PDA

View Full Version : 360-PS3 Graphics comparison

laughs
12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Check it out...

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&click=topslot

HaZarD SFD
12-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Ok after going through all the pictures with a minimum of 10 mouse movements.

The PS3 is equal to the XboX 360 But does a bit (Not that much) but a bit better. There
rendering distance is further. (Look at the NFS car select screen) the lighing shows the
further rendering distance. Particle effects at long range are a bit better but not by much,
they mostly took some out to make it look better (COD Smoke rising from camp look at it).
Their reflections are better but again not by much (NFS screen look at the Eclipse at
starting line, you will notice a bit more reflection. NBA screens the Xbox does better with
the floor, I mean on the 360 it looks a hell of alot more real.)

IMHO (dont flame me you sony freaks) I think that the XboX 360 sits here _ and the PS3 sits
here -. Literally its not that much better if any. But (dont flame me 360 fans) if devs get time
on their hands to make a game take full effect of PS3's chips they might be able to pull it off.

I want to see a comparison of a game that isnt ported between consoles. There will be
one out there that is made for 360 and one for PS3 of the same title someday and that
will be the true test. When you pit game developers for the same game to make it
for 2 of the biggest consoles thats where you will get to see all that they can do. Seriously
they are like this far apart _-. OOOHHHH Sony has a bit better reflections and renedering
distance. WHO CARES XboX has a better live system, Backwards compatibilty, and overall
better service from the company that makes it. (ah crap I flamed)

laughs
12-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Ok after going through all the pictures with a minimum of 10 mouse movements.

The PS3 is equal to the XboX 360 But does a bit (Not that much) but a bit better. There
rendering distance is further. (Look at the NFS car select screen) the lighing shows the
further rendering distance. Particle effects at long range are a bit better but not by much,
they mostly took some out to make it look better (COD Smoke rising from camp look at it).
Their reflections are better but again not by much (NFS screen look at the Eclipse at
starting line, you will notice a bit more reflection. NBA screens the Xbox does better with
the floor, I mean on the 360 it looks a hell of alot more real.)

IMHO (dont flame me you sony freaks) I think that the XboX 360 sits here _ and the PS3 sits
here -. Literally its not that much better if any. But (dont flame me 360 fans) if devs get time
on their hands to make a game take full effect of PS3's chips they might be able to pull it off.

I want to see a comparison of a game that isnt ported between consoles. There will be
one out there that is made for 360 and one for PS3 of the same title someday and that
will be the true test. When you pit game developers for the same game to make it
for 2 of the biggest consoles thats where you will get to see all that they can do. Seriously
they are like this far apart _-. OOOHHHH Sony has a bit better reflections and renedering
distance. WHO CARES XboX has a better live system, Backwards compatibilty, and overall
better service from the company that makes it. (ah crap I flamed)

I have to disagree with you there... I think the 360 screens were more impressive than the PS3's. Both systems will get better as developers are able to harness more of the systems power, but this round goes to the 360.

Need for Speed Carbon: Winner: 360
Call of Duty 3: Winner: 360
Madden 07: Winner: 360
Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Tie
NBA 2K7: Winner: PS3
Fight Night Round 3: Winner 360
Tony Hawk's Project 8: Winner 360
Tiger Woods PGA 07: Winner PS3

360:5 WINS
PS3:2 WIN
1 TIE

From looking at those screens, I honestly can't see how you would say the PS3 looks better. :confused:

HaZarD SFD
12-07-2006, 09:39 AM
I NEVER SAID BETTER.. I said by a bit. Both were equal but PS3 did have some
little, very little extra graphics. When looking at those screens you have to look at everything
on the pictures. Details, details, details.

Please dont make me go through them again with a pen and paper cuz I will pick each and every pic apart.

laughs
12-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I NEVER SAID BETTER.. I said by a bit. Both were equal but PS3 did have some
little, very little extra graphics. When looking at those screens you have to look at everything
on the pictures. Details, details, details.

Please dont make me go through them again with a pen and paper cuz I will pick each and every pic apart.

lol, looking at them from the point of view as a person, I have to once again strongly disagree... Look at Fight Night Round 3 for instance.... The backgrounds in the PS3 is terrible. Even gamespot agrees that the 360 has better pics :p.......:hardcore:

HaZarD SFD
12-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Nvm. Talking to you has been useless. I was comparing rendering distance and reflections!

Ainokeatoo
12-07-2006, 09:51 AM
You know, I still think the 360 is putting up a great fight seeing as it did come out a year before ps3... if the PS3 didn't look atleast a tiny bit better i'd laugh.

Highlite23
12-07-2006, 10:25 AM
I thnk alot of personal preferences come into play when looking at the comparison. Not to mention alot of the comparisons are not the the exact same frame of play, and I know that may be nit picky but if you look at the Madden comaprisons there are shadows rolling over the field on one but not the other, I would say the one with the shadows is better, but the other probably shows the same effect at a given time.

Both systems will produce nice graphics, I personally like the 360 "Experience" better with all of its Live Arcade, Marketplace, etc...

HaZarD SFD
12-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I thnk alot of personal preferences come into play when looking at the comparison. Not to mention alot of the comparisons are not the the exact same frame of play, and I know that may be nit picky but if you look at the Madden comaprisons there are shadows rolling over the field on one but not the other, I would say the one with the shadows is better, but the other probably shows the same effect at a given time.

Both systems will produce nice graphics, I personally like the 360 "Experience" better with all of its Live Arcade, Marketplace, etc...

x1...

Whisper
12-07-2006, 10:38 AM
If the PS3 didn't look a little better than Xbox everyone at Sony would have been fired. Just like last time with the Xbox looking better than PS2.

The real question is, will the head start do for Microsoft what it did for Sony last generation. I don't think it will, though I was surprised by early sales of Wii against PS3... but once the PS3 is actually in stores, we'll see.

CrazyCougar
12-07-2006, 11:29 AM
The comparison that should have been done is, compare all launch Titles of the 360 with the launch titles of the PS3. Then you will notice that the PS3 in fact does have a little edge. Not much, but a little. And honestly, we're comparing mostly EA titles here, which tend to port everything. Same with the 2K titles. Why would anyone expect much of a difference.

But seriously, rendering seems much deeper on the PS3. One example would be fuller leafy trees from a distance. You can see a distinct difference in the amount of foliage on a tree at a further distance.

I love my 360 and I have no need for the PS3. As stated, the 360 has an already outstanding online service with many perks. No real reason for me to even think about laying $600 out for a PS3 at this time. I am sure down the road I will have one to play Gran Turismo. Forza is great and all, and I look forward to the next installment, but come on....Its not Gran turismo.

laughs
12-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Nvm. Talking to you has been useless. I was comparing rendering distance and reflections!

Talking to me has been useless because I disagree? You should go into politics my friend :hump:

HaZarD SFD
12-07-2006, 12:34 PM
But seriously, rendering seems much deeper on the PS3. One example would be fuller leafy trees from a distance. You can see a distinct difference in the amount of foliage on a tree at a further distance.

Exactly what I was talking about in the 2nd post in this thread. I guess Laughs didnt
comprehend what I was trying to talk about.

laughs
12-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Dig, dig dig.... whatever... Looking at those pics from a gamers point of view, I prefer the 360. The PS3 screens look too damn washed out. Now, if I could only comprehend how to use the washroom, I'd be set.

CrazyCougar
12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Some of the pics are washed out, but so were the 360 launch titles. Remember the old blur trick that many games used to give it a "next gen" feel. PS3 is doing the same thing that the Xbox 360 did one year ago.

So one year from now, i would expect big things from the PS3. If they dont deliver, then they will definitely lose the console war. But honestly, i dont think they'll fail delivering. Both systems will be exceptional. And it will really depend on what games you want to play as to which system suits you better. Thats all there is too it.

Ainokeatoo
12-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah but still, PS3 should expectedly be atleast somewhat or atleast a tiny bit better as it did have another whole year to produce it's console...

AlphaRaptor
12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
I took my time with all the screenshots and I am proud to honestly say that most Xbox 360 screens looked clearly better, most notably in the texture department. Another thing that the screens don't show is the framereate slowdown on the PS3. That alone can make the 360 look better. If the PS3 is really so much more powerful with its cell, it should at least match the 360 at launch. But as I say all the time, the GPU is always overlooked, and that is the biggest player when it comes to graphics. Throughout the entire launch I have approuched the PS3 with a very unbias attitude. I have played it, seen it, studied it, and it just seems to be one thing after another bogging it down. So far I have yet to see anything justifing the $600 price tag. Maybe that'll change in a year, but then again....maybe not, this is Sony were talking about here.

We'll just have to wait and see, but the 360 will easily be the leader for the next 1 1/2 years...

Dark Shift
12-07-2006, 10:45 PM
I think in general the 360's screens looked better. NFS looked slightly better on the ps3 in terms of textures, but other than that I'd say the 360 takes the cake. Like laughs said the ps3 shots looked washed out, and in general the only thing they had going for them was a slightly better "Fuzz" effect on the tree's in the distance, giving a fuller look. Some of the textures on the ps3's games actually looked less detailed than the 360's, ala the football game and tony hawks.

killerscott
12-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah,over all I prefer the 360 graphics. And the first thing i did notice while playing the ps3 was the framerate issue... Along with everyone around me. Also Fight Night, though not a launch title, was fairly close to launch for 360.

cdg5551
12-08-2006, 05:49 AM
very interesting. the PS3 isnt even that fun its just like the ps2. the xbox 360 has a lot more improvmenst over the reg xbox.

mattgame
12-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Nvm. Talking to you has been useless
First of all as a staff member if you cannot take being disagreed with in a very mature fashion then you need to step back and dig yourself. Wow.

I see both points, but I think the 360 has the overall edge but I can see where the PS3 has the potential to out do the 360. Dare I say they may even beat the 360 in sheer graphical power easily. However, there are other factors that are hampering the ps3 like framerate.

ll Mista GT ll
12-08-2006, 10:21 AM

:rofl: Oh thats priceless.

HaZarD SFD
12-08-2006, 12:58 PM
First of all as a staff member if you cannot take being disagreed with in a very mature fashion then you need to step back and dig yourself. Wow.

I see both points, but I think the 360 has the overall edge but I can see where the PS3 has the potential to out do the 360. Dare I say they may even beat the 360 in sheer graphical power easily. However, there are other factors that are hampering the ps3 like framerate.

And im not saying it doesnt have the edge against PS3. But my objection to those pics
involved the rendering distance and reflections. NOT Bump mapping, textures, and Details.
THATS ALL I WAS COMPARING. Now Yes I do see that the XboX looks better and since
only 1-2 screens went towards PS3, that might clear stuff up.

Anyways. If you cant reply to a post on the topic it was geared towards and Without blowing it out of proportion, dont reply.

mattgame
12-08-2006, 03:25 PM
And im not saying it doesnt have the edge against PS3. But my objection to those pics
involved the rendering distance and reflections. NOT Bump mapping, textures, and Details.
THATS ALL I WAS COMPARING. Now Yes I do see that the XboX looks better and since

Anyways. If you cant reply to a post on the topic it was geared towards and Without blowing it out of proportion, dont reply.

Nvm. Talking to you has been useless

You changed the topic when you expressed that Laughs was not worth discussing a topic with. Your statement was rude, immature, and aggressive in a small way. Again, your views on disagreeeing with Laughs was not the topic. I simply addressed a member who treated a member of this site, who had been here for years and devoted so much time and energy to this site, so disrespectfully. I don't know who you are at all, I don't really care, but I'll be damn if you or anybody else is gonna tell me "don't reply" or get at one of my friends. Take it easy, it's just the internet, I'm sure you're not built that way.

Now back on topic, when I crack my PS3, I will give a detailed report on which one I think is better. It's going to be after Christmas though.

HaZarD SFD
12-08-2006, 03:58 PM
You changed the topic when you expressed that Laughs was not worth discussing a topic with. Your statement was rude, immature, and aggressive in a small way. Again, your views on disagreeeing with Laughs was not the topic. I simply addressed a member who treated a member of this site, who had been here for years and devoted so much time and energy to this site, so disrespectfully. I don't know who you are at all, I don't really care, but I'll be damn if you or anybody else is gonna tell me "don't reply" or get at one of my friends. Take it easy, it's just the internet, I'm sure you're not built that way.

Now back on topic, when I crack my PS3, I will give a detailed report on which one I think is better. It's going to be after Christmas though.

First off I looked at the pictures and talked about RENDERING and REFLECTIONS.
Laughs talked about everything else that was different. I was only offering my opinions on
the rendering distance and reflections of the systems.

When laughs replied he fought my opinions about backgrounds, textures, and other
aspects of graphic that I did not comment about. Hence why my argument became
Useless.

My next post was to support the other parts of what laughs was talking about, being the
XboX 360 was better overall. It also enforced what my first post was detailing. I then
commented towards the general audience that reading someones opinion and commenting
about it but not referring to anything he said i.e Reflections and rendering VS Textures,
blurring, and bump mapping. Is like rubbing 2 rubber gloves together. It just doesnt make
sense.

On anothe note. I hope you take great pics and submit details of both systems. I cant wait myself to see
a game in 6months of the same title be pitted against each other on the consoles to see who actually is
the better machine.

mattgame
12-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Laughs talked about everything else that was different. I was only offering my opinions on

When laughs replied he fought my opinions about backgrounds, textures, and other
Useless.

My next post was to support the other parts of what laughs was talking about, being the
XboX 360 was better overall. It also enforced what my first post was detailing. I then
commented towards the general audience that reading someones opinion and commenting
about it but not referring to anything he said i.e Reflections and rendering VS Textures,
blurring, and bump mapping. Is like rubbing 2 rubber gloves together. It just doesnt make
sense.

On anothe note. I hope you take great pics and submit details of both systems. I cant wait myself to see
a game in 6months of the same title be pitted against each other on the consoles to see who actually is
the better machine.

I will. I wish I could now but I have to surprise my kids. You know how that goes. I can't wait to see myself. I'll buy COD3 for both systems and give a detailed report.:cheers:

laughs
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the kind words Mattgame, I'm glad you see me as a friend, I know I see you as one :cry: In either event, I appreciate what you said... Now I suggest we burn HaZarD SFD-XBA at the stake, or give him a nice puppy dog for christmas, either would suffice. My comment, as well as the link that was provided was directed at the overall look of the pics, while yours were not... Deal with it, eat it up, spit it up, chew it a while and swallow it, or spit up, I really don't give two flying ****'s. I'm just sick and tired of people whining and *****ing on the internet. Valium people... Valium :) Now let's all enjoy the following pic

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/498/tubbymariomp7.jpg

l Maximus l
12-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Sweet! I bought a system, the XBox 360, that looks a tad better than a different system, the PS3, and I saved $200 to play the exact same games!

Better framerate overall, too! Oh yeah, XBox Live, too!

It's a freakin' no brainer.

EDIT: Hazard - don't waste your time with Laughs - you'll lose every time because he's a legend around these parts and a good buddy of mine, too. Noob.

ChessPieceFace
12-08-2006, 09:35 PM
The PS3 could blow away the 360 in graphics evently. But with better graphics they have even if it is a slight edge have frame rate issues it will kill game play at least for me. I cant image what it would be like online. But Mattgame I will be interested in your thoughts on the PS3 vs 360 especially the online play

killerscott
12-09-2006, 08:34 AM

Useless.

sense.

the better machine.

weeewoooweeeewoooweeeewoooweeeewooo... so you think that the bumpmapping and framerate are better on the ps3 while the 360 has good rendering distance!? ohhhhh godd. Just joshing with you. You guys are fun

HaZarD SFD
12-09-2006, 11:23 AM
weeewoooweeeewoooweeeewoooweeeewooo... so you think that the bumpmapping and framerate are better on the ps3 while the 360 has good rendering distance!? ohhhhh godd. Just joshing with you. You guys are fun

:bang: :mad:

:cheers: We all need a beer.!

killerscott
12-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes, better.

AlphaRaptor
12-09-2006, 03:07 PM
The PS3 could blow away the 360 in graphics evently. But with better graphics they have even if it is a slight edge have frame rate issues it will kill game play at least for me. I cant image what it would be like online. But Mattgame I will be interested in your thoughts on the PS3 vs 360 especially the online play
Na, I wouldn't say that, the actual gaming power between both systems is very close. The 360 has the edge on the GPU side while the PS3 "may" have an edge on the CPU side. All in all, even if the devs figure out how to take full advantage of the PS3's Cell, the graphical difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 will be very, very small, most probably will not notice. There wont be a clear winner when it comes to graphics this generation like the last generation of consoles. (Xbox was the undisputed winner...duh)

Now, this is how I see it...

Because the 360 is easier to develop for, and for now as a larger user base, most 3rd party devs will choose to making their games for the Xbox 360 and then port them over to the PS3. These games will always look very much the same on both systems. While first party games will display the full potential of both systems. Both systems are so different in architecture, we may never know what is the "more powerful system" so in this generation it'll all come down to THE GAMES!

Mwright
12-09-2006, 05:15 PM
shouldnt this be in the console debate forum along with the other forum in here thats just like this one

laughs
12-09-2006, 09:15 PM
shouldnt this be in the console debate forum along with the other forum in here thats just like this one

Where is the console debate forum?

mattgame
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Where is the console debate forum?

It's where I keep my doodoo of course.

Yeah, I'll let you guys know the difference for sure.:cheers:

Slacker
12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
The first thing I noticed was How poorly lit the PS3 was compared to the 360, it looked Washed out, Light and shadows in any Art portraying Realistic environments needs to be balanced , first thing a good art teacher teaches you to do is to look for the light and shadows, this round for the 360,

Mahz
12-21-2006, 04:38 AM
Being a technical developer for a graphical engine converter, I can say that the Xbox 360 clearly outshines the PS3. I see a lot of you saying that they differ only by "a little bit." While graphically and aesthetically this may appear true, understand that compound, minute details like light eluding and shadow mapping across various surfaces yields thousands of extra calculations a second. If anyone here is familiar with the Big O algorithmic outcome, then understand that, for instance, when a shadow collides with another mesh, the O notation jumps a level.

To get specific, check out Need For Speed Carbon and the 3rd picture down, as I saw someone saying the PS3 was clearly better in another discussion. (360 TOP, PS3 BOTTOM)

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/features/hardware/ps3vs360/ps3vs360005.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/features/hardware/ps3vs360/ps3vs360006.jpg

First of all, the most obvious difference is that the 360 is more lit as though its gamma is turned up. This is actually because light travels a greater distance in the 360 shot than it does in the PS3 shot. More evidence of this is seen with the PS3's pitch black shading beneath the building. Notice the top of the car. The 360 reflects the red light ahead where the PS3 does not. Although the red light is going out or coming on in the PS3's shot, reflections are demonstrated real time, so there should be some reflected red or at least the yellow glow.

Check out the tail lights of the car. The PS3's may seem more vibrant, but the 360's red light is actually being eluded by the diffusive tint of the tail light lens itself whereas the PS3's simply shines through with some degree of a simple degradation.

The rear view mirror (in the next screenshot) is a good demonstration of the 360's reign of this particular sequence of screenshots. Rear view mirrors are typically reflections, as instead of recalculating the viewport then rerendering it realtime, the already-rendered material can just reciprocate. The PS3's rearview mirror doesn't even reflect some of the elements at all, just substantial light sources.

Gamespot explains that the 360 demonstrates superior lighting while the PS3 has sharper textures. However, as far as power demonstration goes, complex rendering like lighting and reflection increase calculation exponentially while texture rendering always effects calculation in a linear fashion.

I got pretty bored typing that, but if anyone honestly wants a breakdown of any specific screenshot within the link, I'd be happy to reveal my observations.

mattgame
12-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Ummmm, I love you?:hail:

Slacker
12-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Being a technical developer for a graphical engine converter, I can say that the Xbox 360 clearly outshines the PS3. I see a lot of you saying that they differ only by "a little bit." While graphically and aesthetically this may appear true, understand that compound, minute details like light eluding and shadow mapping across various surfaces yields thousands of extra calculations a second. If anyone here is familiar with the Big O algorithmic outcome, then understand that, for instance, when a shadow collides with another mesh, the O notation jumps a level.

To get specific, check out Need For Speed Carbon and the 3rd picture down, as I saw someone saying the PS3 was clearly better in another discussion. (360 TOP, PS3 BOTTOM)

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/features/hardware/ps3vs360/ps3vs360005.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/features/hardware/ps3vs360/ps3vs360006.jpg

First of all, the most obvious difference is that the 360 is more lit as though its gamma is turned up. This is actually because light travels a greater distance in the 360 shot than it does in the PS3 shot. More evidence of this is seen with the PS3's pitch black shading beneath the building. Notice the top of the car. The 360 reflects the red light ahead where the PS3 does not. Although the red light is going out or coming on in the PS3's shot, reflections are demonstrated real time, so there should be some reflected red or at least the yellow glow.

Check out the tail lights of the car. The PS3's may seem more vibrant, but the 360's red light is actually being eluded by the diffusive tint of the tail light lens itself whereas the PS3's simply shines through with some degree of a simple degradation.

The rear view mirror (in the next screenshot) is a good demonstration of the 360's reign of this particular sequence of screenshots. Rear view mirrors are typically reflections, as instead of recalculating the viewport then rerendering it realtime, the already-rendered material can just reciprocate. The PS3's rearview mirror doesn't even reflect some of the elements at all, just substantial light sources.

Gamespot explains that the 360 demonstrates superior lighting while the PS3 has sharper textures. However, as far as power demonstration goes, complex rendering like lighting and reflection increase calculation exponentially while texture rendering always effects calculation in a linear fashion.

I got pretty bored typing that, but if anyone honestly wants a breakdown of any specific screenshot within the link, I'd be happy to reveal my observations.

exactly!, that was ps2's problem also bad lighting, why can't sony grasp that!

mattgame
12-21-2006, 02:40 PM
I have studied both pics closely and I see what my man is talking about. It's minor stuff but it shows that the 360 is prodducing better visuals. Look close and you can see the little box thing in the distance to the right looks sharper and more defined in the 360 version. Wow.

mattgame
12-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I have played resistance fall of man and I play Gears Of War. GoW wins hands down. Resistance looks like a better quality PS2. I'm not a fan boy at all but the 360 looks way better.

thatdude222
12-26-2006, 09:11 AM
does the ps3 look 200$ better?

mattgame
12-26-2006, 03:31 PM
does the ps3 look 200$ better?

Not at all, however blu-ray dvds look fantastic.

mattgame
12-26-2006, 08:40 PM
I got FN Round 3 for ps3. Now this game looks better on the ps3 than on the 360. Also it plays faster. It seems a little more polished on the PS3 than the 360. Maybe more time is attributable for this I don't know. I do know this, Sony is not done yet.

laughs
12-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Mattgame, I heard that the PS3 is sleezier in bed... Is this true?

killerscott
12-27-2006, 02:20 AM
well its double core center (trade marked) gives it twice the sex drive, so I would assume so.

mattgame
12-27-2006, 06:38 AM

I tis sexy and more freaky than the 360 but it gets way too hot too fast making for really short quickies.:hump:

laughs
12-27-2006, 08:35 AM
I tis sexy and more freaky than the 360 but it gets way too hot too fast making for really short quickies.:hump:

Hmmmmm, sometimes a quickie is good but i'm not too sure if that's the route I want to go... Think I won't cheat and continue to sleep with my 360..