PDA

View Full Version : the significance of goldeneye64 in terms of 360

Ljay23bling
06-20-2007, 10:27 PM
I spent some time thinking about FPS earlier, basically because that is what the 360 is mainly about, but I particularly thought about Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64. I'm positive the majority of you know it, and have played it, etc.

What I thought about was the fact that it was a First Person Shooter on the Nintendo 64. Now there are many things ironic with that fact, the first being that it is 2007 and I recentelylooked up all the shooter games for the Wii, and let me just say that there's not much, and the second being that at the time, FPS wasn't a genre for consoles.

I guess we all break the gaming stereotype dealing with FPS and console gamers. I don't know about you, but I LOVE FPS/TPS, it's my gaming life, I go back to the years of Super Mario 64, and even Super Mario for SNES, that's the farthest I can go as I am only 16, but my later gaming enjoyment has come from shooters in general, not to take anything away from the classics that I loved such as Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong, Crash Bandicoot, and various others on N64, Playstation, SNES, Dreamcast.... Now, back on point, as at one point, FPS wasn't really considered a genre on consoles. Well, times have changed, and ever since Goldeneye came out, possibly it changed the plot towards console fps development.

Many don't see the significance of Goldeneye, as I have recently been watching YouTube videos and various other videos displaying goldeneye gameplay, many comments you may find are stupid comments about how much the game sucks, but possibly these are the kids who have higher standards then what was back at that time. Not to be biased or to directly affend anyone of a young age with my comment, this isn't what this is about.

Taking a look back at the best Bond game.

In August 1997 (usa dunno about others), the best James bond game had been released to co-exist with the release of Tommorrow Never Dies in theaters, later Decemeber. At E3 1997, the hype for the game was dreadfully low, and to make matters worse; Goldeneye was a FPS, on N64 and everyone knew FPS was a PC genre and that they didn't work on consoles.

Goldeneye has had a lasting impact in many ways, being that it was released in 1997 and was almost the top selling game of 1998 as well as the #1 sold n64 game and has outsold all sales of gamecube games, not very surprising. Not only does it remind us of why there are 4 controller ports on the N64, but also of all the good times we had with paintball mode enabled. Besides that, Goldeneye definently opened the door to console FPS as it will forever leaving a lasting impact on how FPS is to be played on consoles, and not just on the pc platform. And it still is fun to play with friends, even 10 years after release. Anyone out there still have their copy, it's somewhere in my closet, but I got IT! I just played Runaway and Facility the other day!!!

Well, all I can say is, thanks a lot to goldeneye, and rare for creating this game.

I love the xbox 360 because it's almost like the alternative of gaming pc in terms of the amount of titles available, though i still wont know about the mouse/key vs pad debate. i still like gamepad though over key/mouse, it just seems easier.

A lot of titles have came out since goldeneye made an appearance, i dont think i would enjoy titles as much as I do like Halo, rainbow six, battlefield, which are mainly on the xbox 360 then any other console.

thoughts?

BangoSkank
07-20-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm in there right with you dude. I loved Goldeneye and will still play it occasionally. Theres a really great website for ppl who can't get enough of it. www.goldeneyeforever.com

Those guys have done really amazing things with emulators and gameshark to expand the original game and do amazing things with it.

wulkar
07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
there is a goldeneye remake for halflife source, its done very nicley.

Variation-XBA
07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Yea, GE did pave the way in a sense for console FPS, and sadly, I don't think we'll see anything with that same impact anytime soon.

You're going to get a lot of people that are either PC gamers that complain it's not the same without KB/Mouse or console players that do just fine with a controller. Shadowrun is a good game to test this on, as PC vs 360 players can play, and from reading up, 360 players can hold their own just fine. Sure it'll vary game to game, but people have preferences plain and simple, it doesn't mean that you HAVE to have a KB/Mouse to 'really' play a FPS though.

FPS's have boomed in the last 10 years, and quite honestly, there are simply too many of them now. They will always push PC's to the limits for graphical power, and they won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

What you say is true though, if someone didn't grow up with Goldeneye like many of us did, they can't see why it was such an important game for the industry at the time. It was sad to see EA try and rape the brandname with the Goldeneye for ps2, and that's why I say I don't think we'll see a game with that same feel/importance anytime soon.

FatBox
07-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Yea, GE did pave the way in a sense for console FPS, and sadly, I don't think we'll see anything with that same impact anytime soon.

You're going to get a lot of people that are either PC gamers that complain it's not the same without KB/Mouse or console players that do just fine with a controller. Shadowrun is a good game to test this on, as PC vs 360 players can play, and from reading up, 360 players can hold their own just fine. Sure it'll vary game to game, but people have preferences plain and simple, it doesn't mean that you HAVE to have a KB/Mouse to 'really' play a FPS though.

FPS's have boomed in the last 10 years, and quite honestly, there are simply too many of them now. They will always push PC's to the limits for graphical power, and they won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

What you say is true though, if someone didn't grow up with Goldeneye like many of us did, they can't see why it was such an important game for the industry at the time. It was sad to see EA try and rape the brandname with the Goldeneye for ps2, and that's why I say I don't think we'll see a game with that same feel/importance anytime soon.

Halo on console > Halo on PC

Halo runs much smoother on a console and the controls are a lot easier.

BangoSkank
07-20-2007, 07:50 PM
If anyone is interested in a game that still "Feels" like Goldeneye, you should check the stuff outta FreeRadical and their Timesplitters series. The single player on those games kinda blows, but the Multiplayer is very reminiscent of GE and PD.

Variation-XBA
07-21-2007, 01:39 AM
I completely agree with you 100%

mitchrules1
07-21-2007, 02:57 AM

you mean <

Variation-XBA
07-21-2007, 03:17 AM
you mean <

No, he means >

:P