PDA

View Full Version : New Xbox Controller S

XboxGamers
03-02-2002, 01:02 AM
Thanks to GameSpy.com for the info. This is great news!!1 mm buy this one. :D

Luckily, Microsoft is listening to its consumers, and today have revealed that they are planning to address these issues by releasing a brand new Xbox controller for the American market. Microsoft's David Hufford came to GameSpy to get out the word on this exciting new peripheral.

GameSpy: Tell us a bit about yourself and your job at Microsoft Xbox.

David Hufford: My name is David Hufford and I work on the Marketing team at Xbox, so my primary job is to market all things Xbox, including this new game controller.

Xbox Controller S
GameSpy: What are you calling this new controller?

David Hufford: We're calling it Xbox Controller S.

GameSpy: What does the S stand for?

David Hufford: Well, there's not a lot of science behind it, it's more of an art thing. I think we were all in a room and thought it would be a cool name, so we just came up with it.

GameSpy: So will the original controller still be known as the Xbox Controller?

David Hufford: Yes, Xbox Controller is what we call it.

GameSpy: How is Xbox Controller S different from the standard US pad?

David Hufford: Well the first thing is obviously the size -- the Xbox Controller S is smaller. The one thing we did after launch was talk with people who bought the Xbox and it was pretty obvious that there were some people who wanted to have more choice with their game controller.

advertisement

People were, I think, pleasantly surprised with the controller that we came out with, and they like it, but there's also a broader demographic of people that have got Xbox now and they're looking for something a bit smaller. Therefore we've reduced the size and changed the primary button placement quite a bit. We've gone to a cross layout similar to what you get on the PS2, and we've moved some of the secondary buttons so they're no longer on top. They've moved down to the bottom, underneath the cross layout. The D-pad's surface is a little bit different now. I think it'll be a lot easier for people to play, you know, eight hours of games per night. It'll be a little bit easier on the thumbs. And the Start and Back buttons have now moved below the left thumb-stick. So those are the primary differences. The triggers are also not quite as heavy as the Xbox Controller's springs, so the springs are a bit looser in the triggers.

GameSpy: Is it 100% identical to the Japanese controller?

David Hufford: No, there are differences. For one, the cable length is a bit longer than the Japanese controller; we're going to the 9.8 foot standard cable that we came out with for the original Xbox Controller. I mentioned the buttons -- the springs in the triggers, those are a bit different. It's more like the Xbox Controller here in the States, with a little subtle difference -- you'll definitely feel a little more play there. We replaced the green jewel with a black jewel, so you'll have a black jewel on this one.

GameSpy: Do you think the Xbox Controller S will be better suited to certain genres than the original Xbox Controller?

David Hufford: I think people will decide for themselves. Gamers will, you know, sort of pick it up and play. I love to play sports games and I've played it with the smaller controller and I prefer that controller. But a buddy of mine down the hall prefers the Xbox Controller. It's a "choose your weapon" kind of scenario.

GameSpy: Will the new controller have the same price point as the original?

David Hufford: Yeah, it'll be $39.95.

Link: http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/march02/xboxcontrollers/

http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/march02/xboxcontrollers/2.jpg

Sangha
03-02-2002, 01:11 AM
It's looks almost identical to the japanese controller, i'm not really interested in that, the current XBox controller is perfect for me but it should be a nice thing for some other people and smaller kids.

tech
03-02-2002, 01:24 AM
Cool. XboxGamers, it looks like you got cut off. Question, do you know when the new controller will be coming out? Thanks

XboxGamers
03-02-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by tech
Cool. XboxGamers, it looks like you got cut off. Question, do you know when the new controller will be coming out? Thanks

I'm sorry about that I just edit the post but it will be $39.95.

tech
03-02-2002, 01:38 AM
Thanks XboxGamers. That is great news to me.

Shadow Fox
03-02-2002, 01:44 AM
Finally, an Xbox controller for the fighting games!!!

Let's just hope the buttons still are as raised up like the MS original.

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

jhixson2
03-02-2002, 06:40 AM
man i want this controller! it looks tight! i just hope that the buttons are responsive unlike the mad catz controller!

Mercury
03-02-2002, 10:11 AM
No thanks. I'll stick to the regular controllers. I think they're the best ever.

yaztromo
03-02-2002, 10:13 AM
I love the original controller but I want at least one of these for my collection so when I'm whipping my friend in DOA3 he can't complain he's not used to the size of the controller!
muahahaha!

E-Xbox
03-02-2002, 10:29 AM
nice...
thats pretty cool
i might pick one up...
it would be cool do have a variety of conts

Frostberg
03-02-2002, 10:50 AM
Meh, If I didnt have a pile of Japanese controllers...but anyway this wont be out for a few months, whereas the Jap controller is here now...

Razor70
03-02-2002, 11:12 AM
I have been wanting to get a new controller actually so I think I might just wait until this one comes out.

FlyBoy
03-02-2002, 11:12 AM
I don't really care about the controller size, but I like the repositioning of the black/white and start/back buttons... it seems much more accessible if you need to switch grenades or something quickly.

givenchy2000
03-02-2002, 02:17 PM
its good to see microsoft listens to the people(S controller)
but on a selective basis, example people have
been crying out for a NATIVE VGA CABLE, but
micrososft has no answer. they have there own form
of common cents.

rr9597
03-02-2002, 02:23 PM
Should be good, doesnt look that much different, except the size and some other things. Its better its smaller because Im like a 13 year old in the body of a five year old

monkeyman
03-02-2002, 02:24 PM
it looks uncomfy though