PDA

View Full Version : Just like Gamespy (check this out)

l Maximus l
02-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Well, I came across a site that is similar to Gamespy in that we can play Halo on-line. But, I understand that the games are operated on a server, therefore, lag won't be a problem like it can be on Gamespy.

Check it out at www.XBoxconnector.com . It looks pretty new and much more solid than Gamespy. :)

fear_this
02-27-2002, 10:29 AM
Dude once i get home i gonna download that shyt!

FlyBoy
02-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Sweet Maximus, I'm gonna have to go get a hub from our university computer supplies so I can play online with ya'll. Right now we usually just get 2 or 3 XBOX's around campus online w/a LAN. All we have to do is plug the box into the ehternet plug in the wall and we're set! No lag either cuz we're all on the same network. Maybe this site will be more like what I've been doing.:D

Phiresun
02-27-2002, 10:35 AM
Thanks Maximus, I have to try this as soon as I get home too. It wasn't working out well with tunnel so maybe this may be my ticket to online play. Max U Da MaN as usual...this Bud is 4u!!!:eek:

JJaX
02-27-2002, 10:37 AM
If games are hosted on a server everyone that connects to it will get lag based on there connection. This wont eliminate lag, but it will give everyone lag making it a tad more fair.

(gamespy = host always gets 0 ping)

l Maximus l
02-27-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
If games are hosted on a server everyone that connects to it will get lag based on there connection. This wont eliminate lag, but it will give everyone lag making it a tad more fair.

(gamespy = host always gets 0 ping)

Interesting point...and I agree...but, I'm not sure what type of bandwidth they are using from this server. For all I know, they could be running an OC-192 :D All I have heard is that this significantly reduces or eliminates lag overall, atleast compared to Gamespy. I'm going to check this out as soon as this weekend :)

l Maximus l
02-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Because this site is relatively new, I would imagine that they don't have as many members as Gamespy does. However, if we just get people on this site alone and add that to the current members, they would have tons of people!!

The way I found out about this was by a dude on Gamespy while I was playing last night. He said that there is no lag at all and he played a session with a total of four XBoxes and atleast 2 on each box...he said it was awesome! I can't see this for myself until this weekend, however, I will definately check it out for sure!! :)

Xtopia
02-27-2002, 11:59 AM
I wont be able to try it out till the weekend...been really busy:mad: But max...do u know where the server is? I mean if it is New York...then West coast players might get more lag right? im in wyoming soo it would be cool if it were in Co or something:cool: Anyway...hope it is cool!!!:)

l Maximus l
02-27-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by xtopia
I wont be able to try it out till the weekend...been really busy:mad: But max...do u know where the server is? I mean if it is New York...then West coast players might get more lag right? im in wyoming soo it would be cool if it were in Co or something:cool: Anyway...hope it is cool!!!:)

Not quite sure yet, dude...I emailed them a bunch of questions...I will keep you all posted when I get the reply :D

Xtopia
02-27-2002, 12:03 PM
Also...Your X-box is still hooked up in the same way right? You dont need any weird configurations? Im technologiclly(sp?) brain dead...so if it kinda weird ill stick with gamespy! But well see!

l Maximus l
02-27-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by xtopia
Also...Your X-box is still hooked up in the same way right? You dont need any weird configurations? Im technologiclly(sp?) brain dead...so if it kinda weird ill stick with gamespy! But well see!

I didn't think of that possibility...but, I would imagine that it would be the same type of hook up but with different software that you have to download. Because, the way that we are doing it, in regards to hooking it up, is the only way that it can be done (unless you have a USB DSL modem..you just use a Crossover from the Ethernet Port).

So, it should be really easy. :)

Kennedy
02-27-2002, 01:43 PM
i wonder how microsoft thinks theyll be getting people to PAY for their online service this summer with all these new free ones popping up left and right....

im suprised noones gotten sued over it

l Maximus l
02-27-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Kennedy
i wonder how microsoft thinks theyll be getting people to PAY for their online service this summer with all these new free ones popping up left and right....

im suprised noones gotten sued over it

Actually, I would think that Microsoft is happy that Gamespy is doing this with the XBox. The XBox gets more advertising and it's being utilized in ways that aren't available at the moment. Besides, if you think about it, Microsoft can learn from sites like Gamespy and find their faults so they can deliver the best on-line forums known to the gaming world! :D

I don't know...just a thought.

In regards to pricing, I think that Microsoft is likely to have several different types of payment arrangements. Maybe a one year payment, quarterly payment, monthly payment, bi-yearly payment, and possibly even an hourly payment. I think that by having these options, it will be great for all different types of people.

Personally, I am one just to pay a one year payment...get it all out of the way...usually this type of format is discounted...so, we'll see :) I think they will make it affordable because they'll definately want people to be on-line playing! :D

E-Xbox
02-27-2002, 02:42 PM
nice find max
but i think i will stick wit gamespy for now

Kennedy
02-27-2002, 10:59 PM
maximus, goodpoint, but my point is that if these free online xbox services and websites keep popping up itll be a whole lot harder for them to get people to pay a monthly fee for their official service. Even though MS's online world will be a whole lot better and worth the money, some people will just overlook paying for it and just play for free... It has to hurt buisness somewhat you cant compete with free!!

think of it this way

you owned a car dealership for years, with the best prices and services and warrantys around, then this guy opens up another dealership down the street selling cars for free, your gonna lose all your buisness cause no matter what kind of cool things you can give away, people will still flock to the other guy to get a free car.

just my take on it...

J Dub
02-28-2002, 01:03 AM
Is the link wrong? Or is the site dead? :confused:

Azazel
02-28-2002, 03:32 AM
Site is dead, I cant connct either.

If it works though I would much rather play on the servers cause I cant handle anymore of that stupid verizon add that Gamespy has! It takes forever.:mad:

manchufu
02-28-2002, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Keneedy -
"you owned a car dealership for years, with the best prices and services and warrantys around, then this guy opens up another dealership down the street selling cars for free, your gonna lose all your buisness cause no matter what kind of cool things you can give away, people will still flock to the other guy to get a free car. "

I think comparing online gaming to free cars is a bit different. From bits and pices i've picked up on the internet, I would say microsoft is going to have this online gaming....cheap, very cheap. I would think they have the teenagers in mind who saved up their paychecks for a few months to get there glorious system, back to comparing with cars, sure, the dealership down the street is giving away Yugos, but microsoft is going to give you a mercedes for 50 bucks!!! I don't know if you can see the value in it, but a mercedes for $50 over a yugo for free....i'll take the mercedes.....

Mercury
02-28-2002, 08:45 AM
Umm, you people do realize that you can only play xbox games over the net IF the game includes the system link option. So why would MS be so worried? All the new games won't have this feature from now on and you won't be able to play those games online anyway.

oh ya, and that site STILL doesn't exist.

BlackTJ
02-28-2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Mercury
Umm, you people do realize that you can only play xbox games over the net IF the game includes the system link option. So why would MS be so worried? All the new games won't have this feature from now on and you won't be able to play those games online anyway.

oh ya, and that site STILL doesn't exist.

Why in the world would future games not have this feature? Thats like saying once online play is included in a game you no longer need any multi player. Doesn't compute, system link will still be in future games even after the Microsoft online play launches.

My bet is when games come with built in online play capabilities, you'll see sites popping up that will host those games totally different from what Gamespy is doing now, which is basically running a nationwide "lan party" via the internet.

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Kennedy
maximus, goodpoint, but my point is that if these free online xbox services and websites keep popping up itll be a whole lot harder for them to get people to pay a monthly fee for their official service. Even though MS's online world will be a whole lot better and worth the money, some people will just overlook paying for it and just play for free... It has to hurt buisness somewhat you cant compete with free!!

think of it this way

you owned a car dealership for years, with the best prices and services and warrantys around, then this guy opens up another dealership down the street selling cars for free, your gonna lose all your buisness cause no matter what kind of cool things you can give away, people will still flock to the other guy to get a free car.

just my take on it...

Great analogy...but, what if MS is selling Lamborgini's for a very reasonable price and will provide all of the maintenance and fill your gas tank every time you need to while the other dealership is giving away free Ford Pintos for free? :D

That's kind of my take on it...I want to be able to play without lag even if it means that I have to fork out some dough for it :) Again, that's just me! :D

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 11:01 AM
Well, dudes...the link works for me. Try putting it in your browser or something...it should work that way.

I received a response from an email that I sent to www.xboxconnector.com and I asked them how their technology differs from Gamespy. They told me that they have been getting a lot of positive feedback because the games don't lag which makes it more fun. Sounds good to me! :D I'll check it out this weekend

BlackTJ
02-28-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
I'll check it out this weekend

I'll hook up with you and try it anytime you want... going to download and install it tonight.