PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War or Viva Pinata

BananaMan
02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm going to buy a new 360 game soon. And I can't decide which one I want. Obviously they're two COMPLETELY different genres. I love first person shooters but after playing them for so long they're getting boring and stale. I have rainbow six Vegas and it's cool and with the new updates it will be even better. So I was wondering which one i should get? Can someone tell me more about viva pinata? And I'd like to know details about GoW multiplayer. Also with Viva Pinata is there any difference between the two different package types, or are they the same thing in different boxes?

Jackyboy
02-09-2007, 07:33 PM
i would really recommend renting them both first, because they are both love it or hate it type games

NiNeBReaKeR
02-10-2007, 02:54 AM
i would really recommend renting them both first, because they are both love it or hate it type games

renting is always a good idea,but being somone who has never played Viva Pinata im going to say GOW,as long as your stomache can handle very,very, very brutal sceens of explict gore and violence. Online is da shiznit.

-12 different multiplayer maps (2 youll have to download,for free)

- 10 diffrent weapons(that includes grenades) and a chainsaw bayonet attached to you machinegun! (not including smoke grenades)

-lots of ways to Execute you enemys,one way is curb stomping their faces into the pavement.

-The game is Online is ALL team based (no free for alls..) with 3 different game modes and story mode(which you can co-op with other people online) you can have a maximum of 8 people in a room,so thats 4 vs 4 combat and pretty much each team tries to kill the other team by outsmarting the and working together(strategy is important in making a practicly unbeatable team,which ive seen before)but you also have to have the skills mabye even more then stategy,ive takin out entire teams just because the had poor teamwork in trying to take me down and 1 on 1 i was better then any of them.

Rent it or buy it,if you like RSV then youll love GOW,i think....

vman
02-10-2007, 06:05 AM
I love first person shooters
GoW is a 3rd person shooter

Personally, I'd recommend GOW. It's unlike anything you'll ever play. Very intense and very fun.

predatorprime
02-10-2007, 07:33 AM
I'd say by Viva Pinata if you play single player most of the time.
Gears is a pretty lame (short and easy) single player game.
Now if you play on live a lot then theres nothing out there better than Gears

EMX
02-10-2007, 08:51 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read sorry.

You're contemplating between the best game of the year and a stupid cartoon little kid pinata game.

I guess I'll ask you this question while I'm at it...

Jessica Alba or Ron Jeremy?

predatorprime
02-10-2007, 10:44 AM
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read sorry.

You're contemplating between the best game of the year and a stupid cartoon little kid pinata game.

I guess I'll ask you this question while I'm at it...

Jessica Alba or Ron Jeremy?

Have you played Viva Pinata?
Probably not. Gears is not... I do repeat... is not the best game out right now.
The single player experience is boring/repeatative/easy... I mean theres what like 6 different enemy types in the entire game.
It is a great multiplayer game assuming you are play good players, other wise RSV is a superior game, with a better cover system.

Like I said... single player get Viva... multi get Gears

PS Stupid comments like that are the reason why there are only 2 or 3 types of games out for the 360 (FPS, Sports, Driving). Open your mind to something other than some dumb ass shooter game that takes 3 brain cells to play. Flame me if you dare

wasabi_
02-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I dunno, I have them both and I must say I played Gears hours on end and Viva for a total of maybe 5 hours. I just dont understand the point of Viva Pinata, I dont find it entertaining for some reason.

Id suggets Gears

DemonicTiamat
02-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Probably not. Gears is not... I do repeat... is not the best game out right now.
The single player experience is boring/repeatative/easy... I mean theres what like 6 different enemy types in the entire game.
It is a great multiplayer game assuming you are play good players, other wise RSV is a superior game, with a better cover system.

PS Stupid comments like that are the reason why there are only 2 or 3 types of games out for the 360 (FPS, Sports, Driving). Open your mind to something other than some dumb ass shooter game that takes 3 brain cells to play. Flame me if you dare

you say gears is in no way the best game out at the moment? but surely its a matter of ones personal opinion, i myself would rather play Gears over RSV. Dont get me wrong RSV is an awesome game and i love its online play, but Gears is my personal preference simply because i enjoy playing it more. You say that the gears single player is short boring and easy, although i agree on the short part, I found playing it was really fun, especially on Live Co-op with friends.

Its like an argument I had with my friends from school over the final fantasy series, We all played every single FF game ( cept 11 cause of the online subscription fee ) but i think FF7 was the best of the series and one thought FFX was the best and another of my friends thought FF8 was the best, its all a matter of personal preference, there will never be a single greatest game, simply because everyones tastes differ.

And its exactly the same in the music industry, people like different music which means there will never be a single greatest band, album or song because not every1 will like it. I listen to rock, metal, and dance stuff and i cant stand rap, one of my friends listens to Rock, Rap, Hip hop and hates dance. Its life.

I havent played VP yet so i cant say which one to get out of the two, but as some1 mentioned earlier rent them and see which one you like most, you may end up loving them both or even hating them both. But gears multiplayer is Sweet, especially when you get to curb stomp some1s face into the concrete after givingem a good pistol whipping :D
;)

predatorprime
02-10-2007, 07:43 PM
you say gears is in no way the best game out at the moment? but surely its a matter of ones personal opinion, i myself would rather play Gears over RSV. Dont get me wrong RSV is an awesome game and i love its online play, but Gears is my personal preference simply because i enjoy playing it more. You say that the gears single player is short boring and easy, although i agree on the short part, I found playing it was really fun, especially on Live Co-op with friends.

Its like an argument I had with my friends from school over the final fantasy series, We all played every single FF game ( cept 11 cause of the online subscription fee ) but i think FF7 was the best of the series and one thought FFX was the best and another of my friends thought FF8 was the best, its all a matter of personal preference, there will never be a single greatest game, simply because everyones tastes differ.

And its exactly the same in the music industry, people like different music which means there will never be a single greatest band, album or song because not every1 will like it. I listen to rock, metal, and dance stuff and i cant stand rap, one of my friends listens to Rock, Rap, Hip hop and hates dance. Its life.

I havent played VP yet so i cant say which one to get out of the two, but as some1 mentioned earlier rent them and see which one you like most, you may end up loving them both or even hating them both. But gears multiplayer is Sweet, especially when you get to curb stomp some1s face into the concrete after givingem a good pistol whipping :D
;)

I understand your points, I just think Gears is overrated and by people overlooking games like Viva Pinata the 360 will become a very shallow system, kind of like how it is now. Co-op for Gears is great which is why I made the point that as a Single player game it is a pretty big let down for me. Its only about a 5 to 10 hour game, which is pretty short for a $70 game. I like Gears as a Live game, the multiplayer is fun, it just suffers from Halo 2 syndrome where a lot of the players are either really good, or borderline retarded.
I also do not think that Viva is the best game either, I would just like to see the series succeed so we might get some depth to the 360 library. I'm going on 3 and a half months with out a new 360 game.

Oh and by the way....FF6 (3 in the states) is the best Final Fantasy game, 7 is a close second. I think we can all agree that FF X-2 is the worst.

Finally if you want to know what I think the best game right now is....
All Systems - Zelda (for Wii...controls are everything)
360 - Assault Heroes (and yes I know its a XBLA game but its fun)

Nato King
02-10-2007, 08:31 PM
So i see you went and got the GOW. So please post and tell us what you think and was it worth your money.

mattgame
02-10-2007, 08:45 PM
GoW is th emost addictive game I have ever played hands down. Curb stomping a guy when he's down is the best feeling I have ever had in gaming.:hail:

BananaMan
02-11-2007, 03:33 AM
I decided on gears because I like shooters. And my cousin and friends have the game. So i chose it for the multiplayer aspect also.

First impressions are it's very hard to get used to. But this is the most addicting game i've played, even if i am horrible at this point.

I'm glad i purchased gears, it's really fun, it's just annoying when you get in a little kids room and he decides he wants to glitch the whole time and if you go and kill the other team he'll boot you.

DemonicTiamat
02-11-2007, 05:24 AM
I understand your points, I just think Gears is overrated and by people overlooking games like Viva Pinata the 360 will become a very shallow system, kind of like how it is now. Co-op for Gears is great which is why I made the point that as a Single player game it is a pretty big let down for me. Its only about a 5 to 10 hour game, which is pretty short for a $70 game. I like Gears as a Live game, the multiplayer is fun, it just suffers from Halo 2 syndrome where a lot of the players are either really good, or borderline retarded.
I also do not think that Viva is the best game either, I would just like to see the series succeed so we might get some depth to the 360 library. I'm going on 3 and a half months with out a new 360 game.

Oh and by the way....FF6 (3 in the states) is the best Final Fantasy game, 7 is a close second. I think we can all agree that FF X-2 is the worst.

Finally if you want to know what I think the best game right now is....
All Systems - Zelda (for Wii...controls are everything)
360 - Assault Heroes (and yes I know its a XBLA game but its fun)

Yeah i totally see where your coming from, practically all the shooting 360 titles at the moment have the duck-cover-heal thing going on now and id just like a game with a health bar for a change. Id love to see some decent RPG games released for the 360 too, that would make my day.

I havent over looked VP since its had some fairly good reviews, im just waiting for games that i want or have been waiting for for ages, take FF12 for example, that still aint out over here in the uk yet, ive only been waiting for a lil over 1.5 years now, and when they finally confirm a release date, i find its exactly the the same day Crackdown is released, so those two are my next purchases.
and yeah FFX-2 was pretty ****. although i did like the dress sphere system.

wasabi_
02-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Yeah i totally see where your coming from, practically all the shooting 360 titles at the moment have the duck-cover-heal thing going on now and id just like a game with a health bar for a change. Id love to see some decent RPG games released for the 360 too, that would make my day.

I havent over looked VP since its had some fairly good reviews, im just waiting for games that i want or have been waiting for for ages, take FF12 for example, that still aint out over here in the uk yet, ive only been waiting for a lil over 1.5 years now, and when they finally confirm a release date, i find its exactly the the same day Crackdown is released, so those two are my next purchases.
and yeah FFX-2 was pretty ****. although i did like the dress sphere system.

360 has Oblivion, practically one of the only good RPG series is the Elder Scrolls. Final Fantasy is overrated, kinda lame that you just run around then randomly get attacked, fighting is lame too. Bioshock looks kinda neat, but thats more action then RPG. But 360 is getting Mass Effect which I am sure will blow any Japenese RPG out of the water.

EMX
02-11-2007, 08:54 AM

Alright....yeah a little kids game based on a cartoon show for 3 year olds takes brain cells to play. Good point, you're right.

predatorprime
02-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Alright....yeah a little kids game based on a cartoon show for 3 year olds takes brain cells to play. Good point, you're right.

The game isn't really a kids game. Rare came up with idea long before M$ pimped it as a cartoon. The show was just a cash grab because M$ must have known that the game wasn't going to sell well because of the people that buy 360s don't buy anything unless there is a huge amount of death and destruction. The game actually takes a far bit of management to get your pinatas to not kill each other.Yes kill each other.The is far too much for a little kid to control, if you read any reviews for the game you'd know that.
My suggestion is to try something before you write it off as a kids game.
Gears on the other hand a kid could play if it wasn't for the extreme violence involved.
I mean how hard is it to hide, shoot, hide, shoot, run, shoot....
I don't mean to come off as an ass about this, but Viva Pinata is a good game and so is Gears. The big difference between the 2 is one of them people bought because of hype and the other one people didn't because Bill Gates say stupid **** like the games for girls, and they make a little kids show about it. Way to go Bill.

DemonicTiamat
02-11-2007, 10:14 AM
360 has Oblivion, practically one of the only good RPG series is the Elder Scrolls. Final Fantasy is overrated, kinda lame that you just run around then randomly get attacked, fighting is lame too. Bioshock looks kinda neat, but thats more action then RPG. But 360 is getting Mass Effect which I am sure will blow any Japenese RPG out of the water.

There you are you see, you think Final fantasy is overrated, yet ive played oblivion and i think that's overrated, because i didnt enjoy it very much and got bored pretty early on. Its all down to the fact that peoples views and preferences differ.

If the 'turn based' fighting system is lame, then why has it been used so much? people could say the exact thing about COD and GOW and say "oooo the health regen system is lame its basically infinite health" ect...... Its all personal preference. and as for the random attacks, doesnt most games have random attacks? like a wretch on GOW jumping out of a hole? or a german soldier on COD3 jumping at you from behind a wall and you having to fight em off? or perhaps on RE when a dog or licker jumps through a window?
sure once youve played them once or twice you learn where they are on those sorta games, buts its the radomness of final fantasy games that appeal to me, being able to see an enemy in an RPG game means you can usually avoid it, meaning you dont have to work (or work as much) to get to the next place, and besides, in FF games you can run away from most unwanted battles anyway, no need to fight everything, unless your me of course :D

This is also the reason i prefer to play RPG games over other games simply becaus i get more value for money, i completed Halo2 on legendary, the day i got it, :sleeping: , and completed GOW on hardcore in a day. yet it took me over 40 hours to finish the first disc on FF7 simply because there was much more to see and find.
Also on FFX for the people who know, once you get to a cetain place you can capture enemies, take em to a guy and he combines em to make a stronger monster which you can fight, that to me is awesome specially when you come to fight Penance, the hardest monster in the game which presents a challenge because unless youve completed the sphere grid on ALL of your chracters, youve go no chance (unless your a noob, and own an action replay). Theres somthing so much more satisfying about working to kill that one great boss and achieving it, where as in halo you play though without having to do much besides move and use the trigger.
Its this challenge that appeals to me, while others may think: " aww screw that i aint playing that **** for that amount of time, i cant be ****d" but to me its better value.

thatdude222
02-11-2007, 11:54 AM
rent gears of war. the single player is awsome, but a bit short. i really dont like the multiplayer that much. rent it, if you like it, buy it, if not, pick up viva pinata.

dont listen to the 13 year olds who say viva pinata is a "kiddie game" and that gears of war is the game of the year. decide for yourself.

thatdude222
02-11-2007, 11:56 AM
btw FF7 is the best.

Jackyboy
02-11-2007, 01:51 PM
rent gears of war. the single player is awsome, but a bit short. i really dont like the multiplayer that much. rent it, if you like it, buy it, if not, pick up viva pinata.

dont listen to the 13 year olds who say viva pinata is a "kiddie game" and that gears of war is the game of the year. decide for yourself.

he already bought gears:whistle:

BananaMan
02-11-2007, 04:04 PM
I thought this game was praised for its cover system. All I see online is people rushing each other with shotguns and maybe one person staying back with the sniper.

predatorprime
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I thought this game was praised for its cover system. All I see online is people rushing each other with shotguns and maybe one person staying back with the sniper.

Yep, it took about a month for people online to figure out that the chainsaw blows.
The multiplayer is fun, just not quite like what you might expect

mattgame
02-11-2007, 09:13 PM

That's why they say in the beginning of entering the online mode, "gameplay may change" or something like that.

BananaMan
02-11-2007, 09:55 PM
That's why they say in the beginning of entering the online mode, "gameplay may change" or something like that.

Brother i thought that was for the esrb rating because then people can curse at you.

DemonicTiamat
02-12-2007, 07:16 AM
i thought the "gameplay experience may change during online play" message was due to internet connectivity, meaning you may have a bad connection lowering the quality of the playing.

predatorprime
02-12-2007, 07:39 AM
LOL
I think mattgame was trying to be a smart ass...
The message is because people swear and stuff like that online, or atleast they could.
I think its a bit pointless to give that warning on a mature rated title.
Its good for a game like Burnout where the game is T rated yet online people (namely me)
curse like sailors while playing.