PDA

View Full Version : Presenting the new HD-DVD Drive for the 360!!!!

mattgame
09-19-2006, 08:32 PM
http://gear.ign.com/articles/733/733328p1.html

Check it out

Discuss:cheers:

ll Mista GT ll
09-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Already seen it around the same time of E3! :p I'm not paying 40 bucks for a movie, so I'm not supporting HD-DVD. Sorry Microsoft, but you wont get me with this one. I will buy however a HD-DVD Burner for my PC. 200 bucks isn't worth it. Buy 200 dollars worth of dvds.

vman
09-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Already seen it around the same time of E3! :p I'm not paying 40 bucks for a movie, so I'm not supporting HD-DVD. Sorry Microsoft, but you wont get me with this one. I will buy however a HD-DVD Burner for my PC. 200 bucks isn't worth it. Buy 200 dollars worth of dvds.
here, here! :cheers:

mattgame
09-19-2006, 09:03 PM
I am not sure what I should do. Will there be a crapload of HD-DVDs coming out any time soon?

ll Mista GT ll
09-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Probably a few but not many. I hope this fails. Less money wasted. We're not ready for this. Maybe in a few more years.

l Maximus l
09-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if my XBox 360 console and the new peripheral are required to be powered on at the same time!?

My concern is unnecessary wear and tear on the XBox 360 console since the HD-DVD peripheral is a seperate unit. If the main console can remain off or in a stand-by mode that doesn't cause unnecessary wear and tear, I don't see why I wouldn't buy one.

Normally I prefer to watch current DVD movies on my DVD Player instead of my XBox 360 because of wear and tear issues. In other words, I play my 360 for games and my DVD player is used for movies only.

It'll be interesting how things unfold and more accurate reviews are written.

CrazyCougar
09-19-2006, 11:59 PM
2 things come to mind when thinking about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. That would be....

BetaMax and Laser Disc.

I seriously dont see this catching on to quickly and they could both see the same fate as the forementioned. I sure wont be supporting it any time in the near future. DVD is just fine for me right now.

mattgame
09-20-2006, 07:02 PM
It's going to be a tight race. My vote is HD-DVD just for the price difference alone.

Highlite23
09-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I still think HD will win in the long run, but I'm with Maxy...My console is for games and my DVD player is for movies.

Infraredragon
09-23-2006, 09:03 PM
It's obvious that either HD or Blu-Ray will become a standard in all our homes, just as DVD's are now and VHS's were before. But as previously stated, it won't (and shouldn't) happen anytime soon.

mattgame
09-23-2006, 09:37 PM
But it's here already. Sooner than later we are going to have to choose between the two.

Mwright
09-23-2006, 11:29 PM
But it's here already. Sooner than later we are going to have to choose between the two.
no...we are not... i know there is still a large market of people that dont even have HD tvs....i have a feeling that both of these things are gonna fail...from the past u could always use ur same tv with whatever came out but this is the only time that u have to buy a brand new more $$$ tv..its like saying if u wanted to get new rims on ur car ur gonna have to go out and buy a whole new car...bottom line...these two things are way ahead of their time.

ChessPieceFace
09-24-2006, 12:54 PM
not so far into the future cable companies will make HD tv standard supposely by 2008.

ShadedNine
09-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if my XBox 360 console and the new peripheral are required to be powered on at the same time!?

My concern is unnecessary wear and tear on the XBox 360 console since the HD-DVD peripheral is a seperate unit. If the main console can remain off or in a stand-by mode that doesn't cause unnecessary wear and tear, I don't see why I wouldn't buy one.

Normally I prefer to watch current DVD movies on my DVD Player instead of my XBox 360 because of wear and tear issues. In other words, I play my 360 for games and my DVD player is used for movies only.

It'll be interesting how things unfold and more accurate reviews are written.

The 360 won't be able to remain completely unpowered, as a great deal of processing is still required to decrypt and decode the video stream. That's why the drive is so cheap compared to other available models (you've already bought the fancy bits in your 360).

Having said that, if they implement it right, the HD and DVD-ROM shouldn't power up or spin during video playback, thus the only other part that suffers from wear & tear would be the fans, which hopefully wouldn't have to run at full tilt.

The processor and memory are unaffected by run-time (in fact, not that it's an issue at all, but it's better for them if the system is on 24/7, maintaining a constant temperature).