PDA

View Full Version : 2 things that will kill the X Box...

SmileBit
02-24-2002, 09:49 PM
Is it just me or is this "X Box" becoming another Dreamcast?

1.) The X Box is almost bombing in Japan. Hardware is selling a little less than expected and any titles other than DOA3 isnt beeing touched. This was pretty much expected. Developers will notice. Europe is another thing. Europe has been known to purchase consoles based on price and Gamecube is literally HALF the price of X Box. Only hardcore gamers will pick it up. Looks like America is the only place X Box will "survive" and with 1 market how long will it last?

2.) Every new game announcment has been announced for the hardcore gamer. Shenmu 2, Project Ego, Jet Set Future ect... We all know while these game may rock they lack the popularity of say Mario, Zelda, Gran turism and Final Fantasy. They simply will not sell as well. Developers will notice.

Now this is all speculation but unless this Mays E3 is great for X Box dont expect it to last much longer than the DC.

Romo28
02-24-2002, 10:00 PM
Dude... Where are you getting your info?

Xbox did very well in the Japan release. In fact SONY evel feels threatened. And what do you mean by hardcore gamer Dont hardcore gamers play mario and link? And nont non-harcore gamers play like every xbox game?

If you know something I dont, post a url.

SmileBit
02-24-2002, 10:07 PM
X Box has nearly bombed in Japan. Wait for tomarrow and youll see.

The difference between Mario and alot of X Box games is that EVERYONE plays Mario. I dont think that can be said for games like Marrowind and Unreal Championship ect.

Frostberg
02-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by SmileBit

1.) The X Box is almost bombing in Japan. Hardware is selling a little less than expected and any titles other than DOA3 isnt beeing touched. This was pretty much expected. Developers will notice. Europe is another thing. Europe has been known to purchase consoles based on price and Gamecube is literally HALF the price of X Box. Only hardcore gamers will pick it up. Looks like America is the only place X Box will "survive" and with 1 market how long will it last?

2.) Every new game announcment has been announced for the hardcore gamer. Shenmu 2, Project Ego, Jet Set Future ect... We all know while these game may rock they lack the popularity of say Mario, Zelda, Gran turism and Final Fantasy. They simply will not sell as well. Developers will notice.

Now this is all speculation but unless this Mays E3 is great for X Box dont expect it to last much longer than the DC.

1. Umm I think you might be thinking about the GC...and besides, even if it NEVER got released in amywhere but america it can survive...plenty of things are only sold in certain parts of the world and hte companies do fine...

2. Your a dumbass, what? Final Fantasy is a pretty hardcore game to me! It takes a helluva long time to finish...and most people willing to invest $300 for an xbox are hardcore gamers...if not, the only thing a caqsual gamer does is not play as much, but that doesnt mean they wont buy PE...even the casual gamer loves Halo....

Frostberg
02-24-2002, 10:12 PM
X Box has nearly bombed in Japan. Wait for tomarrow and youll see.

The difference between Mario and alot of X Box games is that EVERYONE plays Mario. I dont think that can be said for games like Marrowind and Unreal Championship ect.

Oh the gamecube did so well! I saw a pretty large amount of people lined up at the launch party there...you are obviously a Nintendo fanboy because you know nothing about the xbox. First off, you cant even spell the games that are coming out...I guess you didnt know that the first 2 games in the Elder Scroll series were all on the PC, as well as Mirrorwind will be...but the developers are smart enough to make it for the Xbox as well...and Unreal Championship is just another game in the Unreal series, which was EXTREMELY popular

Yeah everyone plays mario, if it was 1990...now were playing Halo!

SmileBit
02-24-2002, 10:19 PM
Its true Gamecube did less than steller at launch but look at it now. Hardware is selling well but software is selling mad. Overall GC is doing pretty decent in Japan. Just wait for this summer when Nintendo releases its god like franchises. One thing that X Box does not have is a killer Japanese aplication that will make Japanese gamers go out and buy an X Box.

Oh and no console has ever survived in one market alone. 2 markets is a necessity.

Unreal is popular for PC gamers. Console gamers havent really heard about it though.

Whisper
02-24-2002, 10:22 PM
yeah... uh-huh, game cube is doing well, thats why its on all my kraft dinner boxes :rolleyes:

isnt that where everything goes, RIGHT BEFORE IT DIES

JADE8704
02-24-2002, 10:25 PM
how come every time there is a "xbox will probably fail" or "will xbox end up like the dreamcast" thread, the person that started it only has 10-15 posts?? hmm...something fishy is going on here :confused: .....

DIGITAL
02-24-2002, 10:25 PM
you are smoking crack,xbox is going to blow up very soon ,once more devoplers in japan see its power an make games to its power:cool:

SmileBit
02-24-2002, 10:32 PM
2 things:

To look at a consoles success I dont look at Kraft Mac and Chees Boxes I look at total worldwide sales. Gamecube is dooing very well.

Developers only see 2 things: Ease of development and Console sales. Gamecubes looking bright.

Frostberg
02-24-2002, 10:35 PM
Its true Gamecube did less than steller at launch but look at it now. Hardware is selling well but software is selling mad. Overall GC is doing pretty decent in Japan. Just wait for this summer when Nintendo releases its god like franchises. One thing that X Box does not have is a killer Japanese aplication that will make Japanese gamers go out and buy an X Box.

Oh and no console has ever survived in one market alone. 2 markets is a necessity.

Unreal is popular for PC gamers. Console gamers havent really heard about it though.

Ok and the killer GC launch title was???? Once they play Halo they will be sold...you say wait for the summer...so if Nintendo has til the summer, shouldnt the Xbox have til then too, fanboy?

Oooo no console has ever survived....that means a lot...2 markets, like it is a big difference from people....Japan just intruduces more sales...it will still sell fine there, thats all that matters...

Hmm I think that the majority of console gamers are PC gamers...or at least know of PC games...I guess Unreal Torrnament wasnt on the DC...of wait it was!!

Frostberg
02-24-2002, 10:39 PM
2 things:

To look at a consoles success I dont look at Kraft Mac and Chees Boxes I look at total worldwide sales. Gamecube is dooing very well.

Developers only see 2 things: Ease of development and Console sales. Gamecubes looking bright.

yeah thats about how a little fanboy would say it...

I guess you cant look at "total worldwide success" when the Xbox isint out to half of the world yet!

Ok there are like 350 games in DEVELOPMENT for the Xbox...ok they have made their commitments a long time ago because they knew with the best hardware out there it cant go wrong. Xbox is pretty easy to develop to, not any harder than any other console...console sales...a little too early now, and it takes a long time to develop a game, so they arent going to wait 2 years to see which one will win, they are interested in money, and if they can get their games on the more consoles, the better...but smart ones know that only the xbox can show the best game...

Frostberg
02-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by JADE8704
how come every time there is a "xbox will probably fail" or "will xbox end up like the dreamcast" thread, the person that started it only has 10-15 posts?? hmm...something fishy is going on here :confused: .....

Thats because silly fanboys wander in here to dis our system and then they eventually how no one cares and they leave. We all know that he has bogus info with no factual information and gives excuses (wait til the summer)....its like he thinks it will make us buy a GC or make us feel bad or something....too bad I cant think of one killer GC game out fight now, but I can think of a few XBox games...as well as the future is more bright for the XBox than the GC

Azazel
02-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Why do you guys bother arguing with these kids?

All they want is for everyone to jump in and defend the xbox to start a big argument!

I feel very comfortable with my xbox purchase and have no need to defend it against kids that dont even have correct facts in their posts.:)

thunderkiss2k1
02-24-2002, 10:46 PM
The link you requested , nintendo boy, uh, I mean Smilebit is: www.totalgames.net

Look in the news section.

Frostberg
02-24-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ty818
Why do you guys bother arguing with these kids?

All they want is for everyone to jump in and defend the xbox to start a big argument!

I feel very comfortable with my xbox purchase and have no need to defend it against kids that dont even have correct facts in their posts.:)

Well its fun to see the crazy Nintendo kid with no knowlege about the Xbox trying to come up with good comebacks...Its like they organize Xbox forum attacks...I dont think any of us here would go over to a GC forum and be like
"XBOX 0wNzz J00 GC SuX, DA GamECrAP hAd a tErRiBlE AnArtiCa lAunCH!"

Shadow Fox
02-24-2002, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg

Oh the gamecube did so well! I saw a pretty large amount of people lined up at the launch party there...Actually, Xbox had roughly the same launch line size as GCN did back in September, with just Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, and Wave Race as the ONLY titles....hmm...:rolleyes:

For some reason, JSRF wasn't accepted well in the homeland (though I think it's a killer game), as it went almost untouched the first two days in Japan this weekend...

Check up in IGN.com or Gamespot- they'll tell you the (not so good) news...:(

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

doctorrevill
02-25-2002, 12:30 AM
First off, Microsoft's introduction of the Xbox into the market is simply a way to keep Sony from owning the market, and from getting a hold of high end entertainment products. This is a starting point that Microsoft plans to use to dominate home related products, like coffee makers, intelligent washing machines, microwaves, and dishwashers. (things that literally EVERYONE has in their homes.) (See WinCE popping up everywhere) It all starts with "branding". They have to get a product on the market that people will associate with quality. They also feel that with a superior product they can make a heck of a lot of money along the way. Sony already has worldwide distribution channels, into many markets where, despite Microsoft's size, they are an almost complete unknown. Again the Xbox is the first product in a line that should be found all over the place in the near future. Making crappy Operating Systems can't keep you rich forever, since OS's will eventually go by the wasteside someday. Then where will Microsoft's market be?

Furthermore Microsoft is going to have to become a major content provider. Sony already has this with its ownership of Tri-Star and Columbia Pictures and many many other sources of content. Meanwhile Microsoft has been buying into Cable providers all over the world. Not the whole thing mind you, just a controlling interest. This is brilliant stategy. While Sony tries to make money owning the store and selling warez, Microsoft rents and sells warez. Big difference there. Microsoft can sell its stuff to many more people because they are not tied to a brand. (ie. you find Microsoft stuff in Compaq's, HP's, Sony's etc.) Its the old free razor, sell the razor blades strategy. They don't make the computers, they sell the stuff that makes them work.

Now with the Xbox they have reversed their strategy to a certain degree. They still have someone else own the store and the manufacturing, but they sell their identity with the product, just like Sony does. But they try to shaft someone else if the production is too expensive buy contracting 3rd party manufacturers to build the Xbox's and setting a price that is paid for each box made. This caps runaway expenses. Sony doesn't have this advantage. They make the PS2 in Sony factories. Look at how this eventually killed SEGA. This system is another good strategy.

Now as for who is going to win this console war? Well I bet in Microsoft, not to come out on top, but to produce the best piece of software in each genre. I feel this is already true. All games that are available on the PS2 and the Xbox invariably look better and play better on the Xbox. So Microsoft is already winning. For my sake I would rather have the very best racing game than 10 games that aren't nearly as good, and isn't that what we've already seen with the PS2? What about the 'Cube? Well it certainly has the price point beat, and it will sell really well because of it, but without some ADULT games to play its not gonna be as popular with that vital 17-25 group. College kids buy more games than 10 year olds. That's a fact. And that 17+ group is right where Xbox and PS2 try to sell their games to.

I believe software makers are going to make a big shift this year. Now that software companies know they can sell a hell of a lot of software on the Xbox, something they haven't really known until now, developers are developing first for Xbox, then porting to PS2 and maybe Cube. Eventually this will create an environment where Xbox gets games first, with better graphics and features. From a developers point of view its hard to ignore the installed PS2 base, but its just as dumb to not make a game that takes full advantage of the Xbox's clearly superior hardware, and then just dumb the game down so it can work on the PS2. Nuff Said.

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by doctorrevill
I believe software makers are going to make a big shift this year. Now that software companies know they can sell a hell of a lot of software on the Xbox, something they haven't really known until now, developers are developing first for Xbox, then porting to PS2 and maybe Cube. Eventually this will create an environment where Xbox gets games first, with better graphics and features. From a developers point of view its hard to ignore the installed PS2 base, but its just as dumb to not make a game that takes full advantage of the Xbox's clearly superior hardware, and then just dumb the game down so it can work on the PS2. Nuff Said. And this, ladies and gents, was also said when the Saturn, 3D0, Jaguar, and DC launched...

Point is, it's dumb not to make a game that takes full advantage of a console, yet developers have been doing it since launch day and will continue to do it thru 2003. Why? Because until Xbox sells some 23 million units more to catch up with PS2, it won't be the "preferred" console amongst developers. User base+software for user base=sales. PS2 has enough user base now to not worry about Xbox for another year or so as far as retail competition is concerned. But both Xbox AND GameCube- now THAT is fierce competition, and PS2 is still holding up, which really boggles me...:confused:

doctorrevill
02-25-2002, 01:03 AM
You are right, the same sorts of things were said about the Saturn et al. However we have already heard developers SAYING that they were developing for the Xbox first. See EA and its entire Sports lineup, as well as Sega. So only a few months into the XBOX life cycle the shift has occured. You made a good point though.

J Dub
02-25-2002, 01:09 AM

Europe has been known to purchase consoles based on price and Gamecube is literally HALF the price of X Box.

Gamecube is only half the price for one reason. Because you get half of what the XBOX gives you. XBOX has a hard drive, Gamecube does not. XBOX is much more powerful than that Gamecube.

In fact, you are very wrong. XBOX did extremely well in the Japan launch. Your facts are complete biased and untrue.

And it is my opinion that if any console is going to fail out of the XBOX, PS2, and Gamecube......it will be the Gamecube.

LynxFX
02-25-2002, 01:38 AM
Just look forward to seeing the Xbox dominate alot of the attention at this years E3.

Microsoft isn't a company that will just make a product, put it out and see what transpires. No, they will keep pushing it on the public until they know down right everything that it has to offer. Japan is just one market out of dozens. There is a larger untapped gaming world in the US alone that Microsoft is definately targetting.

Whisper
02-25-2002, 05:25 AM
well, the subject of the thread is right... the XBOX will end... someday, here are 2 possible outcomes

1) A large meteor the size of Jupiter strikes Earth and all is destroyed, no Earth is left ...

2) Can't think of another thing, maybe the only way to destroy the XBOX is world destruction... XBOX forever:cool:

batman46st
02-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Actually, Xbox had roughly the same launch line size as GCN did back in September, with just Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, and Wave Race as the ONLY titles....hmm...:rolleyes:

For some reason, JSRF wasn't accepted well in the homeland (though I think it's a killer game), as it went almost untouched the first two days in Japan this weekend...

Check up in IGN.com or Gamespot- they'll tell you the (not so good) news...:(

I wouldnt trust gamespot or ign.com for nothing ign has given me in the past the biggest pile of c-r-a-p its not even funny and gamespot is own by zdnet who is a company that makes mags for ps2 yeah i'll trust them. You know wati likethe xbox sites always accurate wih releases and info. As to the newbie who wants beef with us show us a website to back up your info u know one that u wouldnt create just to "upset" us.. As for me watch when the killer titles come out gamecube(stonecold wat!) ps2 is scared. Yah im scared about my xbox going down riiiiiiiiiiight:cool:

gula
02-25-2002, 09:49 AM
What, because the GameCube isn't doing good in Japan, then every little GameCube fan has to come here and bash the XBox?

Do you see me being immature and going to your little stupid GameCube forums and saying GameCube will die? No

SO EVERY GAMECUBE FAN, JUST SHUT THE **** UP!

I HAVE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOUR IGNORANCE!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JJaX
02-25-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
well, the subject of the thread is right... the XBOX will end... someday, here are 2 possible outcomes

1) A large meteor the size of Jupiter strikes Earth and all is destroyed, no Earth is left ...

A meteor the size of Jupiter wouldnt really strike the earth. It would probaly disintegrate earth as it plowed through. Kinda like a bug running into a jumbo jet. :D

Ninja Scroll
02-25-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg

1. Umm I think you might be thinking about the GC...and besides, even if it NEVER got released in amywhere but america it can survive...plenty of things are only sold in certain parts of the world and hte companies do fine...

2. Your a dumbass, what? Final Fantasy is a pretty hardcore game to me! It takes a helluva long time to finish...and most people willing to invest $300 for an xbox are hardcore gamers...if not, the only thing a caqsual gamer does is not play as much, but that doesnt mean they wont buy PE...even the casual gamer loves Halo....

You took the words right out of my mouth frosty. Well written post bro!;)

Ninja Scroll
02-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by wwfraven2k
yeah... uh-huh, game cube is doing well, thats why its on all my kraft dinner boxes :rolleyes:

isnt that where everything goes, RIGHT BEFORE IT DIES

LMAO!!:D !!! kraft diiiiinnner boxeeeeess......... drooooooooooling:p :p :p

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by gula
What, because the GameCube isn't doing good in Japan, then every little GameCube fan has to come here and bash the XBox?

Do you see me being immature and going to your little stupid GameCube forums and saying GameCube will die? No...*bash* *bash*Actually, gula, GameCube is doing ALOT better in Japan now; Smash DX was GameCube's Halo- it outsold MGS2 in two weeks there, and is still going strong towards the 2 million software units mark. What WAS said was that Xbox is selling there as much as GameCube WAS back in September, which isn't all that bad, but nothing to brag about either. Needless to say, Xbox isn't outselling any other console in Japan now (except DC).

And to docevil, I wouldn't count EA and Sega as two developers working on Xbox first, especially since they are doing the same thing for other consoles (Madden will be first on PS2, Fifa/Triple Play will be on GCN first, Phantasy Star Online will be on GCN first, VF4 is PS2 exclusive). For right now (other than Capcom and Tecmo), every other 3rd party devvers first priority is either PS2 or PC.

l Maximus l
02-25-2002, 11:37 AM
Okay...let's try doing this with your LameCube:

1. Save a game to it's hard-drive - WHOOPS! Doesn't have one!
2. Rip your own music to it's hard-drive so you can listen to your own personal CD collection while playing your games - WHOOPS! Doesn't have one!
3. Play a DVD movie on it - WHOOPS! You can't because it only plays discs the size of eye contacts!
4. Try linking multiple GameCubes together for maximum multi-player action - WHOOPS! Can't do that either!
5. Gotta try that Gamecube on-line!! - WHOOPS! Can't do that either!
6. I bet that you can't wait to play with more than two players on your GameCube - WHOOPS! Only two controller ports!!

It looks like you are just stuck with Barbie's easy bake oven! Have fun! :)

darianX
02-25-2002, 11:41 AM
Has anyone noticed that little ol Smilebit hasn't said anything for quite a number of posts? He did his job, flamebaiting. Let's let this thread die......

JJaX
02-25-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

It looks like you are just stuck with Barbie's easy bake oven! Have fun! :)

There nothing wrong with owning the Barbie easy bake oven!

Is there? Cause i mean i use it a lot and stuff. You guys should try my Charmander Pie!

Rock2
02-25-2002, 11:46 AM
Xbox is the future! That is all I have to say

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Okay...let's try doing this with your LameCube:

1. Save a game to it's hard-drive - WHOOPS! Doesn't have one! It's called an SD card, that support .mp3 streaming. Xbox does not.

2. Rip your own music to it's hard-drive so you can listen to your own personal CD collection while playing your games - WHOOPS! Doesn't have one!read above.

3. Play a DVD movie on it - WHOOPS! You can't because it only plays discs the size of eye contacts!Panosonic Q. Plays ALL region DVD's, japanese and american GCN games.

4. Try linking multiple GameCubes together for maximum multi-player action - WHOOPS! Can't do that either!High-speed serial port. Try going to an arcade to play SCII, save it to GBA, then play on your Xbox. Only possible with GameCube.

5. Gotta try that Gamecube on-line!! - WHOOPS! Can't do that either!The only peeps that have even come close to online gaming is PS2. Microsoft nor Nintendo have announced online plans yet. And no, gamespy doesn't count- THPS3 was online 3 months before Xbox was released if you want to count "unofficial online games".

6. I bet that you can't wait to play with more than two players on your GameCube - WHOOPS! Only two controller ports!!I thought you worked with GameCube's "sucky controllers" everyday. If you did, you'd know there are FOUR controller ports. Needless to say you just lied here.
It looks like you are just stuck with Barbie's easy bake oven! Have fun! :) Barbie has an easy bake oven?? Easy bake ovens come in black, orange, green, push more polygons than current Xbox games, and play 8cm DVD's? That's very strange- I'll have to pick one of those up...:rolleyes:

SmileBit
02-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by darianX
Has anyone noticed that little ol Smilebit hasn't said anything for quite a number of posts? He did his job, flamebaiting. Let's let this thread die......

Oh I am coming back. Im not replying because im in school right now.

2 things for the moment.

I wont argue: X Box is superior to Gamecube in hardware. Its a fact but how much more powerful wont be known for some time.

Gamecube has games that the mass Market will purchas in large quantitys. X Box has pretty much no large exclusive console game that appeals to everyone. Project Ego may be good but unless MS hypes it heavily it wont sell 1/3rd of Mario Sunshine sales.

Wait for E3 then wait for summer.

robnyack
02-25-2002, 12:20 PM
why argue with a GC snot nosed kid? The parental units prolly bought it for him.

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by robnyack
why argue with a GC snot nosed kid? The parental units prolly bought it for him. Sadly, this is probably Smilebit's case. But he does have a point; what counters will Xbox have when Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 0, Mario Sunshine, Wrestlemania X8, and Star Fox Adventures ship? Hopefully Malice or Morrowind would have been out by then, but as of now the only other potential blockbuster is Project Ego, which is bound to get lost in the MK5/Soul Calibur II mix come September...

I dunno anymore, and frankly I don't care- I just want my Zelda, Malice, and Wrestlemania, d@mmnit!!!

RudedogX
02-25-2002, 12:29 PM
3. Play a DVD movie on it - WHOOPS! You can't because it only plays discs the size of eye contacts!
Panosonic Q. Plays ALL region DVD's, japanese and american GCN games.
Umm...as I recall you yourself admitted that this little piece of equipment is a 100 (or more) more expensive than the xbox itself and is NOT being made available on the US market.

5. Gotta try that Gamecube on-line!! - WHOOPS! Can't do that either!

The only peeps that have even come close to online gaming is PS2. Microsoft nor Nintendo have announced online plans yet. And no, gamespy doesn't count- THPS3 was online 3 months before Xbox was released if you want to count "unofficial online games".
If you're going to be so technical about these things as to who has had a record of trying to be online...you forget the pioneer...DREAMCAST! That's all for now.

Oh, except for smilebit...please post a link to your supposed information. If you can't bring it, don't sing it!

Ninja
02-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Sadly, this is probably Smilebit's case. But he does have a point; what counters will Xbox have when Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil 0, Mario Sunshine, Wrestlemania X8, and Star Fox Adventures ship? Hopefully Malice or Morrowind would have been out by then, but as of now the only other potential blockbuster is Project Ego, which is bound to get lost in the MK5/Soul Calibur II mix come September...

I dunno anymore, and frankly I don't care- I just want my Zelda, Malice, and Wrestlemania, d@mmnit!!!

As far as Eternal Darkness, Buffy will sell more copyes!
Buffy is XBox only too!
And there working on Buffy2!

RudedogX
02-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Ninja

As far as Eternal Darkness, Buffy will sell more copyes!
Buffy is XBox only too!
And there working on Buffy2!

As much as i'd like to believe that's the case, I'm not so sure about it! Buffy will be good, and it does have a loyal following, but eternal darkness also has a loyal following.

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX

Umm...as I recall you yourself admitted that this little piece of equipment is a 100 (or more) more expensive than the xbox itself and is NOT being made available on the US market.Lik-Sang.com. Nuff' said. No, wait- it's also at various other import outlets, and I've seen some DVD kits sold as low as 225USD (not region-free, of course).
If you're going to be so technical about these things as to who has had a record of trying to be online...you forget the pioneer...DREAMCAST!Or 64DD, or SNESCD/16-bit playstation, or Satelliview, or (console of choice) thru Xband. That's technical. But we all know I was talking about just PS2, Xbox, and GCN, right? Right.

RudedogX
02-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Lik-Sang.com. Nuff' said. No, wait- it's also at various other import outlets, and I've seen some DVD kits sold as low as 225USD (not region-free, of course).[/B]

That's all nice and everything, but it is still not available to the mass market that the basic GC or XBox is in the US. The lack of DVD capability is one of the biggest gripes I hear about the GC from the friends that I have that bought the system. Either way, the true issue of this thread is the actual performance of the XBox on the Japanese Market. So by now, we all know what both systems are capable of, if the GC is doing better now, good for it, but it still won't last for a very long time in a market dominated by stronger systems unless it hurries those well-known titles out! We all know that Nintendo is not going to do that which means that most of those games might wait till sometime next year. That alone would put Nintendo further behind the 8-ball than it already is!

Ninja
02-25-2002, 12:57 PM

As much as i'd like to believe that's the case, I'm not so sure about it! Buffy will be good, and it does have a loyal following, but eternal darkness also has a loyal following.

We get http://www.xboxaddict.com/products/logos/small/110.jpg too, it's going to sell alot of copyes too!

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 01:16 PM

That's all nice and everything, but it is still not available to the mass market that the basic GC or XBox is in the US. The lack of DVD capability is one of the biggest gripes I hear about the GC from the friends that I have that bought the system. That's what YOU hear- the point is, the GCN is selling hella better in Japan than Panosonic Q, and it would be the same way in the US. If given the CHOICE (which Microsoft and Sony have destroyed), Americans would also get a GCN as opposed to a Q, hence the millions of GCN's sold to date. This is especially true in the US, where almost every household already had a DVD player or PS2 before both console launches. Think about it.
Either way, the true issue of this thread is the actual performance of the XBox on the Japanese Market. So by now, we all know what both systems are capable of, if the GC is doing better now, good for it, but it still won't last for a very long time in a market dominated by stronger systems unless it hurries those well-known titles out! We all know that Nintendo is not going to do that which means that most of those games might wait till sometime next year. That alone would put Nintendo further behind the 8-ball than it already is! First, Xbox needs to get out more titles faster, as it's main (and only in most cases) blockbuster was halo- a title orignally not planned for the system. So what after that? More EA and Konami ports? Project Ego, Morrowind, and Malice, which I've already stated (Plus Yager and Enclave). But compared to just GCN's 2002 lineup, which has been RECONFIRMED THRICE already (RE, RE0, RE4, ED, SFA, Mario, Zelda, Metriod, Kameo, WWF X8, and Batman: Dark Tomorrow) more than double Xbox's, and can't be found anywhere else but on GameCube. Morrowind, Malice, and even Halo will be found later on either PS2 or PC/Mac. That's the truth, as hard as it is.

Right now I can only name about a dozen Xbox-only titles, and they may even end up going somewhere else. That's the problem Xbox has, regardless of it's crucial marketing skills and powerful hardware-what's it going to run? Not much compared to GCN's lineup, and wouldn't even dare comparing it to PS2's maniacal plans...

RudedogX
02-25-2002, 01:48 PM
That's what YOU hear- the point is, the GCN is selling hella better in Japan than Panosonic Q, and it would be the same way in the US. If given the CHOICE (which Microsoft and Sony have destroyed), Americans would also get a GCN as opposed to a Q, hence the millions of GCN's sold to date. This is especially true in the US, where almost every household already had a DVD player or PS2 before both console launches[/B]

Um...geez, could that have selling have anything to do with the fact that the panasonic q is made in a smaller quantity than GC? Hmmm...I wonder, as for Microsoft and Sony destroying a choice? How did they do that? Please show me, because I haven't seen any documentation that shows that Microsoft and Sony 'destroyed' the choice.

Also, if you can only count 12 games that are going to be exclusive to the XBox then you aren't really doing your research. Are all of the games that are exclusive very well known? Not necessarily, but every system has a fairly decent library of exclusive games coming to their systems (and no, I'm not going to go through the wasted breath listing off every one of the exclusive titles that have been listed numeruous times on this website). As for Malice, who gives a crap! As far as I'm concerned, all that I have seen from this game reminds me of almost every reason why I refused to by a GC. I grew out of that faze of life about 5 years ago!

And here I wondered why Maximus always got into heated conversations with you! I now realize you're just like a couple of my friends...once they get an idea in their head, there's nothing that will steer them from that path. They have to be right! When they just start throwing out meaningless dribble just to keep their side going and they have nothing meaningful to add to the argument, they finally start to look like babbling idiots (only they don't realize it). :eek: 'nuff said, i'm done on this thread.

Crazy Joe
02-25-2002, 02:08 PM
There's a lot of people that talk out of their ass, on both sides, XBOX and GameCube. I personally think XBOX is better, it does have the performance advantage over both and that's why it costs more. Gameplay wise, some of Nintendo's franchises seem a little worn (sorry but a game called Mario Sunshine doesn't really hype me up too much) and most games will be available on all 3 consoles. The fact is that the game will almost always be better on XBOX, exclusive levels, characters or even just graphically. XBOX doesn't necessarily need exclusive titles to succeed, their victory comes in having better versions of the same games. Any exclusive titles they do have are just icing as far as i'm concerned.

gula
02-25-2002, 02:25 PM
The Panasonic Q cost to import is around $450.

See, the reason I never liked Shadow Fox since day one, is because he would always stick up for the the GameCube at an XBOX MESSAGE BOARD(can you see that as$hole)(and no I don't give two *****s if you were invited into this board) Do you see me going to Nintendo Message boards spreading my XBox love?

From what I am told, GameCube didn't have a successful launch, and 3-4 months after it was launched in Japan SSBM came out.

And plus in Japan, they don't have Halo yet, so shut the hell up.

StudioAlex
02-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by gula

And plus in Japan, they don't have Halo yet, so shut the hell up.

I wonder how well Halo will do over there. Are they into FPS there? Maybe they should make a dating version to lure the japanese in. Or how about a grunt racing simulator?

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 02:31 PM

Um...geez, could that have selling have anything to do with the fact that the panasonic q is made in a smaller quantity than GC? Hmmm...I wonder, as for Microsoft and Sony destroying a choice? How did they do that? Please show me, because I haven't seen any documentation that shows that Microsoft and Sony 'destroyed' the choice. It's true- Q is in FAR LESS quantities than a GCN (by some million or so). Yet and still, the units have just recently reported their FIRST sellout, and the thing debuted in mid December.

As for Sony and Microsoft destroying that choice, they made you pay for something you probably would use if it came cheaper. If you could get an Xbox/PS2 that plays every PS2/Xbox game, but no DVD, would you buy it for $200? ALOT, and I mean ALOT of people would, including myself. And exactly how many peeps have bought an Xbox DVD remote compared to just an Xbox? Just some questions to think about...
Also, if you can only count 12 games that are going to be exclusive to the XBox then you aren't really doing your research. Are all of the games that are exclusive very well known? Not necessarily, but every system has a fairly decent library of exclusive games coming to their systems (and no, I'm not going to go through the wasted breath listing off every one of the exclusive titles that have been listed numeruous times on this website). As for Malice, who gives a crap! As far as I'm concerned, all that I have seen from this game reminds me of almost every reason why I refused to by a GC. I grew out of that faze of life about 5 years ago!Notice what I said. During what time frame? From now till Project Ego. There's not more than 12. Sure there's plenty of exclusives ranging from Fall 2k2 till 2k3, but the same thing goes for PS2 and GameCube. I've done my research. Malice, Unreal Championship, JSRF, Gun Valkyrie, Rallisport, Tekki, K-X, Yager, Enclave, and Project Ego are the only known exclusives till that time. I can't even name Morrowind and Shenmue 2, since they've been or will be on another console...

And here I wondered why Maximus always got into heated .....Read the above posts. Maximus gets into heated debates cuz he ends up bashing most of the time...Often he debates good and knows his stuff (Xboxwise, anyways), but when he bashes, you can cancel any relevant thought after that. You don't seem to have went there yet, though. Good for you.:cool:

And to gula (the hoobastank lover): you like Hoobastank's new single? I dunno....not that I listen to all that alternative stuff...I'm more of a OutKast/Metallica man myself...

Yep, I came to an Xbox board, and so did other peeps. I don't see you rushing to bash them cuz they have a GCN too, or that they're from a PS2/GCN site. Find another target.

gula
02-25-2002, 02:47 PM
And to gula (the hoobastank lover): you like Hoobastank's new single? I dunno....not that I listen to all that alternative stuff...I'm more of a OutKast/Metallica man myself... [/B]

Honestly, if Q was released in America, I would have bought it. I just love the way it looks with the little LCD screen on it and everying. :D

They have a new single? Is it Remember Me? Ehh I dont know. I am going to see them live sometime in March! Woohoo! :D

Well I'll be back later, I am heading up to D!CKS and Best Buy. (heh I had to say it like that)

RudedogX
02-25-2002, 02:51 PM
but when he bashes, you can cancel any relevant thought after that. You don't seem to have went there yet, though. Good for you.:cool:

I'm not about to start bashing, b/c there's no point, I have a favorite, and I'll stick by it, but unless I have the ammo to back up what I say I don't. Kinda like what I said earlier...if you can't bring it, don't sing it! smilebit, still waiting on that link. oh, what's that? no link...too bad. From what i've read, it sounds like xbox did better than they actually expected for the first weekend in japan!:cool:

Shadow Fox
02-25-2002, 02:56 PM

I'm not about to start bashing, b/c there's no point, I have a favorite, and I'll stick by it, but unless I have the ammo to back up what I say I don't. Kinda like what I said earlier...if you can't bring it, don't sing it! smilebit, still waiting on that link. oh, what's that? no link...too bad. From what i've read, it sounds like xbox did better than they actually expected for the first weekend in japan!:cool: They did better than what most Japanese media thought, IMO. They actually thought the thing would bomb...It didn't, but it wasn't all that, either...

I understand the favorite thing, as I prefer Tekken 4 now (Smash and Halo suck compared to this game, IMO), and until a new build of SCII shows up in the arcades, it will stay that way.

maneatingcow
02-25-2002, 03:20 PM
I have decided to close this thread... why? Because it has gotten way off topic.... but, seeing how all of you enjoy debating, you can continue this thread here (http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7512).

The folks over in the XBox vs. GCN forums are itching for some new discussion....