PDA

View Full Version : What's up with all the defective games?

Kleen
03-03-2002, 06:28 PM
Alright. I've bought UFC, RAW, and NBA 2K2 in the last couple of weeks. Each one has some sort of defect:

RAW's audio skips and the game stalls during intros and matchup screens. Sometimes the audio cuts off altogether and there's a popping noise. The only way to get the audio back is to reset the machine. I'm on my third copy of RAW, same problem with each one.

UFC is not as bad, it has a video glitch, the audio skips sometimes, and it only froze on me once (so far) during the loading screen. The game does take a REALLY long time to load between each screen, and I'm not sure if that's normal. Even testing voices in the CAF takes 4-5 seconds to load (each voice).

NBA 2K2 is the worst. Most of the time I can't get past the Visual Concepts video & intro video. If I do get to play a game, the commentary & crowd noise cuts on and off, falls way behind, or makes a popping noise until the end of the quarter. Once I got stuck at the end of a quarter and had to wait several minutes for the game to recover. I'm on my second copy of NBA 2K2, and it hasn't been out for a week.

I don't think the problem is with my machine, because all my old games (Halo, DOA3, NFL Fever) work fine. I'm really getting ****ed off. I used to have ID 2002, and that was defective, too (locked up inbetween free-throws, audio/commentary problems). Does anyone else have problems with these or any games?

E-Xbox
03-03-2002, 06:31 PM
yo
u must have some bad luck....
cuz i have had no difficulties at all....
or heard of a lot
thats too bad....
peace...

XboxGamerX2
03-03-2002, 06:49 PM
i think its my xbox:(

Toder
03-03-2002, 07:31 PM
I've experince the same thing with UFC but i don't worry about it. Ii still have fun with it. But i'm playing on a tube tv. I want to see how the game plays on flat screen or an HDTV. maybe it doesn't have the problem with one of those.

Kleen
03-03-2002, 08:46 PM
bump

DIGITAL
03-04-2002, 12:07 AM
my raws audio frezzes sometimes too,dont you think they could of fixed that ,with the delay an all

Dave
03-04-2002, 02:09 AM
On my RAW game a lot of the wrestlers appear to have been sodomised before they enter the ring. Is there some hidden homo in the back I need to unlock or is my game just defective?

Dre
03-04-2002, 02:13 AM
Have you tested these games on a different Xbox? Maybe you've got a defect? Doesn't seem normal that you'd have so many problems with games... it sounds more like a hardware prob.

Just a suggestion,
Dre a.k.a Master of the Universe:eek:

Chr0nik
03-04-2002, 06:56 AM
No problems..... you guys just have alot of bad luck it seems.:confused:

xboxer2002
03-04-2002, 07:54 AM
I have the same problem with raw except mine freezes and I hear a loud hum from the speakers.I think it's all just buggy software.

Kleen
03-04-2002, 08:05 AM
I haven't tried them on a different XBOX, only mine. My first three games play without a hiccup, so i don't think it's the machine. I know that RAW is definitely defective, because I went through 3 copies with similar results, and a lot of people have complained about it on different boards.

xboxer2002
03-04-2002, 08:35 AM
It's common sense to know that If all your games don't do It, then It's not your Xbox.

Kleen
03-04-2002, 09:13 AM
Yeah, I know it's not my machine. That's why I haven't even tried a lens cleaner. I just ****ed that I keep having to drive back & forth to & from stores, or mail games repeatedly. I going back to Funcoland tomorrow night to exchange NBA 2K2...AGAIN.

xboxer2002
03-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Kleen Try this.... It worked for me when I was having problems.Call Xbox cus support and give them your serial # of your xbox.Tell them you want the code to input at the system info screen for your particular box. what that code does is restore your xbox to it's factory settings and reinstalls the drivers for all hardware.But be aware that it also wipes your hard drive clean of anything that was on it.i did that and had no problems since then.

JimmieDoogan
03-04-2002, 09:43 AM
The only game thats given me any trouble so far is New Legends. It crashed on me twice. Other than that I've had no trouble with my Xbox (a tiny odd start with Raw aside).

Kleen
03-04-2002, 10:10 AM
xboxer,

man, I don't want to lose all my saves. I'd have to buy a memory card. I 'll have to think about that one. Thanks.

Kleen
03-04-2002, 10:40 PM
bump

xtr0n187
03-04-2002, 11:40 PM
my raw does the same thing if i dont press the start button quick enough on the vs screens.Or if I mess around in the caw. The music will skip then it takes forever to load the features like a mask or glove etc. Also on the vs screens if it skips the audio will go out on the wrestler entrances. This happens to be a common Raw software problem ive seen around and heard about.

melon
03-05-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Dave
On my RAW game a lot of the wrestlers appear to have been sodomised before they enter the ring. Is there some hidden homo in the back I need to unlock or is my game just defective?

BAHAHAHHHAHAHAAHAHAHAH...I'm Dying over here!!!!!! LOL HAHAHAHAHA...that is some funny ****..oh man haha

wulff
03-05-2002, 02:56 AM
Dave,

ROTFLMAO.

man did that make me laugh.Reading all those serious posts then get that.2 funny.
man i am still howling.

Kleen
03-05-2002, 11:49 AM
That was pretty funny. What's NOT funny is that I got my third defective copy NBA 2K2 from Best Buy yesterday. I'll be returning the second for my fourth today.

robnyack
03-05-2002, 12:09 PM
dude, your 3rd defective copy of NBA2k2???

at some point, you really need to have a bell go off in your head that says "maybe it's my xbox!!!"

Woocifer
03-05-2002, 01:20 PM
You this is pretty **** common...I have been complaining to developers for a while now. Ever since NHL 2002 came out, I have been *****ing about the poor coding going into these games...rather the poor quality control that is coming from these companies.

NHL 2002 would freeze all the time and make a high pitch noise...audio has cut out on me on most of the games mentioned...basically all the games here have been buggy on my system too. The funny thing is none of the Microsoft games seem to crash on my system. Amped, PGR, Halo, Fuzion Frenzy...nothing crashes. They all work as smooth as pooh from a baby.

I find that the other developers are just trying to figure things out but are quickly releasing things to the public in order to get on the bandwagon. RAW, UFC, Starfighter, Obi Wan, NHL 2002, and Inside Drive have crashed quite a bit or screwed up with the game.

Games that havent crashed on me are: Halo, PGR, Amped, Dave Mirra 2, Azurik(but who cares), NFL Fever, Oddworld, Fuzion Frenzy, New Legends, JSRF, Dead or Alive 3, Silent Hill 2, Wreckless, Dark Summit, and Arctic snowmobile game.

Luckily most of the good games didn't crash :) If we just list what games crash on us, we might be able to compile a list of defective software to stay away from or recommend.

Whaddya think?

BigWillieCole
03-05-2002, 02:56 PM
The only problems that I have had, have been on rentals, and everyone of those has locked up at some time or another. All of the games that I bought work perfectly. :eek:

BigWillieCole
03-05-2002, 02:58 PM
The only problems that I have had, have been on rentals, and everyone of those has locked up at some time or another. All of the games that I bought work perfectly.

Kleen
03-05-2002, 03:29 PM
I just got back from Funcoland. They wouldn't give a third (would've have been my fourth) copy of NBA2K2. They just refunded my money, and said it's gotta be my XBOX. Not that it's broken, but maybe the drivers are all jacked up. I'm gonna call M$ and complain. The weird thing is that the problems are different for each game, and non of the old games have problems.

xtr0n187
03-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Its definetly not your hardware, its that these software developers dont test enough of thier product to get good qaulity control, maybe its the cutbacks recently in the economy or what not.
Take Raw for instance. I mean if you played my raw any fool would know that its got a bug in it on how it skips just by playing with the different features in it like the Create-A-Superstar. I know for a fact a game like Raw was rushed out to the shelves after all the delays just to get it released and making money. And thats why it has bugs. Basically when your playing a game like Raw your basically playing a released beta.

Razor70
03-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Man I have had my Xbox since launch and have never had any of these problems on any of these games....and I leave my system on alot of times for some time if I am doing something else and want to go back to the game later. Hmmm I would probably get on the phone with Microsoft's hotline and find out the reason behind this. And I would do it before your warranty runs out. That's alot of copies of games you are returning for it not to be something wrong with your system.

By any chance have you looked at the discs to see if there are any tiny scratches on it? I hear they are having that problem over in Japan right now. Just a thought.

Kleen
03-05-2002, 04:03 PM
All the discs are tip-top. I've had 3 copies of RAW, 3 copies of NBA2K2, and 2 copies of UFC. I registered my XBOX and call M$. They say it takes two days for me to show up in their database. WTF?!? Isn't this the digital age? Wtf takes 2 days?!? They wnat to give me some code to reformat my hard drive, so I'm going to lose everything. This really ****es me off because my XBOX was shipped on 11/30/02, and that puts me over the 90 day mark.

Woocifer
03-05-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm tellin ya...its the software man....its not your xbox...or if it is your xbox, and its screwed up within months of playing some games, either the developers made crappy software that does this OR Microsoft has kicked us all in the bag. It would be too costly for bill to come around and polish his shoes with our crotches, so I say its just shotty software.

I have the same probs as you, and find that most of the Microsoft games work flawlessly, whereas these forced and thrown out the door games are just comin up buggy.

Kleen
03-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Got the code, reformatted my hard drive. Popped in NBA2K2, and it STILL doesn't work. Big surprise. Rented it from BlockBuster, that copy doesn't work either. That makes four. As much as I want to believe that nothing's wrong with my XBOX, that's a ****load of defective discs for one guy to find on eastern Long Island.

There goes my RVD & Booker T. CAWs.

robnyack
03-06-2002, 12:36 PM
I highly disagree that it's a software problem. You buy one and it mucks up, fine. Software problem. Take it back and get another copy. If that one mucks up, a bell has to go off in your head. Take that one back and get a 3rd copy and that one also mucks up....it's not a sotfware problem. It's a hardware problem.

Dude, there are defective xbox's out there. Sounds like you have one. Take it back and get a new one.

Kleen
03-06-2002, 02:09 PM
I called M$ back last night, after reformatting the drive didn't help (not even the BlockBuster copy worked). They are going to overnight a box to me and I'll put the XBOX in it to ship prepaid. M$ will take a look at it and repair or exchange the machine if they find anything. The whole process should take a week, they say. This is my best bet since my warranty expires this week. RAW and UFC may have their problems, but I doubt so many copies of NBA 2K2 are completely unplayable.

xtr0n187
03-06-2002, 02:37 PM
When you returned it to the store you should have tried out the game on the stores kiosk system. To determine a control and find some results. Then if it didnt work id write a letter to the developers but if it worked then its YOUR hardware.

Kleen
03-06-2002, 03:20 PM
I meant to ask Funcoland to do it, but I kept forgetting. The copy I have now is from Best Buy. My friend has an XBOX, I'll try it on his machine. Since the warranty was almost up, I arranged for repair with M$ - better safe than sorry.

The first copy of 2K2 was playable, with increasingly frequent audio problems. It just got worse and worse. Once it took several minutes to load between 3rd & 4th quarter. Then more delays in loading until the big basketball load screen loaded indefintitely. After that was when it started screwing up during the intro movies. Every copy since then has done the same. It's the only game with this kind of problem. When my first PS1 was dying (both times), all the games were screwing up (as far as I remember). Maybe it or another game damaged my xbox somehow, but there's now way to be sure unless I get the box checked out. I'll know by next Friday.

wweomaniac
03-06-2002, 04:12 PM
I really doubt its the game if it happened to you three times with raw. I rented raw and i thought that it was perfect. o difficulties at all.

I recommend you exchange your xbox. It could be the problem. What are the odds of buying the three most defective games??????

xtr0n187
03-07-2002, 03:39 AM
I think Raw may be an example of shotty software as well as UFC tap-out. I see posts in alot of forums about those 2 games having skip glitches on certain areas.

Also Kleen...Did you test the game out on another Xbox yet?

Kleen
03-07-2002, 08:21 AM
I'm going to test 2K2 on my friends XBOX this weekend. Also, I'll call EB to see if they have problems with it. I figure RAW and UFC are software glitches, but 2K2 is unplayable. Maybe it's a problem with DirectX. In sending in my XBOX just in case, since the warranty ends this week.

xboxer2002
03-07-2002, 08:41 AM
Direct x????Xbox ain't no ****ing computer!!!If some of your games work,I don't know how it could be your box,unless your laser is weak

Kleen
03-07-2002, 08:53 AM
No it's not a computer, but I think it uses a version of DirectX.

xboxer2002
03-07-2002, 10:45 AM
I've been a cpu tech for 4 years and I'm telling you from experience that if only certain games don't play in your box and others will,then it's not your box.You could do more harm than good having it bump around in shipping it back to microsoft.Bad copies of games come in batches so,if you take back a game for another(thinking it will work) but it came from the same shipment or after,you will most likely get another bad copy.Remember the dreamcast launch debacle with bad software????Everybody was taking back their console when it was the software all along.Try unplugging it for an hour and see what happens.An xbox won't magically work with some games and not others.I think their having problems with the dual layered cd's coming off the press.

robnyack
03-07-2002, 02:26 PM
how come I am the only one who simply took his defective xbox back to the store I bought it (EB) and exchanged it, no questions asked for a new one right on the spot?

what's with this shipping it to microsoft crap?

Kleen
03-07-2002, 02:44 PM
xboxer,

I hear you man, but I've got to cover all the angles. Most of my problems are audio related. ID 2002 and my first copy of NBA 2K2 (which was playable at first) had almost identical problems. The audio (commentary/crowd noise) would skip, stutter, and disappear or make an obnoxious noise. ID 2002 got stuck inbetween free throws (the ref wouldn't give the ball back), and NBA 2K2 got stuck inbetween the 3rd and 4th quarters (players gathered around the bench, recovered after several minutes).

The thing with 2K2 is, it's performance deteriorated over two days (wed. night to fri. night) until it stalled during the intro and I returned it the first time. Every copy I bought or rented after that has not made it through the intro. Trying to skip the intro results in the "Unable to recognize disc, may be dirty or damaged" console message.

Nvidia made the GPU and the sound chip. I believe that it's their first sound chip design. That's why I'm having Microsoft look at it before my warranty's up. I'm still going to try the game on my friends XBOX. I'll let you know what happens.

Kleen
03-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by robnyack
how come I am the only one who simply took his defective xbox back to the store I bought it (EB) and exchanged it, no questions asked for a new one right on the spot?

what's with this shipping it to microsoft crap?

I bought it from ebworld.com the first week of december. It's too late to return it to them. I have to overnight it to M$ and they "repair" or exchange it, then overnight it back. Takes about a week.

Woocifer
03-07-2002, 03:05 PM
You know I've been gritting my teeth through this whole forum. These games you have said Kleen are pretty junky in terms of presentation or it seems in coded mechanics. I've had problems with these games, except I've never tried NBA2K2. But I have had problems with multiple games, which is why I tried to start up a list of possible bad software that we've experienced.

I've had all sortsa weird things happen, and its not the box at all. To give you an example, I just got Rallisport(btw amazing game), and from the main menu you put in your name for your personal prefs. When you exit back to the menu without doing anything else, it seems to work fine. But if I race for a little while or change something around which it saves or has to compute a lot of info, it will crash when I go back to the main menu.

Now how exactly is that a hardware problem? I dont see it as one since the rest of the game works PERFECTLY and runs amazingly with your OWN music off of the hard drive. Thats a lot of stuff goin on for the hardware...so why would it all of the sudden just freeze when you're doing nothing but going back to the main screen? This is the first time a microsoft game has busted up like that, but its so not even in the way that I could care less. The game is amazing. Anyway, whether its the dvd disc or the info on it, I agree with the other guy here, I think its pure crappy coding or possible batch of garbage dvds.

Kleen
03-07-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm not saying that all the games are perfect, but the NBA 2K2 situation went from bad to worse. UFC obviously has software bugs, RAW, too. Hell, most games have something wrong with them. RAW usually starts to screw up worse and worse after playing for a while, but if you reset the machine the process starts over.

NBA 2K2 seemed like it was getting progressively worse over time. Each playng session seemed to lower performance, until it didn't load anymore.

I figure if my warranty is still good, why not send the machine to be examined? It only takes a week and if they find anything, that eliminates another variable. I found four defective copies at three different stores on Long Island, so either I should start playing the lotto or there are several defective shipments floating around. I haven't read or heard of anyone else having problems with 2K2, so why don't you guys do me a favor and rent it. My friend wants to borrow UFC, so I'll give him 2K2 at the same time to try.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you guys, I'm just trying to cover all the bases (while it's still free to do so).

xboxer2002
03-07-2002, 05:55 PM
I understand your point Kleen.It's always good to be cautious,especially when your warranty is running out.The only thing I'm saying is if it's playing a handful of your games with no problem, how in the world could it be your Xbox?Either it plays all the games or it doesn't play all the games.Anyways,I'll rent NBA 2K2 tonight and post my findings after extensive use of the game tonight.

Malachi
03-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Let us know how things went when you get your box back dood.

Kleen
03-08-2002, 01:12 PM
bump

Kleen
03-11-2002, 08:34 AM
Airborne Express is picking up my XBOX this morning to take it to M$ repair facility. Hopefully I'll get it back on Friday. The newer games still have problems. Halo failed to load in between levels on Saturday. I go t the "disc unrecognized, dirty or damaged" screen.

xboxer2002
03-11-2002, 10:36 AM
Kleen,
If you can find out what was wrong with your box when you get it back.I'm curious to know.

xtr0n187
03-11-2002, 10:59 AM
Kleen ive seen halo do that before. It usually happens in between levels if you let the FMV scene play out. I think this is common software glitch with halo. Not sure tho, all i know is its happened to me before.

Kleen
03-11-2002, 11:32 AM
I've never had Halo screw up before Saturday, other than when using Gamespy Tunnel. And Tunnel is making the game do something it wasn't design to do. If other people have had the same load error on Halo then it could be nothing (concerning my XBOX). When I get my XBOX back I'll let you guys know if M$ found any problems.

Kleen
03-13-2002, 10:59 AM
I got my XBOX back this morning. Only took two days. The form letter said that they repaired it, and from the labels on the bottom, they definitely opened it. I set it up then put in NBA 2K2. It still does not work.

I called M$ to see if they actually repaired anything. The girl looked me up in the computer and said that they found something wrong with the system board and replaced it. I told her that NBA 2K2 still didn't work, and she put me on hold. After a few minutes she told me to buy a "plastic lens cleaner" and use it to clean the DVD lens. If that doesn't work, they'll set up another repair.

xboxer2002
03-13-2002, 11:16 AM
Dude,
DO NOT USE A LENS CLEANER IN YOUR XBOX!!!!!You'll ruin it for sure.I've been a cpu tech for 4 years and know that by experience.Did you try replacing the a/v cable?If that don't work,try exchanging the game again.Defective games come in batches.She gave you some BAD advice on the lens cleaner issue.
Do any of your games work???I mean with no poblems??? If so,you got some bad software dude.It does happen.Remember the Dreamcast debacle.Everybody was taking back their dreamcasts,thinking they were defective, and it was buggy software all along.I think game companies are having problems with these dual-layered disks.You should have also sent in your NBA 2K2 disk with your box for them to try. By the way,as weird as it sounds,Some games for my Dreamcast won't work in my Dreamcast plugged into my 36 " tv,but will work with any other tv when it's plugged in.It's a very strange occurrence.Plug your xbox into another tv and see if that helps as well.

Kleen
03-13-2002, 11:59 AM
I'm going to exchange NBA 2K2 tomorrow (again). I bought the last copy on the shelf at Best Buy, maybe by now they have a new batch. It's been almost two weeks.

xtr0n187
03-13-2002, 05:18 PM
I went to go rent games at blockbuster yesterday, and one of the only games they had was nba 2002. I stayed away from that title because of what i read from kleens post. lol.....im not about to blow my money on $hitty software.

Kleen
03-16-2002, 09:08 PM
Surprise, surprise. NBA 2K2 copy number 5 did not work either. Airborne Express picked up my XBOX for it's second trip to Memphis is less than a week. I reiterated all the problems to the phone rep at M$, and he made detailed notes in my repair order. I asked if I should include my copy of NBA 2K2 so the techs could experience what I did, and he said no. Apparently they have their own library of software, only from what the guy said it wasn't clear if they use actual games. He said that they have some diagnostic test bench software that simulates different types of situations, operations and users. It's much faster than really doing it. That's all good but I'd like them to throw in a copy of NBA 2K2 and try to play it.

I rented Knockout Kings 2002 friday night, big time loading trouble there. Lots of stalls and stutters, audio got all screwed up, the works. I was able fight one bout each time I put the game in. It would freeze up loading after the fight.

Woocifer
03-16-2002, 11:19 PM
I got NBA 2k2 yesterday and it works perfectly fine. Sorry Kleen I don't mean to rub it in, just letting you know that it does seem to work on my system...this copy anyway

Sorry :( goodluck with all the **** you are dealing with

xtr0n187
03-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Yo Micro$oft should just hook you up with a new one man. Tell them you just wanted a good product that would work and you could enjoy games. Not a product that your second guessing its performance.You give alot of money to microsoft for the games and the hardware and the everything and its not right that you cant enjoy what it has to offer.

xboxer2002
03-17-2002, 07:40 AM
Yes Kleen.
You deserve a brand new Xbox and a free game from microsoft for your troubles.I feel for you man. Good luck.You should be able to enjoy your xbox.I hope it all works out.Keep us posted:p

Kleen
03-21-2002, 09:29 AM
My XBOX was back from repair trip #2 when I got home last night. Hooked it up, popped in NBA2K2, and made it through the "SEGASPORTS" and "Visual Concepts" logos just fine. Of course once I got to the intro video the disc started to skip and get lost. This time around I'm able to hit the button to skip the intro and the game EVENTUALLY loads. It takes 30-60 secs to get to the picture of A. Iverson, so long that it goes to the load with the big basketball.

I can hear the drive search all around the disc--it's totally lost. During game play it's very apparent because the commentary gets delayed big time, or cuts off and I get a buzzing noise that sounds like a motorboat is near by. The sound is always lagging and screwing up, right from the loading screen (which can take a while). Different events will jog the sound back to the right place sometimes (making a free throw, etc.). The game itself freezes ang gets lost, too. Replays freeze up and make you wait, and the drive gets lost in-between quarters a lot.

At least this time I can actually play the game consistently (I loaded it up several times to test when it fails). It still locked up completely once or twice, but most of the time I can skip the intro and get to the game. RAW still has it's audio/disc stuttering problem during the load screens and real-time RAW intro, but it's pretty good during gameplay and wrestler intros. It's hasn't cut to the buzzing noise or silence since before the first repair. I play these games with surround sound disabled in the XBOX console and on my receiver.

After loading up NBA2K2, I called 1-800 4MY-XBOX to complain. You know it's getting bad when you start getting the same reps and you remember their names. Anyway, Jeremiah immediately set me up for a third "repair," and said he was going to speak to his supervisor and the repair center about just replacing the damn thing already. He's supposed to email me and tell me what the deal is, but said most likely they will just replace it.

M$ offers extended warranties, 1 & 2 years for $25 & $50 respectively. I'll be investing in one for sure after all this. Honestly, I don't know what they're doing down there at that repair facility, and I don't think they know either. If someone complains about a game three times, you would think they would try out the game on the "repaired" machine before sending it back. One thing I forgot to asked was what (if anything) they repaired or found defective during the second repair.

Kortiz
03-21-2002, 09:53 AM
when you bought the game you should have gotten a warranty with the product...i did with bestbuy for 2 years, only 10bucks.

i think MS should give ya another xbox, or you can sell it on ebay..that would be funny, nah dont do that.

i notice RSC loads kind of slow....that is the only thing i got wrong with RSC, its an amazing game, im on an RSC kick right now, that is the only thing i have experienced that could be a bug with my xbox. oh well, back to finishing some classwork.

xtr0n187
03-22-2002, 01:12 AM
Wanna here weird ****....i bought john madden 2002 for the box. Game worked fine told me wierd stuff tho every once in a while like the disc is dirty or damged with blue lettering on a white background. So i returned it and went to get another and to my surprise it did it again. So i returned it again got a new one (i love the game).So basically on the fourth madden this time it would let me select teams and it went to the game load screen right before the kickoff with the hints and buttons screen. Well here is where it said the same message in blue lettering on a white background: "disc is dirty or damged". So i said you know what ...lemme mess with the xbox OS and erase my user settings from the harddrive from my previous games ....to my amazement the game is running perfectly no glitches so far.

Wierd if you ask me..... Lesson is dont pick the name i did.

MADD$'N got ****ed on 3 games....

UnitedKingdom
03-22-2002, 08:38 AM
My copy of project gotham racing kept jumping and skipping, the dvd drive was working overtime to try and read the disc. I only had the game a week until i noticed the actual disc had burn rings on it, about 6 of them. Straight back to the shop for a new copy, funny thing is all my other games work fine.

I spent £460 (nearly $650) on all my xbox stuff and i feel it isn't fair to give microsoft even more money for extra coverage.

http://www.shu.ac.uk/pri/decor/small_dj.jpg

ride
03-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by xboxer2002
It's common sense to know that If all your games don't do It, then It's not your Xbox.

not true (at least not according to Xbox tech support)

I was unable to play ANY of my games on one of xboxes without sitting there for about 20-30min turning it on & off and opening & closing the tray, tring to get the durn game to boot up, it usually worked, but only after about 50 times on average.

After about 2 days of this I got fed up and called xbox tech support. We went thru all kinds of stuff, clearing the HD of uneeded stuff, etc. then he asked me to "reset" the DVD drive by putting in a audio CD, which I did (it was one of the most scratched CD's I own too, I might add). To my amazement the CD played, the tech said that was a good sign, and asked me to put one of my games back in, which I did. guess what??? The game didn't start, I got a bad disk error, to wich the x tech said I have a bad DVD drive.

only thing is, all my years of systems admin. experience told me that it wasn't the DVD, but the OS..... hmmmmmmm?

Calve
03-22-2002, 05:09 PM
Ha u guys blow... never happened to me on any of those games :D

JimmieDoogan
03-22-2002, 05:37 PM
I didn't have any problems with my Xbox for about a month. Then all the sudden, New Legends would crash on me all the time in the same spot. So I thought "Its just the game, take it back and get a new one" so I got JSRF for it, and it works fine. Then I buy Nightcaster... and it freezes everytime I pick up a new Spell or Attribute point. Maybe its the game, so I take it back to the store (it was a used game) and try it out for a few hours on their system. Not even the slightest hiccup. I take it home, play it for a few hours, no problems. Everythings ok right... wrong. Then I go and buy Rallisport, and guess what, everytime I exit the menu to change profiles, it freezes. I get confirmation from other gamers that it is in fact the game as they also have the same troubles. However, during replays (at random times) it freezes. No confirmation from other gamers. I try that disc on my buddies Xbox (I thought maybe it had to do with using USER SOUNDTRACKs) for a few HOURS and no problems what so ever, in fact, we're able to use the games full functions without problem. Well, then I got the March demo disc from OXM, and it has all kinds of good content I can't access or that skips constantly. I knew then that it was time to send in the Xbox. I called em up, they picked it up Monday, I got it back yesterday. I do my checks. Nightcaster, not even the slight loading problems I had when pausing the game. Hmm... so far, good things I see. Next I try the Demo Disc that gave me grief before. To my amazement, the damn thing is SO freakin scratched in one spot that its odd the Xbox even boots it up at all. I think to myself "ahh no wonder it skipped" and I start the Hunter: The Reckoning trailer which hardly played at all before (due to scratches, or so I thought) and it runs absolutly flawless. FLAWLESS! What happened is that they changed my DVD drive out for a new one. The true test comes tomorrow when I get Rallisport back from my sister (How cool it is to have a sis who likes games). So far, so good.

BETA_PLUS
03-22-2002, 08:42 PM
there is no simple answer to this post. the best alternative is to not scratch or damage disks. it is impossible to do this because loading and unloading them can cause damage.

solution#1:Xbox megachanger.
solution#2:remote access to games via xbox online.:rolleyes:

Kleen
03-25-2002, 12:13 PM
bump

Kleen
03-28-2002, 09:42 PM
I. HATE. MICROSOFT.

Three repairs, allegedly replaced my XBOX during the third. The machine no longer works AT ALL. Flashing green & red light. Angry swear-filled call to M$. Fourth repair set up. Going to play Jedi Outcast.

I. HATE. MICROSOFT. :mad:

GokuX
03-28-2002, 09:55 PM
Are you serious man, dang that just stanks terribly. I'd be all over them at this point. I wonder if shipping is mishandling it.

Kleen
03-28-2002, 10:45 PM
I think M$'s repair boys are idiots. I bet they left something loose or just ****ed up altogether. The farthest I got was the clock setting screen, and the damn thing froze. There's 2 or 3 layers of stickers on the bottom of this thing. I'm not above buying a new one and swapping cases or serial numbers for the return. I don't think anyone can really blame me at this point. With my luck, that one wouldn't work either. I ****ing hate them.:mad:

GokuX
03-28-2002, 11:24 PM
Geez, I just wonder what the heck is going on. I mean do they actually hook your system to a tv and start it up? Or do they just stick some voltameters in it and take some readings and say it's good. Every piece of electronic equiment I've had the misfortune of actually sending in, the place never actually tested it to where they used it like a normal consumer would use it. They basically just took readings and said it was ok. Maybe it's a universal thing.

xtr0n187
03-29-2002, 01:10 AM
Yea these support people never hook em up and use it as the customer would, they actually use a computer to try and diagnose the problem and treat it. I think those tests suck because really they do nothing but lie to the diagnostic machines or fool them that everything is fine, then you get your hardware sent back to you and it still doesnt work.

Kleen if they dont replace the xbox for you(which they got to)...go ghetto styles and do the old switcheroo. However tell these fucckas that you went the repair route and that the thing doesnt work at all now, and you want a new xbox, i mean **** it probably was destroyed in shipping or in repair. Tell them these key phrases... "you broke my xbox"...."it at least played games prior to sending it in "

Those points are clear enough to warrant a shiny new xbox or product from any company, let alone microsoft, one of the richest corporations on earth.

good luck kleen .......and may the force be with you.

xtr0n187
03-29-2002, 01:10 AM
scratch

Spike Minoda
03-29-2002, 02:15 AM
I got some defects. my halo disc is either special edition (i highly, totally doubt) or it is just ****ed up. the needler rounds are yello and the light bridge on halo you fall through it unless you are in the exact middle. has anyone seen a green elite?

Kleen
03-29-2002, 08:58 AM
They use software to simulate different situations & diagnose the problem. I bet it's a "Hello World" program. Jesus. But seriously, one time I got it back and there was a "Screen Test" save on the hard drive. The whole situation is rediculous. The thing is dead now. The fourth repair order has already been placed, but I can't deal with them anymore. I'm just gonna buy a new XBOX and pull a fast one. I've already done some scouting, and I'm pretty handy with a blow dryer and paring knife.:D

xboxer2002
03-29-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Kleen
They use software to simulate different situations & diagnose the problem. I bet it's a "Hello World" program. Jesus. But seriously, one time I got it back and there was a "Screen Test" save on the hard drive. The whole situation is rediculous. The thing is dead now. The fourth repair order has already been placed, but I can't deal with them anymore. I'm just gonna buy a new XBOX and pull a fast one. I've already done some scouting, and I'm pretty handy with a blow dryer and paring knife.:D

thought they were going to send you a new one?

xboxer2002
03-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Kleen,
Buy one from walmart ,bring it home and stick the broken one in the box. Then call the manager and tell them that the xbox you bought for your crying kid was obviously opened and repackaged.They are notorious for repackaging.To save face thet will replace it.I did it with my friends dreamcast because he didn't have enough balls to do it. He actually spilled a soda in it.I had no receipt, was missing a game(sports pack0 and they still took it.Do what you have to do.

xtr0n187
03-29-2002, 12:09 PM
All i got left to say is ..remember to use the torx head screwdriver!

Kleen
03-29-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by xboxer2002

thought they were going to send you a new one?

The guy at 1-800-4MYXBOX said that it was replaced when I called thursday afternoon. When I got it, it had a new serial number sticker over the old one, and patches over the holes they made for the screwdriver. So I guess they want me to believe that they replaced the electronics and used the old case.

Getting the box open without breaking the seal will be easy enough (I practiced last night with my old box), I'm not sure about the serial number and other labels. The techs at the "repair" center seem to have removed the silver label with heat, but opted to jab the screw driver through the two white labels. Maybe they were just impatient.

I don't think I'll need the TORX screwdriver just yet, since to switch cases I'd have to remove the labels anyway, I might as well just swap labels and leave it at that. Still, I'm curious to see what they did in there. Does Radio Sahck sell the TORX wrench?

Kortiz
03-29-2002, 06:32 PM
you are either lieing........or MS has a big prob on their hands.

if they repaired it, it would have worked just fine. when you get it it seems to not work

I know that MS repair techies arnt that stupid. so if it was broken then they wouldnt give it back to you and hope you just live with it.

and why didnt you get a 2 year warranty? it cost me 10bucks at best buy. i dont understand why you didnt get an extended warranty.

oh well, hope everything works out......might be making the wrong conclusion, but do you have another acct here with the name SmileBit? er sompin to that effect? if not im just joking but if so then i hope you die!!!

Kleen
03-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Man, I must be doomed or some ****. I bought a new XBOX for the swap. Took the labels off of mine, cleaned it up, and opened the box of the new XBOX (seal intact). I started taking off all the ****, and flipped the new XBOX over. Apparently, somebody beat me to the punch, because from the labels I can tell this thing has be repaired already! AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH! WTF!!! I hooked it up anyway to test it out, and it's playing NBA2K2 without a hitch, so far. What the **** am I supposed to do now? I guess I should take it back and demand a new one, or so I take it back for a refund and pretend I didn't open it? Or say I say the patch on the serial # sticker through the hole (I'm not sure if it was visible)? The sticker seal on the box looked fishy (three labels and was obviously removed before). I asked the lady if it had been opened and she said, "Oh, they all look that way when they're shipped!" Indeed. Shipped back for repair, maybe. :mad:

GokuX
03-29-2002, 07:45 PM
Looks like U opened up a whole new can of worms with the Wal-Mart switcheroo plan. Now ya got even more troubles to deal with. I'd say return and get your money back, and just hope MS can fix your original one the fourth time around.

Kleen
03-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Yeah, this is getting complicated. If M$ ****s up a 4th time (which the odds say the will), I'll ****ing kill someone. To top it off, I was jusat rushing to return this thing, and halfway there I realized that I'd left NBA 2K2 in the drive. I had to turn around and open it up again. I just plugged in the power with all the plastic **** still on it, and I got a flashing yellow light. WTF does that mean?! I turned it off quick and threw it back in the box. It's not my problem. KB opens tomorrow at 9.

xboxer2002
03-29-2002, 09:23 PM
Rock on Bro

GokuX
03-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Dang Kleen, I don't think I've expressed how much it stinks to be you right now. But IT does. Did U happen to break a mirror lately, walk under a ladder, open an umbrella in your house, or cross the path of a black cat lately. Cuz it sounds like you're having nothing but bad luck. Maybe they'll accidentally drop money in the box when they ship it back to ya. Your luck is bound to change or you could just be cursed for another 6 years and 10 months.

Kleen
03-30-2002, 05:37 AM
When I called M$, the said the "new" box wasn't registered as previously owned, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't. They told me to take it back to KB and find out what's going on. If go in there accusing people of switching systems, that kind of ruins my whole plan (at that KB, anyway). I guess I better get my money back, and maybe try the swap somewhere else.

Kleen
04-01-2002, 05:47 PM
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.:D

xboxer2002
04-01-2002, 07:27 PM
Glad to hear it!!!!

Kleen
04-01-2002, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all your support, guys.

xtr0n187
04-02-2002, 01:01 AM
Good to hear Kleen.......So I take it the swap went well and the software plays without a hitch?

If so i think its a little fuccked up that M$ didnt give you a new one, and had to drive you to questionable measures to reach the means. These fucckas at m$ need to get a clue, that you dont sell shotty hardware and then not offer to replace it. Shame on you Microsoft..... Customer Service boils down to one fact....The Customer...without us microsoft just has a bunch of black boxes with chips and boards and not a Xbox..We ultimately are the ones who drive the gaming market and console market to the levels we are witnessing today. Not the manufacturers. Boo m$

FeelinDandy
04-02-2002, 04:33 AM
One of the songs in PGR comes in and out but only one of them..

Kleen
04-02-2002, 08:56 AM
I've only tried RAW and NBA 2K2, but they performed the worst of all my games and now they work great. No hiccups. What a friggin' relief. I guess that all those RAW discs weren't defective after all.

The swap went off without a hitch. They couldn't even tell that I'd opened it. They were more concerned with everything being inside than anything, and the manager woman almost opened it to check. I gave them a gift story and they bought it.

The first attempt at KB went sour because the new machine had already been repaired. The box was all beat up and resealed so I called M$ and had them run the serial #. That was inconclusive. I took it back and they lady couldn't believe it. When she checked, all the XBOXs they had were like that.

I'll will try all my games throughout the week, but the machine looks to be tip-top. It sucks that I had to go through all this crap for a working XBOX. I have my old serial numbers on this new machine, so I'm thinking of extending my warranty. Only thing is, my warranty didn't hellp me the last time...