Oblivion, I felt immediately like I was the ruler of the universe, even with the difficulty slider up past normal.

It feels odd to gripe about a game this great, but there it is... I'll keep loving the game, and I know the required mods are on the way. This will be the most heavily modded game since Quake II and Neverwinter Nights. And I'm sure we can expect at least two massive add-ons from Bethesda themselves.

Now I need to get back to my level 40 Smithy....

ShadedNine
04-02-2006, 10:13 PM
It feels odd to gripe about a game this great, but there it is... I'll keep loving the game, and I know the required mods are on the way. This will be the most heavily modded game since Quake II and Neverwinter Nights. And I'm sure we can expect at least two massive add-ons from Bethesda themselves.

Actually, I would wager a guess that Oblivion will probably become the most heavily modded game to date, or at least most professionally+heavily modded game to date. With the tools available, it will prove quite possible for players to completely model out every single province of Tamriel with the same level of detail as Cyrodill. We might not see a lot of new terrains and stuff coming out of the modding community, but I'm assuming that the official expansions will take care of 2 or more of the surrounding provinces.

My guess is that Morrowind becomes the first of the provinces modeled out by modders.

In fact, if you turn off the barriers that stop you from attempting to explore the other provinces, several of them are surprisingly detailed and thorough for a good distance across the border. It would seem they created much of the world before deciding exactly where to draw the lines.

SPARTAN VI
04-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Wow. The Xbox360 version has an update available. Before the PC guys. *golf clap*

ShadedNine
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow. The Xbox360 version has an update available. Before the PC guys. *golf clap*

I doubt we'll ever get that update, given that 360 owners have to pay for it. At least not without an official expansion pack.

However, I've little doubt that it will take long for the modders to remodel and duplicate it almost exactly if not better :P

TheCovenant
04-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Ive never heard that forum expression before.....:rofl: !!!

swivel
04-04-2006, 06:31 AM

Are you talking about the horse armor? If so, that is very cool stuff. I personally don't ride a horse because I like to keep my guy in shape, and level up two of my minor skills in the process, but the armor does look great. I can't believe it costs money, though.

If you want to be competitive with the PC guys, be careful. While you got horse armor, people online are fixing the anoying turn rate of the horses, and it won't be long before you are hunting from the saddle. An entire texture pack has been created for the game that makes the distant textures look much better, and improved water means you can actually see where you are swimming. The entire Vampire model has been restructured, to follow the Hollywood version of getting stronger when you feed, rather than the antithesis you have now, and these improvements keep rolling out daily.

And they are all optional. Nobody is telling you what to fix or install... if anything. You make the game what you want. Last time I checked, there was already at least 6 alternate versions of the leveling up system. And people are already teaming up to create the big expansions, like a tunnel system full of goblins gone mad, with some non-violent sane goblin NPCS to interact with and even rescue. Hopefully people will start making more Guild Quests to complete once you have topped out your progression in each guild. I have no doubt they are working on that right now.

I'm really glad the XBox got this wonderful game. That sector of the console crowd has really needed an RPG of the classic sort. Hopefully this will get them hooked, and the sales numbers will show the suits that more RPG's need to be made, and -now-! But there is still no comparison between the console RPG experience, and the PC, where these games were invented. The controls are superior, the graphics scale upwards, and look at the content created by the fans, compared to the money-making scheme set up by MS and the Devs. I applaud the XBox-Oblivion union, but I think if you guys start drawing up comparisons with the PC, you won't come out clean.

SPARTAN VI
04-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Are you talking about the horse armor? If so, that is very cool stuff. I personally don't ride a horse because I like to keep my guy in shape, and level up two of my minor skills in the process, but the armor does look great. I can't believe it costs money, though.

Yeah, I thought it was a patch when I first heard about it. :eek:

If you want to be competitive with the PC guys, be careful. While you got horse armor, people online are fixing the anoying turn rate of the horses, and it won't be long before you are hunting from the saddle. An entire texture pack has been created for the game that makes the distant textures look much better, and improved water means you can actually see where you are swimming. The entire Vampire model has been restructured, to follow the Hollywood version of getting stronger when you feed, rather than the antithesis you have now, and these improvements keep rolling out daily.

Exactly, the mod community is just bustling with activity. I have just under 20 mods working in the game to make it that much better. None of which change the game significantly, just tweaks here and there like you described. I didn't like the reverse vampirism mod, I mean, it makes sense.. but I didn't want to risk messing with the vampirism stuff. Some have messed up their game doing so. I do have a vampirism mod that keeps me looking young and doesn't mess with my facial structure until after I start to starve and get real ugly.

The "no soup for you" mod, the one that gets rid of that "soupy" distant textures... rocks faces. It comes at no performance hit and drastically improves IQ. It seems the devs catered to the Xbox360 capabilities there.. The Xbox360, as we know, doesn't show off its texture filtering capability. On higher definition displays, every game I've seen for the X360 has zero texture filtering. Thus, soupy textures are fine, as the distant textures will be soupy anyway without texture filtering. PC fellas on the other hand, with that aforementioned tweak, can jack up their anisotropic filtering to 16x and get results. If find this odd as the X360's graphical unit, the designated R500, is an ATi chip. ATi rocks at texture filtering! Why the hell did MS go with ATi if they're not even going to take advantage of ANY of it's capabilities?! No angular dependant anistropic filtering (or AFHQ), no adaptive antialiasing (free AA? what a gimmick). Boo..

And they are all optional. Nobody is telling you what to fix or install... if anything. You make the game what you want. Last time I checked, there was already at least 6 alternate versions of the leveling up system. And people are already teaming up to create the big expansions, like a tunnel system full of goblins gone mad, with some non-violent sane goblin NPCS to interact with and even rescue. Hopefully people will start making more Guild Quests to complete once you have topped out your progression in each guild. I have no doubt they are working on that right now.

Correcto! I'm using Vehem's leveling mod. Raises the stats that are associated with skills, don't need to rest in a bed to level up.. hell... the level up screen is completely gone. You play the game to your needs now, not your stats. It really makes minor skills accessable again.

I'm really glad the XBox got this wonderful game. That sector of the console crowd has really needed an RPG of the classic sort. Hopefully this will get them hooked, and the sales numbers will show the suits that more RPG's need to be made, and -now-! But there is still no comparison between the console RPG experience, and the PC, where these games were invented. The controls are superior, the graphics scale upwards, and look at the content created by the fans, compared to the money-making scheme set up by MS and the Devs. I applaud the XBox-Oblivion union, but I think if you guys start drawing up comparisons with the PC, you won't come out clean.

I'm glad the X360 got the game, too. Now my friends don't need uber gaming rigs to enjoy what I enjoy!

swivel
04-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Great replies Spartan ^^^^ I dig your style.

SPARTAN VI
04-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Great replies Spartan ^^^^ I dig your style.

I dig you too, broseph! :hump: