PDA

View Full Version : network card?

monkeyman
03-02-2002, 09:08 AM
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/images/tunnel/n1.gif

on here it shows a pic of it ya know but it shows a network card do i need that? and also my outlet thingy only has one hole in it should i take out the wire thats in it and just put the other cable in it cause wouldnt it still be able to connect?

Frostberg
03-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Ummm...how else were you planning to connect? Of course you need a network card (ethernet card, NIC) to plug an RJ-45 (ethernet cord) into...what is your "outlet thingy"? and what is plugged into it?

monkeyman
03-02-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg
what is your "outlet thingy"? and what is plugged into it?

network uplink it where you put your internet cable thing and also i know the xbox to hub network uplink to hub and the monitor to the hub but where does the network card go to doesnt that mean you need 4 cables for it? i think i have a network card i donno:confused:

Frostberg
03-02-2002, 11:18 AM
Your confused!? I cant understand you! Well from what I did get out of it...cable is always connected by ethernet...however there is a chance that you have a USB adapter if you dont have an ethernet card...look at the back of your computer where you think the NIC is...it should say "10" and "100" and there will be 2 LEDs...usually green...It should only have one plug> Now an ethernet cable (RJ-45) is wider than a phone cord...for a quick example look at the back of your xbox and you will see what the ethernet plug looks like. Then just compare and see if you have one. Now then you need a switch or a hub and a few ethernet cords...unlkess you already have these, im just assumning you dont...

monkeyman
03-02-2002, 12:12 PM
thanks that really helped i was confused but anyways im gonna look and see andddddd i think i need to buy one how much do they cost?

monkeyman
03-02-2002, 12:22 PM
also i have a power surge box thingy and it has some outlets on the size this is a stupid question but do you think that might work?

Frostberg
03-02-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by monkeyman
thanks that really helped i was confused but anyways im gonna look and see andddddd i think i need to buy one how much do they cost?

Well a switch doesnt cost all that much...you can get a cheap one or a better one...all depends what you want...I would personally recommend the SMC Barricade...you can get it at a reasonable price, and it has a wide array of features. http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=286189&affid=673

Frostberg
03-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by monkeyman
also i have a power surge box thingy and it has some outlets on the size this is a stupid question but do you think that might work?

No, that is for a telephone cord, or RJ-11...this is not as wide or as thick as an ethernet plug will be

rr9597
03-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Is online play that much better then multiplayer, cause I want to get online bad!

Frostberg
03-02-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by rr9597
Is online play that much better then multiplayer, cause I want to get online bad!

YES!!!!! Well, it depends how muany people you play with...but if you get to get into a large CTF or slayer game its amazing!

What is stopping you from going online with the X?