PDA

View Full Version : DVD In-Game graphics?

Dre
03-03-2002, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone,

Just a technical question I hope someone knows the answer too. Is it possible for the XBOX to switch to DVD playback mode during a game? I was just thinking that cut-scenes could be brought to the next level using this technique. I think the PS2 can do it (FFX Cutscenes seem dvd like). It might even already exist in a game I haven't had the chance to checkout, if it does, let me know.. I wanna see!! :)

Thanks,
Dre

stang46
03-03-2002, 11:18 PM
Well I know in MX2002 its cuts to DVD film of motorcross racing at certain times. So yeah, I think its very possible...

Toder
03-03-2002, 11:50 PM
All the games for xbox are dvd disc. So they can already do it.

Dre
03-04-2002, 01:19 AM
There is a big difference between dvd playback mode and gaming mode. Just because the games are on actual dvds does not necessarily mean the xbox has the inherent capability to switch modes at will.

I've emailed xbox dev support with the question.., I doubt they'll get back to me but if they do, I'll let you all know the official response.

And Stang, thanks... I'll have to check out MX2002.

Cheers,
Dre

Hugh_Jass
03-04-2002, 08:52 AM
Sure, it's possible. However, this practice is generally frowned upon because it separates you from the game. Cut scenes using the game engine are used to create a seamless transition between the game and the narrative.

One of the gripes I have about FF is that all the ads on TV show you the cut scenes but the actual game looks like crap. It borders on false advertising, if you ask me.