PDA

View Full Version : Demo's on Live Marketplace

predatorprime
08-24-2006, 10:25 AM
According to Major Nelson there are new demos for Just cause and Test Drive on now

laughs
08-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Cool! Welcome to the site, and thanks for the heads up. I just tried to download "Just Cause" and live is screwing up on me... I shall try again tonight. :cheers:

Lemon
08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
i can't even log into live anymore :(
when i try the Test Connection thing everything works fine, but i try to log in and it won't let me :(

laughs
08-24-2006, 12:02 PM
i can't even log into live anymore :(
when i try the Test Connection thing everything works fine, but i try to log in and it won't let me :(

OMG!!!! It's spreading!!!! It went from Iowa to Newfoundland!

predatorprime
08-24-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm at work (hard at work, I know)... I'll have to try when I get home.
Just Cause looks cool, I'll be pissed if I don't get to try it tonight.

Lemon
08-24-2006, 12:25 PM
the trailer of Just Cause didn't look very appealing to me..i watched it like a week ago, but i remember some guy jumping out of a plane and using a parachute to land...

killerscott
08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
im downloading just cause right now. ill let you know.

mrmp3
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I dloaded the demo the other day (conincidentally it finished exactly after me and my brother finished a game of FIFA). The game has it's perk, and I didn't play too far into the demo (I completed eliminating the 2nd target and got a shotgun, blasted someone, then stopped) but I honestly don't think the game will be too good.

The big selling point, at least what I saw from previews, was these over the top stunts. They do all look cool (like hopping out of your moving car onto the roof and onto another car), but to an extent I'd appreciate it if they weren't so damn easy to pull off. You start off freefalling, with the option to deploy a parachute. I merely pushed the stick forward and my guy flew towards the car, I pressed Y or B (forgot) and I was on top of the car with no damage to myself (meaning my freefalling speed stopped and then it changed the camera angle and my guy just plopped up right on the roof, almost like a cutscene, oh yea you also don't have to do anything to keep your balance) If you don't have to gauge speed and you can be within like 15 ft. of your target and just press a button, it isn't challenging and honestly, wasn't very much fun after the 1st time I did it.

I kind of like the whole revolution overthrow the government storyline. I was a big fan of the original Red Faction and I liked the whole join the revolution storyline so its like that cept not in the future and more realistic (along with feasible considering a lot of countries in South America aren't quite content with some of their governments). However, the fact there was no voice acting in the cutscenes (not sure if this is being added in the final version) really doesn't help drive the storyline.

What does kind of appeal to me though is the gunplay. It's reminds me very much of Dead to Rights, maybe it's the reticule or it's the infinite ammo double pistols, but it's solid. I think it gives you a better sense of you actually blew somebody away then GTA (in case you don't know, GTA has a square box which appears on someone when you lock on to them and they just buckle to their knees and fall forward with some fairly pathetic blood effects). Don't think there was a dive button though which was kind of a selling point of Dead to Rights. One problem I've had though is with the auto-target. Didn't look at the options so maybe this could've been turned off but pretty much if you move your reticule over a guy it locks on to him. There is a switch target button but it's hard for it to be effective. I'll give you a scenario. Your 2nd target you have to destroy some barricades (which btw you can throw grenades then lock onto them and shoot in mid-air). There are a couple guys behind the barricade. Since it autolocks, you can't aim at their heads because by default it pretty much locks on and you shoot at their torso. Alright so there's a guy in a tower with a turret next to it so you hit the switch target button. Most of the time it got caught in a loop between the guys behind the barricade and the vehicle. I'm almost 100% positive it was the vehicle and not more enemies because it appeared to be targeting the wheels, which would make sense so you can shoot from your car or disable a moving car easily. But that's the problem, if everything is so easy, then there is no challenge. Anywayz, what you have to do is aim the camera without the reticule (cuz it's autolocked to someone else and doesn't seem to unlock unless you look 90 degrees to the left or right of you) at the guy in the turret and keep hitting the autotarget button. The game picks up on it but not instantly, takes like 3 button presses, but still it's annoying. However, if I were to say it would've been the difference between life and death, I'd be lying. My health barely took a hit the whole time. Also, unless your autolocked (meaning if you just have the + reticule on him and not the O reticule) you don't hit the enemy. Now it has a little to do with distance cuz you only lock onto enemies in a certain radius but some of the enemies I aimed at seemed more than within reach of easily being hit.

The opening cutscene also makes the game look very bland, I'd almost go as far to say as current-gen. Once you play though, the particle effects are pretty good and the foliage IMO looked pretty damn good. Car models look good enough, but I'm not too impressed with character models.

Car physics aren't that great either. First off, you can't flip'em. Maybe you can flip'em upside down, but they don't stay down, they auto roll over. I hit plenty of cars onto their sides and they just rolled back up. Also you don't even need to be going that fast and you can send cars pretty far. Not like flying, but say a 10 ft. charge in real life might be a fender bender with a lil jolt whereas in this the car that gets hit reacts like it slapped on it's e-brake doing 80.

Give it a shot but it doesn't seem like it'll be that good.

Tony_Macaroni
08-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Welcome To Xba Predator

Shawn-XBA
08-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Welcome to XBA Predator!

I downloaded Just Cause earlier and I really didn't care for it. Seemed a little to easy for me, I was shot at least 20-30 times and I never died. And the handling of the vehicles is a little touchy.

killerscott
08-25-2006, 01:20 AM
this isnt your regular test drive... Its freeform. you are on an island and there are other people on the same server just driving around if you find a person you can challange them to a race. You get to make your own course fromt he existing road... you can buy and trade cars and motorcycles, and you can join clubs or just chat and screw around... its very wierd. Seems alright...

edit: and i thought just cause was fun but yeah i could not die! skydiving and parasailing is fun though.

Batman_wanna_be
09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Do you guys know when they are going to realse another demo of a game? I really like the fact you can download demos for free I think that is a great idea on M$ part.