PDA

View Full Version : Statistics In Video Games

UltraMuffin
02-26-2002, 12:50 AM
Yo! I'm new here, welcome the muffin... you can touch me for a quarter! Anywho...

I think it should be mandatory for all games these days to keep track of your statistics... After I beat Silent Hill 2, I was delighted to see all kinds of interesting stats that I would have never thought of keeping track of. I think, when done correctly, this adds quite a bit of replay value to games. Like Halo for example, wouldn't it be nice to know things like:

How many enemies you killed (well, I guess you pretty much kill them all in Halo)
How long it took you to beat each level
How many times you died
How many kills you got with each weapon
How much total damage you took (assuming it could be represented with numbers)

Things to that effect, and then give you a rank based on the stats... it's like a modern high score list... providing endless challenges to beat your friends' ranks and your own ranks. This would work nicely with all types of games, and I'm sure it wouldn't take too much extra effort... why don't all games have this! Ah! Ah!

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what I hoped to gain from posting this... I guess it's just an opinion to share :D

Maybe I've overdosed on the geek juice.

Storm
02-26-2002, 12:54 AM
When I beat Metal Gear Solid 2 it gave me all of those stats...and I obtained nothing from it. LOL That's just me though...

jeah
02-26-2002, 12:57 AM
The only statistic that I hate (to love) is when a game keeps track of how many hours you play it, ie. PGR and wreckless. I cannot believe how much time i've spent on these games. It's rather pathetic.

Ultramuffin, i'm from alaska too, where you at?

jeah

Storm
02-26-2002, 01:00 AM
I do like to see how much hours I spent on a game. :D

UltraMuffin
02-26-2002, 01:03 AM
I'm from Fairbanks, how bout you? :)

I love seein how much time I've spent on my game... I like seein that I got my money's worth hehe

You know, when Microsoft launches their online service... that would be really really cool to have ranks based on statistics and a gigantic scoreboard for each game hehe

sinizuh
02-26-2002, 01:54 AM
i enjoy stats... more games should have stats. and be able to upload them to the internet and see the gobal ranking... then maybe that would make me play a game over and over again.

UltraMuffin
02-26-2002, 01:58 AM
Yeah yeah!

Hey, maybe those classic arcade collections would actually make sense on the Xbox... if they had some mega high score lists to upload your scores too or something.

As cool as online Unreal Championship or Brute Force would be, I hope Microsoft doesn't neglect the opportunity to bring some of the classics to this kind of environment... or classics with new twists... could you imagine, 32 player Bomberman? Team Bomberman? Bomberman Capture The Flag? hehe

Crazy Joe
02-26-2002, 02:48 AM
bomberman rules!

hey muffin, your website is pretty sweet man.

UltraMuffin
02-26-2002, 02:50 AM
Thank you!
That made my day!

Bundy
02-26-2002, 06:34 AM
for those of you that played unreal tournament, it keep all kinds of cool statistics. I really liked those. And with the hd in the xbox, UC better do the same thing. I like seeing how many times I smoked a friend with the crappiest weapon. :p

Chr0nik
02-26-2002, 07:18 AM
As long as I can beat the game I really don't care what my stats are.

E-Xbox
02-26-2002, 05:53 PM
WELCOME TO XBOX ADDICT ULTRAMUFFIN!!!!

Shadow Fox
02-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by UltraMuffin
Like Halo for example, wouldn't it be nice to know things like:

How many enemies you killed (well, I guess you pretty much kill them all in Halo)
How long it took you to beat each level
How many times you died
How many kills you got with each weapon
How much total damage you took (assuming it could be represented with numbers)
Sounds like Perfect Dark to me...:rolleyes:

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict