PDA

View Full Version : Official Circus Maximus Thread

maneatingcow
02-26-2002, 04:28 PM
This is the official Circus Maximus Thread.

All posts about this new game belong here, and in about a week, this post will be moved to the appropriate games forum.

This is to help keep these boards more organized, and to help you find what you need easier J

Thanks For Listening!

GRAVEDIGGER
02-26-2002, 11:09 PM
Well seeing as how you're talkin abut getting answers easier, i wanna know what in the hell is so good about a chariot racing/fighting game?!?!:mad:

Dont get me wrong, i'm not saying its garbage from the get-go, but all i'm asking is, do they really think this novel idea will stay afloat in todays fierce gaming world??:confused:

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad:

Caspel
02-27-2002, 10:57 AM
I haven't recieved it yet, hopefully UPS pulls in my driveway soon. I will have the review on this game most definately once I get the game. Expecting it today, still have a good 6 hours for it to arrive at my house.

balckviper
02-28-2002, 08:00 PM
I am expecting this game to be very good. First it is something new to the gaming area with chariots instead of the normal car racing. Next in incorporates fighting and driving skills allowing you the ability to control the warrior or racer. Then having a multiplayer where two people can actually be on the same team I couldn't ask for more. Hopefully it will live up to my expectations.

studepaber
02-28-2002, 08:10 PM
This game is pretty freakin good. I have only played it in single player and the controls took me about 30 mins to get down, but after that it is a blast! Looking foward to playing this game with 3 others, fun fun!!!! How do you unlock boards in this game btw?

DrainYou
03-01-2002, 11:34 AM
what's going to make this a good game you ask? well, someone doesn't see the potential of a game like this.

the way i see it, the concept alone is great... and the gameplay is excellent.

i know it seems like a cheesy game to play... "Chariot Racing? - CHARIOT RACING?!?!" don't let the concept fool you, this game is definitely fun. you race- you fight- YOU RACE WHILE YOU FIGHT -and- FIGHT WHILE YOU'RE RACING. There's a bit of blood & gore to it to add that little sense of reality.

The graphics are very smooth and crisp. The flow of the game is fast paced and slow paced at times but that's all part of building your strategy and getting to the finish line 1st!

if i can offer any advice to those skeptics about this 'cheesy little "CHARIOT RACING" game' it is this: don't knock it until you try it. rent it once and you'll head right back out to buy it.

BORNGD
03-01-2002, 02:18 PM
there is only 7 races though right? the concept and game sound great, but only 7 races...i dont know

FpS_PhReeK
03-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Maximus,,,,, well what can I say? He is a true hero of the Asylum, I mean he is a fountain of genuine and percise information, and a fair and just contributor of constructive opinion and insight. I would have to say most viamently that, overlooking the obsession with beer, he is a model x-box addict.

As far as him joining the circus....... I had heard nothing about this strange turn of events. Come to think about it I have never heard him whisper a word about any type of performing arts ability.... I wonder what type of exibition he performs,,,, maybe he is the Amazing Maximus - Consumer of Mass Quantities of Beer who can surprisingly whoop your a$$ on multiplayer Halo even while enibreated.

Anyway Maximus please do not keep us in suspense man what circus is it that you are performing in and what is your special feat?

PhReeK out!

p.s. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bored at work.

l Maximus l
03-01-2002, 04:13 PM
hehe, FPH_Phreak...

I must admit, clever post...and, while I am at it, I must give in and tell you that I have mastered the art of swigging beer while kicking ass in Halo :D But, I'm sure many have assumed that ;)

Well, for what people have to say about this game, it's given me some second thoughts. I will rent this game to see what the rave is about... I saw a streaming video of this game in action and I thought it looked horrible...but, rarely do I depend on streaming video. Sometimes, I find myself comparing games to the brilliancy of Halo. How can any game top that? I can't wait to find out!

But, in any regards, I really hope that Circus Maximus blows me away...My mind has opened up by reading this thread. I noticed that someone gave a review and gave it a 5 out of 5 already.

Grizpin
03-01-2002, 10:44 PM
Yep, that was my review. I always preferred the Gamepro method of ranking a game and that's how I try and grade them. The game is fun and original and in todays game market I think we need more of them. Im tired of the same old cr@p. Obviously not everyone liked it. IGN shot it down and Gamespot gave it a fair rating. Frankly I think they were a bit harsh on the game. I liked it, that's what counts. It's nice to have something a bit more varied than Twisted Metal and Cel Damage. Give it a try.

And there are 7 areas to race with a total of 19 tracks. They might be counting reverse tracks and death match tracks. Either way, it's still fun. Would you rather race 26 Nascar tracks (left turn, left turn, left turn, left turn) or race 7 unique tracks with a bit of glutious maximus (pun not intended, heh) kicking?

rayzor6
03-02-2002, 06:00 AM
I also want to see what the game is about...but I can't rent in right in my area....and I only have money in my budget to buy ONE game here in the near future....

Decisions, Decisions:p

studepaber
03-02-2002, 10:46 AM
Since I graduated from BGSU I'll tell ya what it's all aboot, ha... Basically it's best played with 3 other people, although there are only 2 carts instead of 4 in single mode. The learning curve for the controls will take you roughly 30 mins to an hour to get down, but after that it's like second nature. I have only unlocked a couple of boards thus far but they seem pretty kewl, and most of them are so long that it makes 'only 7 boards' seem like alot. While the environments aren't necessarily that detailed they serve their purpose, but the game runs at a fast framerate with virtually no slowdown. I'd say if you have 3 other friends who enjoy competition whatsoever then this may be a better game than something like JSRF, but if you want to play something for the single player experience alone pick up JSRF (it rules). I may get sick of it come April or May and decide to trade it in, but this one sure gives you one helluva good time with 3 buds.

Oh by the way if you are looking for more of a racer game you should get Rallisport Challenge which is coming out next Tuesday or Wednesday, it will also come with 4 player and it looks shweet.

Sutpen1
03-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Anyone that has played Circus Maximus.... Have you had any problems with the game resetting the difficulty level to novice from moderate when you attempt to resume tournament play? I beat the game on novice but now it keeps resetting the difficulty level when I resume games. The only way to get it back to moderate is wipe out my tournament progression thus far and start over. Also, when you compete on the moderate level it says you can unlock the death match races, but that isn't working either. Has anyone else had similar problems, or have any suggestions? I hope there is a simple solution because I have otherwise been enjoying the game alot and would recommend it.

DrainYou
03-02-2002, 07:44 PM
ok, i got the game yesterday and have unlocked a bunch of stuff so far. i have about 8 hours of gameply in.

my analysis so far... this game is great. it has a wide range of tatics, good gameplay, a LOT of re-play value and the graphics are amazing. it is a very fun game to play.

there are so many variables and situations that it makes me beleive that you cannot ever truely be a master. you WILL lose... and you will lose A LOT! there are too many factors involved for anyone to win every single time.

it takes a great amount of skill to drive *AND* fight at the same time... and since this games requires EVERY button to be used in the process, the challenge of becoming master increases. i love it!

goingwreckless
03-02-2002, 08:51 PM
this is a fun game me and my friends have a challenge after school since we live on the same block and i won but enough bragging just at least go rent it it is fun

FuNkY mOnK
03-02-2002, 10:23 PM
EGM rated this game 1.5, save your money and rent the movie Ben Hur with Charlton Heston, you’ll only have to push one button, play.

studepaber
03-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Haven't you been reading these posts?????? Obviously the people at EGM played an earlier version or didn't give the game a chance. But if you refuse to rent or buy the game based on one magazine staff's obviously faltered review of the game then it's your loss, it sure is one helluva great 4 player game tho.

FuNkY mOnK
03-03-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by studepaber
Haven't you been reading these posts?????? Obviously the people at EGM played an earlier version or didn't give the game a chance. But if you refuse to rent or buy the game based on one magazine staff's obviously faltered review of the game then it's your loss, it sure is one helluva great 4 player game tho.
I’ll guarantee you that the next four posts will be negative about this game, and I’m sure in a few days you will agree with everyone else.

goingwreckless
03-03-2002, 07:23 PM
what can i say its fun

Grizpin
03-03-2002, 09:48 PM
I know reviewers are professionals who try just about every game on the market, but you can't judge something by how someone else views it. If the theme interests you then you just might like it. Despite what someone else says about it.

How many bad games are made that people enjoy? How many good games are made that people don't even bother playing? Quite a few in each category. Why? Because we have our own likes and dislikes and the freedom to choose between the two.

Caspel
03-04-2002, 05:00 PM
I just recieved my Circus Maximus: Chariot Wars copy today finally. I will try to get the review up for everybody on XBoxaddict by atleast Thursday. Its a fun game!

studepaber
03-04-2002, 07:00 PM
Grizpin I totally agree with ya dude, and to think I was gonna sell this game because Funky Monk's prophecy came true, lol. This game rules 4 player, but even though it's fun I'm sure it won't stay in my library forever since there's more than 30 games I will get this year on the Xbox alone, and I will most likely trade it in. My POINT was that I have read EGM forever and just don't believe Circus Maximus fits into that 1.5ish rating as I have seen hundreds of horrible games get at least mediocre ratings. Ah well no more justifications of using good or poor rating to buy/not buy games! I'll just stick to the opinions of my fellow xbox addicts for the best advice :)

FuNkY mOnK
03-04-2002, 07:22 PM
I don’t know what you guys see in this game, imo it looks like total crap from the graphics to the physics, I’ve seen it in action,and to be honest with you it’s a casual gamers game at that. I don’t think the hard-core veterans will give this a minutes worth. No offense people, I played better games on my 286.

Grizpin
03-04-2002, 07:52 PM
You shouldn't think what hardcore players will enjoy. I've played better mplayer games of pong because I had fun kicking my bro's arse.

But for another perspective on this game, check out Gamepros review...... www.gamepro.com

Some people actually like it.

*gasp*

P.S. You're wrong about the graphics and physics.

BigWillieCole
03-05-2002, 03:12 PM
I have been really looking forward to this game, but I think I a just going to rent it. People really haven't shown too much love for it from what I have seen.