PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions Regarding The XBOX

WheresYOURgoldMedal?
08-11-2001, 12:53 PM
i just have a few questions that i was wondering about, id appreciate any answers you could give

1. is the xbox going to be one of those systems with a sort of a.i like dreamcast? like will it know your patterns in fighting games and counter it to make the game harder?

2 Are we going to have to get memory cards or expansion packs or someting of that nature for the xbox?

3 are there going to be any cool extras like a vibrating controller (which i dont think is that cool, just an example) or a "gun" that you could use for shooters?

thats all i was wondering about for now, thanks for any help

Spades
08-11-2001, 01:25 PM
1. i dont know

2. it has a 10 gig hard drive on it

3. they have the steering wheel, a snowboard, and i think a gun, plus joysticks i think i read somewhere. there are 2 companys making things i believe but i may be wrong

Aaron
08-11-2001, 04:26 PM
1) yes it will learn from your mistakes

2) No expansion packs, n64 had that cause it was weak, as for memory cards, all your game saves can be saved to the internal harddrive, but you can also use a memory card to take to other peoples xboxes.

3) Vibration is built-in, there are 2 vibrating motors inside the controller, as for extras, a gun is planned, like he said, a snowboard, steering wheels, joysticks, flight yoke, and other stuff is sure to come

StrikerObi
08-11-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by WheresYOURgoldMedal?
1. is the xbox going to be one of those systems with a sort of a.i like dreamcast? like will it know your patterns in fighting games and counter it to make the game harder?

The Xbox itself (or any system for that matter) can't learn. The game learns. In order for a situation like you mention to happen, the game itself has to be programmed to do it, it has nothing to do with the hadware of the system itself.

WheresYOURgoldMedal?
08-11-2001, 06:26 PM
Hmm well obi i dont need smart-ass comments from you, so heres a little quote of my own

"then i threaten his own life, all his relatives and all his pets"
- Ted Nugent

Alucard
08-13-2001, 09:41 AM
I thought you wanted good answers? The guy gives you the best answer possible (because he's simply stating the truth), and instead of thanking, you're "threatening" him with some quote...why?

EIGamerzX
08-13-2001, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by StrikerObi

The Xbox itself (or any system for that matter) can't learn. The game learns. In order for a situation like you mention to happen, the game itself has to be programmed to do it, it has nothing to do with the hardware of the system itself.
actually it does to a certain extent, due to xbox's speed and memory you can have large herds of enemy's all reacting with intelligent ai (see oddworld), and as hardware progresses you can program them more realisticly but as far as major differences in next-gen consoles .... don't expect many, and due to the harddrive programmers can make an ai that does remember with the xbox (see project ego)

Aaron
08-13-2001, 01:30 PM
Exactly EI. Alucard, if that was the best answer possible, how come it wasnt correct?

Alucard
08-13-2001, 07:38 PM
Because it is.
The x-box cannot learn by itself, the game has to learn (by using the x-box hardware) and give the x-box instructions on how to do things, the x-box itself cannot learn anything. It's all in the programming of the game. The game has to use the x-box for its learning, but does the x-box learn itself? No.

Aaron
08-13-2001, 08:14 PM
yes the xbox can learn, no its not the game learning, the game cannot be written to, but the HD is being written to, and the HD is part of the xbox, therefore the xbox learns. The xbox writes info to be saved on it and therefore it learns.