PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3

Jay
03-03-2002, 01:41 PM
I've just gotten news that Playsaion has now realized that XBOX is it's main competeter. The Xbox has Sony in shock and because of the amazing results of the Xbox it putting pressure on Sony, maybe causing them a early release of the PS3. What happened to Gamecube?:mad:

fear_this
03-03-2002, 01:45 PM
They were never really going to be in the main competors for the concole war.

Highlite23
03-03-2002, 06:37 PM
To be honest i thing GC is probably sitting in the best position right now. I don't own one, i have an xbox.

I think MS and Sony will go knock down drag out, especially after the PS3 arrives, with a Hard Drive and Broadband, I thought that was a bas thing, sorry off the subject;)

Nintendo has a very loyal following and doesn't really get caught up in the hoopla so to speak. So while the 2 titans battle it out, i think the GC will be one who is slow but consistent, fear not GC fan it will be ok.:cool:

givenchy2000
03-05-2002, 11:20 AM
dreamcast made sony rush the ps2 and the added pressure
of the xbox is making sony look at getting the ps3 out at
the right time, but situations like console life happen in
cycles.i beleive microsoft's timing of getting into the
console market with strongest hardware and off the shelf
chips is what sony needs to break microsoft out of.microsoft
is all about timming and economics given the most right product
at "THE TIME".

l Maximus l
03-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Knowing Microsoft, I predict that they won't ever stop the console war until they are on top...and, even then, they won't stop. Just give it a couple years and we all will see.

Microsoft has the money to be able to bring the best of gaming to consumers...I think that they have just brushed the surface with what they are going to bring to the market with the XBox. I mean, if you think about it, Microsoft could buy out the entire Sony Corporation 6 times if they wanted to. I don't just mean the Playstation part, I mean everything that Sony manufactures including TVs, VCRs, DVD players, and the slew of other things Sony makes.

I'm not saying that Microsoft would buy out Sony...I'm simply saying that Microsoft COULD buy them out about six times and still have some change left over. Again, expect further innovation in gaming! This is awesome!

As for Nintendo, they will definately be around unless Microsoft decides to purchase them. It's not as if it would be difficult for Microsoft if they wanted to...Both Microsoft and Nintendo of America are based in Redmond, WA. But, as everyone knows, Nintendo's main market is in the 8 - 12 year old male market....not my opinion, but, actual words urked out of the President of Nintendo of America....and he's right.

Phiresun
03-05-2002, 11:32 AM
MS is relentless when they want something bad enough. I suspect a hardfought war with a lotof benifits to us gamers. MS will not stop and will chip away at the Sony empire until they give up or join ranks. If the PS3 doesn't come out sometime next year, MS will be in a stronger position Sony could only dream about. This will be the preview year of the next two years in this saga believe me.

batman46st
03-05-2002, 11:44 AM
I am a true believer of Microsoft's power! And im pretty sure Bill wants to have his xbox come on top so it doesnt really scare me at all that ps3 will come i welcome that challange. As for gamecube I dont think they'll die out cause just remember if NSYNC could stay up there all this years then so will gamecube.. All i know is im not buying one.!

stewy_gt
03-05-2002, 12:43 PM
LOL. I strongly disagree that Sony will release their PS3 so early, it would be detrimental for them. Its just too soon to release another console. And if they did release it next year, it wouldn't be much better than the Xbox. Just think about it. The Xbox was released one year after the PS2 and people say it isn't much better. Sony would loose too much money. Now with the millions of PS2 consoles sold to the public, how eager would you be to sell your PS2 and buy the PS3(assuming the PS3 is released early). What if you had just bought your PS2. Game developers have just started to get the full potential out of the PS2. If sony does this, they would be forcing us as consumers to purchase their later product. Money doesn't grow on trees. The PS3 would make the PS2 out-dated, even though some game developers would still make games for it. What would happen is that Sony would have 2 consoles on the market at the same time. Hence they would loose much more money. Then bam! You hear of the Xbox 2(code name) to be released after the PS3, with better features and all. With the way Microsoft is going now, you can expect their next console to have much more killer titles. It would only be reasonable to wait for the Xbox 2 then. The Xbox will live forever. Then again, the Xbox and the Game Cube work well together, and can strive without having much competition between them. I can't say the same when comparing the PS2 with the Xbox and the Game Cube.

kornavs19
03-05-2002, 02:28 PM
They aint goanna release it. It's not goanna be that much better then x-box or better at all. Sony wont have time to correct ne remainig glitches now. If they released it later theyd have a coupke of years to keep improving. The pressures on and Sony is getting scared.

Smiley Army!!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

xBoXGaMeR2002
03-05-2002, 06:25 PM
If Sony released the PS3, they would lose 1/2 of their customers, causing X-Box to come out on top anyway. If a person just bought a PS2, they don't want to buy a PS3 in just 1-3 years after.

Hugh_Jass
03-06-2002, 08:38 AM
The market who would upgrade to a PS3 two years after the PS2 was released is the same market that XBOX is targeting. It is a very strategic move by Sony.

Dre
03-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Jay
I've just gotten news that Playsaion has now realized that XBOX is it's main competeter. The Xbox has Sony in shock and because of the amazing results of the Xbox it putting pressure on Sony, maybe causing them a early release of the PS3. What happened to Gamecube?:mad:

Where did you get this news from? Sounds like total BS.

Afro Aura
03-06-2002, 10:08 AM
if Sony decided to release the PS3 I'm sure that those PS2 owners are not going to be to happy with Sony, also I don't think that Sony could bring out the PS3 at a price to beat the XBOX with it's harddrive, broadband and 4 ports

Nar it will never happen, well not a $299.99 anyway

Xboxderekman
03-06-2002, 10:30 AM
here it is...

http://www.km.ru/images/game/0601/gullick1.jpg

Storm
03-06-2002, 10:32 AM
LOL I don't think thats gonna fit in my entertainment center. :confused:

Dre
03-06-2002, 10:39 AM
Man... that thing looks like a mechanical dog/alien/doorstop or something.. lol

CyberBOMB
03-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Releasing the PS3 as early as next year will severely hurt the confidence consumers have in Sony. I mean i would have just shelled out $300 for a system that only lasts 2-3 years, and now you want me to shell out more money for another system?

I mean what does that tell the consumer? That your console system is a car and you should purchase a newer model every year?

What do the PS2 owners think of Sony now that they realise that the PS3 will include all of the same features that the Xbox currently has. I mean why wait 1-2 years just to buy a system from Sony when you can get the same quality now?

I mean to me the Xbox is the Lego console system. Its whatever the game developers want it to be. If you make a crappy game then the system seems crappy (a.k.a. star wars obi wan) but if the game is good then its like "hey! this thing feels like a winner!"

So in summation, Sony has the right idea for the PS3 but unfortunately Microsoft beat them to the finish first and the consumers know it (they are just waiting for the game to catch up). And as for nintendo. They will continue to bank on old titles with graphics improvements.

XBA is God of Xbox

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Xboxderekman
here it is...

http://www.km.ru/images/game/0601/gullick1.jpg

Wow! It's an elevated book stop! :D

But, seriously, one of the main reasons why people get all worked up about this PoS3 potentially coming out is because we all just recently purchased the XBox. And, yes, to many $300 is a big chunk of change.

Keep in mind that the current games for the XBox are only first generation games and were created before the final specs were announced that the XBox console would include. Because of this, many games have been delayed to be improved to the point where they can utilize more power that the XBox provides. Take Brute Force for example...that game is coming out very soon and will utilize much of the XBox's power, moreso than any XBox game on the market up to this point! I can't WAIT for Brute Force to come out!!! :D

Spaztic
03-06-2002, 12:38 PM
I can't WAIT for Brute Force to come out!!!
I think the xbox has made you a more violent person!

The Terminator
03-06-2002, 12:40 PM
PS3 will not be released this year, or the next one. I know it's fun to think, "Hey, I love the XBox, therefore there's no way it won't be #1", but unfortunately that thinking just won't cut it in the business world. PS2 owners are happy with their PS2's, as much of a shock that may be to you...

PS2 outsold the XBox in the last 3 months. That fact alone will delay the release of the PS3, even if they had it ready right now. Another thing is that consoles do not make money, games do. So, the huge PS2 fanbase is a virtual goldmine, and all developers will want a piece of it. Therfore, releasing the PS3 would only occur when the vast majority of consumers start to get tired of the PS2. Right now Sony's main concern should be getting out some really hot games, like State of Emergency, and keep on producing them, until the XBox gains a significant foundation w/ developers. By that time, they can safely launch the PS3, and more than likely, almost all PS2 owners will buy one, b/c very few PS2 owners were disappointed.

The MS vs Sony vs Nintendo is a console war. The Xbox vs PS2 vs GC is just one battle. We could actually see all 3 coexist for quite some time, if things keep going at the rate that they are going.

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls

I think the xbox has made you a more violent person!

hehe....no, dude...I just love quality shooter games. Shooter games have come so far from the original DOOM and Quake days :D Don't get me wrong, I love Doom and Quake even now! But, Halo and the hopeful "Brute Force" really demonstrate what the shooter genre is capable of :)

The Terminator
03-06-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

hehe....no, dude...I just love quality shooter games. Shooter games have come so far from the original DOOM and Quake days :D Don't get me wrong, I love Doom and Quake even now! But, Halo and the hopeful "Brute Force" really demonstrate what the shooter genre is capable of :)

Yea, Brute Force will rule. I can't wait for Battlefield: 1942, I bet that game will kick some serious ass! Also, Terminator X is going to be sweeeeeeeet! =]

mahalan
03-06-2002, 01:11 PM
Hmmmm. Sony JUST realized that the Xbox was going to be their primary competitor. If that's REALLY the case, MS has no fears about owning the console world since their competitor seems to be suffering from a severe drug problem (is Valium being given out in the Sony cafeteria?)

As far as Sony releasing the PS3 anytime soon, don't count on it. Console manufacturers count more on software developers to create "must have" titles for their platform than they do on us consumers. We're sheep. We can be counted on to buy anything that gets rave reviews.

It costs a fortune to produce a title for a platform. If Sony were to release the PS3 anytime soon, it would kill any current PS2 titles and any PS2 titles in the pipeline. Additionally, nobody would hurry to produce games for the PS3. What would end up happening? The PS2 would die a quick death and the PS3 would be stillborn.

I can't imagine Sony would be that stupid. Then again, look at their US investments over the past two decades. Maybe there are drugs in the Sony cafeteria.

manboy
03-06-2002, 01:16 PM
There will not be a PS3 for a good long while to come. Would be kind of stupid to kill off the PS2 at the height of it's reign. Not to mention the PS2 still has the broadband + hard drive adapters coming out? Sony would lose so much money.... Sounds like BS, wherever you heard it.

Jay
03-07-2002, 10:33 PM
I got my information for OXM, secondly where did that PS3 picture come from, my dad say's it's fake?

TRUE_GAMER
03-08-2002, 12:06 AM
Well I have the GC and the XBOX and if the PS3 was coming out this year I would have that also. Why because I'm a hardcore gamer and if I have all three then I would not care which one flops. But I do believe xbox will live longer then most people think. Has n e one read about Commandos 2. That will be another game to look out for. Oh yeah and that pic of the PS3 looks like something out of Starship Troopers. I would be afraid that thing might attack me..lol

Spike Minoda
03-08-2002, 12:32 AM
God! Even if Xbox discontiued (YEAH RIGHT) and they had a PS5 out in 10 years, I would stick with the XBox. Ya know what I mean? I mean it is logical, right? I hate PS. And people say the xbox controller is whack... I can't remember where the X is or the O on the PS/PS2. THat is whack.;)

Crazy Joe
03-08-2002, 01:36 AM
the problem for XBOX comes with PSone games playable on PS2 and most likely both playable on PS3. I realize that XBOX2 will probably play XBOX titles, but this format encourages people to stick to whatever console they already have, it might be difficult to convince people to leave their console when they can play all of their games on it.

Hugh_Jass
03-08-2002, 08:29 AM
I hope Sony does release the PS3 for Christmas 2002. That means we'll see XBOX 2 in time for Christmas 2003. :)

FuNkY mOnK
03-08-2002, 09:13 AM
If that’s the ps3 it looks no different than an evaporator for the a/c system in my car, take away the tri-pod, grappling hook thingy. Which by the way, ps3 will only have a new name and games the technology will be no different than xbox.you're right by then xbox2 will set the bar another notch.

Dre
03-08-2002, 09:27 AM
Comon.. do you guys truly believe a company as successful as Sony would release a product that only equals its main competitors? Thats ridiculous.. the PS3 will kill the Xbox.. but thats the way this industry goes. Xbox2 or whatever will kill the PS3 a yr after that....

Xboxderekman
03-08-2002, 10:06 AM
Dre, shut up,

The xbox has already beaten the PS2, so that means Xbox2 will beat PS3.

DONT DIS THE XBOX, Or ill kIll you

Dre
03-08-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Xboxderekman
Dre, shut up,

The xbox has already beaten the PS2, so that means Xbox2 will beat PS3.

DONT DIS THE XBOX, Or ill kIll you

Are you daft? Read my post a bit more carefully fool.

FuNkY mOnK
03-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Comon.. do you guys truly believe a company as successful as Sony would release a product that only equals its main competitors? Thats ridiculous.. the PS3 will kill the Xbox.. but thats the way this industry goes. Xbox2 or whatever will kill the PS3 a yr after that....
Sony believed that the xbox project would be a fad and wouldn’t succeed, boy were they wrong. Ps2 should have been ps3 and there’s no way Sony will last another three years with the ps2, because come the next wave of xbox games. It’s going to be like a monsoon with Sony standing there with an umbrella. Besides that xbox will get every game ps2 will, but a few morsels that I personally have no interest in. by the time Sony releases ps3 the xbox will have gained the markets trust in that MS/ xbox, truly stands for cutting edge next generation gaming. Something Sony lost with the ps2. it’s going to be a though act to follow.

Hugh_Jass
03-09-2002, 09:46 AM
The great thing about the XBOX architecture is that it will be comparatively easy for MS to double the power without a lot of R&D. Let Sony do the grueling work of creating proprietary chipsets that are difficult for developers to understand. All MS has to do is to grab whatever next-gen GPU NVIDIA has next year and combine it with a 1.4GHz+ processor and 128M of RAM and they're good to go. That's the genius of the XBOX. No matter how hard Sony tries to compete MS will barely have to lift a finger to out-perform them.

And it seems very likely that the XBOX 2 will be 100% compatible with XBOX games.

XboxFan7
03-09-2002, 07:45 PM
that ps3 pic is not official its just a design contest at www.planetps2.com (http://www.planetps2.com) . but here's the link to the article/contest.

ps3
http://www.planetps2.com/features/articles/2001_q1/ps3design/index2.shtml

Hugh_Jass
03-09-2002, 08:54 PM
Wow. You sure told me. :rolleyes:

Zen
03-10-2002, 10:43 AM
if sony did release another console soon it would be their end...

either the xbox promotional department and development team got reallly lucky, or their geniuses... they have sony right where they want them.

Hugh_Jass
03-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Why would it be the end of Sony if they released PS3 two years after the PS2 launch? Do you seriously think people won't upgrade a $300 piece of equipment?

I spend about $500/year on cable TV and I don't even have any movie channels. Broadband users spend at least $300/year for their Internet connection.

If a $300 console lasts you two years it is only $12.50 per month or forty-one CENTS per day.

Sony and MS target the 18-30 year old market. Most of these people have jobs. If high school and grade school kids come along for the ride, that's great but they are not the target audience.

The target audience CAN afford to upgrade their equipment every two years. The target audience WILL upgrade their equipment every two years, if an upgrade is available.