PDA

View Full Version : Alone in the Dark: Near Death Investigation

Gus McPherson
07-20-2006, 06:40 AM
I am a huuuge fan of the vintage Alone in the Dark games, especially Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare and Alone in the Dark: Jack is Back. I was really pumped about a fifth game in 2001 after seeing Edward Carnby's name at the end of the credits. But it never came to pass, until now.

OK. The movie was A grade tripe. Don't let that put you off. This game is gonna be a series type horror adventure, very similar to TV series like The X-Files or The Twilight Zone. From what I gathered, it even seems like a TV show, because you get an epilogue at the end of each chapter. That sounds rather intriguing to me.

Wow, the original Alone in the Dark game was released way back in 1992. Hard to believe the genre has evolved so much since that era. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Fatal Frame. Hell, we've all played them. But Alone in the Dark is the true master of the genre.

Personally, I thought Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare was spectacular stuff. The radio chit-chat and torch effects were what made the game so enjoyable. But it has always been underrated due to the popularity of Resident Evil/Biohazard.

I salute Alone in the Dark for staying true to the genre. Unlike Resident Evil 4, which is just meh meh meh.

laughs
07-20-2006, 10:38 PM
I just want to comment on how much the movie licked. Some of the worst acting I've ever seen, and possibly the worst editing also. The "dead" woman lifted her freakin head before they the cut to the next scene. :cuss:

Rhiannon
07-21-2006, 07:27 AM
I agree the movie was pretty crappy. However the game, Alone in The Dark The New Nightmare is deffinately worth a play. I played it through a few times. I enjoyed playing as both characters and the whole investigative process.