PDA

View Full Version : Got Dead Rising yet?

killerscott
08-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Anyone have Dead Rising yet? The Best Buy I work at doesn't get it in till afternoon tommarow. It could be good if i can get some reviews!

y2kash_14
08-09-2006, 04:55 AM
the reviews are looking good...10th highest rated game for the 360....

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/deadrising

i'm picking mine up tomorrow

wulkar
08-09-2006, 10:52 AM
mine is coming in today. cant wait to play it.

Heavens Gate
08-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Will have mine today. I can't wait. I didn't download the demo but I've played it at Gamecrazy and It's a game to definately take your aggression out after a hard days work. Kick A$$

Ainokeatoo
08-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Now to the other side of the story:

It's not the best really, the game is fun, somewhat, but it just gets repetitive after a while it just gets plain boring. I mean yeah, sure you can pick up almost anything and kill everyone, but really, after a while it gets boring, there's not much behind the game other than the story mode, if your connected to xbox live, the longer you last helps you go up the leaderboard. Really to me, it's only worthy of renting....

Yellowlab
08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Now to the other side of the story:

It's not the best really, the game is fun, somewhat, but it just gets repetitive after a while it just gets plain boring. I mean yeah, sure you can pick up almost anything and kill everyone, but really, after a while it gets boring, there's not much behind the game other than the story mode, if your connected to xbox live, the longer you last helps you go up the leaderboard. Really to me, it's only worthy of renting....

Have you played the full version of the game, or just the demo? Judging that your gamercard doesn't show you've played the game, I'm assuming your basing your opinion on the demo. Because the full version has a LOT more to do and has quite a variety. Repitition is definitely not one of the problems of the game! There is plenty of varied things to do from the vast variety of missions to easter egg hunting.

Heavens Gate
08-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Have you played the full version of the game, or just the demo? Judging that your gamercard doesn't show you've played the game, I'm assuming your basing your opinion on the demo. Because the full version has a LOT more to do and has quite a variety. Repitition is definitely not one of the problems of the game! There is plenty of varied things to do from the vast variety of missions to easter egg hunting.

I've been playing this game for about 4 hours now and I agree 100% with your statement. This game is NOT repetitive ocne you get into and past the first few hours. It actually has alot of depth and substance not found in other games. And oh so many ways to play and finish this game is a beauty. Not to mention the unlockable modes. Your statement rocks dude and so does this game.

:cheers:

laughs
08-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I got my greedy lil hands on a copy today. I've spent about three hours playing it so far and I think it's great. The only thing I don't like is that you're on the timer... I like to roam around and take my time with things. Besides that it's great! :cheers:

Kyle Static
08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I say take your time and enjoy, I read on IGN that you can save and choose to reset the 72 hour clock while retaining all of your newely learned abilities/current level....so take your time and just set it back when you're a zombie whoopin' machine.

laughs
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I say take your time and enjoy, I read on IGN that you can save and choose to reset the 72 hour clock while retaining all of your newely learned abilities/current level....so take your time and just set it back when you're a zombie whoopin' machine.

Hmmmmm, interesting... I'm going to have to look into that. :cheers: Kyle!

mattgame
08-09-2006, 10:45 PM
I preordered but didn't cop mine yet. I'll get it tomorrow.

Tony_Macaroni
08-10-2006, 12:48 AM
someone has got to tell me how the game is story wise and such because obv. the demo wus just one thing over and over again.

laughs
08-10-2006, 08:59 AM
someone has got to tell me how the game is story wise and such because obv. the demo wus just one thing over and over again.

I've been playing for about 4 hours and the story and characters are both really interesting. It's a hell of a lot like Dawn of the dead.... Actually, it even has a warning on the case saying that George A Romero has nothing to do with it. So yeah, there's a lot of different things going on, great characters, and the voice acting is top notch.

laughs
08-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Couple things that bother me is that damn phone! It rings every couple of minutes and you can't fight when they call you... And if you don't finish a case file in a certain amount of time, you have to basically start the whole game over again. Good thing you get to level up or this game wouldn't be so hot. Like I said earlier though, great story and awesome characters, but damn you timed games!

killerscott
08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
yeah ive got mine and played probably 4 hours. I've started over 3 times. I died twice and I killed brad which ended my game. I just figured out all the places there are to save. I am annoyed that you dont actually hear people talk except for cut scenes. (I'm hoping thats not just me.) Because you have to read that tiny font. Also it's hard for me to prioritize the missions. I will also damn the timed games!

edit: I am enjoying it though!

laughs
08-10-2006, 05:07 PM
yeah ive got mine and played probably 4 hours. I've started over 3 times. I died twice and I killed brad which ended my game. I just figured out all the places there are to save. I am annoyed that you dont actually hear people talk except for cut scenes. (I'm hoping thats not just me.) Because you have to read that tiny font. Also it's hard for me to prioritize the missions. I will also damn the timed games!

edit: I am enjoying it though!

Yes, why must they make the font so tiny?

y2kash_14
08-11-2006, 01:46 AM
the save system sucks...i wish you could save wherever you wanted....the soundtrack is done suprisingly well...everything works....and the control layout (specifically....the camera mode and aiming mode) still bothers me.

laughs
08-11-2006, 11:05 AM
Just in case anyone is wondering how to keep those convicts from respawning.

Soiler...

After you kill them, you must destroy their jeep or else they will continue to come back whenever you re-enter the yard.

ALC
08-11-2006, 11:57 AM
I picked it up last night and played a bit. My standard-def tv isn't 50" or anything but it's not small by any means, and I'm literally UNABLE to read a lot of the text from where I sit. The game is really fun but without NPC voices (like otis on the radio for instance) It's tough to know what's going on a lot.

I read on gamefaqs that setting your 360 to "wide screen" display makes it more readable. I'll try that tonight. I also read an unsubstantiated rumor that "Capcom is aware of this [the small text complaints] and might patch it" that would be excellent.

The game is sweet, but if your TV isn't uber-mega, I'd make sure you know what you're getting into before you drop money on it.

Complaints about font size aside, Laughs: how do you kill the convicts? I unloaded a whole gun into the face of one of them when their truck got stuck on a tree, but he didn't die and I didn't see a life-meter for them either.

laughs
08-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Laughs: how do you kill the convicts? I unloaded a whole gun into the face of one of them when their truck got stuck on a tree, but he didn't die and I didn't see a life-meter for them either.

I found this on another site, and it worked for me... Sorry, I don't know the shop that I got the nail guns in though.

Head to the North Mall across the park. Inside hunt around the shops that are under construction for the nail guns. You shouldn't need more than two. Go back out to the park the way you came in and the cutscene will play. Head to the trees near the Food Court and wait for the jeep to try and make a go for you.

If you stay in the tree area, the jeep should smack repeatedly into the trees, freeing up a major opportunity to nail gun the inmate on the machine gun from a safe distance.

Once he is down, nail gun the passenger, then finally the driver. Once all three are dead you can go examine the .50 Cal machine gun and dismount it. It holds about 200 rds and is extremely powerful (I used it to kill Carlito in one small burst). It is also extremely acurate (you can lightly squeeze the trigger quickly for single shot). One of the best weapons in the game!

SH4MR0CK
08-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Let me start by saying that i hate and dispise everyone of you that has this game and is playing it. Now I have a very good reason for my loathing of you dead rising owners. I preordered my copy of Dead Rising and was very excited about the game. However when I picked it up and got home it did not work. It would go to the main menu but as soon as i selected the 72 hour mode it said the disk was unreadable. Well I thought this wasnt a problem until when I went to exchange it for a new copy thats when i was told there was no extra copies there or at the other gamestop in my town. So I sit here now with my refunded 62 bucks and a at the momment useless stratagy guide untill they get a new shipment. Please give me no pitty as I watch my friendslist fill with people playing dead rising. AGGGGHH Damn you faulty game DAMN YOU!

Tony_Macaroni
08-11-2006, 04:31 PM
dude i feel for ya

y2kash_14
08-11-2006, 07:42 PM
if you still have your 62 bucks...can't you get it from somewhere else?

ALC
08-11-2006, 10:07 PM

edit: nevermind. I sorted out my own question just now at the capcom forums.

laughs
08-11-2006, 10:19 PM

so I just got home and I'm ready to play... erm... how do you load a game? It just started the game from the beginning for me, except I'm lv. 3 still :o

Yeah, the saving system sucks... If you pick save status and exit, or something like that, you end up having to start the whole game over again. I'm basically just going around now, snapping pics and killing zombies trying to level up so I have a chance at beating it. It's terrible that you have to start over from the beginning over and over though.

Mwright
08-12-2006, 01:50 AM
Let me start by saying that i hate and dispise everyone of you that has this game and is playing it. Now I have a very good reason for my loathing of you dead rising owners. I preordered my copy of Dead Rising and was very excited about the game. However when I picked it up and got home it did not work. It would go to the main menu but as soon as i selected the 72 hour mode it said the disk was unreadable. Well I thought this wasnt a problem until when I went to exchange it for a new copy thats when i was told there was no extra copies there or at the other gamestop in my town. So I sit here now with my refunded 62 bucks and a at the momment useless stratagy guide untill they get a new shipment. Please give me no pitty as I watch my friendslist fill with people playing dead rising. AGGGGHH Damn you faulty game DAMN YOU!
your not missing out at all. i just bought this game today and it was a big mistake..good thing i called eb and they are gonna fully refund it tomorrow...and for one im kinda mad because every1 mad it out to be this great game thats so much fun and only a few parts are..yes killing masses of them are fun(when you can) its timed so you cant stay there long and ur tools end up breaking..the camera angle when you try to aim is bad..no voices when in the game on the phone..the text is so small that by the time ur eye can read it it moves on.no online play and i cant stand that you just cant kill them without worthing about a clock..the save system is messed up..and the worse thing about the game is the load times..i timed it once and it was a 30 sec load..i walked for 5 secs and it loaded for 10 more secs..i dont want to spend half of the time i play spent at a loading screen..so please do not buy this game because in 2 months it will be at the bottom stack of your games..and wishing you would have waited for the post-labor day releses...one more thing...why does it take the chopper guy 72 hours to get back and how does he even know that because the guy never even said he would be coming back for sure..:cuss:

y2kash_14
08-12-2006, 03:19 AM
yeah, I highly reccomend people play the demo before buying....if you' look past the games many flaws...what it does well, it does REALLY well. Like the review in a different thread stated "this is the best shi**y game you'll ever play"

laughs
08-12-2006, 07:17 AM
I think you have to be a fan of horror/zombies in order to enjoy this one. I love the characters, story, the mall full of zombies, and the huge amount of weapons, but the load times, small text, phone conversations, the whole timing element, and crapped out save system seriously puts a dent in the fun factor. Maybe they'll improve upon these annoying things come Dead Rising 2.

y2kash_14
08-12-2006, 11:10 AM
no...i think they HAVE to improve upon on these flaws for DR2...there's no way they can get away with so many mistakes the second time around

laughs
08-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Laughs: how do you kill the convicts? I unloaded a whole gun into the face of one of them when their truck got stuck on a tree, but he didn't die and I didn't see a life-meter for them either.

Don't use the nail gun, use the UZI instead

mattgame
08-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I had to highlight the box.:rolleyes:

Go420Dawgs
08-12-2006, 06:05 PM
This game is mad fun. I took that hummer that the convicts had and ran over about 1000 zombies. Now that was fun. Theres just so much you can do in the game. :D

laughs
08-12-2006, 07:26 PM
This game is mad fun. I took that hummer that the convicts had and ran over about 1000 zombies. Now that was fun. Theres just so much you can do in the game. :D

Did you find the car and bike? In the yard, follow the wall and there is an opening. Go in there and you'll find both the car and the bike.

y2kash_14
08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Just beat the 72 hour mode.....next...overtime mode!

but first...sleep....

EDIT: Alright just beat Overtime mode....it was pretty short...anybody else see the true ending? SEQUEL!

laughs
08-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Just beat the 72 hour mode.....next...overtime mode!

but first...sleep....

EDIT: Alright just beat Overtime mode....it was pretty short...anybody else see the true ending? SEQUEL!

What level did you get up to? I've been basically just going after points so far and forgetting about the story mode. I'm up to level 18 now. Think Imma start to concentrate on the story mode now though.

y2kash_14
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
When I got the true ending...I was level 50. But it was my 4th play through...

the first play, I made it to the second boss, then decided to start over
the second play, I finished the game and got a crap ending
the third, i made it to the second boss, then decided to start over...
and the 4th i finall got the best ending and made it to level 50

laughs
08-13-2006, 08:43 PM
After playing through the game and having about 36 hours left, I can honestly say that this is the most fun I've probably ever had playing a video game. Yeah, there are a few annoying things, but aside from that it's too cool. Your character is the coolest ever, the weapon selection is rediculous, and the assortment of clothes makes the game funny as hell. I'm up to about 2,700 killed now and I'm loving it! :hail: Anyone who is into horror/zombies get it!

ALC
08-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Another thing I'm curious about but I haven't had the patience/chance to try for myself:
Is it possible to kill off every zombie in an area? For instance in the food court if I just went crazy and killed every zombie in sight would I be free to run around and/or extract survivors, or would more respawn at the other end of the area? That would make things a lot easier at night when the zombies are extra crazy.
I managed to fully clear out the long narrow tunnel that leads to the welded-shut door last night (I didn't know it was welded shut at the time, d'oh.)

laughs
08-14-2006, 03:41 PM
I think the zombies keep respawning, ALC. I've tried to do it and they seem to keep coming back. Anyway, I just finished the game and got ending C(crappy) I'm going to spoiler tag the rest, cause I'll probably give some of it away here.

Anyone get any other endings? After I killed the butcher, and gave Isabella the locket, I have no idea what to do. I got the message from Jessie and I went back there but nothing was going on there(besides the dead agents) I tried to look around the mall and see what else needed to be done, but there was no case available. I got caught by the agents, escaped about 4 or 5 times and by that time, I only had about 3 hours to spare so I made my way up to the roof and waited for the helicopter. :confused:

y2kash_14
08-14-2006, 04:47 PM
I think the zombies keep respawning, ALC. I've tried to do it and they seem to keep coming back. Anyway, I just finished the game and got ending C(crappy) I'm going to spoiler tag the rest, cause I'll probably give some of it away here.

Anyone get any other endings? After I killed the butcher, and gave Isabella the locket, I have no idea what to do. I got the message from Jessie and I went back there but nothing was going on there(besides the dead agents) I tried to look around the mall and see what else needed to be done, but there was no case available. I got caught by the agents, escaped about 4 or 5 times and by that time, I only had about 3 hours to spare so I made my way up to the roof and waited for the helicopter. :confused:

Alright, all you need to do to get Ending A...be at Carlito's hideout by 10 AM (after you discover zombie Jess) ...there should be a cutscene in which you talk to Isabella...then at exactly 10 AM...you'll see another cutscene in which the guys kill all the zombies...now talk to Izzie one more time (she'll just tell you to save yourself) and then go to the helipad and wait for the chopper and voila! You have overtime mode.

laughs
08-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Alright, all you need to do to get Ending A...be at Carlito's hideout by 10 AM (after you discover zombie Jess) ...there should be a cutscene in which you talk to Isabella...then at exactly 10 AM...you'll see another cutscene in which the guys kill all the zombies...now talk to Izzie one more time (she'll just tell you to save yourself) and then go to the helipad and wait for the chopper and voila! You have overtime mode.

Ahhh, thanks man :cheers: I'm going to have to try that one out. :)

killerscott
08-17-2006, 02:07 AM
Im just takin my time!

Lemon
08-17-2006, 09:57 AM
i have the demo...but it seems very gay to me...if a zombie latches onto your neck, what buttons do you press to get him the hell off?

laughs
08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
i have the demo...but it seems very gay to me...if a zombie latches onto your neck, what buttons do you press to get him the hell off?

Left thumbstick back and forth. Trust me, the game is awesome! :hail:

Go420Dawgs
08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Left thumbstick back and forth. Trust me, the game is awesome! :hail:
i concur. I've almost beat it.

Lemon
08-17-2006, 07:28 PM
hmm, another weird thing in the demo is that i only got to kill about 120 zombies before it just kicked me out....what's up with that?

laughs
08-17-2006, 08:46 PM
hmm, another weird thing in the demo is that i only got to kill about 120 zombies before it just kicked me out....what's up with that?

Yeah, it's a timed demo. You only get to play like 15 minutes or something.

Lemon
08-17-2006, 09:30 PM
teh gheyness. why would they make it a timed DEMO????

y2kash_14
08-17-2006, 09:31 PM
Well...most demos limit the amount of things you can do

Lemon
08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
yea...but i would just like to kill zombies untill i get eaten to death. they could've just made it secluded to just the mall, instead of a time limit imo

NiNeBReaKeR
08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
i still havnt played it yet,but it looks good

ALC
08-25-2006, 12:53 PM
yea...but i would just like to kill zombies untill i get eaten to death. they could've just made it secluded to just the mall, instead of a time limit imo

The whole game is secluded to just the mall ;)
time limited demos used to be very common practice, especially in sandbox kind of games (remember carmageddon? gta2?) It's an added incentive to buy the game and get rid of the limit :)

predatorprime
08-25-2006, 01:22 PM
The whole game operates around time limits, it makes sense that it was a time limit demo

Whisper
08-25-2006, 04:53 PM
what the ****? how come when I finished played, I saved.. I stopped playing when that dude with the RCP90 goes nuts and is trying to kill you.. I couldn't kill him despite shooting him in the head 15 times (hmmmmmmm ****ty game)... and when I went back to play later, it starts me back on the roof of the building.. I'm still where I left off level wise (2).. but when I enter the security room.. the air duct any open, i go through the door into the mall.. once again everyone is alive and door is barricaded again

**** this..

predatorprime
08-25-2006, 06:31 PM
It does that if you choose the option to save and end. Otherwise you have to load the saved game. I die all the time... its fun. I'm lvl 10 and I haven't beaten any missions yet

Whisper
08-25-2006, 07:40 PM
So.. what you're telling me is.. you have to beat this game in one sitting.. or you go back to the beginning?

predatorprime
08-25-2006, 07:43 PM
So.. what you're telling me is.. you have to beat this game in one sitting.. or you go back to the beginning?

No, you can start from your save but you lose any PP you got from when you saved and when you died

Whisper
08-25-2006, 07:52 PM
After some reading.. choosing the save and quit option is what sends you to the beginning of the game, but with your stats.

Why the **** would they put that in without saying something beside it? Last I checked, in every other game in existence.. you choose save and quit when you want to save where you are, and stop playing!

Apparently, to do that, you just turn off your system and you will go back to your last save at the couch or bathroom.. BUT GOD FORBID YOU ACTUALLY PUSH THE BUTTON THAT SAYS SAVE, BECAUSE YOU GO BACK TO THE BEGINNING.

I think they could have smoked a little less weed while finishing up the game.

predatorprime
08-25-2006, 07:55 PM
I know its bad wording for the function, but it helps a lot in that game. Once you get past the first "boss" fight there are zombies all over the place. Its a good pick up and play game. I haven't tried to beat it at all. By the time I do its going to be a cake walk because I'll be such a high level

y2kash_14
08-25-2006, 09:36 PM
yeah horrible save system....

side-note...once you gain the double lariat skill, you're pretty much untouchable. That move is amazing.