PDA

View Full Version : Xbox sells half of its japanese shipment

StudioAlex
02-25-2002, 01:58 PM
Yep, according to gamespot anyway. While many people will no doubt paint this as a failure, I think moving 125K units in a single weekend is pretty impressive. I expect that it will take longer to court the japanese gaming pop, but I suspect that game enthusiasts were the ones who showed up this weekend, and those are the first on microsoft's list of future subjugates.

So what do you guys think? Was this a failure? A success? About what you'd expect?

l Maximus l
02-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Not too shabby for one weekend :D

SnOoPy
02-25-2002, 02:04 PM
I think that pretty good for the first weekend, do you have a link so i culd read the article?

Thanx for the info:)

StudioAlex
02-25-2002, 02:07 PM
uhhh, www.gamespot.com

sorry, I'm not so developed in the use of these computer things. It's the headline in their video game section.

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by SnOoPy
I think that pretty good for the first weekend, do you have a link so i culd read the article?

Thanx for the info:) I don't know what to say about this. GCN sold around 300k on launch day there, yet they didn't sell much more than that over the next month or so....But then again, all GCN had was LM, Monkey Ball, and WaveRace...and Xbox has...um...DOA3LE, and...DOA3LE...

I say it's alot better than most Japanese analysts were expecting, although I thought Xbox would at least sell out all the Limited Edition units, considering the MASSIVE amounts of advertising they did up to launch there...

Now Xbox has to play catchup with GameCube in Japan (1.8 million). Which isn't really a factor since GameCube will have to play catchup with Xbox in Europe since it launches a full two months later in May. Who will dominate in Japan? Who will dominate in US? Who will dominate in Europe?

Answer: PS2.:(

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

mattcoxonline
02-25-2002, 02:16 PM
I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.... :D

SnOoPy
02-25-2002, 02:18 PM
Now Xbox has to play catchup with GameCube in Japan (1.8 million). Which isn't really a factor since GameCube will have to play catchup with Xbox in Europe since it launches a full two months later in May. Who will dominate in Japan? Who will dominate in US? Who will dominate in Europe?

True True, I think US XBox has it lock but we'll have to wait till the summer, I'm waiting till then to buy my gamecube & maybe alot other are doing the same. Europe, Hmmm... I'm going for XBox. Japan will be difficult to pass Nintendo #2 spot but its possible. Maybe in 1 year... :cool:

StudioAlex
02-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Japan: Sony, easily

Europe: Sadly, Sony, but Microsoft has a solid shot

US: Well, sony rules now, but I think that the picture will be very different a year and one half for now.

I think the basis of Microsoft dominating will be based off of their exploiting its online capabilities. Is anyone sure FF online will succeed on PS2? Considering it will cost about three hundred to play the game when factor in the cost the modem, hard drive, broad band connectivity, whatever the monthly charge for the game is, and the cost of the game itself, it seems that it would be a much better fit on the box. Microsoft is pushing the online aspect, for obvious reasons.

SnOoPy
02-25-2002, 02:27 PM
Is anyone sure FF online will succeed on PS2?

From the people I know they said there not gonna spent the extra money for a harddrive just to play it online. And won't buy FF11 not cause you have to play online but just cause you have to pay a monthly fee. Shouldn't it be if you buy the game you play it for free? You bought it, why pay a monthly fee on a game you bought... It like you bought it and renting it in the sametime.

StudioAlex
02-25-2002, 02:30 PM
I definately think it should be one or the other (flat price for the game or a monthly fee). They should give three or six months free if you buy it up front or give you the game free if you have to subscribe to the service.

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 02:50 PM
Finally!!! A rational debate emerges...

I personally think Xbox's online workings will be what pushes this thing mainstream. That's when PS2's online will get better (hopefully), and GCN's will finally turn up. Everyone will trust the Xbox first, since everyone has a ethernet jack, and work with it very much like SegaNet did Dreamcast, minus the bad sales figures.

MS may release a flat rate, and it is most definate that Nintendo will (that's what they did for Randnet). As for Sony, well, they can go either way. Pay for the HD/modem combo, and flat rate, or pick it up for free as long as you commit to a 1 year Sony network contract...the latter would most definately be the moneymaker, as this is how cellphone companies do this- and it works. Xbox only needs the games and a network charge, and GameCube needs that plus 30-50 bucks for the ethernet adapter.

Needless to say, things could get very interesting when PS2 goes online. That's when all the cards jump out of everyone's deck...

RudedogX
02-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by mattcoxonline
I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so.... :D

*rudedogx gets up, walks over to mattcox*

slap!

Thanks! I can't get that freakin' song outta my head now!

Snoopy7548
02-25-2002, 06:49 PM
even if the xbox didnt do so good in japan, u gotta cut it some slack. i mean its an american console, japanese gamers usually buy consoles made in japan. an american console is like new to the japanese gamers and theyre probly not sure whether it will be good or not, they usually stick to what theyre used to, which are consoles from sony and nintendo.

Shadow Fox
02-26-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
even if the xbox didnt do so good in japan, u gotta cut it some slack. i mean its an american console, japanese gamers usually buy consoles made in japan. an american console is like new to the japanese gamers and theyre probly not sure whether it will be good or not, they usually stick to what theyre used to, which are consoles from sony and nintendo. Exactly, Snoop- although I still thought MS would've at least sold out their LE Xbox units...:confused:

StudioAlex
02-26-2002, 01:31 PM
even if the xbox didnt do so good in japan, u gotta cut it some slack. i mean its an american console, japanese gamers usually buy consoles made in japan. an american console is like new to the japanese gamers and theyre probly not sure whether it will be good or not, they usually stick to what theyre used to, which are consoles from sony and nintendo.

Trust me, the japanese gaming population is just as shallow and fickle as the north american. They stick to what the other masses stick to. Japan is more conformist, I'm sorry, group centered, than america. If MS can make it "cool", they will come. The good news is that the japanese enthusiast bloc appears to be excited about the box.

batman46st
02-26-2002, 02:12 PM

Japs and chinees alwas stick to their stuff so hey they sold that much over there kicka$$ shoot i expected way little. In the future americas (xbox) will overcome.........:) USA USA USA! AND CANADA RULES TOO.....<~canada friendly.lol:cool: