PDA

View Full Version : Official Jet Set Radio Future Thread

xfan2k2
02-25-2002, 06:38 PM
I just got this game at eb and it is freegin sick. My favorite xbox game (its a toss-up between this and halo).

ALSO--check out the latest gamespot review!
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/reviews/0,10867,2850394,00.html

NOT TO SHABBY!! (especially for gamespot)

I recomend all of you get this game. This game has style. It's not your average game, its got funky music and the coolest graphics youll ever see. Please check it out.

******Post anything related to the game below!******

DT21
02-25-2002, 06:41 PM
The game is out? I thought it was supposed to come out tomorrow.

xfan2k2
02-25-2002, 06:54 PM
EB had it early. PLEASSSE Look into this game, it is sooo ill!!!

DT21
02-25-2002, 06:56 PM
How's the multiplayer in this game? And is the game as hard as some of the reviews have said it was?

XBOX Dude
02-26-2002, 10:46 AM
are the worlds big cause i heard there huge

AlBoogy
02-26-2002, 11:10 AM
Whats the tag editor like? How does it compare to the dc version??(if you played it)

Mercury
02-26-2002, 03:30 PM
I want to know how the tag editor is and how many tricks can you pull off? Give me a rough estimate; 10, 20, 30?

Oh ya, I would also like to know how the flow of the game is? Are you constantly moving or do you seem to constantly hit objects and it stops your movement?

xfan2k2
02-26-2002, 03:52 PM
The worlds are massive in this game. Maybe double than Jet Grind Radio. The tag editor gets the job done.. I was able to make some awesome authentic looking tags with it..theres nothing to complain about it, and nothing ttaht makes it special. Also I haven't been playing this game very long but I'd say you can do about 15 different tricks. Like the original there aren't many, but honestally I rarely do tricks except in multilplayer.

Any other questions are welcome!!(sorry it took so long to respond before! :)

xfan2k2
02-26-2002, 04:10 PM
I'd also like to add that I just played 4-player multi-player with 3 friends. The multiplayer is great(runs at 60fps). This game and Halo have tied for best xbox game (in my opinion).

GRAVEDIGGER
02-26-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by xfan2k2
I'd also like to add that I just played 4-player multi-player with 3 friends. The multiplayer is great(runs at 60fps). This game and Halo have tied for best xbox game (in my opinion).

Dam, its that good? Then i guess i'll be getting JSRF and NBA 2K2 on saturday then, cause all i've been hearing all week is the buzz obout these two games, especially JSRF:cool:

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad:

Durden-XBA
02-27-2002, 06:17 PM
Does this game compare to any other? I mean the concept seems pretty unique, but I'd like it if someone could tell me what this one is similar to. Or if it's a combo of two games- You know, like Halo meets Kabuki.

I'm thinking about getting it if you guys can draw up somefavorable comparisons... If not, well, I'm poor anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Thanks Kids!

Frink
02-27-2002, 07:43 PM
JSRF is awesome. If you haven't picked it up already you should. If you like JGR for the Dreamcast then you will love JSRF. I have only played it for a few hours so I can't yet review it. But my first impressions are that it is amazing. Leaps and bounds beyond JGR. I will tell you that the first 2 hours are complete and utter bliss. Now I have to go and play more. Later.

SmileBit
02-27-2002, 07:45 PM
I just picked this game up today and played 30 minutes of it. Let me just say WOW. This game oozes style and is plain sick. Finally another killer app next to Halo in my library. Please dont think about buying it. Just get it. Hope it sells well. Smilebit keep this franchise alive. And do so by letting Microsft market it!

My initial 30 minute review score: 95/100

Frink
02-27-2002, 07:50 PM
I completely agree SmileBit.

FlyBoy
02-27-2002, 09:05 PM
I was considering buying THPS3 in a week when it comes out... is this the same type game? Its been getting awesome reviews. For those of you who have it, would this fulfill my THPS cravings?

Koopa
02-27-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by SmileBit
I just picked this game up today and played 30 minutes of it. Let me just say WOW. This game oozes style and is plain sick. Finally another killer app next to Halo in my library. Please dont think about buying it. Just get it. Hope it sells well. Smilebit keep this franchise alive. And do so by letting Microsft market it!

My initial 30 minute review score: 95/100

wow is this the same smilebit that did all the semi-flames in the debate board? wow I'm impressed:D

i'll go rent it this weekend and see if you're right, thanks for the recommendation!

Razor70
02-27-2002, 09:27 PM
Ya I am going to rent it first before buying it. I wasn't a really big fan of JSR for Dreamcast, but this does look pretty cool. Have to at least try it out.

wingchunstan
02-27-2002, 09:34 PM
i found 2 hidden tapes on jet set radio they look like audio tapes with a ? on them what do they do??
anyone?

Azazel
02-27-2002, 09:43 PM
I keep hearing how awesome this game is??? I didnt understand, so I went to EB to check it out. It seemed like fun, but nothing extra ordinary.

The big question: How in the hell did it get a perfect rating. Seriously! Better than Halo.

To Maneating Cow: Just curious how this game managed to beat Halo? 5.00 to 4.88. Maybe you need to take another look.

(not talking smack, just strongly disagree).:eek: :eek: :eek:

El Pollo Loco
02-28-2002, 12:28 AM
Beat Halo???

MAD MAD I SAY!

MAD!

balckviper
02-28-2002, 01:00 AM
So is this game like tony hawk which is based on tricking or does it actually have more of a storymode type play.

Highlite23
02-28-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by balckviper
So is this game like tony hawk which is based on tricking or does it actually have more of a storymode type play.

More of a story mode, the tricks are fun, but become secondary to whats going on. The chalenge is there, finding some of the ghosts is quite a task, let alone getting to them. It's great fun, i would find it hard to believe that someone will not like this game. They will definetlly be the minority.

brownguy
02-28-2002, 04:29 AM
As far as comparisons to the actual game, imagine this. Its got a basic trick system loosley based on tony hawk, the speed and frentic gameplay of Sonic, the graphical mayhem of Wreckless, the platforming and discovery bliss of a Mario with a little funkiness of Space Channel 5 mixed in. It's unique stylistic presentation is all its own, however. Pretty hard to believe huh? Well it truly is a top notch title..ENJOY

UltraMuffin
02-28-2002, 09:15 AM
The score will go down a bit once more people review it... I would think.

I don't understand why people treat Halo like it's God though... and besides, comparing JSRF to Halo is apples to oranges... they're very different games, doesn't mean they can't both be great in their own ways.

El Pollo Loco
02-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by UltraMuffin
The score will go down a bit once more people review it... I would think.

I don't understand why people treat Halo like it's God though... and besides, comparing JSRF to Halo is apples to oranges... they're very different games, doesn't mean they can't both be great in their own ways.

HERESY! Halo is god. Halo will show you the light my child.

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 10:54 AM
I can't imagine any game that could rival the excellence of Halo. My only two possible guesses would be Unreal Championship and Brute Force. But, it will be tough! :)

LynxFX
02-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Is this game really that good? Everytime I saw screenshots or movies or even commercials of it, it didn't look that great. It seems to have a huge following so I'll listen. Sell me on why this game is a must buy. :)

El Pollo Loco
02-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Yeah for some reason it just looks childish.

Mystakill
02-28-2002, 01:21 PM
brownguy,

I don't think I've ever seen JSRF summarized quite so succinctly. That's perfect! :)

Spaztic
02-28-2002, 01:31 PM
thats what I was thinking...the object of the game is to spraypaint the neighborhood?!....kinda reminds me of paperboy on the nes!

RudedogX
02-28-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Koopa

wow is this the same smilebit that did all the semi-flames in the debate board? wow I'm impressed:D

**** you koopa! you beat me to it! I can not believe this is the same gamecube fanboy from the past couple of days saying these things! Either way, the game doesn't really look special (like most of the others are saying). Any other info on it?

darianX
02-28-2002, 02:36 PM
Yes sir, it's a keeper. JSRF is one of the most unique games ever conceived. It's simple to pick up and learn, easy to control and loads of fun to play. Just wait till you grind for 2 minutes straight, jumping from rail to rail over the streets and buildings....:cool:

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by darianX
Yes sir, it's a keeper. JSRF is one of the most unique games ever conceived. It's simple to pick up and learn, easy to control and loads of fun to play. Just wait till you grind for 2 minutes straight, jumping from rail to rail over the streets and buildings....:cool:

I don't know, man...JSRF seems to give me that "Fuzion Frenzy" feeling. Am I just dead wrong about that? If so, how? :)

darianX
02-28-2002, 02:47 PM
They open up your mission objectives when you press start...otherwise you can't see anything but generic stuff. Cool game eh?:cool:

darianX
02-28-2002, 02:54 PM
Well, its not a party game for one thing :rolleyes: It's just hard to describe what it's like playing it...first it kinda feels boring and empty just skating around tagging stuff, but then you discover that you can grind almost anywhere, finding hidden items, wallride over billboards, etc etc, and a whole new world opens up. The amount of freedom you have is incredible...you can go anywhere that is unlocked and explore because there are no time limits. It's just real hard to describe it with words, it has to be experienced.

If you have doubts about it, rent it first. I bought it on a "good feeling" and I'm glad I did. Normally I wouldnt buy a game so "out there" with little or no description to go with it but I trusted my gut. Rent if unsure, but give it a try anyway :cool:

Frink
02-28-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

I don't know, man...JSRF seems to give me that "Fuzion Frenzy" feeling. Am I just dead wrong about that? If so, how? :)

I am not even sure why you would compare the two. Fusion Frenzy is more of a party game and JSRF is more of a single player game...though it does have a multiplayer mode. If you didn't like or haven't played JGR for Dreamcast then I would probably rent it first. But if you loved JGR then it is a definate buy. For me it ranks just a little below Halo. Well...I am off to play more JSRF. If you have any more questions on the game just ask me.

brownguy
02-28-2002, 06:07 PM
I will try and summarize the game for those who arent sure what the game is about or are unsure whether it really is that good.

The best genre to categorize this game is probably platformer. When you first pick up the game, you will think to yourself, man these controls are real simple, how can this be any fun. Well minutes later, you will realize that the controls and trick system are meant to be that way. The environments are huge and you really have to be creative to access those hard to reach areas. As fast paced as the game can be, coupled with the frentic environment of neo Tokyo make the control system perfect. There are more tricks available to you this time around, but I found myself sticking to the basics to try and reach new areas. Yes the basic premise of the game is to tag all of Tokyo and claim it for your gang, but summarizing the gameplay as such is like saying Bill Gates has a few dollars. Within each level you must first tag the area before meeting up with the boss. Its a nice way to introduce yourself to the level, because the map will show you where you need to go to finish the level. In fact, the map will show you where most of the secret stuff in the level is as well. The trick is how in the hell are you gonna get to that wall that needs to be tagged, or bonus whatever 3 stories above you. Imagine this, in order to tag a certain area you will need to grind up a telephone post up to the wire, jump off a billboard onto a pipe, off another bill board to a different set of wires, jump across to another set of wires, then tag on the fly as you pass the wall..... True platforming bliss all executed properly with its simple controls.

The true beauty are the secret goodies that can be unlocked. Not only can you unlock secret characters, but special tracks of music and my favorite new better looking tags. You have 4 different tags that you can assign varying on size. New tags are only available to you if you customize your own, or discover them in game. Again the only way to find these are by pulling off the craziest of stunts with your characters. The nice thing is it attains that perfect balance of challenge and intuitiveness. In other words, when you are challenged to find the last place to tag on a level or to find that one last bonus tag on the level, usually you will see something crazy like a wire off in the distance that hangs over water that you cant see where it leads... thats usually where you want to go. You just need to pull it off somehow :)
Anyways I have rambled too long, but the last thing are the boss encounters which vary quite a bit. From playing capture the flag, to racing, to playing match my trick.... they are all fun. These are very similar to unlocking the new characters, which you first have to find then defeat in a game of sorts. To summarize the whole game in games we are more familiar with, my earlier post says it best me thinks. The controls are based loosely on the Tony Hawk series, the gameplay is fast and exciting like you remember the first few Sonics to be, the exploration and discovery of secrets, areas and tags have the creativity of Mario 64, the environments are as detailed and frentic as Wreckless and when you finish it with a little bit of funkiness from something like Space Channel 5, shake it all together and you get JSRF. Unbelievable game

Brownguy

thunderkiss2k1
02-28-2002, 07:55 PM
Hey, why you guys go vote on the JSRF poll i posted? and give your opinions. Thanks in advance.

khaos2005
02-28-2002, 10:00 PM
Well, darianX seemed to do exactly what I did. I also do not generally buy games so "different" right off the bat. I like to rent them first. However, the reviews of many sites said this game was excellent. And well...

It certainly is. I have only played it for about 2 hours or so though. The graphics are excellent as far as cel-shaded games go, which I don't like much generally, but I do here. It seems like it is a type of GTA3 world. You have several giant sections to an even larger city. You eventually unlock new parts as you move on. To move around the town (as compared to going to other islands in GTA3) you simply skate over there. There is a map to guide you around, as well. I am glad I went out on a limb and bought this game. It is wondeful so far. The basic idea may seem childish, and it is in a way, but it is a teen rated game for one, and it has an upper level of thinking young kids would not get. So it is keeping my attention very well so far. Sure, your PS2 friends may pick on you having this game, or poke fun of its childish look, but they like to find any minor flaw in a game and make it into a big deal. I think if they played this game, they could at least say that it is very entertaining. I know from experience it is hard to make your PS2 friends happy playing the Xbox, but this game could help almost as much as Halo. :) Great game overall, glad I purchased it. 9.5 out of 10. Oh, and it is nothing like Fusion Frenzy. That's like comparing Arctic Thunder and Amped or Tricky.

There's my $0.02.

studepaber
03-01-2002, 08:21 AM
After playing this game for about 4 straight hours last night I managed to have kewl inline skating dreams about me grinding everything. I can't get enuff of this game so far, the multiplayer is a little weak but so what!! Move over Halo this one's the new chump I mean champ.

Spaztic
03-01-2002, 10:58 AM
I usually don't look twice on games like this but since I haven't heard any bad review I went out on a limb and bought it....I wasn't going to open it but for some reason I did. Well I am very glad that I opened the game because it is a experience all xbox owners should have. The game's is a techno based, clubbing, linear storyline game. While the people have rollerblades, it is not a trick based game, so don't expect a tony hawk! I feel this game is geared towards, a hiphop audience. People that like movies like, Hackers and Fast and Furious, and are part of the rave, techno scene will love this game! The music is absolutely great it really keeps the game going and the head boppin'. The characters in the game are a little cheesy but fit the mood of the game. The story keeps the action going, and if you want to go and explore the enviroment you can since there is no time limit. The graphics are pretty cool you really have to see them in order to appreciate the detail. The streets are very crowded and at no time did i see any slowdown! The people, autos, and birds, all act realisticly to your character. Overall this game is very well made. I really enjoy it. I have only played the game for 2 hours, and so far it has been reallly easy! I have not tried multiplayer yet so I don't know how that is...but with such a good 1 player mode I don't think I am going to try it any time soon. This is a game that I could see my girlfriend play, it is not to difficult to pick up, and on a 1 player game before you start there is a walk though on the games controls. I hear some people say this game rivals halo, well that is like compairing apple w/ oranges. JSRF is a great game, but really can't compair with the magic of Halo. I hope this helps any questions can be directed to me I will try to anwser them the best I can. A must have for the clubbers!

-Maximus-this game really is not like a fusion frenzy mission game! It does have different objectives as the story progresses. It is really a game that is so origional that it is hard to describe. I would definatly suggest you to rent this game just so you can experience it, I think your wife would like it!

ScorpionX
03-01-2002, 11:01 AM
Is it the same as dc where you just spraypaint things and people. I think it would be cooler if there was missions or objectives.

Loner
03-01-2002, 03:56 PM
how's the soundtrack, the original was amazing. grand royal created the sound track again, right?

Mystakill
03-02-2002, 03:02 AM
ratm1mj7,

There *ARE* objectives in JSRF other than tagging everything in sight. Some require you to beat an opponent in a race, or grab the most flags, or mimic another character, just to name a few.

Find Grafitti Souls & Mystery Tapes is also a big part of unlocking things. Some of the GS are a b!tch to get to.

JimmieDoogan
03-02-2002, 10:20 AM
I returned New Legends and got JSRF last night.... WOW!!!!!!!! Games like this are why I bought an Xbox! THANK YOU SEGA!! THANK YOU MICROSOFT!!!!

goingwreckless
03-02-2002, 01:49 PM
hey over the summer i had $15 dollars and i had a dreamcast now i so this game called jet grind radio and it looked fun but only $10 dollars so i was think wait a minute if its $10 dollars then it wouldnt be fun but i just bought it so i played it got ADDICTED and wouldnt go to be until 12:00 i will play it before school and when i get home now Dreamcast has been discontinued and well i said !@#$ but then i heard about xbox so i got it for christmas then i heard about JSRF and then i started going crazy and saving money now im about to go out and buy it especialy after the multiplayer:cool:

thunderkiss2k1
03-02-2002, 10:27 PM
Yes, how do I get behind the gate in the second chapter? :)

Xbox
03-02-2002, 10:29 PM
My second game is JSRF, right next to my Halo. Which Both are part of my gaming life!

JimmieDoogan
03-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Yes I do! HOW DID I GET SO DOPE AT THIS GAME SO FAST? :D

FlyBoy
03-03-2002, 12:12 AM
Motoko S9... the Miss Cleo of JSRF... just kidding man! I'm still unsure if I want to pick this one up or THPS 3. I think its gonna have to be Tony!

goingwreckless
03-03-2002, 01:42 AM
is it fun?:D

Afro Aura
03-03-2002, 02:36 PM
can someone tell me how to get to the otherside of the gate in
Rokkaku-Dal Heights, I've found Rhyth and I thought she would open it but no luck

err one more thing could you anwser my most "JSRF tricks?"

Loner
03-03-2002, 03:07 PM
the original soundtrack to JSR was great, how's the soundtrack in the JSRF?

Afro Aura
03-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Loner
the original soundtrack to JSR was great, how's the soundtrack in the JSRF?
it's hard to say mate there are some cool tunes like remixs of the tunes in JSR but there a some real nasty tune eerrhh but the good ones overweigh the bad tunes

and if you can understand what the hell I was talking about err let me know:D

SeTH
03-04-2002, 06:07 PM
so i should get this game.
but i played the first one on dreamcast and it was alright, is this one much better?

Masta Chief
03-04-2002, 08:19 PM
Ok, I beat JSRF. Now, even though I beat it, there is still a load of stuff you can do. If you go to your note thing in the pause menu, there are street challenges. Everytime you beat one, you can get a graffiti soul. Man this game is tight as hell. The end boss is easy if you are good at the game. It involves lot of wall rides and poll jumping. The end is not that great for everything you go through. But it is still a great game. And that music is sick!

Afro Aura
03-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Motoko S9
Loner- The soundtrack kicks major ass man! It has it's not-so-good songs, but it's great nonetheless.

Afro Aura- errh I haven't gotten that far yet but err I'll let you know when I get there err. :D
lol not to worry mate I've got it sorted, I've had words with the boss of the Poison Ivy Team and someone has nicked our dog ooh noo what are the GG gonna do now.

Find out in the next issuse of JSRF "missing dog" lol

This game is AWESOME I can't stop playing it

linkycat
03-05-2002, 03:11 PM
TO "SETH"

Should you buy this game... What a wierd question. What kind of games do you like?

Seriously though, it is a great game. Very innovative/original, and just as cool, if not cooler than the original dreamcast game. I own both games, and the power of the XBOX seriously beefed up the art in this game, the cel-shading is great.

However, if you are a huge skating fan, and you play games like Tony Hawk and what not, it might not be quite right. Granted it's still a blast, but there is not really a comprehensive trick system as it is... This button Jumps... This button Paints... and so on.

So the best I can do for ya is, Rent the game. Blockbuster stores are everywhere, rent the sucker when yours gets it and test it out. It is almost everyone's tea of choice, but if it isn't yours you haven't blown away 45 bucks.

Enjoy the game, it is pretty sweet, but maybe not the end all beat all cel-shading game that it was first cracked up to be.

SeTH
03-06-2002, 05:09 PM
hey thanks I will rent it so I just in case I don't like it I didn't just spend $50 on it!!!