PDA

View Full Version : When will Xbox get "family fun games"?

dougi3000
03-01-2002, 10:06 PM
When will Xbox games some family fun games?
(ie, games that are fun for the whole family, young and old, male or female. Like Super MonkeyBall, Chu Chu Rockets, Mario parties, Trivia, Puzzle games, cutesy games, anime games, cute RPGs etc)

I know Xbox has all the "coolest" looking games, but they only look cool to teenage boys and young men. My parents, older sister, and smaller brother all think they look ugly (because of the the color scheme in the games, brown, green, grey in almost all Xbox games). If it is not the color scheme that bothers them, it is the ugly characters in the games! ie, the only 2 platformers for Xbox is an ugly green brown boney alien, and some sort of ugly blue elf.

Gamecube has a whole mess of games that appeals to everyone. PS2 has a bunch in the pile of games it has. Xbox has none.

Xbox seems to have all the "dark moody" games and not much else. And dont say Shrek is cute! He is almost the ugliest main character you can put in any game. And Mallice seems to be a very "dark" game (like the game Alice). Fusion Frenzy is also a "dark" game, you are in a post apocolypic world where you do mini games to kill each other (it may be fun for 5 mins, and no single player adventure kills it).

How about a game that is not post apocolypic color scheme, and not about killing everything and everybody, and characters that you will want to buy as a stuffed toy, and gameplay that a causal non gaming girl would pick up easily?

My sister and brother are bothering me for games that are "fun" to play together on Xbox. But so far, I have found none.

They keep yelling at me, saying "you wasted $550 on a system with no games!", what can i do? I cant find any games to suit my family. They want me to sell it and get a gamecube, since it has all the "family fun games". and MONKEY BALL RULEZ! (my cousin has it)

When are we going to get games that everyone will enjoy, including my grandparents?

Plewis
03-01-2002, 10:20 PM
there's shrek, and xbox isn't reallly a family type system... its more of a teen-adult system... if you want games for the family you should get a gamecube

Crazy Joe
03-01-2002, 10:35 PM
I disagree with what you said about Fusion Frenzy, you don't try to kill each other at all. My little cousins love that game, they always want to play, and there 7 and 11.

monkeyman
03-01-2002, 10:41 PM
yeah fruzion frenzy aint a killing game you just get knocked out of the running or whatever

Plewis
03-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by monkeyman
yeah fruzion frenzy aint a killing game you just get knocked out of the running or whatever

You just beat the crap out of the other guys, and steal things from them... that's not even close to killing them:D

dougi3000
03-01-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Plewis

You just beat the crap out of the other guys, and steal things from them... that's not even close to killing them:D

Ya BEATing the crap out of people and STEALING their belongings, as well as blowing them up in the snake game, and the tank games, and shoving everyone off a cliff and drowning in water is "family fun". LOL..

Oh well.. i guess I should sell my Xbox and get a gamecube then. :(

but i like my Xbox! (but i cant please anyone else with it)

DBXNY
03-02-2002, 12:42 AM
Well...there's supposed to be a Rayman Arena and a Looney Tunes game coming out for X-Box. But face it, if you need kiddie games, you're probably better off convincing the folks to get a gamecube. The X-box isn't really being marketed towards young crowd. They left that market for Nintendo.

:D

Crazy Joe
03-02-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by dougi3000

Ya BEATing the crap out of people and STEALING their belongings, as well as blowing them up in the snake game, and the tank games, and shoving everyone off a cliff and drowning in water is "family fun". LOL..

Ya, but it's not done in a graphic, or remotely realistic way. I mean, do you let your kids watch cartoons, they're more violent than Fusion Frenzy is.

darianX
03-02-2002, 12:48 AM
I really don't think you'll see many "family" games for the Xbox, and I don't think that will hurt it at all. People generally know that the E rated games come out on a Nintendo system. As for dull colors, I suppose you haven't seen JSRF or Cel Damage yet. JSRF is **** colorful and bright. Just ignore the parents and play that black box :)

DBXNY
03-02-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

...I mean, do you let your kids watch cartoons, they're more violent than Fusion Frenzy is.

Oooh...this is so true!!! :)

dougi3000
03-02-2002, 08:25 AM
But why can't Xbox have it all??? Even the PS2 has some family oriented games.

It is the greatest gaming console so far. But how can it be that great if non-gamers don't play Xbox, and instead play Gamecube?

For the $450 price tag I would have hoped it would encompass all the features of all the current consoles and then some.

So I have to spend another $300 for a Gamecube to round out the software library with inferior hardware options?! What a ripoff!

There are no family oriented games slated for this year or the next year for Xbox according to the release lists.
:(

rr9597
03-02-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Plewis
there's shrek, and xbox isn't reallly a family type system... its more of a teen-adult system... if you want games for the family you should get a gamecube

I know this whole discussion is a little childish but I agree that Gamecube tends to be more to the side of safety and no guns. If they had Halo and GTA3 on Gamecube it would probably be a big hit

kornavs19
03-02-2002, 08:38 AM
X-Box games are based on an older aged variety of people. They make most games for M and T. Not alot of E except sports games. If your a kid you should get something out of the nintendo variety.
Id say 007 is like there most bloodiest game and compared 2 X-Box that would be like rated E. Any way X-Box isnt goanna go make kiddie games because they all ready have attracted the older buyers.

wweomaniac
03-02-2002, 11:55 AM
lol, XBOX was made for 14-24 year olds say MS. They have made some like oddworld, shrek, fusion frenzy and... ummmm yeah.

Fusion frenzy rocks though!!!

Frink
03-02-2002, 12:23 PM

Well you referred to Mario Party as "family fun." Well in mario party you have a tank game where you lob bullets at other players. Oh yeah and that game where if you put up the wrong flag that evil looking turtle cuts your rope that connects you to the ship and you fly away. I forgot about the grab bag game where you steal the coins from the other player or the game where you hit the player over the head with a hammer to get the coin before he does. Well that proves that if you disect any game meant for families you can find violence. I would let a 5 year old play Fusion Frenzy. It's not like he is graphically killing anyone.

StudioAlex
03-02-2002, 01:59 PM
I think what you should think about is if the system is going to be for you, or your family who obviously have no taste. Don't give me that color scheme crap. Anyone can apreciate the graphics in Halo. More to the point, if you intended the system to be for your whole family, I must ask, how much research did you do before buying the system? No one ever promised to you that this was a family system. It is family friendly, in that it allows parents to prevent their kids from playing games that they shouldn't, but they wasn't any a single mario-esque game slated for release, with the possible exception of Shrek and not even a kid would have fun with that one.

In essence, where you are blaming MS for not delivering, I am blaming you for not making an informed decision.

Azazel
03-02-2002, 03:54 PM
Yep, definetly should have bought a Gamecube. Xbox is geared for adults. Clearly.:)

Xbox
03-02-2002, 05:24 PM
....My 9 year old sister plays halo, and my 49 year old dad plays it also. Heck, I had the Gamecube and My Dad gave me $100 if I returned it for the X-Box :), Im lucky I guess. JSFR OWNS!! I just got that game IT OWNS!! SSX Tricky is also a bright game. And I almost convinced my sister to buy fusion frenzy.Goodluck with your Gamecube, You should get
-----------
Super Monkey Ball

Lugi Mansion

Super Smash Meelee

StarWars

SSX Tricky
------------

Muabdi'b
03-02-2002, 06:19 PM
Well, get a gamecube and you wont have many games in the long run. They are not selling. Third party developers will be dropping like flies soon. You can't compete against deep pockets no matter how good your system is, ask Sega.

Guess what, the age group that buys the majority of the games are 18 and older. Mommy and daddy come out during the holidays.

dougi3000
03-02-2002, 08:28 PM
so you guys are trying to say that no console should have both types of games. It either has to be male gamer games, or family oriented games, and NEVER both on a single console?

Don't you think it would be benificial to have all types of games on a console? Even those that "doesnt use the Xbox's full potential" (I hate that excuse for not putting family oriented and/or colorful games on Xbox).

BAH! I have to scrounge up enough money to buy all the systems then............ *grumble**grumble**grumble**grumble*

DBXNY
03-02-2002, 08:38 PM
so you guys are trying to say that no console should have both types of games. It either has to be male gamer games, or family oriented games, and NEVER both on a single console?

Don't you think it would be benificial to have all types of games on a console? Even those that "doesnt use the Xbox's full potential" (I hate that excuse for not putting family oriented and/or colorful games on Xbox).

BAH! I have to scrounge up enough money to buy all the systems then............ *grumble**grumble**grumble**grumble*

Hey...I know......you can get Mad Dash Racing!! That'll keep the kiddos busy, for sure. :D

Chr0nik
03-03-2002, 08:33 AM
You want family games, then don't buy a console.

Stick to Snakes and Ladders and Scrabble. ;)

Razor70
03-03-2002, 11:33 AM
If you want family oriented games then you can't go wrong with Nintendo's Gamecube. Nintendo has always been a family oriented company and have always had the best games for kids and the family.

When Microsoft was coming out with the Xbox, Bill Gates once said that the area Microsoft was trying to reach was the Teen to Adult range for video games. He stated that alot of games would be for this type and there would not be alot of family oriented games.

So in the long run, it depends on if you want the system for yourself or if you want a system for the whole family. I think everyone gives the Gamecube a bad rap because of the lack of games out for it, but later this year when the new Mario and Zelda hit I think it will start to take off. Nintendo's systems always start out slow if they don't have the two biggest games out for it.

Hugh_Jass
03-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by DBXNY

Hey...I know......you can get Mad Dash Racing!! That'll keep the kiddos busy, for sure. :D

I second that. Simpsons Road Rage and Cel Damage are also colorful and family-safe.

Highlite23
03-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew
I disagree with what you said about Fusion Frenzy, you don't try to kill each other at all. My little cousins love that game, they always want to play, and there 7 and 11.

I gotta agree with Gortholomew, and would add that there are games you can play with the family, i have a 6 year old son and of course we don't play Halo together we do play SSX Tricky, JSRF, PGR, NBA 2K2, Fusion Frenzy, Star Wars Starfighter...anyway you get the idea, and my wife joins in on the fun, the most fun i have actually is watching them two go at it.

So I don't know if it's more Family games your looking for or is it more Familiar charecters and gameplay. My 2 cents.

Liquid Gears
03-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Family Fun Games!!! Does the XBOX look like a GameCube to you!

l Maximus l
03-04-2002, 10:59 AM
Admittingly, there are only a select few of XBox games that are for all ages...the system is mainly geared for teen through adult gamers. The select few would be Fuzion Frenzy, Mad Dash Racing, Cel Damage, Looney Toons (coming soon), Simpson's Road Rage, and others.

Nintendo, by contrast, has stated that their main market is the 8-12 year old age range. Granted, they do have *some* mature games, but, this is only expected so they can satisfy as many different types of gamers out there. Take Metroid Prime as an example...that isn't supposed to be very "kiddie" at all...nor will the Resident Evil series.

But, because I am in that young adult category, the multitude of mature games found on the XBox suit my needs better. I strongly recommend the Gamecube to kids moreso than the XBox...I work at an electronics store and we sell both GameCubes and XBoxes.

dougi3000 was absolutely correct when he stated that kids prefer bright and colorful graphics instead of gloomy or mysterious looking graphics. I wouldn't recommend Halo to really young kids at all. First of all, the control scheme alone on Halo would be difficult enough for really little kids.

Just my 2 cents

RudedogX
03-04-2002, 11:03 AM
As quite a few of the other addicts have said, Mad Dash is pretty much Mario Kart on feet, it has bright colors and can be fun to kids (some of the things they say may be a little out there though). Cel Damage, Simpson's Road Rage, when Futurama and that looney tunes comes out you'll have more. I think the Looney Tunes is Taz escapes or something like that. Either way, yes, there will be family fun games for the XBox, but they will be few and far between. MS wanted to create a system for the more 'mature' gamer, and their titles have backed that up.

l Maximus l
03-04-2002, 11:12 AM
Great ponts there, Rudedog. If you notice, even the members of this website give all of the games you mentioned a lower scrore than many of the mature rated games on here...probably because the vast majority of XBox gamers don't prefer them because XBox gamers are simply older! But, like you said, they are available in case a young buck wants to play :)

robnyack
03-04-2002, 11:40 AM
"when will xbox get into family games?"

"family games": translation...kiddie games. So, hopefully the answer to the question is NEVER!

you want kiddie games, go buy GC.

Phiresun
03-04-2002, 03:13 PM
I fought it for the first three months, keeping my eight year old away from violent games. But I must say Halo has been a great family game for us. My son and I spent 3 weekends 17 long hours beating this game. It was great. Father and son bonding thanks Halo.