PDA

View Full Version : Automatic you manual?

AlphaRaptor
01-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I've been playing plenty of NFS: Carbon lately, and have been wondering how many people drive with a manual vs an automatic transmission? IMO a manual allows you to squeeze every bit of power out of your engine if used right, especially on hilly, curvy tracks. Plus, manuals just make the game more challenging and fun to me. :hump:

Whats your take?

Edit: Yes I screwed up the title....

Shawn-XBA
01-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I use automatic because I have a hard time with the manual transmission

m4oH
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I drive auto in every racing game. The only time I switch over to manual is when I go online and my friends and I see who is the better driver :).

ll Mista GT ll
01-23-2007, 02:47 PM
Manual. It makes the game so much more fun.

Reclaimer
01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Automatic.

I think manuals in video games are unrealistic and too "arcadey".
My cars in the past and present and future will be / have been stick shifts. Notice how I said stick shift.
That's the way it should be. You drive by feel and you shift with a stick. You don't need no stinkin' tachometer. They're just for show.
Not because you're running redline in a videogame and you press a button.

But what do you expect? I'm old.

I'm not even a tremendous fan of these auto-stick cars because of the lack of a clutch pedal.
My wife's last 2 cars had an auto-stick tranny and though it's a nice trade off for her and I, it's not a real stick shift because there's no damn clutch.

wulkar
01-23-2007, 03:45 PM
i go auto because i dont want to mess with the gears. i just like racing.

AlphaRaptor
01-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Automatic.

I think manuals in video games are unrealistic and too "arcadey".
My cars in the past and present and future will be / have been stick shifts. Notice how I said stick shift.
That's the way it should be. You drive by feel and you shift with a stick. You don't need no stinkin' tachometer. They're just for show.
Not because you're running redline in a videogame and you press a button.

Well, who says you need to look at the tachometer? ;)

I wont say I never look at it (I try not to take my eyes off the road) but I usually go by the sound of the engine. But it can be confusing when playing in split screen...with two engines blaring away.

One thing I would LOVE to see hit the market is a steering wheel with an actual stick shift and clutch, yes, that would rock. :cool: