PDA

View Full Version : Gamers Rights

DrainYou
03-01-2002, 12:08 PM
For years and years i've been playing video games. It all started when i was 9 years old and got my first computer (a Commodore 64) . Then, not too long after that, i saw (and played) my first stand-up video game-- Pac Man.

Since then i've matured, grown, married-- then divorced, became a U.S. Marine-- then retired after 4 whole years. and now, at the ripe old age of 29 i still love to play video games.

And after seeing some pretty messed up stuff in my days, i feel i can handle just about anything. I've seen body parts blown up into trees, seen diseased and rotting 'living dead'. smelled what burning flesh smells like and sent out the sorties that caused it all. (i was an air traffic controller).

So, despite all of that i have developed a taste for certain types of games. I like first-person shooters (ie: Halo, Quake III Arena, Medal of Honor, Counter Strike). I like fighting games (ie: Soul Caliber, Soul Blade, Dead or Alive 3) I even own a bootleg copy of a little game called "Thrill Kill" for the Playstation... with a mod-chip. The game never made it to the open market because of how graphic it was.

The game "Thrill Kill" has been the best console game i have ever seen/played. It has mass amounts of gore, lots of violence and very good game play-- and even supports 4 players with the Multi-tap for the Playstation (NOT Playstation 2). But since then, it seems there has been a shortage of games that can compare to the realistic gore that was portrayed in the game. The gore and violence was almost like another 'new and untraveled' path in the gaming world... and it gave the game a life of it's own.

Anyways, what i am so ****ed-off about is the lack of games in this genre. and the ones that do exist, get shot down by all the "Parents-Rights" groups because they don't conform to what they think 'children' should be playing. and thus, they never get released.

Thank God for Parental Controls that now come in the X-Box and Playstation 2. Huh? What's that?! You say the X-box AND Playstaion 2 have Parental Controls that prohibit kids from playing games that contains violence and (shhhhh!) sexual situations (ie: Grand Theft Auto 3)?! Maybe if the parents were more involved in their children's lives and actually paid attention to what their kids are up to, it would have a positive affect on the gaming industry.

The industry supports the games-- for the sake of being games. Maybe if they had the support of the parents (who are the ones that actually buy the games for their kids most of the time) we could get past this blockade. a man can dream can't he?

Now this brings me to the old Amercian institution of "Supply & Demand". There's a market for these games out there-- i know i'm not the only one who enjoys playing these types of games. Stand up, make yourselves known! more importantly- LET THE GAMING INDUSTRY KNOW that it is time they leave the choice of what WE, the ADULT gaming community choose what types of games we want to play. Also, let them know that, as adults, we can and WILL be responsible with these games around children. We're not sick, demented, deranged, or just plain screwy- we're normal people who love playng realistic- to the extreme- types of games.

Just like Hollywood movies, if there is a demand for ADULT games, there will be someone out there to publish it, distribute it, and market it. (i am now in the Marketing job market). If the demand is there... the product will soon follow. (I'm getting a flash-back from that stupid Kevin Costner movie "Field of Dreams" -- "If you build it they will come..."

So, kids, eat your vegetables, stay in school, and wait your turn (like the rest of us) to experience and play those 'nasty, satan-filled, EVIL EVIL EVIL games that Big Brother keeps you from playing... they'll be here when you're old enough.

If you build it, they will come...

JJaX
03-01-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by DrainYou

The game "Thrill Kill" has been the best console game i have ever seen/played. It has mass amounts of gore, lots of violence and very good game play-- and even supports 4 players with the Multi-tap for the Playstation (NOT Playstation 2). But since then, it seems there has been a shortage of games that can compare to the realistic gore that was portrayed in the game. The gore and violence was almost like another 'new and untraveled' path in the gaming world... and it gave the game a life of it's own.

Good post, Except this part.
I thought thrill kill sucked. And yes i do have a modified PSX and a bootleg copy of it. All the "thrill kill" moves are to simular.
But the nurse chick is cool ;)

Capt Marvel
03-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Agreed!! good post. Keep this fact inmind.. Xbox games are to open source...Meaning that MODS could be delveloped and DL via the MS network so you could start see more gore FPS ...Of course MS could filter them...but who knows at this point. All I know is games like Counter Strike a MOD of Half Life could be delveloped for a game like Halo...this is just another valued added feature of Xbox over POS2 kiddlecube....Let hope the MOD community grows for Xbox

AvedisZ
03-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Right on. Maybe some of these "parents" should raise their kids rather than letting their Xbox do it for them. I'm 18, I can play whatever I want, but because some parents think games are too violent, Mortal Kombat DA might not have the famous "Finish Him!". That's like saying my kid stabbed his eye out with a fork, so now everyone has to eat with their hands.

Shadow Fox
03-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by DrainYou
For years and years i've been playing video games. It all started when i was 9 years old and got my first computer (a Commodore 64) . Then, not too long after that, i saw (and played) my first stand-up video game-- Pac Man.

Since then i've matured, grown, married-- then divorced, became a U.S. Marine-- then retired after 4 whole years. and now, at the ripe old age of 29 i still love to play video games.

And after seeing some pretty messed up stuff in my days, i feel i can handle just about anything. I've seen body parts blown up into trees, seen diseased and rotting 'living dead'. smelled what burning flesh smells like and sent out the sorties that caused it all. (i was an air traffic controller).

So, despite all of that i have developed a taste for certain types of games. I like first-person shooters (ie: Halo, Quake III Arena, Medal of Honor, Counter Strike). I like fighting games (ie: Soul Caliber, Soul Blade, Dead or Alive 3) I even own a bootleg copy of a little game called "Thrill Kill" for the Playstation... with a mod-chip. The game never made it to the open market because of how graphic it was.

Anyways, what i am so ****ed-off about is the lack of games in this genre. and the ones that do exist, get shot down by all the "Parents-Rights" groups because they don't conform to what they think 'children' should be playing. and thus, they never get released.

Thank God for Parental Controls that now come in the X-Box and Playstation 2. Huh? What's that?! You say the X-box AND Playstaion 2 have Parental Controls that prohibit kids from playing games that contains violence and (shhhhh!) sexual situations (ie: Grand Theft Auto 3)?! Maybe if the parents were more involved in their children's lives and actually paid attention to what their kids are up to, it would have a positive affect on the gaming industry.

The industry supports the games-- for the sake of being games. Maybe if they had the support of the parents (who are the ones that actually buy the games for their kids most of the time) we could get past this blockade. a man can dream can't he?

Now this brings me to the old Amercian institution of "Supply & Demand". There's a market for these games out there-- i know i'm not the only one who enjoys playing these types of games. Stand up, make yourselves known! more importantly- LET THE GAMING INDUSTRY KNOW that it is time they leave the choice of what WE, the ADULT gaming community choose what types of games we want to play. Also, let them know that, as adults, we can and WILL be responsible with these games around children. We're not sick, demented, deranged, or just plain screwy- we're normal people who love playng realistic- to the extreme- types of games.

Just like Hollywood movies, if there is a demand for ADULT games, there will be someone out there to publish it, distribute it, and market it. (i am now in the Marketing job market). If the demand is there... the product will soon follow. (I'm getting a flash-back from that stupid Kevin Costner movie "Field of Dreams" -- "If you build it they will come..."

So, kids, eat your vegetables, stay in school, and wait your turn (like the rest of us) to experience and play those 'nasty, satan-filled, EVIL EVIL EVIL games that Big Brother keeps you from playing... they'll be here when you're old enough.

If you build it, they will come... *checks DY's IP*

hmm...you seem familiar...

Anyways, I see you and another have gotten ahold to thrill kill. The game did make it to the market, just not under that name. Does Wu Tang: Shaolin Style ring a bell?

If you've attained the beta version of Thrill Kill, might you so happen to still own a copy of Evil Zone? Now THAT was a PSX game that shouldn't be played by anyone younger than 21. That thing reminds me of Stigmata.

I understand your need for "graphic games", and believe me, there'll be a plethora of them for all consoles later this year. So pretty much after E3, everyone will be satisfied.

BTW, where were you stationed? And what all games do you still have for C64? What was your fav?

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

Woocifer
03-01-2002, 12:29 PM
The idea of censorship sucks ass of course, but I have a feeling the slant you used that you've seen body parts being blown off humans and smelled rotting flesh and yadda yadda as defence of why you like violent or sadistic games is pretty poor.

The idea of everyone should like this kinda of genre or that it should be further pursued just because you've been in situations that could be traumatizing does not make it at all valid. In fact the idea that you get off on violence and destructive behaviour JUST because you've been subjected to multilation and violent instances makes me worry about those who may have gone through the same and CANNOT handle themselves as you obviously can.

See I personally don't give a ***** about the whole censorship idea. What bothers me is that something as timid as an Ozzy Osbourne song gave a kid the idea to shoot himself in the head from a song that was actually ANTI-suicide. Or that KISS has subliminal message or some bullsh|t like that. It isn't the content, it's the idiots that seem to get hell bent on idiocy.

I'm not trying to be defiant, I'm just saying I have a hard time swallowing that most of the public shouldn't be put on leashes to begin with before the violent content is unleashed heh. I have a feeling that soon we'll see commercials with warnings that the following content is violent and blah blah blah...I mean it has got so out of hand that its become its own parody.

But making a game that is just senseless gore is kinda boring anyway hahahah As sick as it seems, a game based on being a serial killer might be interesting, but again you never know who is going to snap and come after you or me or anyone else just because they can't handle it. I mean look at the religious crap that blows up, and those divinations are supposed to teach tempermant, acceptance, forgiveness, etc....

It's a tough subject to crack, but I totally understand your frustration. But I think pursuing just pure gore is a subject that might be a little empty.

I'm sure playing GTA3 wouldn;t make you want to go beat someone with a bat and run them over with a car...me either...more like someone shooting your mom in the face and running her over with a car would make you want to find that person and tear them apart.

I just wish the world was just a little more intelligent. There aren't enough dead people, that's for **** sure.

Anyway I say yes and no :) Suffering because of others sucks weiner, just because they can't handle something. But then again is it responsible to release a game about rape, torture, genocide, murder, etc.... I dunno... I call them games, not suggestions.

K I'm done.

l Maximus l
03-01-2002, 12:36 PM
I read through your entire post. By the way, welcome to the forums! Also, thank you for supporting our country!

Now, I agree with your view of violent games as I am also a huge FPS fan. And, I also can't stand the idiots that try and have them banned, therefore, messing everything up for everyone when their main intentions are to get them out of the hands of adolescents. And, I also support your view that parents should be more involved with their children and know what they are doing.

But, I can see some improvements with this situation and in regards to us older gamers. The utilization of the Parental Control system, as you mentioned, certainly is a great tool against the arguement of the idiots that try to ban this violent genre known as FPS for everyone, even is their intentions are to get them out of the hands of chiildren. The Parental Control thing is awesome! Also, keep in mind that they do rate games just as they do movies. I work part-time at an electronics store that sells XBox, PoS2, and LameCube games, and we cannot sell games to kids that have a mature rating, for example. So, that also has improved things for us older gamers....inasmuch as they won't be banned.

DrainYou
03-01-2002, 12:56 PM
Woocifer had some very good remarks. i didn't really make this part clear in the initial post but being a Marine and seeing what i saw had absolutely NOTHING to with my preference for violent/graphic games. It's always been there with me... as sick as that may sound... hehe.

There's no reasoning behind it, it's just a preference. I still play games like Project Gotham Racing, Madden and other 'non violent'. games.

The main root of my frustration is the freedom of choice. that's all. i want to be able to go into a store and buy a game, no matter what it is, because it was the vision of the game creator/developer... and because, hopefully, it's a lot of fun and a good game. These games are art... and should be enjoyed as such.

By the way, i'm very much looking forward to the following games:
Hunter: The Reckoning -and- Call of Cthulu.

Call of Cthulu is one of those games that seems to be the closest to what i'm looking forward to in the future of games.

anyone have any release dates/more info on these?

JJaX
03-01-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox

Anyways, I see you and another have gotten ahold to thrill kill. The game did make it to the market, just not under that name. Does Wu Tang: Shaolin Style ring a bell?

The only thing in common with the two was the fighting engine.
Other then that theres nothing else in common. Sure the games were simular in the way of how it was played, But to say its the same game just differnt name is a Dumb statement.

So NO thrill kill did not make it.

Shadow Fox
03-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

The only thing in common with the two was the fighting engine.
Other then that theres nothing else in common. Sure the games were simular in the way of how it was played, But to say its the same game just differnt name is a Dumb statement.

So NO thrill kill did not make it. Well of course none of the characters were there, but same team worked on the game, with the same engine and same moves (as difficult as some of them were). And yes, they added alot (plot, or whatever that was, modes, and "secrets"). Still in heart, the game is the same project that Paradox originally planned for N64 back in late 1996.

Wu Tang is to Thrill Kill as Fighter's Destiny is to Street Fighter II.

And to DY: cool Devil Dog- I was once stationed off in 4/14 up in Chattanooga, so I know how it is up there with supply and all. If you were com though (like some of my old chums), you probably would've had it alot easier. Eh, but ya know, it's all good what ya do in the Corps; "Semper gumby" and all that. But welcome to the boards- I finally have a fellow Marine here it seems.

JJaX
03-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Fox

Wu Tang is to Thrill Kill as Fighter's Destiny is to Street Fighter II.

Exactly ;)

Two different games.

DrainYou
03-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Shadow Fox- Ohh Rah!

hehe... thanks for the welcome.

as for the rest of you... can we focus on the subject and knock off this groveling over who did what with whatever engine on Thrill Kill. I liked the game... it was a first for the Playstation for me.

This topic is about our right to play the most disturbing games ever created from the minds of some of the most insane people on the planet. Let's try to keep an eye on the ball, people! hehe.