PDA

View Full Version : Why is the xbox bad for projection tvs

cyclaud
02-25-2002, 03:19 PM
I wouldnt think this because consoles would be at a prime on these tvs. is it the same for plasma and flat screen tvs.:confused:

JJaX
02-25-2002, 03:23 PM
Game systems tend to burn images on these projection Tvs. Just dont leave it paused and walk away for a few hours. I recall playing SNES on a big ass 72" projection and it was fine.

But now days projection TVs arent state of the art anymore. You cant get the brillant and sharp detail and color. Ive never seen a projection TV perform with a really crisp image. i could be wrong though.

xboxer2002
02-25-2002, 03:28 PM
Pausing the game can burn permanent images on the screen.Also anything still in the game such as health bars ,status bars etc.Not a good idea at all

Wu3000
02-25-2002, 03:28 PM
man video games and projection screens = waste of a big screen and alot of money.

i dont know about everyone else, but i HAD a 50 sumtin inch sony rear projection screen that my parents got me for a ver nice all A's report card.i got that in 93, the tv was awsome, not as clear or sharp as the post before says, but it was huge. im tired of typing so yeah it broke, burned in what ever. man just be care ful and yeah dont pause for anything. blah

sorry for shytty post

wu

l Maximus l
02-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Well, tomorrow will be officially one week after owning my projection TV. I have a 43" Toshiba HDTV (Widescreen) and it rocks!! TVs, these days, are much better than they used to be. I discovered that on my new HDTV that there is a technology built into it that allows the screen to move very slightly (not seen my the naked eye), therefore, reducing or completely eliminating the possibility for burn-in. But, still, I am very careful.

When you are using a projection TV, make sure to turn off the TV if you decide to put the game on pause and walk away for awhile. Also, it's critical to turn down the clarity to about 50%...that will definately take care of any burn-in problems...but, even then, it's good to not have an image on the screen for too long. You just have to be a little more careful...that's all.

The video is so much more clear if you are running Component video cables! I suggest getting the High Definition A/V pack or the Monster 400 Component video cables for the XBox. If you haven't seen it, it's a must!!! I can't believe the difference! :)

Wu3000
02-25-2002, 03:41 PM
yeah maximus they are amazing, and i know about your tv having that no burn in thingy. the guy at Fry's was talking to me about it, and said its the best and a must for people with games.

oh yeah frys' in houston tx northside, is having a sale on pos2 and xbox games.

and if you stay in austin tx, theres gonna be a masssive sale on all xbox games out right now at some venue down town, i herd it on the radidio.

when i dunno

wu

clintb
02-25-2002, 10:58 PM
Most of the burn-in occurs because of static images and especially when the contrast and brightness are cranked up to 100%. Always turn off when paused and calibrate your set with Video Essentials or Avia DVDs.

Any TV is succeptible to it and heck before all the power management and screen savers, computer monitors got it bad as well.

Just care for your equipment and you'll not have any problems.

Shadow Fox
02-26-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Well, tomorrow will be officially one week after owning my projection TV. I have a 43" Toshiba HDTV (Widescreen) and it rocks!! TVs, these days, are much better than they used to be. I discovered that on my new HDTV that there is a technology built into it that allows the screen to move very slightly (not seen my the naked eye), therefore, reducing or completely eliminating the possibility for burn-in. But, still, I am very careful.

When you are using a projection TV, make sure to turn off the TV if you decide to put the game on pause and walk away for awhile. Also, it's critical to turn down the clarity to about 50%...that will definately take care of any burn-in problems...but, even then, it's good to not have an image on the screen for too long. You just have to be a little more careful...that's all.

The video is so much more clear if you are running Component video cables! I suggest getting the High Definition A/V pack or the Monster 400 Component video cables for the XBox. If you haven't seen it, it's a must!!! I can't believe the difference! :) Yeah Max, I still play games on my 46 RCA sometimes. I've played on it for several years now, with no signs of burn-in. Still, peeps should keep the tube off if you're pausing or leaving the game on for a bit while away. Also mix up the types of games you play- DOA3 or CvS2 all day can easily leave "Ayane" or "Shin Gouki" on the screen forever. If anyone's seen projection screen arcade displays, you know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, even on the Wega, I keep my gaming to a discreet minimum. If I know I'll be playing for awhile (like PSO or Halo), I play the thing on the 40 monitor in the living room instead of the den.

Also, using the widescreen options more than likely help, too, but I'm not sure on that; Max can probably clear that up...

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

UltraMuffin
02-26-2002, 02:04 AM
What about games that have a static HUD... like the life meter in Halo or something. Could that burn into the TV even if the game's not paused?

clintb
02-26-2002, 09:15 AM
Yep, those static images are exactly what I'm talking about. Statistics, health meter, maps. Anything that just sits there without moving will eventually burn in.

Of course I'm not going to test it, but it's been said that a large part of burn-in can be reduced by getting the brightness and contrast in check. Do that with the Avia or Video Essentials DVD. THX Optimode could also help out, but isn't as comprehensive of tests/calibrations.

I have a 53" Pioneer Elite and in the manual Pioneer states that you should switch the TV to a regular source for a while after gaming. I guess the logic would be that games kinda push the set with all of the vibrant colors and high levels and that gives it a chance to normalize before shutting down.

l Maximus l
02-26-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox
Yeah Max, I still play games on my 46 RCA sometimes. I've played on it for several years now, with no signs of burn-in. Still, peeps should keep the tube off if you're pausing or leaving the game on for a bit while away. Also mix up the types of games you play- DOA3 or CvS2 all day can easily leave "Ayane" or "Shin Gouki" on the screen forever. If anyone's seen projection screen arcade displays, you know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, even on the Wega, I keep my gaming to a discreet minimum. If I know I'll be playing for awhile (like PSO or Halo), I play the thing on the 40 monitor in the living room instead of the den.

Also, using the widescreen options more than likely help, too, but I'm not sure on that; Max can probably clear that up...

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Well, the Widescreen option simply blows the picture up so the image is rectangle rather than square, respectivily. It's really sweet while playing games like Halo where you can see further to the left and right that would normally get cut off on a regular tube. Also, in NFL Fever, you can see the width of the entire field :D It's nice to be able to get more action on the screen with the Widescreen...it's a huge difference.

Also, Wu...I own the Monster 400 cables and the image on my TV is beautiful. I haven't seen or compared them with the High Definition A/V pack (which I imagine is really good, too)...but, I am very pleased with the Monster cables. I got them for a really good deal so I decided to go that route. :)

l Maximus l
02-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by UltraMuffin
What about games that have a static HUD... like the life meter in Halo or something. Could that burn into the TV even if the game's not paused?

As Clintb was saying....yes, that is the primary culprit for burn-in. But, if you play Halo on multi-player, which is what I do primarily, the bouts are not long enough to cause any problems. I mean, you have to have your TV's contrast set to 100% and have it sit there for a few hours before anything would happen. I wouldn't try it, though ;)

l Maximus l
02-26-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by UltraMuffin

As Clintb was saying....yes, that is the primary culprit for burn-in. But, if you play Halo on multi-player, which is what I do primarily, the bouts are not long enough to cause any problems. I mean, you have to have your TV's contrast set to 100% and have it sit there for a few hours before anything would happen. I wouldn't try it, though ;)

The key thing is to be a little more careful with a rear projection TV. If you be smart about it, it will last a long time and you won't have any problems. Personally, I won't go back to a tube unless I absolutely have to! Games are so much more incredible graphically on an HDTV...I can't begin to describe the difference! It's like night and day :)

DBXNY
02-26-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by cyclaud
I wouldnt think this because consoles would be at a prime on these tvs. is it the same for plasma and flat screen tvs.:confused:

Any display that relies on phosphur for light is susceptible to "burn-in". This includes Plasma and flat screen TVs as well. It can happen faster in RPTV's though because they use smaller CRTs than tube sets. (maybe just as fast in plasma's as well, but i'm not sure). The only types of TV sets that are not susceptible to burn-in are DLP (digital light processing) and LCD, as these rely on light bulbs for light sources.

The amount of time it takes to happen is a function that includes the type of static image, color, contrast and brightness, and length of time of display for starts. If you turn down the contrast (some say less than 50%) and brightness settings and vary your viewing types, you should be ok.