PDA

View Full Version : HDTV + 360 games

CyberBOMB
07-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Im buying a HDTV soon. I saw on ebgames.com that dead rising looks great at 720p. My question is... Do all 360 games run on different resolutions? Like some at 720p or 1080i? And if my tv is 1080i what happens if i run a 720p game? sorry if its a noob question but im honestly curious.

P.S. i only own Perfect Dark 0 and Ghost Recon AW but am planning on getting Dead Rising and Saints Row

l Maximus l
07-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Well, XBox 360, at the minimum, will produce games in 720p - some may include 1080i (most of them will, but not all). It's important, IMO, to purchase an HDTV that has a native resolution at 720p if you are going to play games a lot.

When you're shopping around, make sure to keep that in mind - finding an HDTV that has a "native resolution of 720p". This will narrow down your options so you can make the best purchase.

Hopefully this helps. The XBox (the first one) single handidly made me run out and purchase an HDTV - the XBox 360 reaffirms the great purchase of one!

Once you go HDTV, you won't go back - mark my words :)

CyberBOMB
07-18-2006, 11:14 PM
native 720p? im trying to buy a 1080i hdtv that is rear projection with dlp. is that good enough?

sorry for being such a noob its just that i am not buying this for tv its just for 360 and only the size of the tv will be useful for regular television. (im not interested in hd directv at this time cuz of the prices).

l Maximus l
07-18-2006, 11:47 PM
Yes, that would be a good purchase; however, you want to make sure that the DLP HDTV you are purchasing is 720p native. I would do some research - you'll get a much better picture while playing games on your XBox 360 if you get an HDTV that is 720p native. Just so you know, the likeliness of that HDTV to also support 1080i is very very high anyway. My point is that 720p is actually superior to 1080i and an HDTV that is native 720p is going to result in a better picture while playing your XBox 360.

By the way, I actually remember you when you joined years ago! I'm still around - never left since :D I joined one month after you did!

CyberBOMB
07-19-2006, 12:43 AM
hahah add me to your friends list then on 360, im Crypticalhawk

i thought the higher the better seeing as how they just busted out with 1080p

CyberBOMB
07-19-2006, 12:49 AM
i was actually considering buying from walmart. perhaps one like this
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4383688

Rochey69r
07-19-2006, 02:59 AM
hey max do you still remmeber me?!?!!

lol, i been here for longer than most too. i hardly go on live anymore cause stupid mac os x 10.4 wont let me internet share but i still play my xbox and my 360 quite a bit.

i bought far cry just the opther day but havnt had a real chance 2 play it. im gonna go play it in half an hour or so i think. i rented it and loved it so off i went and got it!

on topic-- i have also debated about 720p and 1080i with my friedns i am sure that games look better at 720p.

and yes i agree qwith max, do not but a hdtv unless it can supprt 720p.

l Maximus l
07-19-2006, 06:21 PM
hahah add me to your friends list then on 360, im Crypticalhawk

i thought the higher the better seeing as how they just busted out with 1080p

Well, you have to understand what the "p" means with 720p and what the "i" means with 1080i. Right now, there are some HDTVs on the market that support 1080p; however, the technology does not exist in regards to broadcasting or software (DVD or HD-DVD), so, 1080p is a little ahead of itself.

The "p" in 720p stands for "progressive". The "i" as in 1080i means "interlaced". Here's the difference:

Interlace: With 1080i, this means that exactly half of 1080 lines are drawn on the screen (which is 540). What happens is that the first scan will draw one line, skip one line, draw one line, skip one line, etc - all the way from the top to the bottom of the screen. On a second scan, the lines that were skipped (the remaining 540 lines) are filled in from top to bottom to create the video image. Interlace scan is less superior than progressive scan.

Progressive: With 720p, this means that precisely 720 lines are drawn from the top to the bottom of the screen all in one big swoop as opposed to performing two scans like interlace. The result is a higher resolution and a true digital picture. 1080i will result in what 540p would look like - 720p, being higher, is; therefore, superior to 1080i.

I hope this helps!

l Maximus l
07-19-2006, 06:27 PM
hey max do you still remmeber me?!?!!

lol, i been here for longer than most too. i hardly go on live anymore cause stupid mac os x 10.4 wont let me internet share but i still play my xbox and my 360 quite a bit.

i bought far cry just the opther day but havnt had a real chance 2 play it. im gonna go play it in half an hour or so i think. i rented it and loved it so off i went and got it!

on topic-- i have also debated about 720p and 1080i with my friedns i am sure that games look better at 720p.

and yes i agree qwith max, do not but a hdtv unless it can supprt 720p.

Of course I remember you, Rochey! You're my favorite Ausie :D

I don't have Far Cry, but, I do have GRAW and I really enjoy it. I'm really looking forward to Gears of War more than any XBox 360 game - I'm even more stoked about it than I am with Halo 3. Anyway, it's great to see you - feel free to add me to your XBL buddy list: l Maximus l (the "l" is simply a lowercase "L" with a space between it and my name - same with the end).