PDA

View Full Version : I have a USB cable modem... help getting on-line needed

BlackTJ
02-27-2002, 12:11 PM
Pretty much my question is in the subject... I have a USB cable modem and want to play Xbox on-line. I have run my cat-5 cable and I have a Linksys switch and Linksys NIC, neither of which are installed. The problem is my cable modem is hooked up via USB, I don't want to install all the other network stuff. Can I just plug the cat-5 from the Xbox into my other output port on my cable modem? I have a D-link cable modem.

TIA

Oh, this is my fisrt post here but I have lurked for a while and have found this board to be the most helpful.:)

X-Factor
02-27-2002, 12:17 PM
Microsoft hasn't even set up their online network yet. There will most likely be a monthly fee...:mad:

BlackTJ
02-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor
Microsoft hasn't even set up their online network yet. There will most likely be a monthly fee...:mad:

ah... okay... um, thats not what I wanted to know but thanks for the old news! ;)

I have run Xbox through GameSpys before for a friend at his house but he has a nice 1.3 ght Pentium 4 and I only have a Pent 2 350 mhz. i just don't want to go through the hassle of pulling my old modem out of my machine and installing the NIC.

Can someone answer my original question?

TIA

maneatingcow
02-27-2002, 12:32 PM
From what you described (And what I could understand....) I dont think you would be able to. Another method you could use is to purchase a usb to ethernet setup... but it can go for $50...

In my opinion, you are better off installing the Nic...

BlackTJ
02-27-2002, 12:35 PM
Wouldn't I then need the opposite... an Ethernet to USB adapter?

l Maximus l
02-27-2002, 12:44 PM
Black...if you have an Ethernet port on your computer already, and if you are not using it because your Broadband modem is hooked up to your USB port, then, all you need is to run a CAT 5 Crossover (make sure it's a crossover cable, not a patch cable) directly to your XBox and that's all you need! :)