PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty and the rating system...

Highlite23
03-03-2002, 05:35 PM
These comments are directed at profesional sources.

I don't know how all of you feel ablut this, but it seems that alot of the publications/sites are knocking games and droping the score due to the degree of difficulty.

Reviews state lack of inovation and challenge as reason for low scores, and yet in the review itself they state the games controls were hard to perfect.

Isn't that the whole idea?? Make it hard but not un-obtainable?? After all gamers are beating games. So it can't be that hard.

If i play a game that has a forign control configuration i usually start at an easy mode and progress as i get comfortable. Reviewers in their infinate wisdom and obviouse skill level may not feel the need to stoop to such "Beginer" levels. And playing for a few hours on an advance, sometimes incomplete, version of a game makes no difference of course.

Anyway, here is the question....

Do you feel reviewers are basing their rating on there success and or failure with the game??

XboxGamerX2
03-03-2002, 05:46 PM
I agree, gamespot for example, they gave raw a 6.5! They probally played it for 5-10mins and said "this game is horible", so yes, I agree.

CALzinger
03-03-2002, 05:51 PM
genma onimusha...probably the hardest game on earth, got in the lower 7s from OXM, only because it was hard. hell yea the difficulty effects it

Xavier Malkier
03-03-2002, 07:47 PM
I think the two go hand in hand. I mean, think about it, if a game has difficult controls, that's obviously going to have a bad impression on the overall score because it's not fun anymore if you're constantly struggling with a poor controller configuration.

-X

Toonz
03-03-2002, 08:13 PM
I think if a game gets a bad rating because its hard that the review is bogus. However if its hard because the controls suck ( Genma and Raw IMO ) than they deserve a lower score. There is nothing worse than when the controls are 1/2 the challenge of the game. A good game should not have controls that take me hours to learn and adapt too. It should come naturally and feel second nature. The most frustrating thing in the world is when you know what has to be done in a game but you can't do it because the controls suck