PDA

View Full Version : Networking several Xbox's

Crueltiming
10-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Hello,

Interested in linking several Xbox consoles to play lan games. No internet connection...just 4 consoles on a network. Is it possible to network 4 consoles using a hub..no pc's or internet connect...just the hub, cables and consoles. Is this possible? If it is possible(seems like it would be) do I have to make any network settings or would they all just plug and play...or am I just dreaming/wishing that this is possible? I have searched several sites but they all show how to network to a pc and internet...we just want 4 consoles. I am just not sure about hosting the game etc.....
Any/all help/advice appreciated

Respectfully

Crueltiming
Mesa, Az.

wulkar
10-06-2006, 05:00 AM
i think it should work with a hub.

and dont bother signing your posts.

vman
10-06-2006, 08:53 AM
it def should work. its called a LAN (local area network)

Crueltiming
10-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanx for the input...whats the problem with signing my posts?? Dang dude...take a downer....something like that shouldnt even be worth a comment....

scozzard
10-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanx for the input...whats the problem with signing my posts?? Dang dude...take a downer....something like that shouldnt even be worth a comment....

Don't worry dude, I've noticed if you're noob to the site the guys with all the posts tend to pay out you out for anything they can think of

I got burnt for writing '4x2' instead of '2x4', i felt stink as

:cheers:

ll Mista GT ll
10-13-2006, 06:03 AM

Bro, people wanna make you rough at XBA. My first months/years at XBA were hell, I kept saying I was going to quit because there were so many ***gots, but I grew to like the place man. Its nice you have the thought of signing your posts, but its really not needed :p

Welcome to XBA, and getting beat up is the fun part ;)

Not Yellow
10-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Bro, people wanna make you rough at XBA. My first months/years at XBA were hell, I kept saying I was going to quit because there were so many ***gots, but I grew to like the place man. Its nice you have the thought of signing your posts, but its really not needed :p

Welcome to XBA, and getting beat up is the fun part ;)

Who would give..Xboxfreakkid a hard time?;)
:hump:

Reclaimer
10-15-2006, 06:13 PM
For the love of God, help the guy and stay on topic.

Straight from Microsoft after a few seconds of googling:

Connect more than two Xbox consoles for system link play
Note To connect more than two Xbox consoles for system link play, you must have an Ethernet cable for each console and a network hub, a switch, or a router. Contact with your local computer retailer for more information about networking hardware.

To connect more than two Xbox consoles for system link play:
1. Connect each Xbox console to a separate TV.
2. Connect a straight-through Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port of each console and then connect the opposite end of each cable to the network hub, the switch, or the router. Make sure that you plug the hub, the switch, or the router in the power outlet and that you turn on the device.
3. Follow the specific game instructions for multiplayer gameplay to start playing your game.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818370

You can do this wirelessly such as by using the Xbox wi-fi adapters or the linksys console adapters by setting the Xboxes to "ad-hoc" network mode and put each Xbox on it's own wi-fi adapter.

Crueltiming
10-15-2006, 10:04 PM
I found the info after I had posted....didnt occur to me to use google, had just used bookmarks I had acquired over time (Gamespy and others and didnt find any answers). Thank you for the info/help.

Respectfully

(Signing because I choose to) :hump:
Crueltiming
Mesa, Az

scozzard
10-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Good on ya mate

:cheers:

l Maximus l
10-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Console to console (only two XBoxes) all you need is a Crossover cable. However, when you are hooking up more than two XBoxes, you'll need a HUB, Switch, or a Router, and you must use Ethernet (patch) cables, not crossover cables. If you are not sure, they look exactly alike; however, have different results, so, it's important to know the difference.

I just played at a 4 XBox LAN party a couple weeks ago. We played Halo 1 (best System Link game, IMO) and we had a blast. Just select "System Link" on each console and you're all in!

And yes, it's simply plug and play. I strongly suggest hooking up all of the XBoxes to the HUB, Switch, or Router first, and then plugging in the power to the HUB (or Switch/Router) afterwards. In my experience, if you plug in the HUB first, and then plug in all of the ethernet cables, sometimes it won't work. The HUB needs to be "restarted" by simply unplugging it...waiting a few moments and plugging it back in...wait until all the lights are lit and it should work flawlessly.

I've played in 16 man LANs several times...it's the best, especially when everyone else is as equally into the experience as you are.

Also, I suggest not using an ethernet cable longer than 50 feet - there seems to be lag issues to that console due to all of the data being transferred. It's not terrible, but, it's not the most fun either.