PDA

View Full Version : Halo + Gamespy + Help

Chr0nik
02-28-2002, 01:04 PM
I am planning on trying to hookup to gamespy this evening for some multiplayer Halo. I know I will get my ass kicked by the hardcore players, but I am in it more for the fun.

I just need some help in how to get set up .

I am assuming I just plug my cable modem to the ethernet port of the Xbox, but after that I do not know what to do?

Can anyone help me. Do I need to sign up for anything?

My online name will hopefully be : Chronik, if not it will have to be

CaptainFartAss.

aronx
02-28-2002, 01:09 PM
Blue screen of death rocks!! I've been waiting for it to happen on my XBox.

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Chronik
I am planning on trying to hookup to gamespy this evening for some multiplayer Halo. I know I will get my ass kicked by the hardcore players, but I am in it more for the fun.

I just need some help in how to get set up .

I am assuming I just plug my cable modem to the ethernet port of the Xbox, but after that I do not know what to do?

Can anyone help me. Do I need to sign up for anything?

My online name will hopefully be : Chronik, if not it will have to be

CaptainFartAss.

FINALLY!! You're getting on-line! Good choice, buddy :) I will give you step by step instructions in doing this...it's actually pretty easy...and, keep in mind that I'm a networking novice and even I figured this out with the info from people here!

But, I must say, first, that not everyone is hardcore on Halo...in fact, there are a lot of newbies, so, you should have a good time kicking some ass!

Okay, this is what is required:

1. Broadband Modem (Cable, DSL, etc)
2. Three standard CAT 5 patch cables (NOT Cat 5 Crossovers...they looks the same, but, won't work)
3. A HUB or Switch (I recommend a 10/100 HUB or Switch)
4. You need to download the two free sofwares from Gamespy.com. One is called "Gamespy Arcade Software" and the other is called "Gamespy Tunnel Software". Here is a link: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml

Here's how you hook it up:

1. From your Broadband Modem, connect one end of the first CAT 5 cable into the modem and the other end into the port on the HUB (or Switch) marked "Uplink".

2. From Port 1, connect a second CAT 5 cable to it and the other end going into your Ethernet port on your computer (it's the only input that it can plug into). This will give you back your internet access.

3. From Port 2, plug the last CAT 5 cable into it and the other end into your XBox. A green LED light will turn on right above the input...it should, anyway.

That's it!!!

Chr0nik
02-28-2002, 01:22 PM
I will try it tonight, is there a specific time that you guys get together to play?

It would be fun playing against my fellow Xbox addicts.

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Chronik
I will try it tonight, is there a specific time that you guys get together to play?

It would be fun playing against my fellow Xbox addicts.

Dude, I'm on in the evenings quite often...and you can find me anytime during the weekends, practically.

My Gamespy user name is [XBA[-Maximus (really easy to find with the XBA sign!)

Also, you can see my user name in my signature and others that are on are doing the same. Also, Maneatingcow, one of our amazing XBA moderators, actually created a site for XBA members that play on-line. it's a list of whose on-line and when you can normally find them :D This is proof that XBA has EVERYTHING together and well thought out!!! :D

Also, while using Gamespy, you have a buddy list...and you will see it when you get acquited to the Gamespy Arcade software...it's so easy. And, once the buddy list is created, you can add more and stuff and it will tell you who is on.

I play with TY quite often (great fun!!), and [XBA]-Xtopia, [XBA]-Fanofslipknot and others... Just get on-line!! You have no idea what you have been missing!!! I gaurantee that you will put all of your games on the shelf and only play Halo for a long while!! :D

Xtopia
02-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Man Max! Your are so nice! But seriously save that file to word or a notebook. Everyday u type that same message!

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by xtopia
Man Max! Your are so nice! But seriously save that file to word or a notebook. Everyday u type that same message!

lol...Yeah, sounds like a good idea! Hey, man...this is the way I look at it: Anything to get more XBA members on Gamespy!

I'm trying to work on Ninja Scroll... The dude has NOOOO idea what he's missing!! :D Help me out, Xtopia! :D

Xtopia
02-28-2002, 02:07 PM
I asked Ninja yesterday if he had broadband...he never responded:mad: But if he does have broadband....why doesn't he get online? It is easy!! Esp. if u already have broadband! And your right the more XBA peeps playin online the better!

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 02:08 PM
I asked Ninja yesterday if he had broadband...he never responded:mad: But if he does have broadband....why doesn't he get online? It is easy!! Esp. if u already have broadband! And your right the more XBA peeps playin online the better!

Exactly! But, we seriously need to figure out what the problem is when you are trying to join my game or I am trying to join yours. That really puzzles me!! Maybe we can find TY and he can create a game and have both of us join his...that was awesome when we did that last time!! :D

Xtopia
02-28-2002, 03:55 PM
aight max, listen up! I uninstalled gamepy arcade (long story) and then reinstalled it. So...I lost my buddy list:mad: But...ill re-add u and hope every thing is normal...u should take me off your buddy list and re-add me also...k? hope it works...cause that one time with u, me and ty was sweet:p

Razor70
02-28-2002, 04:27 PM
How much does it cost to play on Gamespy? Isn't there a monthly fee to get on? I would hook up and play with ya all if it was free...let me know thanks.

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 04:28 PM
aight max, listen up! I uninstalled gamepy arcade (long story) and then reinstalled it. So...I lost my buddy list:mad: But...ill re-add u and hope every thing is normal...u should take me off your buddy list and re-add me also...k? hope it works...cause that one time with u, me and ty was sweet:p

Awesome, dude! I'll do it first thing when I get home! :)

l Maximus l
02-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Razor70
How much does it cost to play on Gamespy? Isn't there a monthly fee to get on? I would hook up and play with ya all if it was free...let me know thanks.

Razor!!!! Yes!! It's free, buddy! Technically, you could pay the $20 fee if you don't want to watch occasional commercial ads...but, it's hardly a distraction! Just get on! It's free!

You have to have Broadband (Cable, DSL, etc), a 10/100 HUB, and three Category 5 patch cables and you're set! :D Just get on-line! You have NO IDEA what you are missing! :)

Razor70
02-28-2002, 04:44 PM
Dude going to Wal-mart right now to get the hub and cat 5's. Can't wait to play along...all this time I thought I was going to have to pay to play...coolness.

Xtopia
02-28-2002, 05:07 PM
SWEEEEEEEEET! More XBA members playing on gamespy! Razor, download gamespy tunnel and arcade...and make your name like so: [XBA]-Razor or something to that effect! that way we can all recognize you! Also add your gamespy id to your sig like me and max!!!!!!!!:D

Razor70
02-28-2002, 08:27 PM
Man oh man! You guys didn't warn me how much hubs were! Geez! The cheapest one I found around here was $74. I am going to a EB tomorrow to trade some games and I hope to pick one up there. Wish me luck. Anyone know where I can maybe find a cheaper one? Will EB have one cheaper?

Azazel
02-28-2002, 08:34 PM
I have a great Netgear 4 port hub, that is compatible with everything. It was only $49.99 at Best Buy. Keep a look out for better prices!

Razor70
02-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Well the town I am going to tomorrow does have a Best Buy. Maybe I will pop into there and check it out too. Man I want online tonight though. Anyone got $74 I could borrow? LOL just kidding.

Hey by the way...can someone tell me what you do when you play online? I mean what games are there to play and stuff, and what mostly you play when you are on? Thanks.

techie
03-01-2002, 12:21 AM
You should think about spending your money on a cable/dsl router that has switched ports. Comp USA has a linksys Cable/DSL router with 4 switched ports on sale for $79.99 through Saturday. I'm picking up one so I can get my Xbox online.

Chr0nik
03-01-2002, 01:07 PM
I am being prompted to enter my credit card information to download gamespy arcade, they say there is a charge of 20$$.

Is this right, or am I clicking on the wrong section?