PDA

View Full Version : It was bound to happen...Gears vs. Halo

y2kash_14
11-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Now that we've all had a chance to play Gears of War...what are your thoughts on Microsoft's new killer-app? Does Epic beat out Bungie in awesomeness? Has the tactical third-person shooter surpassed the fast-paced first-person shooter?

Please none of that "they can't be compared to each other because they are like comparing apples and oranges." Because really, it's more like comparing red apples and green apples.

To me, I'd have to say that I enjoy Gears of War more than I did both Halo games. I'm glad we have a new #1 franchise. I see myself still playing the multiplayer for quite some time. I think that this is the game the Perfect Dark Zero should have been. The cover system in Gears is pretty much the same as it was in PDZ, but they make so much more use out of it in Gears of War.

FuNkY mOnK
11-11-2006, 08:36 AM
The comparison i could make between the two are, Gears is like reading a hard cover novel and Halo an action comic.

vman
11-11-2006, 10:50 AM
well, i have yet to play GoW but from the videos I've seen, I know that it can easily surpass Halo 2 in the MP department.

However, nothing will ever come close to Halo:CE 8v8 LAN games every weekend for 8-10 hours.

Mwright
11-11-2006, 11:49 AM
it does not even come close to the halo 2 mp online...gears of war may be one of the worst online games iv seen lately..the only plus side is u can take a guest online with you.i hate to say it but i tend to buy a game off of its mp than its sp just because i play the mp months and months later which makes paying 60 bucks for the game not seem so bad..

FatBox
11-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I haven't played Gears yet but all my friends say the online sucks ass and they all came right back to Halo. Gears didn't last long.

l Maximus l
11-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I've only played 2 games on multiplayer so far and I've played on-line co-op on the Campaign. I can easily say that the campaign is better on Gears of War compared to Halo and Halo 2 (definately Halo 2, no question) but close to Halo 1 from a fun factor. Graphically, GoW is superior to both, gameplay-wise, they are comparable, sound wise - GoW (no question), immersiveness - GoW.

As of right now and from very little multiplayer I've played with GoW (and not knowing the maps like the back of my hand that I do with Halo 1 & 2), I would say that Halo 1 has the best multiplayer of all time. But, from the very little GoW multiplayer that I've played and compared to Halo 2's multiplayer (which I've played a lot of), I would say that I enjoy GoW more. I can't stand Halo 2 because it screwed up literally everything that made Halo 1 so great.

I figure, once I get to know every GoW like the back of my hand, I will be playing it a lot. I just want to beat GoW on Insane first just knowing that I did it. I did the same with Halo 1 on Legendary - I never beat Halo 2 on Legendary because I hated the campaign.

predatorprime
11-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I love the multiplay in this game. Its...wait for it.... original. Of course I mean that because of the way you have to play. I swore off FPS online games because gayasses and their circle strafing. Halo blows online because the way most people play. Sorry to break it to people but it you circle strafe in real combat you get killed but in stupid online FPS it rewards you for your retardedness and makes you good. This being said I will buy Halo 3. I will also probably still be playing GoW because its the thinking mans action shooter

Dark Shift
11-11-2006, 08:53 PM
http://www.antiochdistrictlibrary.org/child/images/red-apple-orchard.jpg and http://www.douglasschneider.com/images/TreeRipe_Orange.jpg

....I couldn't resist ;)

predatorprime
11-11-2006, 09:43 PM
To l Maximus l,
I wish you luck one beating the game on insane...its supposed to be almost impossible. Multiplayer is great in Gears. Like I said before its a Thinking Mans action game.

y2kash_14
11-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I can't believe everyone here is downing the multiplayer in Gears of War....I like to so much better than Halo and its mindless circle strafing/jumping showdowns.

predatorprime
11-11-2006, 11:22 PM
I can't believe everyone here is downing the multiplayer in Gears of War....I like to so much better than Halo and its mindless circle strafing/jumping showdowns.

YAAA!!! someone actually agrees with me that circle strafing is stupid :hardcore:

cybrdude
11-12-2006, 03:57 PM
I voted for GEARS only because it is the game to have right now... Both games are great and comparing them is NOT fair as their gameplay mechanics are SO different.

Later..

l Maximus l
11-12-2006, 10:03 PM
To l Maximus l,
I wish you luck one beating the game on insane...its supposed to be almost impossible. Multiplayer is great in Gears. Like I said before its a Thinking Mans action game.

Yeah, I read that, too...but, I'm already halfway through Insane and my buddy and I are not having any problem with it. In fact, we are cruising through it much faster than I thought. I takes more time than it did on Casual, but, it's very possible.

After I beat it on Insane with my buddy, I want to go through it again by myself.

J4320
11-12-2006, 11:29 PM
It's nowhere near almost impossible (at least when you're playing with a buddy). The hardest part on insane for me so far is the part where you have to drive the vehicle and shoot the bats. It us like 25 minutes to get it done in insane mode. You have to memorize where the bats come out and shoot them when they're still in a little pack.

necromancer
11-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Gears of War multiplayer is like everyone on the development team each taking a massive dump, and then smearing their steaming feces all over everything they've accomplished in that game.

It is the most unforgiving multiplayer game I have ever played, and seems to be targeting extremely hardcore players who do nothing but sit around all day and practice. There is no place for the casual gamer who may play only two or three times a week. Upon entering a match, they will be summarily dispatched by one of those exploding arrows shot into their chest from 500 yards downwind. Seriously, at least Halo gave the player more than one freaking chance to try to kill someone, Gears of War is more like. "Hey aren't these graphics great!? Wow, I'm having fun! $h17! I died! Well I guess I'll sit around for ten minutes watching my teammates hide from the enemy." God dammit! And when you hit quick match, and then hit refresh, it finds the same damn match! Over and over and over again! GRRARRRR! It sucks! Even the Locust agree, when they complete a perfect reload they hiss ",SUUckss AAasss!"

Although I will say that the single player is just as much fun as Halo singleplayer.

y2kash_14
11-16-2006, 11:26 PM
Gears of War multiplayer is like everyone on the development team each taking a massive dump, and then smearing their steaming feces all over everything they've accomplished in that game.

It is the most unforgiving multiplayer game I have ever played, and seems to be targeting extremely hardcore players who do nothing but sit around all day and practice. There is no place for the casual gamer who may play only two or three times a week. Upon entering a match, they will be summarily dispatched by one of those exploding arrows shot into their chest from 500 yards downwind. Seriously, at least Halo gave the player more than one freaking chance to try to kill someone, Gears of War is more like. "Hey aren't these graphics great!? Wow, I'm having fun! $h17! I died! Well I guess I'll sit around for ten minutes watching my teammates hide from the enemy." God dammit! And when you hit quick match, and then hit refresh, it finds the same damn match! Over and over and over again! GRRARRRR! It sucks! Even the Locust agree, when they complete a perfect reload they hiss ",SUUckss AAasss!"

Although I will say that the single player is just as much fun as Halo singleplayer.

i can't agree, because i am awesome at this game. :cheers:

thatdude222
11-18-2006, 07:06 PM

so they should cater to n00bs? like in halo 2? oh wait, halo 2 multiplayer sucked, i forgot.

y2kash_14
11-18-2006, 10:06 PM
i'm gonna have to agree with that.

The multiplayer is awesome in Gears of War...I can't believe people down the multiplayer because it has a learning curve. If you're a noob and try and rush down the opposing team, yeah you'll die and wait, which is more motivation to play smart. Gears of War multiplayer simply owns.

d SolidSnake b
07-29-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to go with Halo on this one. Gears would be just as good too but the glitches kill the game.

FatBox
07-29-2007, 11:38 PM
i'm gonna have to agree with that.

The multiplayer is awesome in Gears of War...I can't believe people down the multiplayer because it has a learning curve. If you're a noob and try and rush down the opposing team, yeah you'll die and wait, which is more motivation to play smart. Gears of War multiplayer simply owns.

Thanks for reviving this. :)

And Halo 2 doesn't have a learning curve? I'm not sure if you knew but strafing while shooting in Halo makes it easier to aim on your target and it makes you harder to hit at the same time. The game also requires lots of teamwork and map/weapon control. I've played plenty of Gears of War and the multiplayer takes no teamwork at all, which can be good in some cases, but what is the point in playing if you don't have to master the team aspect of the game?

RockTheCasba
07-30-2007, 12:08 PM
im going to go with halo because it is what sold the original xbox in the beginning. and i love halo and all my memories of all the lan parites and such.

mitchrules1
07-31-2007, 09:07 PM
halo...

wulkar
07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
im going with rainbow 6 is better then both.

Ainokeatoo
07-31-2007, 10:10 PM
can we pick neither? because I think rsv pwns both.... anyways i'd have to say halo because gow didn't have spawns online and I am usually like a walking sheet of hard steel armor meaning I lay cover fire while everyone runs and gets into position thus making me the first person killed x.x"

OppiumNitrates
08-06-2007, 03:40 PM
well, i have yet to play GoW but from the videos I've seen, I know that it can easily surpass Halo 2 in the MP department.

Wow all that from just looking at the video and not playing the game . . . so how exactly can you have such an opinion without accually playing the game?

l Maximus l
08-06-2007, 05:48 PM
OppiumNitrates! Dude, it's good to see you again, brother.

By the way, I think vman was simply venting about how much he can't stand Halo 2. It happens, especially when comparing it to Halo 1. But, you know the rest of the story.

I almost hate to say it, but, Halo 2 has grown on me significantly. It stills falls short of the fun factor that Halo 1 has, the gameplay, and nearly everything else, but, Halo 2 is still the best XBox Live game out there, IMO. Besides, I may as well as get used to it since Halo 3 is around the corner.

But, anyway, it's good to see you, brother Oppi!

Conchord
08-07-2007, 04:59 AM
I rented Gears of War, played all the way through the single-player, and watched a friend play multiplayer... I really think the game is over-hyped.

I personally have more fun on Vegas online than I think I would on Gears.

kenji
08-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I loved Gears of War's single player game, especially doing it co-op with my friends and brother. I wanted to try Insane on GoW, and on Halo 2 I didn't even remotely feel like doing it on Legendary because the campaign didn't interest me at all.

That being said, I've spent soooooo much time on Halo 2 multiplayer, from LAN to Live. It's fun and the big games I have with my friends are some great memories. I still haven't fully explored GoW multiplayer yet, but seeing how I'm the only one with it among my friends, I don't play Live on GoW that much.

GoW got my vote though because of the originality and realistic feel of the game.

Kortiz
08-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Halo multi sucks to me...but so does GoW multi...

That arguement for me is a moot point because both suck, imho.

Co-op mode is hella fun, though with GoW. I never did play Halo2 Co-op because everyone was playing multiplayer mode....

Singleplayer mode, GoW by far.

I voted GoW because I actually like the singleplayer mode more than Halo/halo2's single player mode.

When it comes to multi...gaming with RS3/Vegas kicks all sorts of ass.

TheCovenant
08-12-2007, 04:45 PM
i had a lot of fun with halo 2 multiplayer. im having fun with gears right now, but i stillplay halo 2 mp fom time to time. Both campaigns were pretty cool to me, i enjoyed both mythos. both had awkward plot points and endings. I guess just cause halo 2 has passed the test of time, and gears is yet to face off against halo 3, i guess we'll have to see how gears fairs. for now, halo for me:confused: .