PDA

View Full Version : The Xbox HD



Samwise
10-12-2000, 03:38 PM
I've heard the Xbox harddrive might be around 8-10 Gb. What are your opinions on this - is it too little space or is it enough?

Tom
10-12-2000, 03:53 PM
So far..I believe the idea is an 8 gb drive. (Western Digital just announced the other day that they are the folks making the drives.) Now...8 gb should be plenty. But..as with all things..we may see this change. I'm guessing there's going to be alot of testing in that area. http://www.xboxaddict.com/ubb/wink.gif But...as far as price wise goes...supplying the unit with an 8gb drive would be cost effective..and smart. But..with the way hard disks go on the market now a days..they may be able to use larger drives without increasing the cost. Either way..I think 8 gb will cover it very nicely. (But as with any power user...I'll be glad to take more!)

KevinM
10-13-2000, 11:22 PM
I do know that certain developers whom I have talked with are going to support user mods to their titles. Of course this could mean havoc for some power gamers that download every mod or addon available. Maybe there will be some way to connect your xbox to a pc for backups? If the xbox is to offer broadband networking, I personally don't see why Microsoft wouldn't allow file sharing over a LAN or the internet for the XBOX to be able to do this task. Imagine downloading (of course over a period of time) a gig of addons then find that you have to delete them for more stuff.... DILEMMA!!!!

matt
10-14-2000, 08:24 PM
bet you a dollar the hard drive will be upgradeable. they may not tell you so, but it probly will be. two weeks after it's released you'll hear from someone with a 100gb hd in it.

Samwise
10-15-2000, 05:20 AM
Heh, it would be very cool with a 100 gb harddrive! http://www.xboxaddict.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

DocHoliday78
07-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by matt
bet you a dollar the hard drive will be upgradeable. they may not tell you so, but it probly will be. two weeks after it's released you'll hear from someone with a 100gb hd in it.
I will take you on that bet and win.

Duke
07-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Please don't do this. People have been banned.

Kraft
07-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Western Digital makes and made the bulk of Xbox HD's which clock in at 8 gigs. Some v1.0 and 1.1 xboxs have Seagate HD's that are 10 gigs, but they are formatted just as the others are, so only 8 gigs is accessible. Honestly for what the Xbox does, this is more that enough. I have rarely heard of someone maxing out their HD with music and savegames.

Viper87227
07-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Western Digital makes and made the bulk of Xbox HD's which clock in at 8 gigs. Some v1.0 and 1.1 xboxs have Seagate HD's that are 10 gigs, but they are formatted just as the others are, so only 8 gigs is accessible. Honestly for what the Xbox does, this is more that enough. I have rarely heard of someone maxing out their HD with music and savegames.


with all the downloadable content that is already available and the massive amounts that are planned....you might start to hear alot more stories of people maxing out there HDs :watchout:

l Maximus l
07-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Man, I have tons of downloadable content, over 100 music tracks and literally hundreds of game saves...and it still says that I have 50,000+ blocks left. So, the way I see it, I haven't even dented my hard-drive yet.

Honestly, by the time an average XBox gamer max's out their hard-drive by only using the XBox for what it is primarily used for or capable of, they would be hard pressed to even see the damn thing dip below "50,000+ blocks".

So, long story short, there's nothing to worry about :D

LynxFX
07-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Interesting, look at the Topic Origin date on the thread list page.

12-31-1969 :watchout:

CarGuy
07-30-2003, 10:14 PM
"10-12-2000 08:38 PM" :huh:

Viper87227
07-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Lynx...I want you to listen to me very carefully. Put the bottle down. Do that first. When you have done that, go throw away all your funny little cigarettes. Once that is done, sit down, close your eyes, and think happy thoughs :huh:

ShannonX
07-30-2003, 10:29 PM
http://reversedreality.com/hosted_images/Image2.jpg

XboxGamers
07-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Samwise
I've heard the Xbox harddrive might be around 8-10 Gb. What are your opinions on this - is it too little space or is it enough?

LOL! It's more then enough. I still have 50,0000 blocks. It's like my saves didn't do anything. hehe!

thrAsher
07-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
http://reversedreality.com/hosted_images/Image2.jpg

Who farted? I mean, really? That is weird.


I got a question, actually, that I've never had answered. I know people with a ton of music on their boxes, and I' m curious, does the box rip 'em down to .mp3s or some odd format?

XboxGamers
07-30-2003, 10:40 PM
thrAsher, Anytime a site won't let you post anything out side the site, Thanks to "Cool8man a GA poster back in the days" said to used this anonymizer URL. It will post anything! Just put this URL in front of the URL you want to post and magic happens. hehe!

Here's the URL http://invis.free.anonymizer.com


Here your pic. :D

http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p23291bc14b317c83081f7130e44cdbda/fb86d046.jpg.orig.jpg

Snake Eyez
07-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
Interesting, look at the Topic Origin date on the thread list page.

12-31-1969 :watchout:

Any ideas into how or why this happened?:watchout:

neonightmare
07-30-2003, 11:18 PM
XboxGamers that is a nice gaming set-up!

XboxGamers
07-30-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey thanks :)

LynxFX
07-31-2003, 12:51 AM
Thanks for beating me to a screencap Shannon. :cheers:

But I should probably put the bottle down and toss out the little funny cigs anyway. :eek:

DocHoliday78
07-31-2003, 04:34 AM
Is that a tv or a digital monior? It looks pretty cool.

BCan
07-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Back to the topic anywayz.....

Yeah, it's formatted to 8 GB, with what many people believe is about 3-4 seperate 2 GB partitions.

With approx 502 on a 8MB memory card (there are most likely to be 10 used for other purposes), a total of 512, that makes for 16 KB per block....

It makes for about 512,000 or so blocks on a XBOX, with most likely only 3 of those partitions to be able to be written to, that leaves about 384,000 to be able to be used. Which is a truckload...

It all depends on how the contract is really structured, and how legal an EULA is as to the clauses mentioned in it, as to how legal or illegal mods are to the XBOX....

That's all I will say about that topic..

jelgiad
07-31-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by BCan
Back to the topic anywayz.....

Yeah, it's formatted to 8 GB, with what many people believe is about 3-4 seperate 2 GB partitions.

With approx 502 on a 8MB memory card (there are most likely to be 10 used for other purposes), a total of 512, that makes for 16 KB per block....

It makes for about 512,000 or so blocks on a XBOX, with most likely only 3 of those partitions to be able to be written to, that leaves about 384,000 to be able to be used. Which is a truckload...

It all depends on how the contract is really structured, and how legal an EULA is as to the clauses mentioned in it, as to how legal or illegal mods are to the XBOX....

That's all I will say about that topic..

but being they have approximately 384,000 blocks on the xbox, the 50,000+ indicator is hardly an efficient way of showing how much space is being used on the hard drive. most people think "oh, i still have 50,000+ blocks on my hard drive, i havent even tapped into my xbox resources yet, but in all reality, they could have anywhere between 1%-87% full. I know that the 384,000 is just a guess on space, but whatever it is, the same concept still applies