PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Emulators

FpS_PhReeK
03-04-2002, 12:41 AM
Hi all,

I have been down-loading songs off of Kazaa like mad and I decided to key in Xbox in a software search and I came up with several users providing Xbox Emulators..... I was wondering if anyone had tried one out?

I think it would be great to play Halo on my PC with a mouse. This would also allow me to play at work :) via laptop. So let me know if anyone has tried one out.

Also I noticed a couple users claiming to have the software necessary to burn the titles... but I do not see how this would be possible because the games are big enough to require multiple disks and the second you open the disk drive to change to the next disk the game would stop.... so anyhoo that is another debate..... I give it a month before we see Xbox disks burnt in Asian markets if they are not being made at this time.

PhReeK out!

Rancey
03-04-2002, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't truse ANYBODY promoting an XBox emulator. Remember that site that said they made an emulator and it turned out to be a trojan? Just a voice of warning.

E-Xbox
03-04-2002, 07:03 AM
right now.....an xbox emulator is BS
u would need an amazing comp n e ways
2-3 x better than the xbox itselft
plus there is not even a working dc or ps2 emulator
so dont expect an xbox one n e time soon

FpS_PhReeK
03-04-2002, 08:30 AM
u would need an amazing comp n e ways
2-3 x better than the xbox itselft

I do not understand why that would be so. I mean the Xbox is not that really that cutting edge, the specs all can be exceeded on a pc, the big issue would be the graphics card.

plus there is not even a working dc or ps2

I personally can not attest to the existance of a working ps2 or DC emulator, but what I do know is that the Asian markets operate soooooooo much faster thann people in Europe and the U.S. when it comes to cracking and hacking. I was given a PS1 emulator and a copy of Metal Gear Solid from a Taiwanese student at my University three years ago. Worked very well on my Gateway Computer w/ a PII-233 MHZ.

I fail to believe that just because we have not seen one that means that one does not exist........ I do not really like Shadow Fox , but I respect him; he knows the low-down on this stuff, I would like to heaar his opinion on the emulator issue and the ability of the CPU that might be required to handle such a task.

PhReeK out!

GokuX
03-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Unless, someone actually has hard evidence that emulating the Xbox is possible I'm not gonna believe. Heck, I'm not gonna believe unless its actually running on my computer. Many people can throw a Windows interface together and say it emulates the Xbox or any other system and make it available for download. It's not that difficult. Or they can toss some screenshots together in Photoshop. I threw a fake DC emulator screenshot together for a different message board a year or so ago to make a point of some people's gullibility. You wouldn't believe the sheer amount of people that believed it was real and were asking me for it. I probably coulda given them a mail address and asked them to send cash and they would have. People who wanna believe something so bad will completely ignore rationality and logic. Yeah, the Xbox is made from PC hardware but I believe it's the level of integrating and optimization that sets it apart from a normally put together PC, I could be wrong though; but do U actually think that an emulator that comes out in the first couple of months would be able to emulate HALO at a framerate that would be even close to playable with less than a P4 2.0 ghz and a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 or a top of the line Athlon/GF3 system? I doubt it. As far as games go I believe they've been cracked.:cool:

FpS_PhReeK
03-04-2002, 09:45 AM
But I do not really understand how you can say that a PC would require:

P4 2.0 ghz and a Geforce 4 Ti 4600 or a top of the line Athlon/GF3 system?

To play Halo at a smooth frame rate. I mean look at the Xbox specs.... they are up there but hardly cutting edge. The big deal is the GPU...

Central Processing Unit: 733 Mhz Intel Processor
GPU: 300 Mhz X-Chip (in conjunction with nVidia
Storage: 4x DVD drive with playback, 8 gig hard drive, Internet Memory: 64 megs of DDR (6.4 gigs/sec bandwith)

P4 2.o GhZ seems hardly necessary, again this is a hypothesis to be tested, an educated guess, or a shot in a dimy lit room as a posed to the dark.

I also agree with your assertion that the games have been cracked,,,,, I doubt they will be seen in the U.S. market for sometime.

PhReeK out!

GokuX
03-04-2002, 10:42 AM
So U believe a Pentium 733 computer with 64 megs of ram and and a GF 3 card could emulate the Xbox, actually pull off for instance PGR, DOA3? I have a 733/GF w/ 452 megs of ram it and it chokes on Max Payne. From my experience with my own PC I really have a hard time believing that a comp with such low specs could "emulate" the Xbox.

RudedogX
03-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Here would be my question...why would you want to get and XBox emulator? It's just like 'ripping' the games! You're stealing from the developer of the system instead of the developer of the games, but it, like ripping games can lead to the cancellation of the system due to lack of revenue. I for one would hope that if (somehow) someone was able to create an emulator, they would be served a cease and desist order before the emulator ever got out to the public!

Craggle
03-04-2002, 11:57 AM
I found a file claiming to be an xbox emu but in fact it was a file that randomly changed the time on the bottom right hand corner on the taskbar... Man that was sooo annoying!!!!

Highlite23
03-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Jason-XBA
I wouldn't truse ANYBODY promoting an XBox emulator. Remember that site that said they made an emulator and it turned out to be a trojan? Just a voice of warning.

I second Jasons comments........:confused:

baggachipz
03-04-2002, 01:25 PM
I can tell you, the reason that an emulator would require such substantial hardware is because all of the xbox's hardware is dedicated to the one task of playing games. A normal PC has so much going on in the background. It spends tons of resources on the operating system alone. Yeah, xbox runs on a win2k kernel, but it's a significantly stripped-down version.

So, that's why the hardware in the xbox is considered "cutting edge" -- it simply doesn't require all of the additional power that your average PC requires for overhead.

Far as the ethical concerns go regarding "ripping"...
I think we'd all agree that the PSX was the most pirated console ever. It was easy to do; a simple mod chip and this thing reads normal cd-r's! It didn't exactly mean the demise of the PSX. Rather, I think the ability to get games in this way catapulted it to becoming the dominant console. Sure, people pirated some games... but people that do this (I've never been one since I didn't own a PSX) also buy legitimate games. But, they wouldn't have bought that console had they not been able to use pirated games. I think everyone here has downloaded music from Napster or Morpheus or wherever. And, I can say personally that I use that music as sort of a demo for whether or not I want to buy a CD. Personally, I'm not going to risk 17 bucks on a CD from just hearing one song on the radio. I want to hear more of the CD, and that's where online music comes in. These technologies only help the music industry!

Oh, wow, this turned into a major rant. Sorry.:o

Razor70
03-04-2002, 01:36 PM
I have seen too many horror stories about Emulators that contain virsus for computers and I know alot of programs that come off KaZaa and Morpheus have been known to have hidden virsus in them...so all I got to say is to be careful. If it's too good to be true then it's probably not true. That's my feelings on the the topic.

Plus I would rather spend 300 on a Xbox and play the games the right way..than to have to replace a 900 to 1200 dollar computer because of a virus or something else.

GokuX
03-04-2002, 02:11 PM
U know how agressive MS is with competitiors, so I think that if people did create an emulator, MS would probably be all over them and make their lives a nightmare of legal actions against said persons if they found out. I could be off, but Sony did finally manage to shut Bleem down or at least did some damage that contributed to their demise. MS may be more exacting than Sony.

sgt_dingo
03-04-2002, 02:26 PM
I am not sure when but someone opened an XBOX and took out the BIOS and then apparently (SP?) procceded to rip the BIOS code. he then announced (sp?) that he had the code, yada yada yada, on the internet and that he would publish the code or create a program or something. within 24 hours Microsoft had left a message on his answering machine saying if he published then they would press charges. so yeah XBOX emulator= BS

wweomaniac
03-04-2002, 03:42 PM
i would be a lot easier to make an xbox emulator than an N64 emulator since its on DVD, but I doubt that anyone has successfully attempted to do that yet. Its only been 4 months since XBOX came out.

Don't trust emulators.

FpS_PhReeK
03-04-2002, 03:46 PM
I did not down load anything related to this matter becasue I shared your concerns of possible trojan viruses. I personally have my Xbox, I do not need to play on my CPU, but it would be nice to be able to take Halo where ever I wanted to on my laptop.

I would like to make sure that people realize that this was a hypothetical inquiry.... basically asking can it be done.

This was not a ethical debate...... asking should it be done.
Obviously people get really touchy when making this discussion, and I agree with the points made by those who are against emulators.

I would like the ability to back up my titles.... but then everyone says that this would get out of hand and we would see a run of pirated games.

The next logical step to me seems to be for Xbox game owners to be allowed to register their titles with either the software developers, their local store like EB, or with MS, so that if a game disk should be damaged or scratched it should be replaced either for free or for like the cost of the disk $5-7,,,,, I would just hate to buy a title again just because it got damaged or scratched. 50 bucks a pop.... ouch.

I am just looking down the road and exploring options let me know what you guys think about this idea.

PhReeK out!

FpS_PhReeK
03-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Give me some feedback on my post above this one....

Thanks all,

PhReeK out!

GokuX
03-04-2002, 08:05 PM
Well EB could offer that service, it makes sense. Heck, I bet U they have even thought of implementing it already. Maybe they just aren't sure if enough people would subscribe to such a service. They would probably charge a higher price of at least $20 - $30 for such a service, otherwise they might lose money if alot of people are bringing in games with the tiniest scratches. Perhaps U could e-mail the corprate headquarters with your idea, perhaps get some names of people that would pay for such a service. If they see money in it, then they'll probably do it. As far as game makers go, all offer some type of warranty, but that doesn't cover negligence which they'd assume scratches were the result of. Most will either try to repair or replace a damaged disk after warranty expiration for a $10 - $15 fee as long as U send in the damaged disk.

Wreckless
03-04-2002, 08:15 PM
I was searching around and BAM!!!

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1336713255

baggachipz
03-04-2002, 10:57 PM
:rolleyes:

GokuX
03-04-2002, 11:53 PM
A sucker is born every 15 minutes.

baggachipz