PDA

View Full Version : when will it be implimented?

Scorpion X
12-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know exactly when we will see these 360's with the upgrades cpu's on the shelf? I am hoping to buy a 360 but would like to wait for the 65nm cpu. Also I was wondering if any other upgrades were in store for the 360, such as the BLACK 360 or integrated hd-dvd player.

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2154491/microsoft-upgrades-xbox-cpu

Microsoft will upgrade the CPU used in its Xbox 360 games console early next year, the CPU's manufacturer announced today.

The new CPU will be built using technology that can reduce heat and power consumption, as well as potentially increasing speed. It will also help Microsoft cut the console's cost.

The improved Xbox 360 CPU will be manufactured using 65 nanometre technology starting in the first quarter of 2007, Chartered Semiconductor of Singapore said. The existing CPU uses 90nm technology.

Mwright
12-08-2006, 09:11 PM
they arent gonna make a black xbox 360 because they are all about faceplates and **** and black didnt work for them last time.and they wont add in a standard HD-DVD until the next xbox if and only the HD-DVD is still alive at that time..and for the cpu its not gonna be anything majorly diffrerent and its not worth sittin around and waitin.. i have an x-mas 05 model and there are some differences in my friends 360 which he got in the summer.

Reclaimer
12-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't think it's going to make a tremendous difference if they use this upgraded processor. I bet people are hinging on the key word "potentially increased speed." I just don't think it's going to be a big deal that I would want to sell my current 360 and upgrade to the new ones.

I did a lot of looking into an old project for the original Xbox when people had replaced the 733 P3 CPU with a 1100MHZ P3 CPU, and they upgraded the 64megs of ram to 128 and it made a difference in speed of the original Xbox's processes, but it made little to no difference to the games, because the games are programmed to utilize a certain CPU and a certain memory count.

So, are all the game companies going to release patches for every game made for the 360 so that the game can take advantage of a slight performance boost? Seems like a waste of money and resources to me.

HaZarD SFD
12-09-2006, 11:25 AM
I don't think it's going to make a tremendous difference if they use this upgraded processor. I bet people are hinging on the key word "potentially increased speed." I just don't think it's going to be a big deal that I would want to sell my current 360 and upgrade to the new ones.

I did a lot of looking into an old project for the original Xbox when people had replaced the 733 P3 CPU with a 1100MHZ P3 CPU, and they upgraded the 64megs of ram to 128 and it made a difference in speed of the original Xbox's processes, but it made little to no difference to the games, because the games are programmed to utilize a certain CPU and a certain memory count.

So, are all the game companies going to release patches for every game made for the 360 so that the game can take advantage of a slight performance boost? Seems like a waste of money and resources to me.

So basically untill the new processors are out for a while and games are programmed
to run on the NEW CPU. Its esentially worthless to upgrade till then because all games
now are made to run on the current 360.

SamSmith
12-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, "reduced production costs" caught my eye there, though I doubt there'll be any real difference in performance.

AlphaRaptor
12-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Think of this guys....

[nerd talk]
Even if the speed of the Xbox 360 CPU was DOUBLED, you "might" see an extra 8fps in some games. If the speed increase equates to about a 4% gain...your looking at...maybe a gain of .5fps if your lucky. To much credit is given to the CPU these days. :rolleyes:
[/nerd talk]

In other words, no one is going to see a difference in framerate. Some people might hang back because of all the heating issues, but I've got a launch Xbox 360 and haven't had a single problem with it. It's locked up on me two or three times, but thats about as bad as it gets.

Go420Dawgs
12-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Think of this guys....

[nerd talk]
Even if the speed of the Xbox 360 CPU was DOUBLED, you "might" see an extra 8fps in some games. If the speed increase equates to about a 4% gain...your looking at...maybe a gain of .5fps if your lucky. To much credit is given to the CPU these days. :rolleyes:
[/nerd talk]

In other words, no one is going to see a difference in framerate. Some people might hang back because of all the heating issues, but I've got a launch Xbox 360 and haven't had a single problem with it. It's locked up on me two or three times, but thats about as bad as it gets.

Yeah I still have my launch console too. My console has been beaten up pretty bad from taking it back and forth from friends house and what-not, but it still works like a charm:cool:

Dr_J
12-10-2006, 01:01 AM
"The new CPU will be built using technology that can reduce heat and power consumption"

This is why I'm waiting to replace my 360. Mine is a launch 360 and it died on me a month ago. I haven't had the time to play it anyway, so it's really not that big of a deal to me.

I have a two year extended warranty on it, so it won't cost me a penny.

My question is, when I go to replace it, how can I tell if I'm getting the upgraded version? Should there be some sort of description on the box?

Also, isn't there going to be a 100GB hard drive? Or, did that end up being BS?

Infraredragon
12-10-2006, 01:44 AM
Also, isn't there going to be a 100GB hard drive? Or, did that end up being BS?
I'm pretty sure they're going to release that as an add-on, like the HD-drive.